4 Years Later.... Best & Worst of the Wii - your verdict?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 0

#1 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

So, this is more for Wii users who have owned the console for 1-4 years, but if you've only had it for >1 year, you can share your opinions too.

What are (in your opinion, no flaming) the best and worst aspects of Wii? Be it controllers, games, etc.... You name it!

Best (in no particular order):

1. Mario, Zelda, Metroid games

2. Great Wi-Fi on most games

3. SD Card compatibility

4. Wii Channels

5. Some great third-party developers

There are lots more, but these were my favourite.

Worst (in no particular order):

1. Wiimote makes some games (particularly FPS) games feel like point-and-click adventures as opposed to whatever genre they are. (Don't get me wrong, I love the Wiimote, but for some games I'd rather have GameCube controller compatibility.)

2. Inconsistent Wi-Fi for most games

3. The fact that Nintendo lets any game be released.... Such as ImagineBabiez and all the Petz games.

4. It's appeal steers gamers away, and draws in little kids. Don't get me wrong, I love the PS3 and am starting to appreciate the 360 thanks to Arby 'n' the Chief.

5. Very few third-party developers, and some make games like Anubis II.

So.... What are yours?

Avatar image for diegosanchezMMA
diegosanchezMMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 diegosanchezMMA
Member since 2010 • 830 Posts

i have a huge beef with the numchuck

and i dont like how i had to buy a eithernet adapter for 30 bucks

on the good side

i like the remote, its conftrable works well

love the wii bowling

love that in general its so diffrent than ps3/xbox

Sole_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Sole_
Member since 2010 • 59 Posts
I would have to say the Best of the Wii is the price, first party franchise games, and the immersive controls (when implemented correctly). The worst of the Wii would be lack of third party developer interest, abundance of poor quality games, poor online services (online multiplayer & chat), and worst of all... it took 4 years for Nintendo to release the Wii in another color (maybe not the worst of all, but certainly disappointing).
AlmightyDerek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 AlmightyDerek
Member since 2002 • 4144 Posts

Best: First party games, IR pointing, Wiiware and VC, WM+, SDHC support, built in Wifi, low power usage, tells you when you have a message even if the system is off

Worst: No built in Ethernet, very inconsistant 3rd party games, no disc game based patches, only offers ED resolution, Wiiware size limit, limited game DLC

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

Good:

motion controls are really great for some games...wii sports made my parents gamers!
VC and gamecube compatability..

BAD:

graphics although great would be a bit better in 720p. wiiware service would benefit from demos...
VC needs another 100 titles to be added.. wii Motion+ should have been in the controller from the start.
wIfi needs mics.

elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
best: the strongest 3rd party support since the super nintendo VC with over 350 game i can easily spend 200 hours playing only VC games worst: party game obsession
Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#7 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
The greatest for me is the universe it had created for experimentation. So many unique games had seen the light thanks to this console. Not everyone is a good game but at least is original and unique (De Blob, Nights, Deadly Creatures, Silent Hill, Madworld, NMH, Z&W, Wii Fit, EA Sports Active, SMG, etc.) Worst, for me, are the gamers wanting only "hard core" experiences and bashing everything without a gun and blood on it. This is also a development of the accessibility of the console and the radicalization of the players. And obviously the developers who just want to take a bite at the market with low grade and unimaginative games. In this regard, specially sad mention to the ones who just go "halfway" to a great idea or game and fall short of it, like Overlord, Castlevania, Soulcalibur
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#8 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

best of the wii

for me

-driver paralel lines super mario bros zelda bully nmh red steel 1'/2 nsmb ,mariokart

virtural console/bc gamecube games -so i can also play timesplitters all 4 mario karts and every mario ever made except of course smw2 that hasnt yet been made for vc and i get to play even more games from systems i never plan on owning

and the assortment of innovative controller options make games such as csi hard evidence cabelas hunt 2009 etc even more fun

the worst well id say its that people dont appreciate the wii , i cant find any other reason id hate the thing except when my hands get tired and i get frustrated with a certain level of smg2 . especally when the controller is low on batteries

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
im just going to trite a short blurb. ace console, great games and a great start for motion controls. i cant wait to see what ninty come up with next.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Love most of the first party games to bits! When done correctly, motion and definately IR improve games. Some really unique/random 3rd party games. Poor online, graphics, and 3rd party support. Lame controls sometimes.
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

for the best;

I like the interface; the menu, the wii store, wii channel, news, weather and internet channels.

I have had a lot of fun with the Wii Sports games, especially Resort. There is no other game i could recommend to keep a room full of people entertained.

Most of the Nintendo first party support has been very good and there has been a smattering of unique third party efforts that have entertained me.

for the worst;

the torrential flood of absolutely horrible and embarrassing games....the worst i have ever seen .

arrogant Nintendo policy's regarding on-line play, very poor peripheral support, and sub-par first party efforts that smack of laziness.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
The best (random order); Game: Super Mario Galaxy 2 Online: Modern Warfare Reflex Graphics: Super Mario Galaxy 2 RPG: Little King's Story Fighter: Super Smash Bros Brawl Port: Okami Voice Acting: The House of the Dead: Overkill Action Adventure: Twilight Princess Racer: Mario Kart Wii Action: No More Heroes 2 Platformer: Super Mario Galaxy 2 Use of Motion Controls: Wii Sports Resort Sports: Wii Sports Resort First Person Shooter: Modern Warfare Reflex On Rails Shooter: The House of the Dead: Overkill Puzzle: Mercury Meltdown Revolution Launch Game: Twilight Princess First Party Game: Super Mario Galaxy 2 Third Party Game: No More Heroes 2 New IP: No More Heroes Multiplayer: Super Smash Bros Brawl Mini-game Compilation: Mario Party 8 WiiWare: Lostwinds: Winter of the Melodias Virtual Console: Ocarina of Time Feature: Built in WiFi Worst; Game: Red Steel Motion Controls: Red Steel Third Party Game: Red Steel Voice Acting: Red Steel Multiplayer: Red Steel First Person Shooter: Red Steel Launch Game: Red Steel Online: Super Smash Bros Brawl Multiplayer: Super Mario Galaxy First Party: Wii Play Virtual Console: Castlevania (I only have a few VC games) WiiWare: My Pokemon Ranch Graphics: Mario Party 8 Racer: Excite Truck Feature: Terrible Online That's all I can think of before my attention span made me bored of it.
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
I have issues with the Wiimote in First person shooters and its not always responsive in most games. I love all the mario games and I do agree there are a lot of crap games that are released for it. Just look at the "new releases" section under the Wii tab on this site and there nearly all games from developers nobodies ever heard of and the games look like they should be being released on a leapster or what you would find in the bargain bin at walmart