3DS wobbly top screen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Santosckm7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Santosckm7
Member since 2010 • 117 Posts

Although it is not much of a big deal I was wondering if many other people have a wobbly top screen for the 3ds. Me and my brothers screens move a tiny bit and I was wondering if other people have the same issue

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

I dont have a problem at all, that is one of the things I like about the design is how sturdy it is

Chrnocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chrnocide
Member since 2009 • 357 Posts
This has been an ongoing issue with a few 3DS's that I've encountered, mine included. My GF's however, is fine.
AstralDrmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AstralDrmz
Member since 2009 • 784 Posts

Mine wobbles a little.

champofcube15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 champofcube15
Member since 2004 • 1596 Posts
Hmmm, my screen doesn't wobble at all.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Slight bit of play when it's open, but it's not a big deal. It doesn't feel like a flaw but more like a normal variance in manufacturing.

primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts

mine wabbles a bit too. was just about to start a thread about it till i noticed this one

Caybrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Caybrown
Member since 2004 • 3722 Posts
Yeah mines wobbles. When I lean it certain ways, it moves
AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
slight wobble when fully open. It seems to be normal.
Caybrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Caybrown
Member since 2004 • 3722 Posts
The top screen seems heavier than the previous DS's I believe. Maybe from the 3D screen perhaps? :P
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dzimm
The system as a whole is definitely heavier than the DS Lite. It's part of what contributes to its "solid" feel.
Santosckm7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Santosckm7

Son on nintendos website it lists a loose top screen as a flaw that can be fixed with the warranty. I guess I'll be doing that. Probably in a week or two seeing as how I wanna play it and maybe beat a game or two before losing it for about a week. I suggest you guys check it out

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#13 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

is it me or is there manyl azy people ,why is it the first time some one has a problem with a new item they do not call nintendo ,

seriously or return and exchange to the store, its alot easier then waiting for an answer which we all know we cant help ya with it ,

and no mine is 100 percent perfect , the only problem i can report is having a hard time getting a strap through the hole lol ,

aside from that 3ds is awsome , if you dont got one now , wait until the next batch or risk it , it s well worth it , if worst comes to worst you get i think a yr warranty on it plus if you register your unit you get 90 bonus days ,

XNinjaPandaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XNinjaPandaX
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Is this really worth getting fixed? I figured this was just natural seeing as the top screen is larger then the rest of the system.

ItsEvolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ItsEvolution
Member since 2008 • 2593 Posts

Doesn't seem any different than any other DS I've owned.

The nitpicking of this system is incredible so far.

pizzamanopenup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 pizzamanopenup
Member since 2005 • 1350 Posts

Mine's prety wobbly, yeah. I think I'll exchange it some time within the next few days.

mattg90520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mattg90520
Member since 2006 • 3115 Posts
Not at all, though Im not going to openly shake it to see. That could likely loosen it, then I would be lucky enough to have a wobble haha
XNinjaPandaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XNinjaPandaX
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

Pizzaman, do you mean the screen moving by inches, or nearly folding?

Avatar image for PoisoN_Facecam0
PoisoN_Facecam0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PoisoN_Facecam0
Member since 2009 • 3734 Posts
No wobble here.. thing is solid as a rock, I love how sturdy it feels..
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dzimm

Son on nintendos website it lists a loose top screen as a flaw that can be fixed with the warranty. I guess I'll be doing that. Probably in a week or two seeing as how I wanna play it and maybe beat a game or two before losing it for about a week. I suggest you guys check it out

Santosckm7

I suspect that's referring to a different sort of flaw where the top won't stay in position (as in it flops closed on you while you're playing) and not that it wobbles slightly but is otherwise held firmly in place.

Krazykid3333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Krazykid3333
Member since 2009 • 442 Posts

Mine also wobbles a bit too...

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
When people say wobble, do you mean just tilting the console a bit makes it wobble? Because mine doesn't move when tilting, but if I shake it it wobbles, my advice, don't freaking shake it.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dzimm
In my case there is about a quarter-inch of play when the top screen is open, but with so many people reporting the exact same thing, I really doubt it's anything more than just a normal variance in manufacturing tolerances.
bls_essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bls_essex
Member since 2008 • 266 Posts

There is a tiny bit of play. That's just the way it is. The DSI XL is the same way. I'm sure there's an engineering reason for it. Maybe because the top screen is a little heavier?

Santosckm7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Santosckm7

Alright So I read a post from someone who called Nintendo and they said if it wobbles the hinges are less likely to crack. So even the tighter ones will eventually start to wobble or crack. Guess it aint so bad anymore haha

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts
Yeah, but my DS Lite screen wobbles in the same way, although the 3DS wobble feels more sturdy.
takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#27 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts
Hm mine doesn't wobble although I do notice mine doesn't have that clicking sound when I open it up ...my friend told me I may have the japanese version of the 3DS...does anyone know [ i pointed this out on another post but no-one really answered....:P]??? [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Claymore144]  [/url]
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
When people say wobble, do you mean just tilting the console a bit makes it wobble? Because mine doesn't move when tilting, but if I shake it it wobbles, my advice, don't freaking shake it.bobbetybob
lol This was my first thought. It is a little disconcerting to hear of such issues though. Ninty's products usually have fantastic build quality so this makes me worry.(I have yet to purchase a 3DS)
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

[QUOTE="Santosckm7"]

dzimm

I suspect that's referring to a different sort of flaw where the top won't stay in position (as in it flops closed on you while you're playing) and not that it wobbles slightly but is otherwise held firmly in place.

You're right; they are referring to a different problem. According the Nintendo's site your unit hinge have a problem if: 1. It doesn't stays open. 2. It doesn't click in place. This one is the clicky sound wen you open it. 3. And if the top screen flops back by itself. As for mines, it wobble just a little bit when opened . It happens if you move the unit downward (pointing down). All in all according to Nintendo's site your unit is perfectly if it doesn't have the above mentioned problems.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 soulreaper-4

Alright So I read a post from someone who called Nintendo and they said if it wobbles the hinges are less likely to crack. So even the tighter ones will eventually start to wobble or crack. Guess it aint so bad anymore haha

Santosckm7
That's what i thought, that should be the case. The 3DS seems to be developed this way to prevent the hinge from getting cracked.
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 soulreaper-4
[QUOTE="takspeed"]Hm mine doesn't wobble although I do notice mine doesn't have that clicking sound when I open it up ...my friend told me I may have the japanese version of the 3DS...does anyone know [ i pointed this out on another post but no-one really answered....:P]??? [url=http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Claymore144]  [/url]

According to everyone it is just that the screen goes a bit down if you move the opened unit pointing down.
DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts
The top screen seems heavier than the previous DS's I believe. Maybe from the 3D screen perhaps? :PCaybrown
Yeah I think so too. I think the whole console is heavier than the Lite and DSi.
bdmckinley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bdmckinley
Member since 2004 • 817 Posts

Santosckm7
That might explain why my DSL hinge cracked on one side. The screen had absolutely NO wobble. Even with the crack, the screen is still rock solid. My 3DS snaps into open position and wobbles just a wee tiny bit. It's nothing I'm getting worked up about. I think I read somewhere where people were having problems with the screen not locking into position.