Superbustacap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 Superbustacap
Member since 2004 • 10663 Posts
In 2003 the Kansas City Chiefs drafted Larry Johnson 27th overall.  I have wondered ever since that day, why was he drafted so late?  He was amazing in college and is a big running back, and I thought he would be a superstar and he looks very promising right now.  
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

Easy question.........he went to Penn State.

Avatar image for sfgiantsfan8291
sfgiantsfan8291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 sfgiantsfan8291
Member since 2005 • 12011 Posts

Espurs117

lol so true.
A-bear07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 A-bear07
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Larry Johnson was my draft pick in the first round of my fantasy draft, I think he is gonna be really good this year.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

Espurs117
And Auburn dominated him in the Music City Bowl.
bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#6 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts

Larry Johnson was my draft pick in the first round of my fantasy draft, I think he is gonna be really good this year.

A-bear07

We're talking about the NFL draft.
bobwjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bobwjr
Member since 2002 • 967 Posts
He was actually the second running back picked.....................to add insult to injury, the back picked ahead of him had a "broken leg". That would be Willis McGahee.
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
That's a really good question.  In hindsight, he probably should have been one of the first guys picked.  But think about it, he could have slipped even further down, as the Chiefs certainly didn't need him at the time.
Avatar image for thetombradyhate
thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 thetombradyhate
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
He was actually the second running back picked.....................to add insult to injury, the back picked ahead of him had a "broken leg". That would be Willis McGahee. bobwjr
Willis McGahee is good, if Willis McGahee was running behind the Chiefs line last yera he could have racked up close to what Larry Johnson racked up, and if Larry Johnson was running behind the Bills line we wouldn't have ever had the 2,000 yard conversation
oscarx21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 oscarx21
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
[QUOTE="bobwjr"]He was actually the second running back picked.....................to add insult to injury, the back picked ahead of him had a "broken leg". That would be Willis McGahee. thetombradyhate
Willis McGahee is good, if Willis McGahee was running behind the Chiefs line last yera he could have racked up close to what Larry Johnson racked up, and if Larry Johnson was running behind the Bills line we wouldn't have ever had the 2,000 yard conversation

Thast actually true, Willis is a solid back playing for a bad team.
Avatar image for thetombradyhate
thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 thetombradyhate
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
[QUOTE="thetombradyhate"][QUOTE="bobwjr"]He was actually the second running back picked.....................to add insult to injury, the back picked ahead of him had a "broken leg". That would be Willis McGahee. oscarx21

Thast actually true, Willis is a solid back playing for a bad team.

isn't evrything I say :D
Superbustacap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Superbustacap
[QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"]

Espurs117

lol so true.

What moron believes in that?  It's not like he's Curtis Enis.
oscarx21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 oscarx21
Member since 2003 • 748 Posts
[QUOTE="thetombradyhate"] isn't evrything I say :D

Of course not, I was really lazy to read it all and give it a good opinion, well I am not that lazy right now so... I am honest, I didnt watched that draft but I read a lot about it before and after, Willis was considered back then one of the best backs in years and while that being a little bit too much, I think in the right team (say any team witch decent O Line and a half decent air game) he would have been easily a top 5 back (if not better) sure he was injured back then but that only took him some positions from the top (23 overall, could have been at least top 15 IMO), I am not saying he was better than LJ back then or today, you just really cant compare them as situations are different and well in college they played for diferent teams different scenarios. Now Willis is a top 15 back, LJ is top 3 at least, I guess LJ landed in a gold situation even if he didnt get that much playing time his first 2 seasons, he landed in a team commited to the offense and specially the rushing game that even though now they lost arguably the best blocking FB and one of the best lineman in the league, they are still one of the most solids O lines and are able to open holes, combined with his natural ability he is heading for big things. On the other side, Willis landed on a team that seems to be permanently in the rebuilding process and with virtually no passing game, with that deffenses always focus on stopping him, add the fact of past injuries and you have a great athletes stucked on a bad team (no offenses to Bills fans) that cant give him the chances he wants. Like you said, LJ behings Bills O line would not have been able to put those monster numbers he put last season and the numbers everyone is talking about now, would he be good there? yeah of course, the guy has natural talent and he is a profesional but so is Willis, you just know no one can do it all by themselves, specially at RB where you deppend a lot of what your oline can do to help you. So for me, past the top 15, the money is not that much of a factor come draft time so I think its all about landing in the right place. I think thats better than my previous post :P
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Espurs117
[QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Superbustacap

lol so true.

What moron believes in that?  It's not like he's Curtis Enis.

Honestly thats why he fell, dude i watched all of the NFL Draft and even before it they were scared of that. Remember Cedric Benson?....oh no he looks like Ricky Williams with that hair and he went to texas too!....he had to cut off his hair just to get drafted highly. Sounds stupid but thats the NFL scouts for you.

Superbustacap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Superbustacap
[QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Espurs117

lol so true.

What moron believes in that? It's not like he's Curtis Enis.

Honestly thats why he fell, dude i watched all of the NFL Draft and even before it they were scared of that. Remember Cedric Benson?....oh no he looks like Ricky Williams with that hair and he went to texas too!....he had to cut off his hair just to get drafted highly. Sounds stupid but thats the NFL scouts for you.

But Benson didn't fall anyway.  Even though they're racist bastards...
muffdiver1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 muffdiver1982
Member since 2006 • 408 Posts

[QUOTE="thetombradyhate"] isn't evrything I say :Doscarx21
Of course not, I was really lazy to read it all and give it a good opinion, well I am not that lazy right now so... I am honest, I didnt watched that draft but I read a lot about it before and after, Willis was considered back then one of the best backs in years and while that being a little bit too much, I think in the right team (say any team witch decent O Line and a half decent air game) he would have been easily a top 5 back (if not better) sure he was injured back then but that only took him some positions from the top (23 overall, could have been at least top 15 IMO), I am not saying he was better than LJ back then or today, you just really cant compare them as situations are different and well in college they played for diferent teams different scenarios. Now Willis is a top 15 back, LJ is top 3 at least, I guess LJ landed in a gold situation even if he didnt get that much playing time his first 2 seasons, he landed in a team commited to the offense and specially the rushing game that even though now they lost arguably the best blocking FB and one of the best lineman in the league, they are still one of the most solids O lines and are able to open holes, combined with his natural ability he is heading for big things. On the other side, Willis landed on a team that seems to be permanently in the rebuilding process and with virtually no passing game, with that deffenses always focus on stopping him, add the fact of past injuries and you have a great athletes stucked on a bad team (no offenses to Bills fans) that cant give him the chances he wants. Like you said, LJ behings Bills O line would not have been able to put those monster numbers he put last season and the numbers everyone is talking about now, would he be good there? yeah of course, the guy has natural talent and he is a profesional but so is Willis, you just know no one can do it all by themselves, specially at RB where you deppend a lot of what your oline can do to help you. So for me, past the top 15, the money is not that much of a factor come draft time so I think its all about landing in the right place. I think thats better than my previous post :P

My rebuttal to this:  What about Barry Sanders?  He had no O.Line and did everything by himself.  A couple of years they had a dangerous passing attack, but all of his runs started on one side of the field and ended on the other.  Willis McGahee is a better back than L.J..  I don't know how many people watched that game when he tore just about every ligament in his knee, but that was a vicious and dirty hit.  He's lucky to even be able to play today, that injury would have ended most peoples careers.  He didn't break his leg either.  He would have been better off had he though, he would have been able to play his rookie season then.  He's faster than L.J., he doesn't give props to Jay-Z everytime he scores, he's a good receiving and blocking running back.

Also, Curtis Enis isn't the only bad back to come out of PSU in the 1st round, you forgot about Ki-Jana Carter.  Only news I heard about him is how he tore up his knee real early in his rookie campaign and then nothing.  If you want a great back, the two best Universities are Auburn and Miami.  Miami has Frank Gore, Willis McGahee, Edgerin James, and Clinton Portis right now.  Auburn has Fred Beasley, Cadillac Williams, and Ronnie Brown.  Let's not forget that Auburn also produced Bo Jackson.   We'll see exactly how good L.J. is this year.  With an aging, falling apart OL with an aging offense in general, we'll see if he is for real, or a dud like Lamont Jordan (I hope I'm thinking of the right player, it's late and I think I got him confused with someone else) when he left the Jets for the Raiders last year.  L.J. is no Edge, no Shawn Alexander, and no LT.  If he was that good, he would have replaced Priest Holmes at the beginning of last year.  New defensive oriented head coach, new OT's, aging offense, means you'll see a different L.J. this year, a whole lot less productive L.J..  Picking him number 1 in a fantasy draft would be fantasy suicide with all the negative intangibles.  He's solid, but he doesn't reach stud until he repeats such a performance. 

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Espurs117
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Superbustacap

lol so true.

cuz he shaved his head, and went public saying his nothing like Ricky.

muffdiver1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 muffdiver1982
[QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Espurs117

lol so true.

Most of this doesn't seem to make any sense.  Penn State running backs have a history of turning into busts, just like Florida receivers.  That's all true.  Cedric Benson shaved his head because he was sick of the comparisons with Ricky.  Shaving his head had nothing to do with his draft status.  He was projected in the top 5 regardless.  It just came down to what the order would be between Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, and Cedric Benson.  Most of the contraversy was about his character, and how he said that he'd rather win the Heisman than win a National Championship.  That showed him as selfish and putting himself before the team.  Teams put character over ability now a days.  You'd think the NFL was running an election or popularity contest rather than a professional sports league.  Character's important, but when you have a guy as talented as T.O., for instance, and his character issues could land him out of job, it is completely insane.   Just like how Adrian McPherson dropped into the 5th round last year, He's going to be a stud.  Let's not forget about Marcus Vick going undrafted this year.  He could very well become a player if he studies hard and some team keeps him as a slash QB.  I think he's better than Kordell Stewart, it's not much of a comparison, but Stewart was a 2nd round pick.

Who's a racist bastard?  I thought the NFL majority is African-American

bgres077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#19 bgres077
Member since 2005 • 12694 Posts
[QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

muffdiver1982

lol so true.

But Benson didn't fall anyway. Even though they're racist bastards...

Most of this doesn't seem to make any sense. Penn State running backs have a history of turning into busts, just like Florida receivers. That's all true. Cedric Benson shaved his head because he was sick of the comparisons with Ricky. Shaving his head had nothing to do with his draft status. He was projected in the top 5 regardless. It just came down to what the order would be between Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, and Cedric Benson. Most of the contraversy was about his character, and how he said that he'd rather win the Heisman than win a National Championship. That showed him as selfish and putting himself before the team. Teams put character over ability now a days. You'd think the NFL was running an election or popularity contest rather than a professional sports league. Character's important, but when you have a guy as talented as T.O., for instance, and his character issues could land him out of job, it is completely insane. Just like how Adrian McPherson dropped into the 5th round last year, He's going to be a stud. Let's not forget about Marcus Vick going undrafted this year. He could very well become a player if he studies hard and some team keeps him as a slash QB. I think he's better than Kordell Stewart, it's not much of a comparison, but Stewart was a 2nd round pick.

Who's a racist bastard? I thought the NFL majority is African-American

Completely wrong.  When he has his dreads the scouts were comparing him to Ricky Williams and they thought he would turn out like Williams did.  That ultimately was affecting his draft status.  When he did shave his head the comparisons immediately stopped and his stock began to rise.
muffdiver1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 muffdiver1982
[QUOTE="muffdiver1982"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

bgres077

lol so true.

Most of this doesn't seem to make any sense. Penn State running backs have a history of turning into busts, just like Florida receivers. That's all true. Cedric Benson shaved his head because he was sick of the comparisons with Ricky. Shaving his head had nothing to do with his draft status. He was projected in the top 5 regardless. It just came down to what the order would be between Cadillac, Ronnie Brown, and Cedric Benson. Most of the contraversy was about his character, and how he said that he'd rather win the Heisman than win a National Championship. That showed him as selfish and putting himself before the team. Teams put character over ability now a days. You'd think the NFL was running an election or popularity contest rather than a professional sports league. Character's important, but when you have a guy as talented as T.O., for instance, and his character issues could land him out of job, it is completely insane. Just like how Adrian McPherson dropped into the 5th round last year, He's going to be a stud. Let's not forget about Marcus Vick going undrafted this year. He could very well become a player if he studies hard and some team keeps him as a slash QB. I think he's better than Kordell Stewart, it's not much of a comparison, but Stewart was a 2nd round pick.

Completely wrong.  When he has his dreads the scouts were comparing him to Ricky Williams and they thought he would turn out like Williams did.  That ultimately was affecting his draft status.  When he did shave his head the comparisons immediately stopped and his stock began to rise.

Were you in a draft war room??? It's foolhardy to think that a hair cut would change your draft status or anytime someone draws comparisons to a "problem child" they would be seeing the guys from "Queer-Eye" for a makeover.  Come on!  The argument is weak, and defies any business or human logic.  The Bears' drafted him at their slot because: a.)Thomas Jones was considered a relative bust until having a 1,300 yard rushing season last year, and didn't know how he would pan out; and b.) They needed someone to gain that short yardage for them.  If the NFL was like that, then every player coming out of the ghetto to be drafted would be said to have a drug addiction or be a problem child.  Instead of how they strove to overcome adversity and make it to the NFL draft.  The only way you could touch the NFL's first round then would be to come from a middle class to NFL pedigree type family.  Sportswriters write things about players and make these stories so people think a player will slip.  You should know that the NFL draft is  the biggest illusion show on Earth.  GM's don't give up there game plan and link bad information to the media so they can gain leverage in trying to acquire certain players.  The only thing shaving his head did, was make him more aerodynamic.

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Espurs117
[QUOTE="bgres077"] [QUOTE="muffdiver1982"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

muffdiver1982

lol so true.

Were you in a draft war room??? It's foolhardy to think that a hair cut would change your draft status or anytime someone draws comparisons to a "problem child" they would be seeing the guys from "Queer-Eye" for a makeover.  Come on!  The argument is weak, and defies any business or human logic.  The Bears' drafted him at their slot because: a.)Thomas Jones was considered a relative bust until having a 1,300 yard rushing season last year, and didn't know how he would pan out; and b.) They needed someone to gain that short yardage for them.  If the NFL was like that, then every player coming out of the ghetto to be drafted would be said to have a drug addiction or be a problem child.  Instead of how they strove to overcome adversity and make it to the NFL draft.  The only way you could touch the NFL's first round then would be to come from a middle class to NFL pedigree type family.  Sportswriters write things about players and make these stories so people think a player will slip.  You should know that the NFL draft is  the biggest illusion show on Earth.  GM's don't give up there game plan and link bad information to the media so they can gain leverage in trying to acquire certain players.  The only thing shaving his head did, was make him more aerodynamic.

Well you must have not seen the predraft shows. All the talk was about him being like Ricky. This is true, its stupid but its true. Come draft day you dont wanna take any chances on sliding down and loosing millions, so he shaved it. The NFL scouts are dumb but they dont wanna take chances after all the team  is gonna pay them millions of dollars, and their jobs are on the line.

muffdiver1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 muffdiver1982
[QUOTE="muffdiver1982"][QUOTE="bgres077"] [QUOTE="muffdiver1982"][QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"][QUOTE="Superbustacap"] [QUOTE="sfgiantsfan8291"] [QUOTE="Espurs117"]

Espurs117

lol so true.

Well you must have not seen the predraft shows. All the talk was about him being like Ricky. This is true, its stupid but its true. Come draft day you dont wanna take any chances on sliding down and loosing millions, so he shaved it. The NFL scouts are dumb but they dont wanna take chances after all the team  is gonna pay them millions of dollars, and their jobs are on the line.

I watch everything.  I haven't missed a draft in quite sometime.  Scouts get paid to evaluate talent, and they get paid well.  Drafting someone based on similarities is dumb, and scouts evaluate talent and then GM's, coaches and owners decide who they are going to take.  The hair cutting was a publicity stunt, and NFL teams use these type of negative attributes in order to gain leverage in the draft and when signing a player.  The only thing in question was his me-first attitude which he showed when he said he wanted the Heisman more than a National Championship.  If you believed the sports writers than Aaron Rodgers would have been the first pick up until a couple days before the draft.  Every year scouts say something negative about all the top athletes in a draft, and every year they get picked that high regardless.  The only thing is some people shift a couple slots, or fall off completely because their position is no longer a priority at that time.  Don't believe he fell because of the similarities to Ricky.  If Ricky hadn't popped for pot then retired out of blue, they would have found another problem with Cedric Benson.  Something stupid like he doesn't square his shoulders properly, or he doesn't catch the ball well out of the backfield.  Just like they always bash a quarterbacks mechanics.  That's like believing tht Tennessee was going to draft Leinart because every reporter said that it was his destiny with Norm Chow as the offensive coordinator.  It's pure speculation.  The draft is a huge magic show and the time of year that all organizations start lying like crazy.  Benson bought into it.  Hair doesn't change a persons personality.  When it comes to a few million dollars versus winning a couple of games, hair is the least of the worries.  Those teams had their mind made up long before the draft about Benson, and the Bears would have drafted him regardless, whether or not he shaved his head or not.  Let's not forget that Ricky's problem deals with injuries and pot use.  He was a pretty good back otherwise, I mean he does have a rushing title!  The hair argument is upsurd.  Honestly, big business here.  Winning is the ultimate goal.  Reflect on past drafts and moves that mad little sense and past news and you will see that there is truth in what I say.  Benson would have had to have a prior arrest in order to lose draft stock or disciplinary problems in college.  He had none to my recollection.   

L.J. fell in that draft, because RB wasn't a main priority and/or it was over shadowed by the talent or needs of other players.  L.J. also didn't have the same type of coverage as Curtis Enis or Ki-Jana Carter, so he wasn't as big of a name.