2015 looks bad for wiiu

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by pc-ps360 (3462 posts) -

for now 2014 is crap on wiiu with a huge drought, tho wiiu will be amazing later this year with smash, mario kar, bayonetta, yoshi, hyrule and x.

but is it me or has nintendo no announce a single major retail game since over a year ago with bayonetta 2. i mean the only game they hav announce is hyrule warriors from tecmo and there are doubts that this is going to be good.

could it be nintendo is trying to kill off the wiiu and is already planning the release of a new console.

#2 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

By that logic, all of the new consoles have horrible 2015 lineups in store. We're barely into 2014, and knowing Nintendo's tendency to announce games that are releasing within a few months, worrying about 2015 is as premature as it comes.

Nintendo's not killing the Wii U. They just aren't. It's a brand new console, regardless of sales. There's literally no discussion to be had. It's not going anywhere anytime soon, for better or worse.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#3 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9116 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

By that logic, all of the new consoles have horrible 2015 lineups in store. We're barely into 2014, and knowing Nintendo's tendency to announce games that are releasing within a few months, worrying about 2015 is as premature as it comes.

Nintendo's not killing the Wii U. They just aren't. It's a brand new console, regardless of sales. There's literally no discussion to be had. It's not going anywhere anytime soon, for better or worse.

This.

#4 Posted by etmaul (760 posts) -

I'll wait until e3 before I jump on the "doom & gloom" train.

#5 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9869 posts) -

It's March of 2014. How much do you expect there to be announced for any system at all?

#6 Edited by Raptor_Herc (330 posts) -

Too early to judge at this point.

Project "X" and Yarn Yoshi will most likely be 2015 releases, along with Zelda Wii U (possibly) and maybe even SMT vs. FE, so it will at least be on part with this year's one major title every 3 months strategy (pending surprise influx of releases towards end of year), with the occasional indie/3rd party title to help fill the gaps. I doubt Nintendo will kill off the Wii U this early, although they might announce a new console in a couple of years.

#7 Posted by jcrame10 (4005 posts) -

@pc-ps360: Wii U is never gonna get games, or even release dates at this point. I mean, all those games you announced have been in the works for a long time and we still don't have numbers. Mario Kart being the only exception. I would love a new Metroid announcement. Would love to hear more about the Fire Emblem game. Would love to see a Star Fox or F-Zero reboot-- probably the two biggest Nintendo franchises that would utilize the Wii U gamepad and wiimotes the best. Oh, and 3 or 4 brand new IPs would be a nice change from Nintendo, for once.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
#8 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

e3's coming soon. And they have to get games out for this year first...

Nintendo could at any time announce a huge game and have it come out a few months, they're crazy like that.

#9 Edited by KBFloYd (18891 posts) -

so 2015 looks horrible for playstation and xbox too? theres no announced games either..

wiiu has 2014 on lock...as long as call duty mw4 comes out for it.

#10 Edited by pierst179 (10803 posts) -

2015 is pretty far away...

#11 Posted by superbuuman (5966 posts) -

Only care that X gets release at this point. :P

#12 Edited by am_h8ter_ade (62 posts) -

@YearoftheSnake5: I don't know. Were you around for the virtual boy and how quickly they killed that off. It was here today and gone tomorrow kind of quick.

#13 Posted by ANIMEguy10034 (4954 posts) -

@am_h8ter_ade: Yeah, but the Virtual Boy had a lot more problems than the Wii U. At least the Wii U is comfortable to play on and does not easily cause dizziness, nausea and headaches.

#14 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

Wii U needs some of that Yolo Swagger. Don't worry Mario Kart will bring it.

#15 Posted by nini200 (11484 posts) -

All I care about at the moment is Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem. The rest can wait.

#16 Edited by glimpus (2306 posts) -

E3, new Zelda announced plus others I'm sure. Iwata already said Zelda gameplay will be shown. The game's likely to be released in 2015, that in itself is major for the system.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
#17 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (9116 posts) -

@ANIMEguy10034 said:

@am_h8ter_ade: Yeah, but the Virtual Boy had a lot more problems than the Wii U. At least the Wii U is comfortable to play on and does not easily cause dizziness, nausea and headaches.

Also, the Virtual Boy was in its own space. It wasn't quite a handheld, nor was it a home console. It was an attempt at branching out into the VR space. Because of this, canning it when it failed didn't assassinate consumer confidence.

#18 Posted by juboner (1183 posts) -

I would have loved to see starfox and zelda on the VB, I have one doesnt hurt my eyes or give me a headache in the slightest amount.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
#19 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@pc-ps360: Nice name......cant take you serious. But Nintendo revealed Bayonetta 2 and such LAST YEAR. They do it a year in advance. Games will come next year, Wii U isn't being killed off. Maybe a Kirby game for Wii U, but Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, and Yoshi Land U, and Miyamoto's new game probably, maybe Starfox??? Mario Party 10?

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
#20 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4971 posts) -

1. Zelda U is confirmed to be announced at E3. Obviously its a 2015 title with Hyrule Warriors due out this year.

2. SMT x FE still doesn't have a date or footage.

3. Every system has a terrible 2015 when you look at actual confirmed releases. There are always surprises and games that go unrevealed until just before release. It was only six months-8 months ago we didn't know of Yoshi's New Island, Kirby 3D, Pokemon Trozei, Chibi Robo, Steel Diver Subwars and others for 3DS.

4. This isn't anything new. Nintendo usually announces games that aren't titled Zelda or Smash Bros until 6-12 months before release. Heck DKC Tropical Freeze wasn't announced and was a huge surprise six-8 months before it released too.

5. If you did any research you'd know that while 2015 looks empty now (it does for every system) that this is just how things go, especially for Nintendo. Just wait dude by the end of 2014 you'll have a much clearer picture.

#21 Edited by Jaysonguy (39454 posts) -

I think it's worrysome

Anyone with any knowledge of how Nintendo works knows that they talk about titles that are years away. I mean look at almost every single Nintendo direct, every title is marked years in advance, the fact that they have no word at all on titles should concern people.

I think the main thing is Nintendo is playing catch up. Even though they launched first they're still not up to operating speed and the overall failure that is the Wii U makes it hard to plan in advance.

#22 Posted by Ovirew (8116 posts) -

I think it's too early to be talking about 2015. It's early 2014. While a lot of the big games are mentioned years before they finally release, we can't say for certain that we know about every last game that will release in 2014, let alone 2015.

At the same time, yes is it concerning that Nintendo has no real concrete release dates for a lot of their games, and there are large gaps throughout the year where people have to spend months waiting for the next big game to come. To a lot of Nintendo gamers things may not be so bad, but to people on the fence about the system, they simply aren't seeing enough variety or any new IPs.

#23 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Jaysonguy said:

I think it's worrysome

Anyone with any knowledge of how Nintendo works knows that they talk about titles that are years away. I mean look at almost every single Nintendo direct, every title is marked years in advance, the fact that they have no word at all on titles should concern people.

I think the main thing is Nintendo is playing catch up. Even though they launched first they're still not up to operating speed and the overall failure that is the Wii U makes it hard to plan in advance.

Just the opposite, actually. Nintendo's better than anyone at showing off brand new titles that are coming out within the year. Last year, we had no idea that Mario 3D World or Donkey Kong Country existed, and both of those came out within a year of their announcement. It was only their panicked February Direct from last year that they showed off tons of content that we haven't seen since.

They do simply talk about games that aren't coming for awhile, but they don't often show those games off. They've mentioned the new Zelda, but they haven't shown us anything because it's not coming out for awhile.

#24 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

WRONG about Zelda. Come this November-December it will have been in the works for 4 years or so. Nintendo was going to show it off not once but twice last year. Miyamoto chose to not show it off last E3, then Anouma wanted to show it off some other time but couldn't due to A Link Between Worlds. The game is ALOT further in development then people think. It will release this year unless the typical 1 year Zelda delay happens like with Twilight and Skyward Sword. You cant use the excuse "We haven't seen anything yet so it wont be out this year...Look at some games, Hyrule Warriors was shown off this year and poof its coming this year, Dr. Luigi was revealed and poof came out a month later, Kirby Triple Deluxe was announced then came out in Japan like 3 months later. Release dates + Nintendo = invalid. Zelda HD should be November/December 2014.

#25 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools: I think you might have missed the part of the post where I mentioned Nintendo's really good at showing off brand new games that are releasing within a few months. No worries, my posts can get a little long-winded.

And yes, I know the game's been in development for awhile. I'm a gigantic Zelda fan, but I don't see it coming later this year. I would be surprised if it did, not only because Hyrule Warriors is coming out later this year -- I'd guess August if I had to -- but also because of what you mentioned, the typical Zelda delay. It just kind of happens with every title. I have a feeling we might see a spring release in 2015, but that will be entirely based on what else Nintendo has coming out. Skyward Sword was finished early in 2011, but they didn't have anything big for the holidays, so it was held back.

I would love nothing more than to play a new Zelda game at the end of the year, but I see it coming in 2015. If you're correct about a fall release this year, I will eat my proverbial hat.... And freak the f*** out. But I give you free reign to rub it in my face if I'm wrong (I do hope I'm wrong).

#26 Edited by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Master_Of_Fools: I think you might have missed the part of the post where I mentioned Nintendo's really good at showing off brand new games that are releasing within a few months. No worries, my posts can get a little long-winded.

And yes, I know the game's been in development for awhile. I'm a gigantic Zelda fan, but I don't see it coming later this year. I would be surprised if it did, not only because Hyrule Warriors is coming out later this year -- I'd guess August if I had to -- but also because of what you mentioned, the typical Zelda delay. It just kind of happens with every title. I have a feeling we might see a spring release in 2015, but that will be entirely based on what else Nintendo has coming out. Skyward Sword was finished early in 2011, but they didn't have anything big for the holidays, so it was held back.

I would love nothing more than to play a new Zelda game at the end of the year, but I see it coming in 2015. If you're correct about a fall release this year, I will eat my proverbial hat.... And freak the f*** out. But I give you free reign to rub it in my face if I'm wrong (I do hope I'm wrong).

It would be a shock to most people if Zelda came out this year, it's *very* unlikely. Fall 2015 is most likely unfortunately..

But yeah, it'd be great to be wrong!

#27 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

The thing about Hyrule Warriors (Which by the way looks like utter crap and I wont be getting it lol) is its kinda like the Zelda DLC in Sonic Lost worlds, its not to hold people over till Zelda HD, its just Dynasty Warriors paying tribute to Zelda. Although its more of an insult to Zelda in this case.

#28 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

The thing about Hyrule Warriors (Which by the way looks like utter crap and I wont be getting it lol) is its kinda like the Zelda DLC in Sonic Lost worlds, its not to hold people over till Zelda HD, its just Dynasty Warriors paying tribute to Zelda. Although its more of an insult to Zelda in this case.

And I agree. It has nothing to do with the new Zelda title, but I'm not sure two Zelda titles are going to release on Wii U in the same year, let alone the same quarter. I think Hyrule Warriors is going to be inoffensively mediocre, but being a Zelda fan, I think I'm going to love it to death. While Nintendo's always relied on its core franchises, it's never been one to over-saturate the market with them a la COD or Assassin's Creed.

#29 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Nintendo does oversaturate, with Mario.

#30 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Nintendo does oversaturate, with Mario.

Yes, but they've always done a good job of not doing it with Zelda. Then again, Nintendo's in the shitter, so pretty much anything is fair game at this point.

#31 Posted by Megavideogamer (6357 posts) -

E3 2014 is coming just over in 2 months. So Nintendo has a chance to show new games that are coming in 2015 and 2016. Hopefully they do have plans for a Wii U Metroid, Wii U Star Fox and Wii U F-Zero. Plus show a actual new Wii U Legend of Zelda game. The re-release of 2003 Gamecube Legend of Zelda Windwaker and Hyrule Warriors do not count.

Third party support for Wii U in 2015 seems very little. next to no games third party wise? Maybe E3 2014 will show some games from third parties. Nintendo just cannot support a console by themselves.

I hope that Nintendo is working on the Wii U successor now. The big N should soldier on with the Wii U. November 18 2017 the 7th Nintendo Home console should launch exactly 5 yrs since the Wii U. Hopefully Nintendo will have learned from the mistakes of the Wii U and have a proper console with up to date tech.

#32 Edited by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

You might want to adjust what you said. Nintendo isn't fully in the shitter. Wii U yes. 3DS is still the most dominate system in the world these days. But also all 3 are junk right now. Greedysoft, Pretendo and Phony are all crap currently.

#33 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

You might want to adjust what you said. Nintendo isn't fully in the shitter. Wii U yes. 3DS is still the most dominate system in the world these days. But also all 3 are junk right now. Greedysoft, Pretendo and Phony are all crap currently.

I'm one of the few that's actually quite happy with my Wii U. For my gaming habits and schedule, I spent plenty of time with my new console. As far as Nintendo being in the shitter, they haven't made money in three years, and they have very unhappy investors. 3DS is rocking it, but even that isn't enough for Nintendo to make money. I love them and don't say these things with the intention of pissing people off or -- as people on here call it -- "trolling." I'm simply saying they're not doing well at the moment. The slang for that would be "in the shitter."

But this is also when Nintendo tends to be at their best. Whenever they're on top, they have a tendency to coast. When things start spiraling downward is when they make their grand comeback with an assload of amazing new games. So, I'm very excited about what's going to happen this year.

#34 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

I can see your point, but I don't believe Nintendo can save the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, as a console I love my Wii U. I use it every day. My issue is with Nintendo themselves not the console.

#35 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

I can see your point, but I don't believe Nintendo can save the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, as a console I love my Wii U. I use it every day. My issue is with Nintendo themselves not the console.

As far as sales and the like, no, it won't be saved. But for people who love Nintendo games, this is a good thing. As I pointed out earlier, Nintendo's always been prone to severe coasting when it's on top, so whenever they're doing poorly, we get a much better selection of titles. With the Wii U performing as badly as it is, I think Nintendo's going to be forced to really step up its game. We can only stand to benefit.

#36 Posted by deactivated-57d8401f17c55 (7221 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

As far as sales and the like, no, it won't be saved. But for people who love Nintendo games, this is a good thing. As I pointed out earlier, Nintendo's always been prone to severe coasting when it's on top, so whenever they're doing poorly, we get a much better selection of titles. With the Wii U performing as badly as it is, I think Nintendo's going to be forced to really step up its game. We can only stand to benefit.

Yeah, they'll want to satisfy the loyal fanbase more when they don't have millions and millions of impulse buyers letting them get away with more.

Hopefully they bring the heat at e3, they need to

#37 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Chozofication: Between 2007-2008, after the Wii really took off, Nintendo hardly did anything after Mario Galaxy 1. But when sales started tapering off and people started complaining we got an e3 with Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, a reimagining of Goldeneye, and a few others. Of course, not all of those turned out to be great titles, but people were certainly excited.

#38 Posted by MirkoS77 (12669 posts) -

LOL at those thinking Zelda will be hitting this year. It hasn't even been shown yet. I'd say late '15 at the very earliest and if we're very lucky.

#39 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: That logic worked for the Gamecube since Nintendo didn't make a crap ton of money prior to it. But with the amount of money the DS and Wii made Nintendo they wont repeat the Gamecube in the games area. Money has gone to Iwata's head and corrupted him. Nintendo needs to go back to listening to their fans, and pick one group. Casuals, or the core (not hardcorez) you cant have both.

#40 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -
@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: That logic worked for the Gamecube since Nintendo didn't make a crap ton of money prior to it. But with the amount of money the DS and Wii made Nintendo they wont repeat the Gamecube in the games area. Money has gone to Iwata's head and corrupted him. Nintendo needs to go back to listening to their fans, and pick one group. Casuals, or the core (not hardcorez) you cant have both.

Hmmm, that's an interesting take. I'm not sure it's quite that awful, what I think has happened is Nintendo has always been great at showing us new ways to play video games that we were awestruck just by witnessing them in action. Nintendo essentially invented video games and then continued to reinvent them. There was always that level of arrogance, and I believe it was Miyamoto who said a long time ago something along the lines of, "Gamers don't actually know what they want until we tell them."

And for a long time, that was actually correct. There were always ways to reinvent video games in ways that were revolutionary, and while that certainly still exists, the possibilities in that area are narrowing, and Nintendo can no longer sustain success by refusing to listen to what people want. Nintendo's always had a history of abandoning franchises people were asking for, but when they showed off a revolutionary new Zelda title or something like Mario Galaxy, we were able to forget about it for awhile.

But games are slowly creeping toward the repetition of film. There's certainly new films out there, but almost everything is now a reimagining of something else. Nothing new exists anymore, it's merely a different take on another idea.

Nintendo can't rely on the childlike wonder anymore, they have to evolve in different ways, one that actually involves listening to their audience and not being so stubborn about admitting that other companies have done some unique things for the gaming industry and adopting those ideas into their hardware design. For the record, I am absolutely not talking about achievement points and party chat. Those features can eff right off.

#41 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Hey now, Party Chat is needed on Wii U. Smash Bros, MK8 and X and such would all benefit from it.

#42 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -
@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Hey now, Party Chat is needed on Wii U. Smash Bros, MK8 and X and such would all benefit from it.

Let me ask you, though -- Do you really want to have to mute 14 screaming 8 year olds every time you boot up Mario Kart 8? Of course, party chat eliminates that, but with party chat inevitably comes group chat, which is awful. And I love Nintendo, but you know if they introduced chat it would be wrought with a lack of features, meaning there wouldn't be a way to auto-mute everyone all the time.

I'd much rather put my buddy on speaker phone or, dare I say it, just have them over to my home. Nintendo's shown they have no interest in paying attention to what other companies are doing, and I'm very fearful of what these features gamers are asking for would actually look like made by Nintendo, without the influence of any other online infrastructure as a template.

#43 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Just make Party Chat for people on your friends list. No random's can join. Hell improve Wii U chat so it can run in the background while gaming with friends. (not the video part) but so you could at least talk.

#44 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Just make Party Chat for people on your friends list. No random's can join. Hell improve Wii U chat so it can run in the background while gaming with friends. (not the video part) but so you could at least talk.

That's the ideal situation, but until Nintendo hires some online people who have some experience doing this in other parts of the industry, I want them staying as far away from evolving their online ecosystem as humanly possible. Their biggest priority needs to be making sure their system doesn't crash when it's overwhelmed with an influx of new players.

#45 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: It doesn't crash with new players. And the Nintendo Network was made by Nintendo and EA. It is a good online system hence why EA wanted it and Nintendo said no and made EA mad and that's why EA ignores Nintendo now.

#46 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -
@Master_Of_Fools said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: It doesn't crash with new players. And the Nintendo Network was made by Nintendo and EA. It is a good online system hence why EA wanted it and Nintendo said no and made EA mad and that's why EA ignores Nintendo now.

Again, I like Nintendo just fine, and I don't have any problems with its online service. I like it for what it is. But it also crashed in a horrible way on Christmas, and Nintendo couldn't figure out a way to get it back up for days, leaving many people who bought consoles unable to play their games, as many of the Wii U consoles come with digital downloads -- Wind Waker HD bundle -- instead of physical copies. While I'm not the type to get terribly upset about having to wait a few days for things, it's still a bummer that such a large group of people were unable to use their console in its intended form for more than a day -- not everyone's as understanding as I am.

#47 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1651 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO:

Oh I thought just the E-Shop went down at Christmas?

#48 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (3151 posts) -

@Master_Of_Fools: Eshop was down until like the 27th, and all of Nintendo Network was down on Christmas and I believe the day after. Either way, online is Nintendo's Achilles heel, and while they're working to strengthen it, it's still not the kind of thing a 2014 console should have. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how much I enjoy my Wii U, and have no personal problems with the online portion of it. I just understand why so many people aren't pleased with it.