About the Wiimote/nunchuk ... some play exaples needed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts
Some friends (mostly PC players) tried Wiisports, Red Steel and Zelda, they think that the nunchuk does not really precisely detect movement, it just reacts to timing and position when the movement is triggered : in Wiisports tennis it will only detect when and how you hit the ball, not the real movement you make (and making just a wrist move will do the same that the ample arm move) ; on Red Steel there are only a few possibilities (some attacks and some parries) who are also triggered by timing, not the actual complex move you could try to do to trick the game (begin a large side move and finally strike front) ; for Zelda, they say that throwing items at opponents and other combat moves were sipmler with old gen pads. I think it's a way to manage the different sizes players have (a tall adult and a 11 year girl) that can't do the same amplitude of move. It would also be no fun if you play with a real tennis player or golfer and as he knows the moves better, noone would have fun palying with them Though I must say that if it only has limited possibilities and is not faithful to what was announced as "revolutionary new motion detection and awesome gameplay due to faithful transaltion of your movements on screen". I'm just asking your play feel about motion detection and what happens on screen ...
wii4panta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wii4panta
Member since 2007 • 2886 Posts
it just needs pructice.(now)i find them almost perfect(nothing can be perfect:wink:)
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

It's considered revolutionary in that it simplifies button controls mashing that would have required a combo. Controllers are considered one of the barriers into gaming.

Also the wiimote makes one feel more into the action. Old people love wii sports bowling and quite frankly on a regular gamepad a bowling game doesn't make people applaud like they will do with the wiisports bowling.

Also golf, tennis become more physical and people tend to get more excited and into the game then with a gamepad.

That is what makes the wii revolutionary.

Also the wii can put in new gameplay mechanics. Look at cooking mama for the wii. Trauma Center.

Consider also racing games using the wiimote like a racing wheel.

Fishing as well. What's more interactive using a gamepad or use the wiimote like a rod and the nunchuck like the reel?

porphyrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 porphyrous
Member since 2006 • 114 Posts
I would agree with your friends. The Nunchuk doesn't send out IR signals so there's nothing for the sensor bar to read from it. I think whatever control is coming from the Nunchuk is more of a simple "tilt" switch, which wouldn't be as precise. The Remote, on the other hand, has both and is quite precise (to the point of being touchy in some cases). Definitely the Remote was meant for the heavy lifting on the Wii, metaphorically speaking. David V .
meimnobody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 meimnobody
Member since 2003 • 5565 Posts

I would agree with your friends. The Nunchuk doesn't send out IR signals so there's nothing for the sensor bar to read from it. I think whatever control is coming from the Nunchuk is more of a simple "tilt" switch, which wouldn't be as precise. The Remote, on the other hand, has both and is quite precise (to the point of being touchy in some cases). Definitely the Remote was meant for the heavy lifting on the Wii, metaphorically speaking. David V .porphyrous

The tilt in the wiimote communicates btw of bluetooth. Pointing functions is IR.

The nunchuck has an accerormoter blah cannot spell it. Basically it reads the acceleration in what direction it is being moved. Not as refined as the wiimote tilt sensor. Requires more programming to compensate. If it had as sophiscated a sensor as the wiimote it would drain far more power and require it's own signal to the sensor bar. Too much cost at the moment and too much interferance likely. Next wii console rendition should bring a far more sophiscated nunchuck.

shark2k6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shark2k6
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

Both the nunchuck and the Wii Remote have accelerometers in them.  Read up on how it works here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerometer  The only pin-point accurate part of the Wii Remote is the pointing feature  In order for the motion sensing to be accurate the developers need to do so many calculations to detect the motions from the player.

-Shark2k

Lamilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Lamilia
Member since 2006 • 603 Posts
in Wiisports tennis it will only detect when and how you hit the ball, not the real movement you make (and making just a wrist move will do the same that the ample arm move)  TheTenth10

Thats because they wanted you to just move a bit not swing your arms wildly and throw your wiimote into tvs...but people still throw their wiimotes and they break things.