3DS Region Locked

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ch82
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
Just a warning. The 3ds is region locked. :( You won't be able to play all the quality games that never make it here from Japan anymore. Australia and Europe get screwed even more. That is all
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i was expecting that because both the dsi and wii are so it made since to me that the 3ds would be
SadPSPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#3 SadPSPAddict
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts

The DSi is NOT region locked but the Wii is, so if true this will be a first for the DS series :(

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

The DSi is NOT region locked but the Wii is, so if true this will be a first for the DS series :(

SadPSPAddict

The DSi is region locked because of the DSiWare. DS retail games are not but DSiWare games are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="SadPSPAddict"]

The DSi is region locked because of the DSiWare. DS retail games are not but DSiWare games are.

You forgot to mention that DSi exclusive *have they made any yet* and DSi Enhanced titles *Such as Pokemon Black and White* are region locked on the DSi
murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts
I never get other region games but ya for Australia and other regions this sux i hope this means they get games at the same time, otherwise this is a huge blow.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
sorry for asking but... source?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Source please. And if it's region locked, does Nintendo want us hardcore gamers who get screwed (mostly in Europe which doesn't get some of the more niche titles) to hack their system? That will only lead to piracy!
Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

I hope people aren't seriously surprised by this.

LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

sorry for asking but... source?BrunoBRS

no linky but IGN has an article up.

This doesn't really matter to me as I don't want to play a game I don't understand

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]sorry for asking but... source?LaytonsCat

This doesn't really matter to me as I don't want to play a game I don't understand

What if it's a good game where they don't send it over right away because they think it would be 'too hard' for us?
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Well a lot of people do, and in Europe we don't get a lot of JRPG's, I import a lot of them because some get released in North America in English so it's fine for me. But now I won't be able to do that. If it's not released in Europe I'm screwed. Thanks Nintendo. After the greatness of the DS Lite you do this, why!?
ch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ch82
We didn't get Xenosaga episode 1&2 here on the ds. One of my favourite imports was jump ultimate stars and it never did make it here. Bleach 2nd was a good game that took forever to be ported over here.
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 icyseanfitz
Member since 2006 • 2493 Posts

[QUOTE="LaytonsCat"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]sorry for asking but... source?SaltyMeatballs

Well a lot of people do, and in Europe we don't get a lot of JRPG's, I import a lot of them because some get released in North America in English so it's fine for me. But now I won't be able to do that. If it's not released in Europe I'm screwed. Thanks Nintendo. After the greatness of the DS Lite you do this, why!?

i have to agree i live in ireland and when it comes to jrpg's that are released in NA we rarely get them so screw you nintendo i aint buying the 3ds

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts

Bad news for those thousands of fans that import pokemon games. :(

chris3116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chris3116
Member since 2003 • 12174 Posts

[QUOTE="chris3116"]

[QUOTE="SadPSPAddict"]

darkspineslayer

You forgot to mention that DSi exclusive *have they made any yet* and DSi Enhanced titles *Such as Pokemon Black and White* are region locked on the DSi

True but the 3DS can read all theDS retail games including those games as well since they aren't region locked and not limited to1 platform. I was thinking about the download service since the "3DSWare" will include the DSiWare games which it's region locked.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 icyseanfitz

damn this news has really put me off the 3ds :( and i was hyping it...god damn you nintendo i mean what will region locking a handheld actually achieve? why start now it makes no bloody sense

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34726 Posts

So.. Nintendo thinks it's a good idea to make piracy a last resort for those who want to play games from other regions? Good thinking.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts

Fiddlesticks. I'm in the process of learning Japanese. I was hoping to be able to use import games as an immersion excercise. Oh well, there's plenty of Japanese DS games. This only becomes a real problem to me if a Mother Trilogy is ever released. But yeah, I can't stand region locking in general. Jerk move, Ninty, jerk move.

deathbeat60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deathbeat60
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts

This bites!!!

I was looking foward to finally getting One Piece: Unlimeted Cruise but now I might have to submit to hacking. Even though that e-mail isn't confirmed to be offical i'm not getting my hopes up.

LetsPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LetsPlayer
Member since 2010 • 198 Posts
[QUOTE="IGN"]

Nintendo's much-anticipated 3DS handheld will apparently be region-locked, meaning that software will only work on hardware from the corresponding territory.

That could be bad news for anyone hoping to import the console upon its release in Japan on February 26, or those hoping to sample any of the games that won't make it over to their own shores.

Confirmation seemingly came from an email from Nintendo of Japan, spotted and translated by NeoGAF. While region-locking is historically commonplace on home consoles (Sony's PS3 a recent exception), handhelds have traditionally been free from the restriction – that is until the release of Nintendo's DSi and DSi XL which introduced the feature.

European and American customers may not have to wait too long for the release of the 3DS, however, with the current March release window for those territories expected to be narrowed down to a specific date next week.

IGN has reached out to Nintendo for further clarification and comment, and we're awaiting a reply.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143473p1.html Outside of "pervy" games, I don't remember much region exclusive game titles that were so OMFG fantastic that they being region exclusive was like the end of the world. But still, kind of sucks.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BrunoBRS

having family in europe and knowing that their price is cheaper than the local price (not by much, but still), region lock will affect my purchasing habits. it might not be the majority of the titles i own, but i still purchased quite a few games when visiting my family. and quite honestly, it's about time this whole region lock thing dies. it makes sense on consoles because of the TV resolution/output/whatever (and even then the HD consoles don't have it anymore), but with handhelds it doesn't make sense.
ZIVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 ZIVX
Member since 2008 • 2981 Posts

This sucks, why would they region lock it anyway?

neji122793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 neji122793
Member since 2007 • 831 Posts

But the 3ds can play ds games if it plays the imported ones it should play 3ds imports hopefully they are talking about 3ds store because JUMP3DS is going to be amazing if ti comes out.

YoungFlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#25 YoungFlitz
Member since 2011 • 854 Posts

I heard about this and it is a really good idea. Honestly, I think people should wait for the 3DS to come out, to their own regions.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BrunoBRS

But the 3ds can play ds games if it plays the imported ones it should play 3ds imports hopefully they are talking about 3ds store because JUMP3DS is going to be amazing if ti comes out.

neji122793
well the DSi is region-locked for the DSi-enhanced/exclusive games. but i can still play my EU games.
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts

ZIVX
my guess is that it first started on the wii for VC i guess they thought that maybe american gamers wouldn't want to play games in japanese or maybe it was so they could make more then one version of a gam and see as many copies as they could, its also why the dsi is region locked, and the 3ds will have 3dsware so it is region locked
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="ZIVX"]

elbert_b_23
my guess is that it first started on the wii for VC i guess they thought that maybe american gamers wouldn't want to play games in japanese or maybe it was so they could make more then one version of a gam and see as many copies as they could, its also why the dsi is region locked, and the 3ds will have 3dsware so it is region locked

sin & punishment was released on the Wii's VC. hell, its success is the reason S&P2 was sold here. and region-locking the online store is way different from region locking the system. two different things.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41570 Posts

This sucks. I know it's probably to combat piracy, but it's not pirating if you're importing a legit game.

Icare0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Icare0
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts

This sucks. I know it's probably to combat piracy, but it's not pirating if you're importing a legit game.

nintendoboy16

Actually, this will probably lead to more hacking and piracy.

icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 icyseanfitz

I heard about this and it is a really good idea. Honestly, I think people should wait for the 3DS to come out, to their own regions.

YoungFlitz

i dont even know what to say here :roll: for me living in europe its not about getting the console early its about being able to import games from na that never make it to europe...which happens an awful lot with rpg titles and games that are made in japan (which most are seeing as thats where nintendo are from)

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Thanks Nintendo. After the greatness of the DS Lite you do this, why!?SaltyMeatballs

It was most likely demanded by third party publishers, so Nintendo's choice was probably either support region coding or see limited third party support for the 3DS.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dzimm

I know it's probably to combat piracy...nintendoboy16

It has nothing to with piracy. It's about giving publishers control of the market. Same reason DVDs are region coded.

Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts
It does suck for many including myself. I am Canadian but live in Europe and travel throughout the world. Having a region free handheld system is a must. With the PSP2 announcment I may have to reconsider my choice of handheld.
ch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ch82

Actually, this will probably lead to more hacking and piracy.

Icare0

QFT. This is what I've been hearing all over the internet since this broke. Nintendo doesn't really care about our market segment though which is why we get crapped on constantly.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dzimm
You really think the PSP2 won't be region locked?
icyseanfitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 icyseanfitz

its fairly short sighted of them tbh its just going to lead to people hacking the system to play games from other regions which in turn will increase piracy on the system

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Thanks Nintendo. After the greatness of the DS Lite you do this, why!?dzimm

It was most likely demanded by third party publishers, so Nintendo's choice was probably either support region coding or see limited third party support for the 3DS.

PS3 is region free and i don't see lack of third party support over there.
ch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ch82
You really think the PSP2 won't be region locked?dzimm
PS3 and PSP aren't why would the PSP2 be?
ch82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ch82
You really think the PSP2 won't be region locked?dzimm
PS3 and PSP aren't why would the PSP2 be?
sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts

this is sad news for me...

cuz i have homes in both Canada and Taiwan...

i plan to buy the North American version of 3DS, but now i can forget about buying games in Taiwan, as games available in Taiwan are mostly JAPANESE.

very inconvenient for me :evil:

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BrunoBRS
^ i buy EU games sometimes because of my family there, i guess i don't have that choice anymore :( but then again, i have yet to see a single link proving that it is region locked.
Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Well, I personally don't care.
superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

IF region locked would that mean I can still play UK games?..or no? if no it will be worst than Wii region lock crap.

sakuranoame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sakuranoame
Member since 2006 • 322 Posts

if you have the US console (or console from any other region other than EU), than no, you will not be able to play UK games