metroid other m. am i alone in this?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pc-ps360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pc-ps360
Member since 2010 • 3462 Posts

imo metroid other m is th best metroid game out there. i liked super metroid but the prime series not so much. even tho the prime series are solid title but i find it boring. u can easily get lost and waste hours trying to figure out what to do or where to go next. also i think 3rd person view is better for the metroid games.

i find so much hate from gamers for this game. does any1 here likes it.

other m has amazing graphics, great gameplay and pacing, outstanding combat and boss battle. the only complain i hav is the super long cut scenes. even the controls they grow on u, team ninja did an amazing job on the controls, once u get used to them they are amazing

etmaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By etmaul
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

I enjoyed it too, it was definitely done Team Ninja's way which I appreciated to a certain extent. Look, I was skeptical about the Prime games because first person was just unthinkable, especially since my favorite console game of all time is Super Metroid. However, after immersing myself in the first Prime game, I was just amazed at what Retro did that totally revitalized the already successful series. I'll admit that Other M is by no means a bad game, IMHO I don't think there is a bad Metroid game out there, it was just done in a more stylized approach like Ninja Gaiden. Then again, it was nice to "see" Samus again in the 3rd person perspective so I applaud Team Ninja for going that route. In the end though, most folks cried foul, but I gave it a chance, liked it for what it was, completed it and moved on.

Thus, I would like to see Retro do a Metroid for the Wii U, but that may be wishful thinking upon my part. The tablet would be perfect for a Prime like Metroid game so all I can do is cross my fingers.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4210 Posts

Here's hoping for a metroid 3DS.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

i loved it...

the complaints were dumb imo..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

I don't have anything against the graphics or controls. They are, in fact, great. Maybe a little simple, since when you learn the controls, mainly how to dogde, you're pretty much invincible. The story was really awful, though, and the anime style cutscenes made it even worse. There was very little exploration compared to other Metroid titles, and the music (another thing I love about the Metriod series) was pretty much non existant. I wasn't really a big fan of how everything takes place on a space station either. When you completed the game, you were also greeted with the worst hard-mode ever.

Other M was far from what I want in a Metroid game, and is probably my least favourite game in the series. I just didn't feel the Metroid magic with this one.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Haven't played Other M yet. Super Metroid and Fusion are awesome, Prime is pretty good.

pierst179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 258

#7 pierst179
Member since 2006 • 10805 Posts

The gameplay wasn't as good as that of other Metroid games, but I liked it overall. I did not mind Samus' character, except for the lame "need to ask for permission" thing.

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#8 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

No the thing that everyone hated was Samus, who was viewed by the gaming community as a bad ass, non oversexualized heroine was turned into a whiny crybaby with daddy issues who suddenly can't use her weapons until some guy tells her to do so and also suddenly has a mental freakout over Ridley, who, at this point in the Metroid timeline she has fought multiple times. Not to mention the developers seemed to have a fetish for showing off her butt in her skin tight Zero Suit every chance they got. Then again this is Team Ninja, the studio whose great contribution to gaming was making boobies jiggle.

And thanks to this game's poor sales and reception, it will probably be a while before we see another Metroid.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@kbaily: Samus became sexualized the moment they introduced Zero Suit.

ANIMEguy10034

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By ANIMEguy10034
Member since 2008 • 4955 Posts
@Pierst179 said:

except for the lame "need to ask for permission" thing.

This is my only complaint. I like the game but this really ruined it for me, especially after many deaths in the lava sector.

mrfokken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mrfokken
Member since 2009 • 642 Posts

I liked it. I also think people take the weapon permission thing way to seriously. Why that is more annoying than loosing all weapons at the beginning and having to find them back (how many times have we had to do this?) is beyond me.

My beef against the game was about having to look in a specific spot to trigger the next cut scene and continue. The Ridley battle was epic though.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts

it's a pretty good game. best metroid though? no.

@ANIMEguy10034 said:
@Pierst179 said:

except for the lame "need to ask for permission" thing.

This is my only complaint. I like the game but this really ruined it for me, especially after many deaths in the lava sector.

they had to make the story suffer for the sake of the gameplay, and really, that's the only instance where it's kind of stupid.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts
@Pierst179 said:

The gameplay wasn't as good as that of other Metroid games, but I liked it overall. I did not mind Samus' character, except for the lame "need to ask for permission" thing.

Yup..such a glaring fault...Sakamoto needs to pass it on to someone else...he'd done & dusted. :P

darkmark91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkmark91
Member since 2006 • 3047 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@kbaily: Samus became sexualized the moment they introduced Zero Suit.

False, she has been sexualized since her very first game!

I thought everything about Other M was great. It wasn't the best game or anything like that, but a da,n good fun game none the less. And everyone who is complaining about the story is a bunch of cry babies them selves. At least we finally got some sort of cinematic story rather than blocks of words...

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

@kbaily said:

No the thing that everyone hated was Samus, who was viewed by the gaming community as a bad ass, non oversexualized heroine was turned into a whiny crybaby with daddy issues who suddenly can't use her weapons until some guy tells her to do so and also suddenly has a mental freakout over Ridley, who, at this point in the Metroid timeline she has fought multiple times. Not to mention the developers seemed to have a fetish for showing off her butt in her skin tight Zero Suit every chance they got. Then again this is Team Ninja, the studio whose great contribution to gaming was making boobies jiggle.

I think that reaction is slightly problematic in itself - people seem to think that Samus is only a strong character when she's acting like a male action hero (ie. an emotionless killing machine), as opposed to acting like a human being (caring about her father figure, getting a bit of PTSD at the sight of the monster that killed her parents, etc.). Crying and whining don't preclude someone from being a strong female character - just look at The Longest Journey to see what I mean. And hell, I still think Samus' best story arc was the whole 'her mothering the baby Metroid who then sacrifices itself for her' stuff from Metroid 2 and 3.

Team Ninja only really stuffed up their timing there - Samus' reaction would make a hell of a lot more sense earlier in the series, as opposed to a couple of Ridley fights into it.

As for the "following Malkovich's orders" and "withholding upgrades" stuff...that was all set up in Metroid Fusion. It's canon, and it isn't the first time the series has done that. I don't get why people complain about it, but still think of Metroid Fusion as a great game.

...and yeah, the series has never held back from keeping Samus in her underwear under that suit. Team Ninja may have gone overboard - I honestly don't remember - but this certainly isn't the first time they've sexualised Samus.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

It wasn't an awful game, but it could've been a lot better. The gameplay was fine, it looked great, but my main complaints are:

1) The story. It was just really meh to me. Granted, the Prime triology's story wasn't prize-worthy either, but story wasn't a major point of Prime.

@Planeforger said:

@kbaily said:

I think that reaction is slightly problematic in itself - people seem to think that Samus is only a strong character when she's acting like a male action hero (ie. an emotionless killing machine), as opposed to acting like a human being (caring about her father figure, getting a bit of PTSD at the sight of the monster that killed her parents, etc.). Crying and whining don't preclude someone from being a strong female character - just look at The Longest Journey to see what I mean. And hell, I still think Samus' best story arc was the whole 'her mothering the baby Metroid who then sacrifices itself for her' stuff from Metroid 2 and 3.

About this, you're partly right, Samus doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be an emotionless, macho killing machine to be cool. The problem with Other M is that they then go to the other extreme. Something in the middle would've been far better.

2) The first person segments. These were rather poorly done. Shooting missiles often made you take unwanted damage (and I like my Super Missiles). I had to spend a good 15 minutes looking around the area to find whatever thing the game wanted me to stare at during those times.

3) The whole, you can't use certain items until Andy says so thing. Maybe there's some canon reasoning for it (I've only played the Prime triology and Other M), but I personally don't get why Samus, who's saved the galaxy several times single-handedly and will continue to do so, has to take orders from him. Andy, I could solve all the problems on the space station way faster/better if you let me use my shit.

4) The inability to scan stuff. Ok, this probably doesn't apply to most of you, but I sorta liked the fact that you could scan everything in the environment and read a little thing about it in prime.

5) I also very much prefer the slightly creepy, "hey you're all alone on a hostile planet" feel Prime 1 and 2 had (3 only had that in a few parts).

So, yeah. keep in mind this is my opinion. Don't jump down my throat about it. But conversation is welcomed.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

It's garbage. The game fell from $50 to less than $10 because it was so shit. Yes games drop in price, but esp. Nintendo games, even any game, that far, that fast?

On a side note any game that had you game with the wii mote sideways was automatically awful.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I hated it. I didn't like the world, the enemies, how you got energy/missles back, or the god-awful story. There's a perfectly good reason why it goes for about $15 and Corruption still sells for $30.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@YearoftheSnake5 said:

I hated it. I didn't like the world, the enemies, how you got energy/missles back, or the god-awful story. There's a perfectly good reason why it goes for about $15 and Corruption still sells for $30.

I got mine for 8.99 on newegg soon after it came out, I couldn't believe it was that low. ...Until I played it lol.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Sans the nonsensical cut scenes Other M was a fun game. The environment, atmosphere, music, etc.., offered a great play. Perhaps it wasn't worth $49.99 but the reduced price of $7.00 was well worth the purchase.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

I personally loved it. Great action, awesome boss battles and decent pacing. Everything about the story and presentation bothers me though. I always agreed that Samus' needed a voice but that representation was awful.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Metroid Prime 1-3 are my favorite. But I really enjoyed Other M unlike most people. Though I hated the old side scrolling style Metroid games. Prime Style is what it should always be.

gopre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By gopre
Member since 2003 • 210 Posts

I just purchased the game and am looking forward to playing it today. I don't have high expectations for it. Just looking forward to having fun and getting back into Metroid universe so to speak I've always enjoyed.