This topic is locked from further discussion.

almoalgam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 almoalgam
Member since 2012 • 107 Posts

do i plonk down extra for the xl or is it no big improvement over the original?

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 HowlingLotus
Member since 2012 • 657 Posts

almoalgam

I can't personally tell you, but when I went to pre-order a few 3DS games the other day they had a 3DS XL on display and all I can say is.... It's a lot more comfortable to hold! I had my 3DS in my bag and was ready to trade up, but I know better given Nintendos track record of releasing multiple models per handheld cycle.

No one knows when or if this will happen of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
The XL is a much better investment, unless you find a bundle with the original for fairly cheap.
Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

Also I'm not sure what kind of bundles are out there with the normal size but the blue XL comes with Mario Kart preinstalled. Same price.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Also I'm not sure what kind of bundles are out there with the normal size but the blue XL comes with Mario Kart preinstalled. Same price.

Alx1231

Europe and Japan have a white XL bundled with SM3DL (with increased price). I haven't seen a white XL sold separately, which is a shame since I'd rather get it over the red/blue.

belladabin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 belladabin
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
i agree it,The XL is a much better investment, unless you find a bundle with the original for fairly cheap.thanks
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#7 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
It really depends on what you want. I looked at multiple videos about both systems and I think the XL would be the better system because of the redesign and longer battery life. I really don't mind the increased size since I would keep it in my bag together with my tablet as opposed to my pockets
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
get the xl...the screen size is worth it
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

since my thread was locked (I don't know why) I'll ask few questions here instead of creating a new one...
so yea I do not own a 3ds yet but I'm thinking about buying one so...

1. there's a local store near where I live and they're selling used games at a win price, so is there any restriction if I buy mostly used game for 3ds? I mean they're not locked or something? Online content etc?

2. what's up with 3ds XL? Someone mentioned that it's not looking good since you play all the games with upscaled resolution and they look bad or what? Especially if you play the old DS/DSi games... is that true? So you still suggest getting the XL model then or what?

Alx1231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Alx1231
Member since 2007 • 527 Posts

since my thread was locked (I don't know why) I'll ask few questions here instead of creating a new one...

1. there's a local store near where I live and they're selling used games at a win price, so is there any restriction if I buy mostly used game for 3ds? I mean they're not locked or something? Online content etc?

2. what's up with 3ds XL? Someone mentioned that it's not looking good since you play all the games with upscaled resolution and they look bad or what? Especially if you play the old DS/DSi games... is that true? So you still suggest getting the XL model then or what?

V3rciS

Answer to #1: There are absolutely no restrictions to any content for buying used.

Answer to #2: You can tell a little if you have both systems side by side but the general consensus is that the improved screen size is way more than worth it.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

V3rciS

Yes, get the XL.

Look at how small the 1:1 mode is onthe normal 3DS. DS games look and play fine on the XL.

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

XL is much better imo

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Will47
Member since 2007 • 6824 Posts

I generally hear people preferring the XL these days. I picked up my 3DS launch day so I really had no choice. If I could redo I would like an XL .

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

I've had both and I prefer the XL.

helwa1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 helwa1988
Member since 2007 • 2157 Posts

almoalgam
if you have meduim to large hands it may be fine for you. i gave away my 3ds and got a 3dsxl. i didn't like it at all because it was too big for me and i got major hand cramps. now i plan on repurchasing a 3ds
JuanGrande386

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JuanGrande386
Member since 2003 • 1116 Posts

Just wanted to say something about people talking about the picture looking worse on the XL, if someone has never played either then they have nothing to compare and shouldnt worry. Much bigger screens > a little washed out colors IMO.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HowlingLotus

Now that I've started to play my 3DS quite often again I'm noticing that my hands get sore fairly quickly - which is odd as I didn't experience this with the DS Lite or DSi.

If I do want to go ahead and upgrade to an XL all I have to do is perform a system transfer in the store and put my SD card in the XL, yes? It does transfer everything over or no? I've heard stories of people upgrading and all data was lost during the transfer.

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Will47

Now that I've started to play my 3DS quite often again I'm noticing that my hands get sore fairly quickly - which is odd as I didn't experience this with the DS Lite or DSi.

If I do want to go ahead and upgrade to an XL all I have to do is perform a system transfer in the store and put my SD card in the XL, yes? It does transfer everything over or no? I've heard stories of people upgrading and all data was lost during the transfer.

HowlingLotus

I think this video sums it up for you. I would expect you would need to do this in the store if you were trading in the old one. If you do it at a game store they should be cool with it, maybe. Just ask I guess.

Between the transfer and moving over the SD card I think you should have everything. Though you may want to copy the contents of the 3DS's card to the larger 3DS XL card, it comes with a 4GB SD.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I'm sorry but the Xl has got a nasty screen. My advice is to look at both in person and decide for yourself.
Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

I'm sorry but the Xl has got a nasty screen. My advice is to look at both in person and decide for yourself.Heirren
but you have always hated the XL, presumably because you are an early adopter, or got a 3DS right before the XL came out.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="Heirren"]I'm sorry but the Xl has got a nasty screen. My advice is to look at both in person and decide for yourself.Jonwh18

but you have always hated the XL, presumably because you are an early adopter, or got a 3DS right before the XL came out.

No, I planned on buying it. I was going to pre order, but amazon doesn't sell it. So, I read some reviews that brought up some problems, went to best buy to look at it myself, and was turned off by it. The only thing better about it is the dpad comfort. The Xl screens are just cheap. I simply could not believe that the quality turned out to be lower than the original.
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
If the 3DS XL is anything like the DSi XL then it is definitely worth it. I'd sell my 3DS and get an XL if only I wasn't an Ambassador and didn't want to lose all those free GBA games.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Epak_

If the 3DS XL is anything like the DSi XL then it is definitely worth it. I'd sell my 3DS and get an XL if only I wasn't an Ambassador and didn't want to lose all those free GBA games.Kenny789

Then buy the XL, make the data transfer and sell the lite. That's what I'm planning at the moment.

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HowlingLotus

I think this video sums it up for you. I would expect you would need to do this in the store if you were trading in the old one. If you do it at a game store they should be cool with it, maybe. Just ask I guess.

Between the transfer and moving over the SD card I think you should have everything. Though you may want to copy the contents of the 3DS's card to the larger 3DS XL card, it comes with a 4GB SD.

Will47

The video makes it seem simple enough and I already have a 32GB card in my 3DS that I would simply swap into the XL.

The only thing it didn't address is how to treat the 3DS XL straight out of the box. Would I have to setup a profile first or can I transfer ASAP from the menu? It's been awhile since I set up my 3DS and can't remember if I had to set up my profile right away.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]If the 3DS XL is anything like the DSi XL then it is definitely worth it. I'd sell my 3DS and get an XL if only I wasn't an Ambassador and didn't want to lose all those free GBA games.Epak_

Then buy the XL, make the data transfer and sell the lite. That's what I'm planning at the moment.

Did NOT know the Ambassador games would transfer. Well that got me thinking. Hmm.....I wonder if the XL is worth selling the standard 3DS and plunking down a bit more again.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Epak_

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="Kenny789"]If the 3DS XL is anything like the DSi XL then it is definitely worth it. I'd sell my 3DS and get an XL if only I wasn't an Ambassador and didn't want to lose all those free GBA games.Kenny789

Did NOT know the Ambassador games would transfer. Well that got me thinking. Hmm.....I wonder if the XL is worth selling the standard 3DS and plunking down a bit more again.

Those screens man, I don't even really care for the possible increase of jaggies, I just want the bigger screens. Oh and yes, ambassador titles get transferred too. I might pimp my old 3DS for some streetpass action before I sell it. The only problem now is that the black XL model hasn't arrived here yet. I have my eyes on the MH3 bundle at the moment.

HK_Rider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HK_Rider
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

The XL is much better than the 3DS:!:

Will47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Will47
I checked at Gamestop today to ask about their double credit trade-in deal for systems. Normally you can trade-in a 3DS for $35. With the "deal" you'd get $70. There goes any plans I had to trade up to an XL.
Avatar image for marioandlinkfan
marioandlinkfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 marioandlinkfan
Member since 2006 • 223 Posts

I have had both, but personally once I had the xl I never thought about going back. Don't worry about what people say about the bigger screen, same resolution, games look amazing on it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

japan likes the xl better also...

they sell more xl than regular 3ds every week over there....

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HowlingLotus

I checked at Gamestop today to ask about their double credit trade-in deal for systems. Normally you can trade-in a 3DS for $35. With the "deal" you'd get $70. There goes any plans I had to trade up to an XL.Will47

That bad eh? $35 is a kick to the teeth regardless which pricepoint you bought a 3DS at. If I go ahead with upgrading I'll just buy the XL full price and look to sell my 3DS online. Even the $70 seems like a cheap shot.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Epak_

[QUOTE="Will47"]I checked at Gamestop today to ask about their double credit trade-in deal for systems. Normally you can trade-in a 3DS for $35. With the "deal" you'd get $70. There goes any plans I had to trade up to an XL.HowlingLotus

That bad eh? $35 is a kick to the teeth regardless which pricepoint you bought a 3DS at. If I go ahead with upgrading I'll just buy the XL full price and look to sell my 3DS online. Even the $70 seems like a cheap shot.

Gonna ask at least 100 euros ($133) for my old 3DS when I auction it off. Gamestop has to make profit so they give you a little less.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Just bought 3DS XL RED... The handheld is nice and fun but I haven't played any games yet, will pick up some games later.
However I have to point out that being a VITA owner, the screen was a major downgrade. When you got used to VITAS perfect screen the 3ds screen looks inferior. That doesn't mean that I regret buying it, I understand it's absolutely different platform and I am looking forward to play Zelda, Pokemon, Mario and Fire Emblem.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
If you don't mind the size, XL. Picked one up a couple of days ago, second hand in perfect nick packaging and all, for a little more then a second hand normal 3DS. It's a nice machine, only issue I have with it is the back battery plate is a little loose on the bottom.

V3rciS
None. Have a bunch of used and new games, all work fine. However do be careful about buying things on the eshop - purchases are bound to your console, which is just stupid. I'm not aware of a way to circumvent this. Otherwise DS games look great on it. They're a little blurry due to the upscaling (you can launch DS games in their native resolutions too), but honestly it doesn't matter - the sheer size of the screen makes up for it entirely. Playing Advance Wars DS on the XL is just brilliant. The better alternative is a DSXL, but that means another system.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I know I'm in the minority here but ... I've had the XL for six months and am considering going back. While the screen size is striking, while it's more comfortable to hold, while it looks neat ... the pixelation / poor resolution kills it for me. When I first got my original 3DS, I found the 3D striking. When playing the system, my mind would forget I was looking at a screen. Seeing all these pixels when playing the XL, on the other hand, really hurts the immersion. This may be just me, but I can't help cognizant of how grainy everything looks.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

almoalgam

HUGE improvement, there is no comparisson

Also ther is no pixel problem as some may suggest, if you think you see the pixels just hold it slightly further

In the distance i hold it, i dont see any pixels at all and is just perfect

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

I know I'm in the minority here but ... I've had the XL for six months and am considering going back. While the screen size is striking, while it's more comfortable to hold, while it looks neat ... the pixelation / poor resolution kills it for me. When I first got my original 3DS, I found the 3D striking. When playing the system, my mind would forget I was looking at a screen. Seeing all these pixels when playing the XL, on the other hand, really hurts the immersion. This may be just me, but I can't help cognizant of how grainy everything looks.Meinhard1
...I'm pretty anal when it comes to image quality and I don't understand this at all. Sure the pixels are larger but this equates to being able to make out details a lot better (I'm nearsighted so nothing to do with my vision, lol). For example the character portraits in Cave Story are very hard to make out in detail on a regular 3DS and very easy to see on the XL.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I know I'm in the minority here but ... I've had the XL for six months and am considering going back. While the screen size is striking, while it's more comfortable to hold, while it looks neat ... the pixelation / poor resolution kills it for me. When I first got my original 3DS, I found the 3D striking. When playing the system, my mind would forget I was looking at a screen. Seeing all these pixels when playing the XL, on the other hand, really hurts the immersion. This may be just me, but I can't help cognizant of how grainy everything looks.jedinat

...I'm pretty anal when it comes to image quality and I don't understand this at all. Sure the pixels are larger but this equates to being able to make out details a lot better (I'm nearsighted so nothing to do with my vision, lol). For example the character portraits in Cave Story are very hard to make out in detail on a regular 3DS and very easy to see on the XL.

Understandable. I do notice more details on the XL. Still... On the original 3DS playing Ocarina of Time makes me feel like I'm looking through an, albeit tiny, window into Hyrule. When I play this on my XL I can see the spaces between the individual pixels ... it hurts the immersion. The 3D effect is a lot more convincing when the pixels aren't all up in my face.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
[QUOTE="jedinat"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I know I'm in the minority here but ... I've had the XL for six months and am considering going back. While the screen size is striking, while it's more comfortable to hold, while it looks neat ... the pixelation / poor resolution kills it for me. When I first got my original 3DS, I found the 3D striking. When playing the system, my mind would forget I was looking at a screen. Seeing all these pixels when playing the XL, on the other hand, really hurts the immersion. This may be just me, but I can't help cognizant of how grainy everything looks.Meinhard1

Understandable. I do notice more details on the XL. Still... On the original 3DS playing Ocarina of Time makes me feel like I'm looking through an, albeit tiny, window into Hyrule. When I play this on my XL I can see the spaces between the individual pixels ... it hurts the immersion. The 3D effect is a lot more convincing when the pixels aren't all up in my face.

I think that may be more about the 3D effect than the pixel size, actually... I did notice right away that the 3D effect is more pronounced on the original than the XL.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="jedinat"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I know I'm in the minority here but ... I've had the XL for six months and am considering going back. While the screen size is striking, while it's more comfortable to hold, while it looks neat ... the pixelation / poor resolution kills it for me. When I first got my original 3DS, I found the 3D striking. When playing the system, my mind would forget I was looking at a screen. Seeing all these pixels when playing the XL, on the other hand, really hurts the immersion. This may be just me, but I can't help cognizant of how grainy everything looks.Meinhard1

Simple, hold it slightly further and then adjust the 3D slider to see the effect properly

It is still way more spectacular and bigger than the small model and the 3D effect is exactly the same, plus i cant see pixels or anything

There is no comparisson, the XL is just better in every way, by miles

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

It is the same console except for the larger screens. So if you a finding the first 3DS too small to hold or view. Then "upGrade" The 3DS Xl comes with a 4GB SD card instead of just a 2GB for the original 3DS.

I'm happy with the original 3DS. But the 3DS XL maybe better for most people.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

[QUOTE="jedinat"]

yea the 3d is just slightly less good on the xl..

takspeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#43 takspeed
Member since 2010 • 257 Posts

I recently sold my 3ds for the xl and so far...im loving it!!!! I would suggest getting the xl because in my opinion- 1.  Its much more comfortable than the original 3ds, the edges are rounded off so it doesnt jab into your hands like the original did.  2-of course the screen sizes 3- the 3ds slider has a nice little click to make sure it stays in place when ya want to turn it off 4- the d-pad feels much more responsive 5- yay no more fingerprints as the 3ds xl has a mat finish.  im not crazy about the weight, or how mushy the home buttons are but small complaints aside I prefer the xl rather than the original

HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HowlingLotus

I rarely use the 3D at the moment as I bought a 3DS for the games, not the 3D effects. I take it from reading the last few pages the XL is superior in every aspect except 3D effect? If so that is the final thing I need to purchase an XL. 

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Meinhard1

I rarely use the 3D at the moment as I bought a 3DS for the games, not the 3D effects. I take it from reading the last few pages the XL is superior in every aspect except 3D effect? If so that is the final thing I need to purchase an XL. 

HowlingLotus
Yes. And while the 3D effect is less pronounced (and imo, hindered by the poor resolution), some may find it less finicky and easier on the eyes with the XL.
Kaisfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kaisfate
Member since 2013 • 135 Posts
the screen resolution is the one thing i really hate about the 3DS.... compared to the vita, it is just sickening.
BlackStar42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BlackStar42
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Xl has longer battery life. nuff said.
HowlingLotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HowlingLotus

Is leaving the 3DS or 3DS XL in the charger bay for the majority of non playing time bad? I generally had it on the charger when I'm not using it. There have been a few occassions where I left it in my bag for a few days and it has died completely. I tend to take it with me to work and leave it on the whole day and put it on the charger until I leave my house again or play it. 

Will this cycle ruin the battery on the XL once I upgrade? Or should I only charge it once it's dead/extremely low on battery? I know for my DS Lite I had it for years and the battery seemed to be fine and I would always have it plugged in while playing and not playing. 

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
[QUOTE="skrat_01"]If you don't mind the size, XL. Picked one up a couple of days ago, second hand in perfect nick packaging and all, for a little more then a second hand normal 3DS. It's a nice machine, only issue I have with it is the back battery plate is a little loose on the bottom.

V3rciS
None. Have a bunch of used and new games, all work fine. However do be careful about buying things on the eshop - purchases are bound to your console, which is just stupid. I'm not aware of a way to circumvent this. Otherwise DS games look great on it. They're a little blurry due to the upscaling (you can launch DS games in their native resolutions too), but honestly it doesn't matter - the sheer size of the screen makes up for it entirely. Playing Advance Wars DS on the XL is just brilliant. The better alternative is a DSXL, but that means another system.

I'm sure Nintendo will find a way to circumvent that eShop issue just like they managed to get digital Wii content to transfer to Wii U systems On topic: I get some hand cramps playing Mario Kart 7 with all the shoulder button usage on my launch 3DS, do you 3DS XL owners think I would experience less of this with an XL unit? It feels more comfortable in the time I've played it