3 Ways Nintendo Can Get Their Mojo Back

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts
1. Free To Play Have at least 20 free to play online-play games for the consoles. Nintendo should reach out to companies who make these free to play games (and I don't mean crappy flash game quality, but whole 3d modern games like Super Monday Night Combat). Nintendo and the companies can recoup the profits with optional DLC content. One of their biggest faults is online play, but if Nintendo can have let's say 20 F2P online games, that flaw is easily gone. 2. Virtual Console Discounts Every day on Nintendo's shop, Nintendo should offer 1 Virtual Console game on sale, featured on the main page, for 50% off. It will give the shop more traffic and more people will use their Wii U daily. And not just shovelware games. Even offer titles like OOT and M64 for half-off sometimes. They would be getting small profits of people who wouldn't have bought it anyway. 3. Expand Retro Nintendo is sitting on $12 billion. They should spend 1 billion dollars to expand Retro. Make them an big 2nd party just like Rare was in the 90's. Basically, each company can alternate years with major releases ensuring the console has a steady lifespan. Also, let Retro make a brand new series maybe.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts

1. Not many people really care about F2P, and it will always bet better on PC anyway. Sure, more games is always better. But F2P isn't a solution to the poor sales.

2. That's a great idea.

3. Retro should expand at its own pace. Nintendo shouldn't meddle in their growth. They could invest that money in acquiring other studios, or fostering relationships with other studios, but even that would be a shaky investment.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

1. Not many people really care about F2P, and it will always bet better on PC anyway. Sure, more games is always better. But F2P isn't a solution to the poor sales.

2. That's a great idea.

3. Retro should expand at its own pace. Nintendo shouldn't meddle in their growth. They could invest that money in acquiring other studios, or fostering relationships with other studios, but even that would be a shaky investment.

meetroid8
F2P is better for Wii U than PC. The PC has a glut of online play games. Why would I both with F2P games, when I already have a dozen of better online play games I bought. But for Wii U, it literally has NOTHING. And a ton of Free To Play games is a step up from nothing. Especially since they're not nearly as labor intensive. I say Nintendo should just let the third party F2P game makers keep most of the profit, as the inclusion of them alone would boost the system.
simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="meetroid8"]

2. That's a great idea.

drekula2
F2P is better for Wii U than PC. The PC has a glut of online play games. Why would I both with F2P games, when I already have a dozen of better online play games I bought. But for Wii U, it literally has NOTHING. And a ton of Free To Play games is a step up from nothing. Especially since they're not nearly as labor intensive. I say Nintendo should just let the third party F2P game makers keep most of the profit, as the inclusion of them alone would boost the system.

Some how I doubt people will buy a Wii U for free to play games... Especially since most people these days have a computer and a smart phone that can play a crap load of free to play games. Also the Ouya is far too competitively priced for the Wii U to stand a chance in the f2p market.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
expanding on #2, they should adopt steam's policy of constant, meaningful sales (i'm talking like 50%, not 10%). steam not only has a daily deal like you suggested, but from tuesday to friday they put two games/franchises on sale, and from thursday to monday they put another two. there is ALWAYS a reason to go and check the store, and that not only generates traffic, but sales too.
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

expanding on #2, they should adopt steam's policy of constant, meaningful sales (i'm talking like 50%, not 10%). steam not only has a daily deal like you suggested, but from tuesday to friday they put two games/franchises on sale, and from thursday to monday they put another two. there is ALWAYS a reason to go and check the store, and that not only generates traffic, but sales too.BrunoBRS
To be fair though, Steam has a ton more games on their store than Nintendo. We'd get the same games on sale over and over again on the Wii U. I don't think the Wii U eshop is large enough to have such a large scale sale system like Steam. If they merged the Wii Vc into the Wii U eshop then they coudl easily do it for the VC but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
How about reviving old franchises? Ya know the ones that didnt see any Wii releases at all.
Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

They need to expand the VC, add games on their at a faster rate. Offer sales and incentives to go digital. Going forward, im just going to get a 500 gig. Also, expand studios owned, Team Ninty/Retro/monolith cant do it all. Possibly aqcuire avaible studios. Exmaple (never probably happen) asorbing Sega seems logical to. That would add a storied, high profile studio to their mix. They have great gaes, they have grat Ips. THey need someone to not only work on thier existing ones, but make new ones and expand.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

They need to buy developers and IP's

Get a few western shooter/RPG dev's

Get back Banjo, Conker, etc. and leave it to Retro

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

How about reviving old franchises? Ya know the ones that didnt see any Wii releases at all.bbkkristian

This, too

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]expanding on #2, they should adopt steam's policy of constant, meaningful sales (i'm talking like 50%, not 10%). steam not only has a daily deal like you suggested, but from tuesday to friday they put two games/franchises on sale, and from thursday to monday they put another two. there is ALWAYS a reason to go and check the store, and that not only generates traffic, but sales too.Toxic-Seahorse

To be fair though, Steam has a ton more games on their store than Nintendo. We'd get the same games on sale over and over again on the Wii U. I don't think the Wii U eshop is large enough to have such a large scale sale system like Steam. If they merged the Wii Vc into the Wii U eshop then they coudl easily do it for the VC but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

it doesn't have to be as big and frequent as steam, but something that keeps you always coming back to check what's on sale would be nice. plus, steam's "big" sales are always of fairly recent games...
Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

they need an awesome sandbox game like minecraft

fugwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fugwit
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
1- get rid of the power pc architecture 2- get rid of the power pc architecture 3- get rid of the power pc architecture
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17868 Posts
1- get rid of the power pc architecture 2- get rid of the power pc architecture 3- get rid of the power pc architecture fugwit
thats a 3rd party problem not a nintendo development problem. hell i reckon they stuck with it because all their in house tools are very geared towards that processor. It is essentially 3 gamecube processors strapped together and clocked up. changing CPU architecture wont make games magically better though. anywho a few things 1) as suggested an eshop sale. maybe come to an agreement with devs using the store about having a once in a year massive promotion like the steam summer sale. also let developers set the price to whatever they want (i am not sure if ninty allow this) and let them have their own sales on the estore when they wish. make the process of aranging this (you would want any sale to be front and center on the stores main page afterall) as quick and painless as possible. 2) go shopping for devs. i wouldnt be a fan of pumping a billion into just retro. i dont think anyone except accountants would come out of that a winner. but i do think nintendo should be shopping....get more devs under their wing. a few more purchases like monolith would do nintendo the world of good. if they could find the next CDProjekt red or the next bungie then happy days. 3rd party support will be flaky at best so more studios to carry ninty platforms couldnt hurt. 3) invest in a sony liverpool (hell get sony liverpool people...they were sadly shut down :( ). by that i mean have a tech team. im not sure how nintendos internals work but the impression i get is that nintendo dont really build game engines. or to put it another way they do...but the engine is tightly coupled to the game. in the past this did have its advantages but nowadays its not worth it. if nintendo had an internal master tech team who built the underlying tech for all of nintendos own games then they could save a lot of money. other devs could build specific parts of the engine if it needs upgrades but one team should be the tech master at ninty. their job would be to build the engine (in an abstract and easy to configure way) and tools the other devs need. does mario kart 8 run on the same engine as pikmin? i doubt it (though if someone has a link to show otherwise i would love to see it) but there no reason why it shouldnt. ninty are struggeling with tech and if they are adament on keeping teams relatively small (which certainly has its positives) then they need to allow those developers spend more time on building the game and not the tech to run those games. 4) lay off mario....brand fatigue is setting in. 5) dont listen to fans so much......be daring even if it will upset some. 6) pikmin total war...do it nintendo...doo it. :P
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

I'd say:

1. Buy some third party developers. WayForward, Platinum, Shin'en, High Voltage Software, Precursor Games, or even Sega and all it's studios

2. Nintendo Network Plus: Free Wii U retail game every month, free Virtual Console title every month, free eShop game every month and discounts. Include one year of this service for $49 with a Nintendo branded 160GB-250GB USB HDD.

3. Invest in some marketing. Take at least $200 million of that $10 billion cash and throw it into some great marketing. Have ads that directly attack how other next-gen consoles won't have free online play, won't have off-TV play. Like kids arguing over playing COD on their TV when suddenly a person whips out the Pad and they are envious of him. Sorta like those Windows tablet ads that make fun of Siri/iPad

4. Make a smaller, cheaper to produce Wii U Game Pad. Cut costs as far down as possible, ideally $30 per controller. Right now $80 per controller to manufacture is insane.

5. Make new 3DS model that is light, and very close to current 3DS model but with the XL' s improvements like rounded edges, bettery battery life, even change SD slot for MicroSD slot. Pack in a digital copy of 3D Land on every unit for $129 (regular) and $159 (XL) respectively and watch sales blow up in NA

6. Oh, and give Microsoft whatever they want for Rare and it's IPs. Hell, leave Rare and just buy the IPs and code! $500 million would be more than enough even if Rare isn't worth that, though if they offered more than $100 million I think MS would have  a hard time refusing. 

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

1- get rid of the power pc architecture 2- get rid of the power pc architecture 3- get rid of the power pc architecture fugwit

Well, sure maybe in 2017 when their next console comes out

Rod90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Rod90
Member since 2008 • 7269 Posts
Mojo? :?
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]How about reviving old franchises? Ya know the ones that didnt see any Wii releases at all.conkertheking1

This, too

ya that be hard i can only name a few franchises that did not have a new entry in ,

stunt race

fzero 

starfox 

1080 thats 4 games 

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

eShop: The eShop could be huge if nintendo put everything up now, instead of continuing this trickle strategy. Yea, it's nice to have something to look forward to every week, but they're potentially losing sales from games people would buy now, but may not in a few months or years when they finally get put on the eShop.

Advertising: Nintendo needs to get back to mainstream advertising on TV. Bring back "now you're playing with power"! I still feel people don't know what a Wii-U is. And show footage of the games. Forget about showing the gamepad.

Connectivity: Wii-U/3DS compatibility. And with that, make the nintendo network universal to all nintendo products. You should be able to play your Wii-U bought eShop games on the 3DS, with your scores and what-not updating online. Let me manage my (one) friend's list from either console. We should be able to message friends from the 3DS and Wii-U.

Rework Smash Bros. to allow cross-play between the Wii-U and 3DS, even if it's a separate mode from the main game.

Games: Wii-U value editions. Mario Kart 8 should have at least one or two older Mario Karts as unlockables/free DLC. Include Pikmin 1 and/or 2 with Pikmin 3. How about Donkey Kong and DK Junior with DKCR Tropical Freeze. With so many HD remakes and compilations of older games out there, Nintendo could really take advantage of their library and offer some great games.

And yes, release a new installment of every known franchise that the Wii missed. Wave Race, Star Fox, F-Zero.

masterninja9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 masterninja9
Member since 2013 • 203 Posts
HD collections with GC/Wii virtual console
emirblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emirblade
Member since 2008 • 904 Posts

They could at least use this time to release awesome virtual console games instead of games like "Vegas Stakes". This is no way to create interest in these times of game droughts.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

1. HD Zelda

2. HD Metroid

3. HD 3D Mario

And a price cut.