3DS: 3D effects for people with one working eye?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 sergioalb64
Member since 2005 • 2697 Posts

Hi and thanks for looking. I have glaucoma, and because of it I lost my left eye when I was 8. I've never really cared about '3D', I guess because I've gotten quite used to a 2D life; it's like my whole life is on a single screen :) But then, the 3DS is on its way, with 3D as the biggest new factor, and being a huge DS fan, I can't just ignore it.

I'm still having a bit of a hard time trying to understand how 3D works for the vast majority of you, people with two working eyes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, you always see two slightly different angles of the same object or scenery, therefore being able to perceive depth quite well. As far as I know, the 3DS will recreate this by sending two different images to each side, or eye, without glasses. These quick renders should get the point across...I hope:

3d

Your left eye would see the 4, your right eye would see the 6. My question is, wouldn't people with one eye be able to see some sort of 3D effect on the 3DS? What I'm thinking is that, if I look at the screen, with my one good eye, from the right, I'll see the 6. As I move the screen to the right, I'll see both numbers (top image), and eventually I'll see the 4. This might happen by...

A) Moving my head horizontally from left to right and / or right to left
B) Moving the 3DS horizontally from left to right and / or right to left
C) Tilting the 3DS on place, from left to right and / or right to left

So I might not get the full 3D experience, seeing both sides of the die at the same time, but maybe one of those three options will let me see some sort of pseudo-3D effect.

Of course, this is assuming that both images don't have to be seen (processed?) at the same time, in which case my whole idea is most likely incorrect. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

SiK99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -2

#2 SiK99
Member since 2008 • 1673 Posts
No idea. Maybe someone who has a 3D tv, or is going to a 3D movie can close one eye while watching to see if they still get anything out of it? Then again though, 3D with glasses might be different than 3D without glasses.
d4nny-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 d4nny-
Member since 2008 • 73 Posts

Hi and thanks for looking. I have glaucoma, and because of it I lost my left eye when I was 8. I've never really cared about '3D', I guess because I've gotten quite used to a 2D life; it's like my whole life is on a single screen :) But then, the 3DS is on its way, with 3D as the biggest new factor, and being a huge DS fan, I can't just ignore it.

I'm still having a bit of a hard time trying to understand how 3D works for the vast majority of you, people with two working eyes. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, you always see two slightly different angles of the same object or scenery, therefore being able to perceive depth quite well. As far as I know, the 3DS will recreate this by sending two different images to each side, or eye, without glasses. These quick renders should get the point across...I hope:

3d

Your left eye would see the 4, your right eye would see the 6. My question is, wouldn't people with one eye be able to see some sort of 3D effect on the 3DS? What I'm thinking is that, if I look at the screen, with my one good eye, from the right, I'll see the 6. As I move the screen to the right, I'll see both numbers (top image), and eventually I'll see the 4. This might happen by...

A) Moving my head horizontally from left to right and / or right to left
B) Moving the 3DS horizontally from left to right and / or right to left
C) Tilting the 3DS on place, from left to right and / or right to left

So I might not get the full 3D experience, seeing both sides of the die at the same time, but maybe one of those three options will let me see some sort of pseudo-3D effect.

Of course, this is assuming that both images don't have to be seen (processed?) at the same time, in which case my whole idea is most likely incorrect. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

sergioalb64

I'm confused.. if i close one eye i can see the exact same.. lol just no right peripheral vision.

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

People with one eye won't be able to see the 3D effect. Although you have the general idea correct of how the 3D functions, you can't get the effect by shifting your single eye's view back and forth. You need to see two images simutaneously with each eye, the brain is then 'tricked' when it meshes the two slightly different views together.

King-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 King-gamer
Member since 2006 • 5633 Posts

Let me explain a few things.

If you mean the pseudo 3D like this DSi Ware game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3lDoVwEmt

Then no, it's not like that. The 3DS works using parallax barries, tiny lines that block certain pixels from getting to each eye. There is a sweet spot which you must hold your 3DS, otherwise you get a double image, you can't just move it left and right to get the ffect. The 3DS works by having both eyes see two different images at once, our brain will then process them providing the illusion of depth.

It will be difficult to explain how stereoscpic 3D works unless you experience it yourself, but I will try to explain it as well as I can. Our eyes are able to focus on object of a certain distance. Any object focused at around the same distance/angel will be clear, everything else that is at a slightly different distance/angle will be blurred and get doubled. From this, our brain will be able to interpret distance. If we look at object A and Object B at the same distance, they will both be clearly focused by our eyes. If I were to bring object A closer to me while having my eyes focused on object B, object A will be blurred and double imaged, B will remain unchanged. That's how we tell distance.

sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sergioalb64

People with one eye won't be able to see the 3D effect. Although you have the general idea correct of how the 3D functions, you can't get the effect by shifting your single eye's view back and forth. You need to see two images simutaneously with each eye, the brain is then 'tricked' when it meshes the two slightly different views together.

RahnAetas
Hmm. Well, yeah, people with one working eye certainly can't see '3D' life, real or mimicked by a screen. Thing is, when I see the 3DS slightly from the left, wouldn't that be a different 'image' than if I view it from slightly to the right? Since the 3DS produces two top-screen images simultaneously, wouldn't there be some way for people like me to tell them apart, although not at the same time? Man, 3D is confusing :)
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

Don't worry man you're not really missing out on much. 3D can actually be quite an annoyance after awhile (probably why they added a feature to turn it off on the 3DS in the first place) You got the idea though of how 3D works pretty well but you won't be able to see it with only one eye. I'm sure the 3DS will have great 3D effects but after the first month or so it really wont be anything spectacular. 3D in video games and movies even causes some people headaches and vomiting.

Not to say that it's not going to be a fun experience and add to games, it just isn't going to wow anybody after the first few hours of gameplay.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts

The 3DS' effect isn't actual 3D anyway.

When real 3D happens even those with one eye will be able to see it. The 3DS is just stereoscopic 3D (or a similar perversion of it).

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

When real 3D happens even those with one eye will be able to see it. The 3DS is just stereoscopic 3D (or a similar perversion of it).

tequilasunriser

No. If you only have one eye you cannot see 3D, as in it's very difficult to judge depth.
Just try it, close one eye and stretch out your hand and reach for some object, as you'll notice, you won't know exactly how far to stretch out before you reach the object.
The whole point of having two eyes is so that you can judge distance.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
well i have a friend with only 1 working eye and regular 3D doesn't work with him because you need both eyes to trick your brain into thinking 2 images are actually in 3 dimensions, i'd guess it's unlikely it'll work for you. you can always turn the 3D off, though.
millerjs1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 millerjs1986
Member since 2009 • 993 Posts
All I know is that I'm not buying the 3DS for the 3D (as neat as it may be). I'm getting it for the greatly-upgraded graphics.
ausgamer529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 ausgamer529
Member since 2006 • 462 Posts

make a second eye patch with one half red and one half blue and bam instant 3d

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tequilasunriser

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]

yellonet

No. If you only have one eye you cannot see 3D, as in it's very difficult to judge depth.
Just try it, close one eye and stretch out your hand and reach for some object, as you'll notice, you won't know exactly how far to stretch out before you reach the object.

I don't think you understand what I mean. Actually, I know you don't.

Think about a hologram in the true sense. Like in Starwars (even though its not true, but for this example it works), an image you can walk around in 360 degrees to see all dimensions. An image displayed on the X,Y,and Z axis, utilizing 3 dimensions.

Then think of the 3DS. Is the image actually popping out at you so that if there is a face on the 3DS screen and you tilt it you can see the sides, top, bottom of the face? No the image will distort and whenever tilted you will simply see a 2 dimensional display. It is an illusion like magic eye, it is stereoscopic 3D. Not true 3D. True 3D (3 dimensions) can be seen with 1 eye, depth, however, can not. Since this illusion requires depth perception it can not be seen to a single eyed person.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

tequilasunriser

Think about a hologram in the true sense. Like in Starwars (even though its not true, but for this example it works), an image you can walk around in 360 degrees to see all dimensions. An image displayed on the X,Y,and Z axis, utilizing 3 dimensions.

Then think of the 3DS. Is the image actually popping out at you so that if there is a face on the 3DS screen and you tilt it you can see the sides, top, bottom of the face? No the image will distort and whenever tilted you will simply see a 2 dimensional display. It is an illusion like magic eye, it is stereoscopic 3D. Not true 3D. True 3D (3 dimensions) can be seen with 1 eye, depth, however, can not. Since this illusion requires depth perception it can not be seen to a single eyed person.

well i'm sorry if we didn't reach star wars in terms of technology.

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tequilasunriser

[QUOTE="yellonet"]No. If you only have one eye you cannot see 3D, as in it's very difficult to judge depth.

BrunoBRS

Some day we probably will. Until then don't make false statements like, "people with one eye see in 2D hurr durr."

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]

tequilasunriser

Some day we probably will. Until then don't make false statements like, "people with one eye see in 2D hurr durr."

well, people with one working eye do see in 2 dimensions, as the second eye is needed for ANY kind of 3rd dimension, from the real, tangible third dimension to the "fake 3D" that, until 3D holograms are invented, WILL BE CONSIDERED 3D.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 tequilasunriser
Wow, yeah, I'm not going to beat a dead horse with a stick. Whatever man. The world is flat and the sun revolves around us.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BrunoBRS
it's not like we don't know it's not really 3 dimenions,but just stop and think how ridiculous it sounds to say "two 2D images with a special screen to make a 2D image that gives the impression it is on 3 dimensions" rather than just calling it 3D.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tequilasunriser
it's not like we don't know it's not really 3 dimenions,but just stop and think how ridiculous it sounds to say "two 2D images with a special screen to make a 2D image that gives the impression it is on 3 dimensions" rather than just calling it 3D.BrunoBRS
Stereoscopic 3D... is that so hard? It's like TV manufacturers that claim they have LED TVs when in reality the TVs are LED back lit LCD TVs.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yellonet

[QUOTE="yellonet"]

[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]No. If you only have one eye you cannot see 3D, as in it's very difficult to judge depth.

tequilasunriser

Yes, I understood that was what you meant with "actual 3D" 3D, but that doesn't matter, in order to see 3D, i.e. being able to judge distance both in x, y and z you need two eyes, it doesn't matter if you watch a hologram or the real world.

Of course you can see the three dimensions with just one eye, but you don't experience the depth.

Then think of the 3DS. Is the image actually popping out at you so that if there is a face on the 3DS screen and you tilt it you can see the sides, top, bottom of the face? No the image will distort and whenever tilted you will simply see a 2 dimensional display. It is an illusion like magic eye, it is stereoscopic 3D. Not true 3D. True 3D (3 dimensions) can be seen with 1 eye, depth, however, can not. Since this illusion requires depth perception it can not be seen to a single eyed person.tequilasunriser

If you understood this all along, what are you arguing about? The depth perception is what the 3DS is about, you will see things as you do in real life with two eyes, but from one point only. This depth effect will be absent if you don't have two eyes, just as it is in the real world.

Up until now all gamers have seen the game worlds as a one-eyed person sees the world, so in games we have seen the same thing, this is about to change, with the 3DS, two-eyed gamers will now see things as how they see the real world.

Games will no longer only have a drawn depth but also a perceived depth.

yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yellonet

Until then don't make false statements like, "people with one eye see in 2D hurr durr."

tequilasunriser
They do. One-eyed persons do not perceive depth, therefore they see in 2D, of course they can see 3D objects - no one is disputing that - but they still see them in 2D, just like you see a 3D game on a 2D screen.

tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tequilasunriser
If an object/image is 3 dimensional is doesn't cease being in 3 dimensions with the absence of an eye. The '3D" image on the 3DS screen is an optical illusion. If viewed with one eye the image becomes 2 dimensional. What is so difficult about understanding this?
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]If an object/image is 3 dimensional is doesn't cease being in 3 dimensions with the absence of an eye. The '3D" image on the 3DS screen is an optical illusion. If viewed with one eye the image becomes 2 dimensional. What is so difficult about understanding this?

why are you nitpicking on terms? it's not like everyone says "pseudo 3D illusion" rather than ABBREVIATING it to 3D (we're not dumb, we know the thing isn't jumping off the screen) people with one eye have a reverse optical illusion, there you go.
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tequilasunriser
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="tequilasunriser"]If an object/image is 3 dimensional is doesn't cease being in 3 dimensions with the absence of an eye. The '3D" image on the 3DS screen is an optical illusion. If viewed with one eye the image becomes 2 dimensional. What is so difficult about understanding this?

why are you nitpicking on terms? it's not like everyone says "pseudo 3D illusion" rather than ABBREVIATING it to 3D (we're not dumb, we know the thing isn't jumping off the screen) people with one eye have a reverse optical illusion, there you go.

I really don't know why I'm nit picking. Basically its sucks if you only have 1 eye it would be worse if you had none. I'm done.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yellonet

If an object/image is 3 dimensional is doesn't cease being in 3 dimensions with the absence of an eye.tequilasunriser
True, and no one said otherwise.

The '3D" image on the 3DS screen is an optical illusion. If viewed with one eye the image becomes 2 dimensional. What is so difficult about understanding this?tequilasunriser
This is what I've been saying all along.

However, seeing in 3D and being able to see 3D images are two very different things. If you only have one eye you see in 2D although you can obviously see 3D objects, it's as simple as that.

Atatabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Atatabear
Member since 2011 • 26 Posts
I was kinda wondering on this myself but right now just looking ridiculous. there's a couple things that make 3d perspective... first one doesnt work with be because the red and blue glasses... just sat around staring at a screen with a shade of blue going "what's all this then?" I was ecstatic when the clear 3d glasses came out, though, hate wearing glasses in general since, well, I have glasses already, 6 eyes hurrdurr. Was able to perceive the popping-out-ness for once. so it was able to make something other than a visual of a flat screen. The problem with this it's kinda like, will it still be visual to gameplay standard. will my eyes, or shall I say 'eye', react and interact with the 3d background. I'd like to not go back to having people suggest I make myself crosseyed to see in 3D. If this doesnt work it's cruel to restrict the handicapable... which this would be the only reason I'd even compliment my eyesight for handicapped since... well I only really need 1 eye to see color. who cares if I can't catch a football.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts

tequilasunriser

3D works differently for those with 2 eyes than for those with 1 eye. Yes, you can perceive 3 dimensions with 1 eye but that is only if there are other sources from which to reference the size and shape of an object. If an object of unknown size was held at an unknown distance from a person with one eye, they could not accurately judge that distance because they cannot see the location of that object within the 3rd dimension. You could lay that same object on a table or other familiar surface and the person would be able to judge its size and distance because they use the other objects connecting to that object in space to judge it's size.

With 2 eyes, a person can judge the size and distance of an object in any of these situations.

ALL ACTUAL 3D IS STEREOSCOPIC if it is actually seen in 3D. The 3D environments shown in previous games are not actual 3D. The 3D effect is produced by using tricks of perspective to make it look like the world has depth. The 3DS is one of the first platforms to show environments in actual 3D as opposed to artificial 3D. People with one eye can perceive artificial 3D because it does not require the person to view it from 2 angles simultaneously. They cannot perceive actual 3D because it does require them to view it from 2 angles simultaneously.

I hope this helps with some of the confusion.

Caybrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Caybrown
Member since 2004 • 3722 Posts
I also cannot see 3D. I only have one good eye. I have very low eye sight in my right eye and am nearly blind out of it, I also have glaucoma. It is a little disappointing not being about to see the 3D effects on the 3DS. But I am enjoying it even though I can't see 3D. Gaming shouldnt just be about 3D anyway especially for those of us who have one good eye :P. And who brought back this 2010 topic lol.
TankZorz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TankZorz
Member since 2004 • 1836 Posts
Another newbie who was nice enough to use the search but didn't think to look at the date... :P Normally I wouldn't have posted in the thread but the discussion was too stupid to ignore.
sergioalb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sergioalb64

Oh wow; it's back! I started this thread, y'know? :)

Yeah, I tried the 3DS at Best Buy and it's almost everything I expected; I can shift either the system or my head side to side, and I see different 'views' of what's going on in the game; different perspectives, with background objects having more 'shift' than objects on the front. What I didn't anticipate seeing was a 'dark spot' while shifting between the images; the screen looks dark, and I couldn't distinguish which of the 2 views was being displayed.

So the two perspectives are there, sure, but the 3D effect can only be 'seen' when you see both perspectives at once, with two working eyes.

Caybrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Caybrown
Member since 2004 • 3722 Posts

Oh wow; it's back! I started this thread, y'know? :)

Yeah, I tried the 3DS at Best Buy and it's almost everything I expected; I can shift either the system or my head side to side, and I see different 'views' of what's going on in the game; different perspectives, with background objects having more 'shift' than objects on the front. What I didn't anticipate seeing was a 'dark spot' while shifting between the images; the screen looks dark, and I couldn't distinguish which of the 2 views was being displayed.

So the two perspectives are there, sure, but the 3D effect can only be 'seen' when you see both perspectives at once, with two working eyes.

sergioalb64

Yeah that's exactly what I see too. I have one working eye as well, but I think you will enjoy the 3DS even though you can not fully see the 3D effects.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
ya i have a near sighted left eye and my depth perception is a little off i can kind of see the 3 d not extremely well. but i do see it. and i can certainly see it in movies with the glasses on. that said i dont think ive really found the sweet spot yet or perhaps street fighter isnt quite as amazing in 3 d as i was thinking? but i do still see somethings in 3 d on the game. like the case to the game if i look at it dead on it blurs a bit if i tilt it i can see the 3 d.