A Change in Wii Software - What needs to be done!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 kansasdude2009
Member since 2006 • 11802 Posts

The Nintendo Wii has few games from third party developers that can compete with Nintendo's own software. The reasoning for this is blamed on publisher's not taking risks on Wii software. Several of the Wii's best games from third party developers are from generations past such as Resident Evil 4 and Okami from Capcom, and Medal of Honor Heroes Two and Godfather: Blackhand Edition from Electronic Arts. According to videogame review congregation site GameRankings, there are currently four third party franchises originating on Wii that have a cumulative score above the eightieth-percentile mark. Those games are Boom Blox from Electronic Arts, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaro's Treasure from Capcom, No More Heroes from Ubisoft, and Lost Winds from Frontier Developments.

The Wii has been on retail for what is nearing a year and a half. With so few established franchises on Wii, certain developers have taken notice. Director of Platinum games Shigenori Nishikawa felt, "… that the Wii Marketplace had too many of the same type of games - there was something missing in the line-up. That's why we created such a game as Mad World." David Braben, chairman of Frontier, stated his concern with the situation through his experiences with Lost Winds; "Experimenting with the Wii… scares publishers… there haven't been as many titles that you expect to use the Wii the way its designed to." High Voltage, the developing team behind the upcoming Wii exclusive The Conduit, has yet to secure a publisher for their title because they, "…just want to be far enough along that someone doesn't come in and monkey the whole thing up." – Eric Nofsinger, VP of Creative Content. Kerry Ganofsky, CEO and founder of High Voltage Software continues his disappointment with Wii software; "We think it's a real shame that publishers and developers aren't taking advantage of the technical possibilities of the Wii platform."

But who is to blame for this lack of effort from developers and publishers alike? Sega of America's VP of Marketing Scott Steinberg says that, "…it's a shared responsibility and opportunity for the whole industry to take advantage of the possibilities of the Wii. If we don't realize its true potential, we will have missed a great opportunity to expand creatively… I'm not just putting the responsibility of innovation on Nintendo. It's on SEGA and all the publishers and developers as well to carry that flag." But few publishers and developers have yet to change. Some publishers, such as Square Enix have gone as far as job cuts to those development teams who create games outside of the mainstream circle of interest. Other publishers have promised more support but have yet to deliver. After Yves Guillemot, CEO of Paris, France-based Ubisoft promised that Ubisoft would create, "Nintendo-like quality," on the Wii only to demonstrate games of historically poor franchises such as "Imagine" and "Petz" at Ubidays, there is little hope for the future.

This petition is to demonstrate Wii gamers' unwillingness to allow this to continue. It is time for developers to create meaningful experiences on Wii and it is time for publishers to realize that there is a demographic for such games. Sign this petition to show your support for not only higher quality titles on Wii, but also titles that take risks and push all genres on the Wii, not only casual experiences designed for every family member. It is time for change.

In order for change to happen, publishers must accept the possibility of failure, but in the same respect, open to the chance that taking a risk and backing it up with an advertisement campaign could lead to success. For how could we know what works if none have ever tried it?

Shinno441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 Shinno441
Member since 2007 • 2792 Posts
Darn straight.
Wild_Card

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3 Wild_Card
Member since 2005 • 4034 Posts
agreed.
Chipmunk555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Chipmunk555
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
signed
kittykatz5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 kittykatz5k
Member since 2004 • 32249 Posts
As true of words as any pention might speak, they're worthless. I'll still sign, but they're worthless.
TheAcejoel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#6 TheAcejoel99
Member since 2008 • 1059 Posts
word
EmperorZeruel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 EmperorZeruel
Member since 2007 • 4207 Posts
we can not change it we are too far into the generation to change it, we just have to wait until next generation
Shinno441

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 Shinno441
Member since 2007 • 2792 Posts

we can not change it we are too far into the generation to change it, we just have to wait until next generationEmperorZeruel

Wii has only been out for one and a half years. If we at least try, we'll send out the message for next gen.

solidslush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 solidslush
Member since 2004 • 60 Posts
Signed, Agreed
Katana2570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Katana2570
Member since 2004 • 48 Posts
MoHH2 is not from last generation!
aries8269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aries8269
Member since 2006 • 665 Posts
Tis signed. I definitely agree there needs to be a change in order for true success.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts

my favorite games on the wii are the ones with the most depth. My ideal game has an interesting story, combat/adventure action, and good/creative wii controls. This is why something like zelda is one of my favorite games ever made.

I loved NMH I loved most of nintendos games I loved RE4/UC etc etc. most of the games put out by major companies don't interest me only the ones that care and effort were put into do. Madworld has potential and I'll certainly keep an eye on it. Fatal Frame 4 and Alone in the Dark are horror games which means I've DEFINATELY got my eyes on them. The conduit has had my attention for a while although I am skeptical of some of their claims and the fact they don't have a publisher isn't assuring.

anyway sign me up.

Avatar image for TwilightSoilder
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TwilightSoilder
Member since 2007 • 1831 Posts
Signed.
WylFret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WylFret
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

I'm in the minority, I play 3rd party titles much more than 1st party (my top 3 Wii games are all 3rd party) and there are always games I'm interested in that I haven't gotten around to renting or buying. I'm just not seeing this dearth of quality titles that many people seem to think exists.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

I'm in the minority, I play 3rd party titles much more than 1st party (my top 3 Wii games are all 3rd party) and there are always games I'm interested in that I haven't gotten around to renting or buying. I'm just not seeing this dearth of quality titles that many people seem to think exists.

WylFret

You have to remember this thread was just a way to Spam a petition so it doesn't make much sense after the edit

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
A petition will get absolutely nothing accomplished.
Flaming235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Flaming235
Member since 2005 • 1949 Posts
Agreed. Third Parties (looking at you Ubisoft) need to put at least some effort into a game, not just mindlessly write some horrible code that nobody really wants to play. Put in a little bit of damn effort.
webbut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 webbut
Member since 2005 • 2946 Posts
The Fault falls squarely on the consumer. Consumer buys crap industry makes more crap. You tell the consumer to stop buying crap or tell the consumer to start buying more of the Awesome. The only thing telling the industry might do is get you a very nice letter thats says very politely "Thank you for your concern but sadly(for you not for us) people are buying a lot of the crap that we put out there. The crap is cheap to make and people buy lots of it so your concerns have been herd but ignored thank you and we hope that u will continue enjoying our crappy service"
no_one089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 no_one089
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
Signed.
grahamx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grahamx
Member since 2005 • 153 Posts
This is the truest article I have read in forever.
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts

I'm sorry but a boycott would work much better in this situation than a petition.
I agree but signing it feels like a wasted cause.
Now I just sound apathetic.

:|

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kansasdude2009

I'm sorry but a boycott would work much better in this situation than a petition.

wiretoss

A boycott would not be effective at all. Who of us is buying games like Carnival games on a regular basis? Who is collecting all the Petz titles?

Either way, a petition is SOMETHING. Signing it takes little effort, and you should do it just for the cause.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts
I don't really care if there are Petz and Carnival Game titles out there, I'm not buying them. But I would like to see more games with obvious effort put into them. Are these third party devs dumb or something you'd think they would change their tune after seeing how good games like SMG, RE:4, and Zelda sell. They complain games don't sell on Wii but at the same time make mediocre niche games instead of an amazing mainstream game like COD:4.
Mastergamer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mastergamer27
Member since 2007 • 582 Posts
Agree, 3rd party develpoers need to stop making crappy game on wii, or put more Effort into them.
lancea34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lancea34
Member since 2007 • 6912 Posts
Signed. Whoever doesn't sign is a shovelware lover.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="wiretoss"]

kansasdude2009

A boycott would not be effective at all. Who of us is buying games like Carnival games on a regular basis? Who is collecting all the Petz titles?

Either way, a petition is SOMETHING. Signing it takes little effort, and you should do it just for the cause.

Yeah it's something, a big waste of time

Let whoever wants to make a title for the Wii make a title and let the public decide

It's not like Nintendo is the only console around. If you don't like what's on the console go find something to do elsewhere

As long as someone is buying the titles it shouldn't matter to anyone that they're being made.

Either be a better shopper or pick another brand, those are your two choices

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

Signed. Whoever doesn't sign is a shovelware lover.lancea34

More like everyone who "signs" wants to have control what every plays and doesn't have the confidence to own a console with titles they may not care for.

Boomarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Boomarley
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

I've become disillusioned from Internet petitions ever since the Rick Mercer joke in which more than 3% of the Canadian population signed to change Stockwell Day's first name to Doris. There's another petition on petitionspot which I won't mention, but I'll just say I can't bloody believe it got almost 30,000 sigs for something so bloody trivial! iI suggest instead of wasting time on an Internet petition which gets nothing done, support the good 3rd party games. This will encourage producers to make more quality games.

By the way, I don't really know how many people buy "shovelware" anyways.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jaysonguy

Boomarley

They don't sell

c-joel1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 c-joel1121
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
Signed,:evil:
hopenui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 hopenui
Member since 2008 • 122 Posts
Signed
Avatar image for baseballboy6411
baseballboy6411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32 baseballboy6411
Member since 2007 • 1103 Posts
Signed, Agreedsolidslush
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts
Eh, that's enough third party games for me.
Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
I already signed.
TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TwilightSoilder
[QUOTE="Boomarley"]

Jaysonguy

They don't sell

Yeah, that's why Carnival games sold almost 2 million. :roll:
biffosos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 biffosos
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
Signed and btw it's a brilliant post :D
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Boomarley"]

TwilightSoilder

They don't sell

Carnival Games is a good game that most people who own it like.

If you'd go so far as to actually research how the people like some of these games maybe you wouldn't be against them

TwilightSoilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TwilightSoilder
[QUOTE="TwilightSoilder"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Boomarley"]

Jaysonguy

They don't sell

If you'd go so far as to actually research how the people like some of these games maybe you wouldn't be against them

People who love games like that are pretty much all casual gamers who aren't fimliar to what a good game is. T_T Just because some people who know next to nothing of what a real game is doesn't make it good and doesn't make it anything more than shovelware. Btw, most people who own Brawl love it but you feel the need to bash it and yet you are willing to stick up for this piece of @#$%. What's up with that? -_-
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jaysonguy
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="TwilightSoilder"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"][QUOTE="Boomarley"]

TwilightSoilder

They don't sell

People who love games like that are pretty much all casual gamers who aren't fimliar to what a good game is. T_T Just because some people who know next to nothing of what a real game is doesn't make it good and doesn't make it anything more than shovelware.

Sorry, nope

People know when they're having fun, no one is fooled into having fun and later find out it wasn't really fun.

Let people make up their own minds, if a game doesn't appeal to you just don't buy it, don't stop it from being made.

The idea that one person gets to choose what everyone thinks and does is wrong. Hitler tried that one, look how well that went.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts
Too bad no one that matters will see this.
kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kansasdude2009

Signed and btw it's a brilliant post :Dbiffosos

thanks!

To the people who are worried, if you guys want to help me persue GoNintendo's help, that would be awesome! If a bunch of you sent in emails to kcassidy@gonintendo.com it would really help! I've already sent him some e-mails, and he has shown interest, but nothing big.

kloij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kloij
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Super Marion bros. 3 was the first videogame I've ever played. I've been playing games ever since. Nintendo was always my original choice of gaming, but it seems that everytime a great game and/or series comes out such as GTA, Ninja Gaiden, or MGS, they are always limited to Xbox360 and PS3. I'm starting to regret buying a Wii. I agree that there needs to be a change.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

we can not change it we are too far into the generation to change it, we just have to wait until next generationEmperorZeruel

Eh..... Sorry, it hasn't been 4 years, it's been barely over one year and a half...... A generation lasts a lot longer and according to Nintendo this one will last quite a bit longer also.... : /

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

Ive made my mark.

3rd parties can do so much more on the wii than there doing now.

kansasdude2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kansasdude2009

Super Marion bros. 3 was the first videogame I've ever played. I've been playing games ever since. Nintendo was always my original choice of gaming, but it seems that everytime a great game and/or series comes out such as GTA, Ninja Gaiden, or MGS, they are always limited to Xbox360 and PS3. I'm starting to regret buying a Wii. I agree that there needs to be a change.kloij

That's too bad. I really hope this petition makes a change! ;)

ineedmoney555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ineedmoney555
Member since 2008 • 534 Posts

it is starting to change now. we are getting wii versions of AitD and TFU. Plus activision is doing well by giving us versions of COD5 and Guitar HeroIV.

what im liking now is how companies are starting to compete to be 'the best third party game on wii'