A non-linear game with good replay value?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Besides Geometry Wars Galaxies (which I am playing daily), it seems like my Wii collection consists entirely of play-once-and-forget games.

Can anyone recommend me a quality game with good replay value - preferably non-linear, exclusively for singleplayering?

I currently own Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Metrpod Prime 3 and Geometry Wars Galaxies. The only game with any real replay value for me is GWG.

Would love to have more games to play on my Wii. Right now it's taking a back seat to my DS.

Link9n17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Link9n17
Member since 2008 • 1491 Posts
Twilight Princess or Guitar hero 3, and maybe Mario Strikers Charged.
johnnyv2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 johnnyv2003
Member since 2003 • 13762 Posts
super smash bros. brawl...MK:Wii
bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
Twilight Princess, Brawl, and Okami.
Picklechugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Picklechugger
Member since 2004 • 1465 Posts
Well non-linear makes it tricky, but if we don't focus on that there are some good ones. I rented Castle of Shikigami 3 yesterday, and have logged 7 hours or so into it, it's a fantastic game. The best part is that there are 10 characters to choose from, and they're quite different, so playing through several times is definitely welcomed. Check that one out. I've also been playing Gunstar Heroes a lot, the difficulty settings make it replayable, but not as much as others.
Legend_of_Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Legend_of_Geno
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

Twilight princess.

try some gc games if u dont have them already?

paper mario is a great free roamer and re4 of course

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Twilight Princess, Brawl, and Okami.bededog
TP and Okami... good replay value?
gamerkid600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gamerkid600
Member since 2008 • 435 Posts

super smash bros. brawl...MK:Wiijohnnyv2003

^ What he said ^

JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Bully and The Godfather both great games and with alot of replay value also PES or Madden

DeathShadoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DeathShadoe
Member since 2008 • 67 Posts

I would have to suggest Super Smash Bros. Brawl (SSBB). It is non-linear, except for the subspace emissary, and most of its gameplay is made up of replay value. With online play, a custom stage builder, and the biggest roster of all, I would suggest Brawl to anyone who wants a new Wii game. :D

mlitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mlitty
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
I can't say enough good things about Zelda Twilight Princess. I've solved it three times and still have not finished a few of the mini-games. My daughters love to watch me play (ages between 5 and 10). I like to take my time and dig into the worlds and characters. TP has given me over 150 hours of fun, and my youngest still asks to watch me play. She likes to take control in some of the more tame areas and I take over when the baddies get too bad. Okami is another great recent discovery of mine. The games have a lot of game play similarities, and some of the world elements have a very familiar feel from one game to another, though they are significantly different enough to exist in their own merits. Okami is a bit talkie for me. There are sections where I may read screens for five minutes or more just to get to the next scene. Both TP and Okami do a great job of layering their worlds. As you gain experience, abilities, tools, and toys, it pays to go back and re-visit areas. This layering keeps the exploration fresh. They also both have "portal" type transport as you unlock areas. This keeps you from having to run across world every time you need to get somewhere. On the other hand, I don't often use them. Using the portals, I tend to miss little details like glowing bugs and such. Both games are great fun. I'd rate TP higher of the two, but I'm really enjoying Okami and don't regret a penny of the purchase. Enjoy, and let us know what games you purchase and how you like them. I'm already looking for my next free-range world explore game. I'd really love to see GTA4 on the Wii. The Godfather looks a little over-the-top graphically violent for me (a lot of tortured screaming and such). RE4 looks promising. I'm less bothered blowing the head off of a zombie than I am setting a shop owner on fire.
webhead921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 webhead921
Member since 2009 • 684 Posts

Bully and Godfather are both very entertaining on the wii (I would recommend Bully over Godfather, but only slightly). I really love both games. Both of them involve a lot of exploration, character customization, and both have replay value.

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts

On what planetis Twilight Princess not linear?

Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts

psychobrew
On what planet is every game not linear to a certain extent. Its not like you can play the end, beginning then the middle, Twilight Princess like every game has a dedicated path, but you can go off the beaten path and do some side missions, collect things, or just some general roaming.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

Besides Geometry Wars Galaxies (which I am playing daily), it seems like my Wii collection consists entirely of play-once-and-forget games.

Can anyone recommend me a quality game with good replay value - preferably non-linear, exclusively for singleplayering?

I currently own Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Metrpod Prime 3 and Geometry Wars Galaxies. The only game with any real replay value for me is GWG.

Would love to have more games to play on my Wii. Right now it's taking a back seat to my DS.

I had that problem with Geometry Wars when i got it. I couldnt play anything else. it is such an intense game, very nice visuals, and tons of replay. i was ranked 7th, last i checked, i only play now when i get knocked out of the top10, i need to go check :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

[QUOTE="psychobrew"]

Sepewrath

On what planet is every game not linear to a certain extent. Its not like you can play the end, beginning then the middle, Twilight Princess like every game has a dedicated path, but you can go off the beaten path and do some side missions, collect things, or just some general roaming.

Twilight Princess is quite a linear game compared to say...Ocarina of Time.You're pretty much bound to do the same temples in the same order every single time you play it,and there are moments of little freedom (like the early wold portions).In Ocarina of Time,there were certain points in the same where you could choose to do certain temples in a certain order that you'd like.I mean,there are a couple of sequence breaks in Twilight Princess,like skipping the Temple of Time and going to City in the Sky early,but as for the intended developer route,it's quite linear.

da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
[QUOTE="VGobbsesser"]

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="psychobrew"]

Twilight Princess is quite a linear game compared to say...Ocarina of Time.You're pretty much bound to do the same temples in the same order every single time you play it,and there are moments of little freedom (like the early wold portions).In Ocarina of Time,there were certain points in the same where you could choose to do certain temples in a certain order that you'd like.I mean,there are a couple of sequence breaks in Twilight Princess,like skipping the Temple of Time and going to City in the Sky early,but as for the intended developer route,it's quite linear.

OOT is just as linear as TP. They are both very open games, but TP is so much bigger. IDK why people say this. Having replayed both over the last few months, as good as OOT is still, it has nothing on TP. TP you get horse at beginning, Bigger, longer dungeons, more complex, More weapons, more sword fighting, Better bosses,(ganon was amazing). HORSEBACK FIGHTING!!! OOT does have a better story. It is a great game, my 2nd fav zelda, but OOT is just as much of a rip off of Link to Past as TP is of OOT. They are Zelda games, same world, weapons, just little different stories.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 psychobrew
[QUOTE="Sepewrath"][QUOTE="psychobrew"]

Every game has a beginning. Not every game has an ending. You make it sound like the beggining, middle, and ending of every game is the same -- they are not. TP is not an open game -- you are forced along a path way too often. The linearity is simply broken up by borring side quests (which aren't always optional). Dawn of Discovery is an open, non-linear game. Some of the titles made by Bethesda (Daggerfall, Morrowind, etc.) don't even make you follow the story -- it's there simply should you want to follow it.
Sepewrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sepewrath
Member since 2005 • 30689 Posts
I haven't played any of those games, but I'm certain there is an ending to them at some point, they don't just go on forever. Even the massive Fallout 3 has a beginning and it has an end, but you can get around to it when you feel like it , but thats the reason alot of people viewed its story as a short coming. Its like the guys at Naughty Dog said "The best way to tell a story is on rails" you cant let the player do whatever they feel like if you expect to have a coherent story and Twilight Princess had the most in depth narrative of all Zelda games so of course that comes at the price of freedom. I prefer it that way, I like a well thought out cinematic story, all I could task Nintendo with doing is adding more side quest and more things to do to break up the pace. And whether you liked them or not you doesn't matter you cant deny that Twilight Princess at least did have side missions. So I would say keep the more indepth story ala Twilight Princess and just increase the size of the world and things you can do in it.
psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 psychobrew
I haven't played any of those games, but I'm certain there is an ending to them at some point, they don't just go on forever. Even the massive Fallout 3 has a beginning and it has an end, but you can get around to it when you feel like it , but thats the reason alot of people viewed its story as a short coming. Its like the guys at Naughty Dog said "The best way to tell a story is on rails" you cant let the player do whatever they feel like if you expect to have a coherent story and Twilight Princess had the most in depth narrative of all Zelda games so of course that comes at the price of freedom. I prefer it that way, I like a well thought out cinematic story, all I could task Nintendo with doing is adding more side quest and more things to do to break up the pace. And whether you liked them or not you doesn't matter you cant deny that Twilight Princess at least did have side missions. So I would say keep the more indepth story ala Twilight Princess and just increase the size of the world and things you can do in it.Sepewrath
Most open world games don't focus on the story. It's up to you to make your own. Dawn of Discovery can go on forever in continuous mode (that's why it's called continuous). The Bethesda games I mentioned have a story ending, but finishing the story does not finish the game. You are free to keep taking your characters on new adventures and each time you play the game, you can have a completely different experience where TP is only original the first time you play it. And that's my point -- TP is not an open game. I don't like on-rails because the focus is more on the story than the game play. If I want a story, I'll read a book or watch a movie. When I want to play a game, I want to play a game. $50 is way too much for the tacky stories they put in games anyway (especially since you can get a real story for $5 or so in the form of a book or DVD). I'm simply not a B movie fan (except for the Toxic Avenger). Independent movies bore me to death.