Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Toucanbird
Member since 2004 • 6440 Posts

Now this is the kind of thing that should never, ever, happen in a school! Ridiculous! No wonder high school teachers are such a joke!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5272442

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
What rhymes with "Tired"?  Cause he should be.  That's hazing.  More than that, it's a teacher hazing a student for his beliefs(even though they are just about football). 
Avatar image for deactivated-620fd4a5c395c
deactivated-620fd4a5c395c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 deactivated-620fd4a5c395c
Member since 2004 • 222 Posts
I read the same thing last night and was shocked that no action whatsoever had been taken, the teacher should at the very least be suspended without pay.
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 VanHalun040604
Member since 2004 • 6399 Posts

I don't see anything wrong.  I thought it was hilarious.  It was only a joke and the kid was obviously WAY too uptight......I get razzed at school when I wear Raiders stuff.  I just laugh or say, "Yeah, okay dude, whatever....."

Hey, he asked for it.  Wearing a Broncos jersey in PA on the eve of the AFC Championship??  He must be desperate for attention.....

VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VanHalun040604

I read the same thing last night and was shocked that no action whatsoever had been taken, the teacher should at the very least be suspended without pay.CANDT519

There are these things....called unions....that make forcibly removing a teacher near impossible.

TAO_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TAO_elite
Member since 2004 • 118 Posts

I don't see anything wrong. I thought it was hilarious. It was only a joke and the kid was obviously WAY too uptight......I get razzed at school when I wear Raiders stuff. I just laugh or say, "Yeah, okay dude, whatever....."

Hey, he asked for it. Wearing a Broncos jersey in PA on the eve of the AFC Championship?? He must be desperate for attention.....

VanHalun040604

I thought it was hilarious too, but it definately wasnt a joke.  People in western PA are absolutely fanatical football fans.  I garentee that you will be shot or pummeled if you bring a seahawks jersey to a PA school or Pittsburg.  If you havent lived in western PA or any other area like that, then you cant understand how crazy people can be about football (myself not included).
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VanHalun040604
[QUOTE="VanHalun040604"]

I don't see anything wrong. I thought it was hilarious. It was only a joke and the kid was obviously WAY too uptight......I get razzed at school when I wear Raiders stuff. I just laugh or say, "Yeah, okay dude, whatever....."

Hey, he asked for it. Wearing a Broncos jersey in PA on the eve of the AFC Championship?? He must be desperate for attention.....

TAO_elite

I thought it was hilarious too, but it definately wasnt a joke.  People in western PA are absolutely fanatical football fans.  I garentee that you will be shot or pummeled if you bring a seahawks jersey to a PA school or Pittsburg.  If you havent lived in western PA or any other area like that, then you cant understand how crazy people can be about football (myself not included).

My mother grew up in western PA.......I visit all the time....:|

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="VanHalun040604"]

TAO_elite

Or if they do bring a Seahawks jersey in, they put some tape on the back so it says Alexander Sucks! or something like that.

But for the issue. It is hazing. It may seem like a joke, but that is unfair treatment. I mean, if they kept that kid on the floor for a couple minutes doing something unimportant, than I think you could get away with it but when you make that kid take a MIDTERM EXAM ON THE FLOOR WHILE KIDS ARE THROWING PAPER AT HIM!? That's wrong! That's unfair treatment and the teacher for a MINIMUM should be suspended without pay.

It's discrimination with a sugar coated form.

However, I do agree with you to some extent. The kid was "asking for it" when he wore that jersey to school. But, if he is going to "ask for it", it better be coming from just the students and NOT THE TEACHERS! What kind of lesson is this teaching students? It's OKAY to harrass students because they like something different?

We had a student like this at my school. He was a 49ers fan and everybody else was a Packer fan but all we did was joke and say "the 49ers are going down" and "49ers suck." We never even contemplated hazing the kid. Of course, this was quite a few years ago but I see some major problems going on with hazing lately that really need to be fixed.

ARealChiefsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ARealChiefsFan
Member since 2005 • 1249 Posts
 man, sounds like what i do to my friends, i'm friends with a hardcore broncos fan and i still am making fun of him because i was bowling with him saturday and when he got a strike i kept saying that's what The Bus was going to do to the Denver D-line and he kept denying it would happen. He obviously doesn't know his own team, Steelers win the bowl
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VanHalun040604

man, sounds like what i do to my friends, i'm friends with a hardcore broncos fan and i still am making fun of him because i was bowling with him saturday and when he got a strike i kept saying that's what The Bus was going to do to the Denver D-line and he kept denying it would happen. He obviously doesn't know his own team, Steelers win the bowlARealChiefsFan

:lol:  And then I love when they try to throw in your face the fact that your team did nothing that year.....or they'll be like, "But....but Elway was.........was teh best EVAR!!!!1111  And TD was sooooo cooooollllll...."

Yeah, okay, we get that Elway and TD were both great.  But what else have you ever done?  Oh, that's right.....

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#11 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts

I herd about this on hte news. like wilbon on PTI said "beat down situation" If I was that kids father that teachers wouldn't see the light of day

Now this is the kind of thing that should never, ever, happen in a school! Ridiculous! No wonder high school teachers are such a joke!

Toucanbird

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Toucanbird

I herd about this on hte news. like wilbon on PTI said "beat down situation" If I was that kids father that teachers wouldn't see the light of day

[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

ocdog45

Yeah, I would like to hear more about the parent's prospective on this though. I want to see what they think about this so called "teacher."

VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VanHalun040604
[QUOTE="ocdog45"]

[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

Toucanbird

Yeah, I would like to hear more about the parent's prospective on this though. I want to see what they think about this so called "teacher."

I still don't understand why you guys continue to blow this way out of proportion.  It's a stupid little joke....and even if it's not, it's still funny.  No harm was done....why you would take something like this so seriously is beyond me..

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="Toucanbird"][QUOTE="ocdog45"]

[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

VanHalun040604

I still don't understand why you guys continue to blow this way out of proportion.  It's a stupid little joke....and even if it's not, it's still funny.  No harm was done....why you would take something like this so seriously is beyond me..

Well vanhalun, you obviously don't understand the ethics behind it. The thing is, it's unethical, it's hazing, and it's humiliating.

Normally, I wouldn't make a big deal about it but what it does is teaches students a bad influence. A classroom is meant for students to learn and interact in an educational way. In what way was this educational? It complete goes against democracy. That and it was during a mid-term exam.

How would you feel if you were forced to take a mid-term exam on the floor while students are throwing balls of paper at you from desks? Are you saying that you would prefer to do that?

Also, I hope you realize there are other ways to joke about that student than doing that? Sure, the kid had it coming wearing that jersey to school, but there are other ways of joking about it. It's like I said earlier. I've encountered situations like that at my school. A student wore a 49ers jersey to school on the day of a Packers-49ers game and we did was diss him all day and told him the 49ers were going to get their ass kicked. We never would have even contemplated hazing the kid.

VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VanHalun040604
[QUOTE="VanHalun040604"][QUOTE="Toucanbird"][QUOTE="ocdog45"]

[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

Toucanbird

Well vanhalun, you obviously don't understand the ethics behind it. The thing is, it's unethical, it's hazing, and it's humiliating.

Normally, I wouldn't make a big deal about it but what it does is teaches students a bad influence. A classroom is meant for students to learn and interact in an educational way. In what way was this educational? It complete goes against democracy. That and it was during a mid-term exam.

How would you feel if you were forced to take a mid-term exam on the floor while students are throwing balls of paper at you from desks? Are you saying that you would prefer to do that?

Also, I hope you realize there are other ways to joke about that student than doing that? Sure, the kid had it coming wearing that jersey to school, but there are other ways of joking about it. It's like I said earlier. I've encountered situations like that at my school. A student wore a 49ers jersey to school on the day of a Packers-49ers game and we did was diss him all day and told him the 49ers were going to get their ass kicked. We never would have even contemplated hazing the kid.

The fact is, that if he asked me (or told me) to do it all, it wouldn't have happened.  I don't do that.  You can tell me to do something all you want, but it's still my choice.  Teachers wield very little control over me.  They can tell me this and that, but I only do something because I think it's right, not them.  The kid's actions were voluntary.  He didn't have to sit on the floor.  He didn't have to allow the teacher to "haze" him.  The fact that he let it happen tells me that he didn't care very much.  And if he didn't care, then why is he complaining?  Teachers have given me crap about liking the Raiders at school, but I just laugh and blow it off.  If they ever said, or demanded, that I sit on the floor because of that, it wouldn't happen.  The kid had it coming if he was actually willing to let that happen....it shows a real lack of character when you fail to stand up for yourself.  Originally, the teacher probably thought, "Hey, maybe I'll try to make him sit on the floor...he'll probably blow me off, but it'll be funny."  He was so surprised by the fact that the student actually listened to him that it just snowballed from there.  It's understandable.  You would expect a response like, "Yeah, okay Mr. _________....I'll get right on that....in the middle of midterm....:roll:  OK..."  The kid's a loser.  He was begging for attention, he got it, and then had the audacity to complain about it.  I could wear one of my anti-Bush shirts to school, but I'd rather not get on the bad side of some of my teachers.  They, after all, control my overall fate.  It's in my best interest to NOT piss them off.  Some teachers (and people) are just like that.  Wearing a Broncos jersey in the heart of PA would not be in a students' best interests.  He was begging for attention.  And yeah, the teach might have taken it a bit too far.  But the student allowed the situation to happen.  He could have easily said, "You know what, you're giving us a midterm, and I'm gonna take it.....do you really think we could talk football another day????"  The teacher was wrong in a couple ways, but the student allowed himself to be walked all over....

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="Toucanbird"][QUOTE="VanHalun040604"][QUOTE="Toucanbird"][QUOTE="ocdog45"]

[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

VanHalun040604

The fact is, that if he asked me (or told me) to do it all, it wouldn't have happened.  I don't do that.  You can tell me to do something all you want, but it's still my choice.  Teachers wield very little control over me.  They can tell me this and that, but I only do something because I think it's right, not them.  The kid's actions were voluntary.  He didn't have to sit on the floor.  He didn't have to allow the teacher to "haze" him.  The fact that he let it happen tells me that he didn't care very much.  And if he didn't care, then why is he complaining?  Teachers have given me crap about liking the Raiders at school, but I just laugh and blow it off.  If they ever said, or demanded, that I sit on the floor because of that, it wouldn't happen.  The kid had it coming if he was actually willing to let that happen....it shows a real lack of character when you fail to stand up for yourself.  Originally, the teacher probably thought, "Hey, maybe I'll try to make him sit on the floor...he'll probably blow me off, but it'll be funny."  He was so surprised by the fact that the student actually listened to him that it just snowballed from there.  It's understandable.  You would expect a response like, "Yeah, okay Mr. _________....I'll get right on that....in the middle of midterm....:roll:  OK..."  The kid's a loser.  He was begging for attention, he got it, and then had the audacity to complain about it.  I could wear one of my anti-Bush shirts to school, but I'd rather not get on the bad side of some of my teachers.  They, after all, control my overall fate.  It's in my best interest to NOT piss them off.  Some teachers (and people) are just like that.  Wearing a Broncos jersey in the heart of PA would not be in a students' best interests.  He was begging for attention.  And yeah, the teach might have taken it a bit too far.  But the student allowed the situation to happen.  He could have easily said, "You know what, you're giving us a midterm, and I'm gonna take it.....do you really think we could talk football another day????"  The teacher was wrong in a couple ways, but the student allowed himself to be walked all over....

You do bring up a good point. I never thought of the kid even refusing to listen to his teacher. My only guess would be that the kid probably thought he should listen to his teachers every command. Some people do still have a tremendous amount of respect for teachers. He even said in the story that he was afraid of having this guy as a teacher in future classes. Something tells me that you're on to something though. The kid should have spoken up about it during class so that it and would avoid a huge media debacle...I wonder if he was shy or he was trying to set his teacher up...maybe the kid is more sinister than I anticipated...he could have kept quiet, take the humiliation, and then report it to get the teacher in trouble...Hmm, I wonder what really happened? It's hard to say. I guess it's just one of those things that you had to be there to know what really happened.

TAO_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TAO_elite
[QUOTE="TAO_elite"] [QUOTE="VanHalun040604"]

VanHalun040604

I thought it was hilarious too, but it definately wasnt a joke. People in western PA are absolutely fanatical football fans. I garentee that you will be shot or pummeled if you bring a seahawks jersey to a PA school or Pittsburg. If you havent lived in western PA or any other area like that, then you cant understand how crazy people can be about football (myself not included).

My mother grew up in western PA.......I visit all the time....:|

my bad.  I grew up in Johnstown, PA and I knew a lot of fanatics.
josh7485

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 josh7485
Member since 2003 • 1770 Posts
This is funny stuff. How did this kid have the balls to wear that jersey at that time, yet was to much of a pusy to stick up for himslef when given @3$% for it? He asked for it in my opinion.
TAO_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TAO_elite
This is funny stuff. How did this kid have the balls to wear that jersey at that time, yet was to much of a pusy to stick up for himslef when given @3$% for it? He asked for it in my opinion. josh7485

I'll have to agree with you on that one.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
I always root for anyone but the Steelers. If my teachers say anything, they're just kidding around. If a teacher told me to do that, there's no way I would.
Bron-Y-Aur455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bron-Y-Aur455
Member since 2004 • 1086 Posts
The class was some kind of ethnic intimidation class.  The kid had to sign a waiver to get in the class.  Because the teacher tries to show the students what it's like to be a minority.  So the kid was just being a baby.
TAO_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TAO_elite
all i can say to that is laugh and shake my head.
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VanHalun040604

all i can say to that is laugh and shake my head. TAO_elite

Look at the post above yours and you'll be pissed at the kid and not the teacher...

TAO_elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TAO_elite

[QUOTE="TAO_elite"]all i can say to that is laugh and shake my head. VanHalun040604

Look at the post above yours and you'll be pissed at the kid and not the teacher...

thats the one im laughing at.  Sometimes i question the stupidity of some people.