About a Wii DVD Channel

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bataco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bataco
Member since 2007 • 255 Posts

I was thinking a lot about advd channel for the wii and you know what? I really think they can do it, a lot of people say it's a matter of hardware but I think that's not true because the wii uses dvd discs with a special protection so they could do a channel with a special firmware so that protection could get unlocked in the channel and be able to play dvd movies in the channel what do you thinK? :)

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

It's impossible now because Nintendo would have to pay over ten million consoles worth of DVD fees if they were to do that.

Spend 20 bucks and grab a DVD player.

PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Nintendo already said that if they were to add DVD playback you would have to buy an attachment.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts
Yes the wii hardware is capable of playing DVD's(so was the Gamecube), but like others have said, licensing fees would add on to the cost of the wii.
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I was thinking a lot about advd channel for the wii and you know what? I really think they can do it, a lot of people say it's a matter of hardware but I think that's not true because the wii uses dvd discs with a special protection so they could do a channel with a special firmware so that protection could get unlocked in the channel and be able to play dvd movies in the channel what do you thinK? :)

bataco

Wii doesn't use regular DVD discs.

dagstar84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dagstar84
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.dagstar84

Show me a link that says this please. Thank you.

yohnazo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yohnazo
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts

I think it would be quite cool but it would take a long time for them to set up and it would cost them alot of money.

potatoman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 potatoman23
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

well i know this is kind of off the subject but like...who really cares about their wii having a dvd player? like pretty much EVERYONE has at least one dvd player in theyre house and they dont need to have another one in theyre wii so i dont really think a wiivd is needed(see the wiivd thing? yea thats right i just made it up lol)

potatoman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 potatoman23
Member since 2007 • 85 Posts

well i know this is kind of off the subject but like...who really cares about their wii having a dvd player? like pretty much EVERYONE has at least one dvd player in theyre house and they dont need to have another one in theyre wii so i dont really think a wiivd is needed(see the wiivd thing? yea thats right i just made it up lol)

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

It's impossible now because Nintendo would have to pay over ten million consoles worth of DVD fees if they were to do that.

Jaysonguy

*Gasp* Why would they want to do that, when the could pocket our cash?!? I say screw Nintendo! They steal atleast $50 from every Wii they sell!

Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Relys

*Gasp* Why would they want to do that, when the could pocket our cash?!? I say screw Nintendo! They steal atleast $50 from every Wii they sell!

You did CHOOSE to buy it right? They got to make profits and you chose to help them out. Your fault.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Relys"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Duckman5

You did CHOOSE to buy it right? They got to make profits and you chose to help them out. Your fault.

I think he lives in the one country that forces you to buy the console plus every single game made.

Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts
[QUOTE="Relys"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

Duckman5

He's got you there. You went out and bought a Wii, and last I checked Nintendo never said that the Wii was going to be able to play DVD's. So, why are you complaining? Besides DVD players have been out for a while, I'd be surprised if you didn't have one. Also, because of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD's, a normal DVD player probably doesn't cost that much anymore...

Avatar image for Legend_O_Dragon
Legend_O_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Legend_O_Dragon
Member since 2004 • 7029 Posts

[QUOTE="dagstar84"]***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.Duckman5

I remember reading that too. So why dont you search for it if you want a link man. Its pretty easy, its called google or yahoo.
fmacraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fmacraze
Member since 2007 • 5658 Posts
its 2007 ppl... atleast everyone has a dvd player... so why do yu need on on yur wii?... just seems rather pointless...
GSmashX_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 GSmashX_202
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts

[QUOTE="dagstar84"]***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.Duckman5

here's that link:shock:

Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
[QUOTE="Duckman5"]

[QUOTE="dagstar84"]***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.GSmashX_202

That's for the Japan market, not the U.S.

Just buy a DVD player, does it really matter if the Wii doesn't have one? The Wii is a gaming console, not an entertainment center.

GSmashX_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 GSmashX_202
Member since 2007 • 601 Posts
[QUOTE="GSmashX_202"][QUOTE="Duckman5"]

[QUOTE="dagstar84"]***, as mentioned Nintendo would have to pay license fee's for the consoles already sold. They stated themselves that a DVD enabled Wii might come, but that the feature won't be added to the consoles already out there. Of course it is possible. But they won't do it. And really? Who needs it? Media Center functionality via WLAN would be great, but that is even more unlikely.Bass7

That's for the Japan market, not the U.S.

Just buy a DVD player, does it really matter if the Wii doesn't have one? The Wii is a gaming console, not an entertainment center.

Misread that sorry:|

Go with the DVD player (it's going to be a long time anyway for the DVD wiis to hit the US)

bataco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bataco
Yeah everyone can get a dvd for a few bucks but still the dvd channel idea is good... but what do you mean with the "licence fee" why would they have to pay a fee?
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jaysonguy

Yeah everyone can get a dvd for a few bucks but still the dvd channel idea is good... but what do you mean with the "licence fee" why would they have to pay a fee?bataco

In order to play the format you need to pay the license. You can't just add DVD support alone without paying the owners of the format.

Just like Blu-Ray and HDDVD this round.

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 awptimistic
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts
ummmmmmm there are ways of watching dvds on wii~
bataco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bataco

ummmmmmm there are ways of watching dvds on wii~awptimistic

Oh yeah I know and that's why I think nintendo can do it in a legitimate way... but they should make another wii version or something like that because of what they say about the license :(

bmaick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bmaick
Member since 2007 • 374 Posts
The Wii needs a special "disc reading laser" (i think thats the name) to play DVD's, so it can't be possible to have a DVD Channel
PyroPice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PyroPice
Member since 2007 • 443 Posts

[QUOTE="bataco"]Yeah everyone can get a dvd for a few bucks but still the dvd channel idea is good... but what do you mean with the "licence fee" why would they have to pay a fee?Jaysonguy

In order to play the format you need to pay the license. You can't just add DVD support alone without paying the owners of the format.

Just like Blu-Ray and HDDVD this round.

well you see the dvd format is not truley owned anymore by any one company, when it first came out it was liscened by comanines like whats happening this round (microsoft and toshiba respectively ) but now over 250 companies have rights to the fromat and it basically costs 3.00 per player, so yeah it woulnd tbe too bad for nintedno to cough up the doe but is it really neccasarry?

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 awptimistic
XD what if they make wii-dvds hahaha HD, UMD, DVD, BlueRay, and Wii-DVD
Haligonian_Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Haligonian_Wii
Member since 2007 • 488 Posts
Go buy a DVD player, they're like 15 bucks.
bataco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bataco
yeah i know I already have a dvd in the place where I have my wii, I went on a trip and my brother and i were thinking of taking the wii or the ps2 and we took the ps2 because it was able to play dvd's! heh
DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DopeyDavoid
Member since 2004 • 5375 Posts
[QUOTE="bataco"]

dotWithShoes

It does use regular DVD discs.... what else do you think it uses?

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts

what he said is like... a few months younger then the wii.... Google it !

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="bataco"]

DopeyDavoid

Regular DVD SIZED discs... they don't run on the DVD format... otherwise you could pop it into the PC and play it... duh.

DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DopeyDavoid
[QUOTE="DopeyDavoid"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="bataco"]

Virus214

Regular DVD SIZED discs... they don't run on the DVD format... otherwise you could pop it into the PC and play it... duh.

Are we talking physical size or storage size here? Because the wii supports dual-layer.

I really don't understand what your on about, but i know the wii can play dvd movies using homebrew.

awptimistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 awptimistic
[QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="DopeyDavoid"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="bataco"]

DopeyDavoid

Are we talking physical size or storage size here? Because the wii supports dual-layer.

I really don't understand what your on about, but i know the wii can play dvd movies using homebrew.

word. but shhh not suppose to talk bout that ~ XD

but um, this guy is right. dual-layer dvd. DVD-R DVD + R . Im not talking bout homebrew am i?

DopeyDavoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DopeyDavoid
[QUOTE="DopeyDavoid"][QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="DopeyDavoid"][QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="bataco"]

awptimistic

word. but shhh not suppose to talk bout that ~ XD

but um, this guy is right. dual-layer dvd. DVD-R DVD + R . Im not talking bout homebrew am i?

I don't nkow what anyones talking about anymore XD

bones3417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bones3417
Member since 2008 • 704 Posts
how about buy movies in the wii shopp channel?
T_Largo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 T_Largo
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

I hacked my wii and it plays DVD's now! Didnt even have to pay anything, just download some software and use the twilight hackirongobbo

Yeah, I've tried this (but have since re-formatted my Wii after coming to my senses) and it DID infact work. My question is, how can the Wii do this if supposedly its a hardware issue?

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
All the Wii requires is a firmware update from Nintendo to play DVD's.Nintendo's claims that it's more than just a firmware update is bogus.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#40 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts
Well, I don't recall Ninty ever saying a DVD Playback attachment, but like almost everyone said, buy a DVD Player. I have a Wii, TV, Digital Cable, and a DVD Player in my room and soon to get a 360.
alexh_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 alexh_99
Member since 2007 • 5378 Posts
how about dont bump up old threads
santiagochile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 santiagochile
Member since 2005 • 1717 Posts

All the Wii requires is a firmware update from Nintendo to play DVD's.Nintendo's claims that it's more than just a firmware update is bogus.VGobbsesser

Where is your evidence?

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if a simple FW update could enable official DVD playback, because the Wii can play standard DVDs (Yes, it can)