yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 yamabushi98
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts
In what is apparent to all, except die hard cheese-heads, the Packers season is clearly over. and keeping a fan favorite, but way past his prime QB, on the field for no purpose what-so-ever, just seems to be making less and less sense. Especially while a rookie QB languishes on the sidelines. At this point could Rodgers be any worse than Favre?   I dont think so.
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 VanHalun040604
Member since 2004 • 6399 Posts
I think he just needs a team change...It would be very characteristic of Al Davis and the Raiders organization to go after him if/when he leaves, is released, or traded.  It seems as though he would be the missing piece....but I don't know if he would want the opprotunity to play anywhere else but Green Bay. 
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Toucanbird
Member since 2004 • 6440 Posts

I don't understand how you could say something like that.

If you really look at things, Brett Favre is still a very good QB. You can't blame him for losing the game against Pittsburg when they had a chance to come back but a ball goes through Donald Drivers hands and it gets intercepted. You can't blame Favre for that.

Why does everyone say he's washed up? I would like to see how Tom Brady goes without his top 4 receivers and top 2 running backs and try to get his offense motivated.

Favre's been forced to try to make plays simply for the fact that he has no talent around him this season. If he had Javon Walker, Robert Ferguson, Terrance Murphy, Ahman Green, and Najeh Davenport, probably the five most skilled players in the Packers offense, they would probably be doing a lot better than what they are.

Should they sit Favre, possibly, but I think he should at least start games and try to play Aaron Rodgers when they are down big time. I think next week will be their best opportunity to try that since they are going to Atlanta. However, Atlanta hasn't exactly been killing opponents this season so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I think the Packers are just trying to do what the Bengals did with Carsen Palmer. I think it's good that they don't start him right now. It's probably better that they keep working through the NFL system in practice this season and then try him next year. I don't know about the rest of you but Alex Smith is hurt and I haven't heard a whole lot about Jason Campbell this year either.

yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 yamabushi98
yeah , the way hes talking , 'not wanting to sit through meetings', or 'learn a new system' makes me think the guy REALLY doesnt want to go any where. Al davis would go after him , is it me or is he really obsessed with old guys? and at this point Favres mistakes equal out or negate his good play basically making him, either a none factor, or at worst a hinderance to who ever hes playing for. 
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Toucanbird

yeah , the way hes talking , 'not wanting to sit through meetings', or 'learn a new system' makes me think the guy REALLY doesnt want to go any where. Al davis would go after him , is it me or is he really obsessed with old guys? and at this point Favres mistakes equal out or negate his good play basically making him, either a none factor, or at worst a hinderance to who ever hes playing for. yamabushi98

An old man who likes to go for old players. :P

Seriously, if the Packers were to try to trade Favre, I think he would retire. Besides, I don't think they would even try doing something like that.

VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 VanHalun040604

[QUOTE="yamabushi98"]yeah , the way hes talking , 'not wanting to sit through meetings', or 'learn a new system' makes me think the guy REALLY doesnt want to go any where. Al davis would go after him , is it me or is he really obsessed with old guys? and at this point Favres mistakes equal out or negate his good play basically making him, either a none factor, or at worst a hinderance to who ever hes playing for. Toucanbird

An old man who likes to go for old players. :P

Seriously, if the Packers were to try to trade Favre, I think he would retire. Besides, I don't think they would even try doing something like that.

They won't trade him, but when Sherman's fired, he's gone.  Al Davis has a way--and I have no idea how--of signing allegedly "washed up" players and then "reviving" their glory days under the California sun.  Favre might bite if he's got the option...but, like I said, that's just a lot of speculation. 

yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yamabushi98

If you really look at things, Brett Favre is still a very good QB. You can't blame him for losing the game against Pittsburg when they had a chance to come back but a ball goes through Donald Drivers hands and it gets intercepted. You can't blame Favre for that.

Why does everyone say he's washed up? I would like to see how Tom Brady goes without his top 4 receivers and top 2 running backs and try to get his offense motivated.

Favre's been forced to try to make plays simply for the fact that he has no talent around him this season. If he had Javon Walker, Robert Ferguson, Terrance Murphy, Ahman Green, and Najeh Davenport, probably the five most skilled players in the Packers offense, they would probably be doing a lot better than what they are.

Should they sit Favre, possibly, but I think he should at least start games and try to play Aaron Rodgers when they are down big time. I think next week will be their best opportunity to try that since they are going to Atlanta. However, Atlanta hasn't exactly been killing opponents this season so I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I think the Packers are just trying to do what the Bengals did with Carsen Palmer. I think it's good that they don't start him right now. It's probably better that they keep working through the NFL system in practice this season and then try him next year. I don't know about the rest of you but Alex Smith is hurt and I haven't heard a whole lot about Jason Campbell this year either.

Toucanbird

even if favres the best QB ever, the teams going no where, and its looking more and more apparent he wont be playing next year, and that sit'em on the sideline to learn is a bunch of BS. you can either play, or you cant. you learn by doing. nobody learned to ride a bike by sitting around watching somebody else do it for weeks on end. you got on the bike and you rode it.

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
He had a rough offseason losing a bunch from his o-line and losing all those players during the year didn't help either.
_Kramer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _Kramer_
Member since 2005 • 3982 Posts
[QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

yamabushi98

even if favres the best QB ever, the teams going no where, and its looking more and more apparent he wont be playing next year, and that sit'em on the sideline to learn is a bunch of BS. you can either play, or you cant. you learn by doing. nobody learned to ride a bike by sitting around watching somebody else do it for weeks on end. you got on the bike and you rode it.

A lot of rookie QBs sit on the sidelines for their first year, look at Carson Palmer. And Favre isn't the Packers problem for losing. It's the whole teams fault. Why would the Packers bench the only person that's keeping them in games? Just to give a rookie a couple of more reps? No team plays to lose...:|

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="yamabushi98"][QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

_Kramer_

A lot of rookie QBs sit on the sidelines for their first year, look at Carson Palmer. And Favre isn't the Packers problem for losing. It's the whole teams fault. Why would the Packers bench the only person that's keeping them in games? Just to give a rookie a couple of more reps? No team plays to lose...:|

Exactly.

That and playing QB in the NFL is a lot harder than learning how to bike. I think that learning how to ride a bike is a lot easier than learning offensive packages, defensive plays, timing, and blitz reads.

WeazelMan311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 1

#11 WeazelMan311
Member since 2004 • 9620 Posts
i don't think favre should retire until he makes one more run for the super bowl. the packers had a ton of key injuries this year and can defnitely get back on track next year.
yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 yamabushi98
[QUOTE="_Kramer_"][QUOTE="yamabushi98"][QUOTE="Toucanbird"]

Toucanbird

Exactly.

That and playing QB in the NFL is a lot harder than learning how to bike. I think that learning how to ride a bike is a lot easier than learning offensive packages, defensive plays, timing, and blitz reads.

"Why would the Packers bench the only person that's keeping them in games? Just to give a rookie a couple of more reps? No team plays to lose...:|"     exactly my point, these games are meaningless now, and a rookie needs reps to learn Off packages, + blitz reads, etc.   you both made my point for me.

"And Favre isn't the Packers problem for losing. It's the whole teams fault" Come on, 5 ints againest the Bengals? and if he didnt lose the Steelers game,(fumble --> TD, int --> TD) who did?

http://img485.imageshack.us/img485/3883/plx7sm.jpg

NYJCMart28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 NYJCMart28
Member since 2005 • 3239 Posts
I think he's not doing bad, his team is.
Spykezilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 Spykezilla
Member since 2004 • 7652 Posts
Favre wouldn't want to retire like this.  And he is still a pretty good QB.  He will probaly return for next season becuase with the success he has had in the past...he would hate to go out like this. But he is not playing like this, and the record isn't really reflect all on Favre.  Some of the games they lost were close or in the grip of them but it just went away.  They are actually a solid team but they aren't getting it done.
DRAGON467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#15 DRAGON467
Member since 2005 • 17119 Posts
yes i think so,cause i dont want him makin it worse than what it is now
Spykezilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#16 Spykezilla
Member since 2004 • 7652 Posts
problem is...it is not all his fault.
Herrdoktor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Herrdoktor
Member since 2002 • 17253 Posts
Yes because have Favre sit on the bench is going to make the Packers win. :roll:
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 VanHalun040604

Yes because have Favre sit on the bench is going to make the Packers win. :roll:Herrdoktor

Why would they want to win when they're season is over and Rodgers is the future?

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Toucanbird

[QUOTE="Herrdoktor"]Yes because have Favre sit on the bench is going to make the Packers win. :roll:VanHalun040604

Why would they want to win when they're season is over and Rodgers is the future?

You ask any veteran QB to turn down the reigns, no matter what part of the season it is and no matter where you're ranked, you're going to have a hard time doing it.

I mean how do you tell Brett Favre, a guy that has a passion that goes beyond football and say

"Hey, uh Brett, I know you are one of the greatest QBs of all time and all but I think were just going to bench you because we want to see what that young feller below you can do. Will you be able to deal with that?"...

"Oh, I didn't think so. Yeah, we completely forgot that this team around you is the worst and it's not your fault for losing all these games. I guess it was a stupid thing to ask."

Yeah, I can just imagine this conversation to happen. Also, don't expect him to get benched by Sherman since he recently stated that if Sherman's fired, he'll quit.

yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 yamabushi98
[QUOTE="VanHalun040604"]

[QUOTE="Herrdoktor"]Yes because have Favre sit on the bench is going to make the Packers win. :roll:Toucanbird

You ask any veteran QB to turn down the reigns, no matter what part of the season it is and no matter where you're ranked, you're going to have a hard time doing it.

I mean how do you tell Brett Favre, a guy that has a passion that goes beyond football and say

"Hey, uh Brett, I know you are one of the greatest QBs of all time and all but I think were just going to bench you because we want to see what that young feller below you can do. Will you be able to deal with that?"...

"Oh, I didn't think so. Yeah, we completely forgot that this team around you is the worst and it's not your fault for losing all these games. I guess it was a stupid thing to ask."

Yeah, I can just imagine this conversation to happen. Also, don't expect him to get benched by Sherman since he recently stated that if Sherman's fired, he'll quit.

First a real coach , wouldnt 'ask', he'd tell Favre that hes sitting. period. and if your a packers fan with any sense youd know its for the best. I know I wouldnt want my team throwing away half a season just to massage some QB's ego.

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts

"Hello?!  You play to win the game."  Thank you, Herm Edwards, for one of the best soundbytes ever.

You should always put your best team out there.  You don't sacrifice the goals of the rest of the team just to help one player, no matter how far away those goals are.  Favre gives the Packers a better chance to win than Rodgers possibly could.  And didn't the Panthers start the season 1-7 last year?  They barely missed the playoffs if I recall.

Any coach who willingly decides that winning isn't everything just because they are having a bad year deserves to be fired.  Sherman wouldn't do that.

yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 yamabushi98

"Hello?!  You play to win the game."  Thank you, Herm Edwards, for one of the best soundbytes ever.

You should always put your best team out there.  You don't sacrifice the goals of the rest of the team just to help one player, no matter how far away those goals are.  Favre gives the Packers a better chance to win than Rodgers possibly could.  And didn't the Panthers start the season 1-7 last year?  They barely missed the playoffs if I recall.

Any coach who willingly decides that winning isn't everything just because they are having a bad year deserves to be fired.  Sherman wouldn't do that.

wallymartin

"You should always put your best team out there". "Favre gives the Packers a better chance to win than Rodgers possibly could. "  How do you know that Rodgers wouldnt do better than Favre ? he couldnt do much worse.

"You don't sacrifice the goals of the rest of the team just to help one player" and what exactly are those goals, 3 or 4 wins. please

"Any coach who willingly decides that winning isn't everything just because they are having a bad year deserves to be fired. "    yeah, no team ever 'rebuilt' before. Next...

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="wallymartin"]

yamabushi98

"You should always put your best team out there". "Favre gives the Packers a better chance to win than Rodgers possibly could. "  How do you know that Rodgers wouldnt do better than Favre ? he couldnt do much worse.

"You don't sacrifice the goals of the rest of the team just to help one player" and what exactly are those goals, 3 or 4 wins. please

"Any coach who willingly decides that winning isn't everything just because they are having a bad year deserves to be fired. "    yeah, no team ever 'rebuilt' before. Next...

You're right. I'm a Packers fan but I would love to see Mike Sherman get fired. I've hated him ever since the 2000 season. He's one of the worst play calling coaches in the NFL and how do you run a west coast offense and barely throw any screens? That used to be the staple of the Green Bay Packers offense and they've went away from it because Mike Sherman is a complete moron.

However, now Favre basically said if Sherman's fired, he'll quit. I just don't want to see Brett Favre go out like that. In fact, the only player I would like to see go out like that is Terrell Owens because I hate so damn much.

The reason why I and all Packer fans alike want to see Favre at least go out on a positive note. I'm sure Favre wasn't planning on leaving with the worst team he's ever had. Favre should play one more year, get all their players back, have a winning season (and they should because all their injured players will be coming back and the defense will be much better because of the new system) and then leave it in the hands of the young Aaron Rodgers. Let's just say if Favre has a bad year next year (if he comes back), with his talented offense, then it's time to bench him. Just my opinion.

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wallymartin
[QUOTE="wallymartin"]

yamabushi98

If I remember correctly, the reports out of training camp were that Rodgers wasn't doing very well.  He was inaccurate and not getting the ball off fast enough.  He was struggling with the same problems that every other QB that came out of that sort of college system has struggled with.  By now, I don't imagine that he has gotten much better, seeing as how Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, David Carr, are still in the same boat after 4 years.

3 or 4 wins is a much better season than giving up and settling for just 1.

Even in a rebuilding year the goal is to win games.

gmolancer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gmolancer89
Member since 2005 • 146 Posts
i think he should've given it up before this season started and let aron rogers start his career. favre wouldve ended his career with a winning season last year but now it looks like he'll end it a losing one.
yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yamabushi98
I hope we can finally all agree that Favre , at one time a good QB, now really, really sucks, and needs to hang it up.
SaintPeter33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 SaintPeter33
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
yes he does
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wallymartin
I now think Favre should retire after the end of the year.  He's just been so horrible, I don't see him improving next year, even with better players around him.  He should finish out the season as the starter, then retire.  It pains me to say that, but it would be for the best for him to go out on just one bad season instead of two.
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toucanbird

I now think Favre should retire after the end of the year.  He's just been so horrible, I don't see him improving next year, even with better players around him.  He should finish out the season as the starter, then retire.  It pains me to say that, but it would be for the best for him to go out on just one bad season instead of two.wallymartin

Okay, so let me get this straight. You think Favre will have a bad season next year when he gets his No. 1 WR and one of the best in the NFL Javon Walker back next year? I don't see that happening.

Also, you give any QB in the NFL, even Tom Brady, the Packers offensive unit as of right now, I bet they would be doing just as bad if not worse.

It's just a talent and injury problem and you have to guess that the Packers in the draft are going to get a top 5 pick that's going to be spectacular. They might even get...do I dare say it...Reggie Bush.

Now what NFL QB wouldn't want to play with Reggie Bush next year?

fscjr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fscjr10
Member since 2005 • 949 Posts
i think he will leav this year becous he is having a bad year now and he alredy said he is going to retire