yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 yamabushi98
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

since theres so many packers fan around here, I thought you might find this fun reading.

Packers can pack it in right now

Adam Schein / Special to FOXSports.com

It's time to meet the last-place Green Bay Packers.

Chew on that for a minute.

The last-place Green Bay Packers.

The Packers are not a playoff team.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that is in serious transition.

This is a team, whether it admits it or not, that had a horrible off-season.

The Packers won't be able to stop the run, pressure the opposing quarterback, turn the opposition's offense over, and have simply no defensive depth or margin for error.

Other than that, the defense should be OK.

The signature move made by new general manager Ted Thompson in the off-season was bringing in Jim Bates to coach this awful unit. A player or 10 might have helped. While the aggressive Bates is a heck of a coach, he's going to have to be Albert Einstein and Bill Belichick combined to have a major effect in year one on this defense.

The secondary has more holes than a piece of Wisconsin Swiss cheese. Ahmad Carroll had a very rude introduction to the NFL last year, consistently getting burned deep and committing frustrating penalties. He's had a rough preseason, and if it wasn't for the injury to Joey Thomas (not exactly a shut-down cover corner in his own right), Carroll could be on the pine. CB Al Harris needs some help from his teammates, and fast.

The safety position is an all-out disaster. Savvy veteran Darren Sharper was shown the door in the off-season, packed his bags and joined the rival Vikings. He told me last week he's already circled the Packers games on his calendar. The experienced Earl Little is smart, but very much long in the tooth. Nick Collins is trying to make the jump from Bethune-Cookman to the NFC North. Mark Roman has a bad hamstring and is, well, Mark Roman. Todd Franz has a separated shoulder and isn't going to be confused with Ronnie Lott.

While Nick Barnett is a playmaking linebacker, he can't play all three positions at once. Na'il Diggs' injury is a killer. The unit is filled with substitutes and journeymen.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila can get to the QB, but he needs some help from the inside.

The only help he'll get from the Packers' defensive tackles is in a pie-eating contest.

Cletidus Hunt has been hurt basically all preseason and has been a major disappointment since signing an inflated contract.

Grady Jackson can't keep himself on the field. He is generously listed at 345 pounds.

That's most likely because he threatened to eat a few members of the Packers' PR staff.

Jackson barely played last year because of his obese physique, had off-season knee surgery, had the nerve to complain he was underpaid, and can't practice.

The biggest part of the Packers poor off-season was letting two of Brett Favre's bodyguards go. Mike Wahle is a versatile, tough, and flat-out consistent guard in his prime. Marco Rivera's been a rock on the offensive line. They instantly improve the Panthers and Cowboys, respectively.

And to compound the problem, Thompson didn't bother to replace these great guards. He gave former New England reserve Adrian Klemm a multi-year deal. Klemm's been a one-man MASH unit in his NFL career and can't shine Wahle's shoes. Seventh-round pick William Whitticker (who?) has started at right guard in the first two preseason games. That tells you all you need to know about free-agent pickup/tomato can Matt O'Dwyer.

This can't help the running game.

Ahman Green is still a very talented back, but he puts the ball on the ground way too much and isn't happy there is no chance he's getting a big-buck contract extension from Green Bay in his contract year (not giving Green the money is a good move by Thompson).

Najeh Davenport is a bull, but battled injuries all of last year.

And the severely depleted offensive line can't help Brett Favre, who after 17 picks last year, is not the same quarterback he was while he was building his first ballot Hall of Fame career.

Those 17 interceptions don't include the four brutal ones he tossed at home in the gruesome loss to the Vikings in the playoffs last year.

I repeat — he's not the same quarterback.

Favre is going to be running for his life this year sans Wahle and Rivera. Favre feuded with emerging star wide receiver Javon Walker in the off-season when Walker was threatening to hold out. Productive tight end Bubba Franks just ended his holdout and signed a new contract While Robert Ferguson is gritty, Donald Driver is solid, and I liked Terrence Murphy in college, the question remains if Favre will have enough time to use his weapons.

And as a result he will force the issue. It seemed as if Favre went from heroic to reckless last season with some of his decisions on picks. It seemed as if Favre tried to carry the team more last year in an effort to help the Packers overcompensate for flaws elsewhere. And that's scary based on the current roster.

In a rare moment of confusion, the NFL placed the Packers on Monday Night Football three times. While former legendary media columnist Rudy Martzke told me the Packers equal a huge ratings spike in prime time, their season could easily be over by the time they visit Baltimore on MNF on December 19th.

Almost as confusing is the recent two-year contract extension Thompson gave Coach Mike Sherman.

Sherman lost a power struggle in the off-season when he was stripped of his GM duties.

Sure Sherman has a great regular winning percentage, but he's 2-4 in the postseason, including two blowout losses at home. Plus, he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag in Philadelphia a few years ago well before Donovan McNabb hit Freddie Mitchell on the infamous 4th-and-26.

Wouldn't Thompson and the Pack be better served to wait until after 2005?

Why would Thompson hitch his wagon to the current coach?

What if the Packers go 7-9? 6-10?

But maybe this is consistent with the way the off-season went in Green Bay.

Forget the Minnesota Vikings.

In what might just be Favre's final season, the big question is simply this...

Can Green Bay hold off Chad Hutchinson and the Bears?

EscoDaddy14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#2 EscoDaddy14
Member since 2003 • 821 Posts
t-o-o -m-u-c-h REAding
ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#3 ocdog45
Member since 2005 • 9072 Posts
t-o-o -m-u-c-h REAdingEscoDaddy14
indiana_xxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 indiana_xxl
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts
[QUOTE="EscoDaddy14"]t-o-o -m-u-c-h REAdingocdog45

Plus it is B.Siht. Packers still will be number 1 in the NFC North.
yamabushi98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 yamabushi98
Member since 2005 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="ocdog45"][QUOTE="EscoDaddy14"]t-o-o -m-u-c-h REAdingindiana_xxl

sorry... forgot your packer fans ....

indiana_xxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 indiana_xxl
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts

[QUOTE="indiana_xxl"][QUOTE="ocdog45"][QUOTE="EscoDaddy14"]t-o-o -m-u-c-h REAdingyamabushi98

sorry... forgot your packer fans ....

Defense = Bad = Correct, but it will be better this year.

QB = Old = Correct, but still one of the best in the game

NYJCMart28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 NYJCMart28
Member since 2005 • 3239 Posts
I don't know why we should care about his opinion.
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VanHalun040604
Member since 2004 • 6399 Posts
Packers stink and have basically always been that way...Brett Favre is basically Kurt Warner with more durability and more starts under his belt (they both won only one Super Bowl). He's got a strong arm, but he makes throws sometimes that have me wondering whether or not he has a brain in his head. The game against the Raiders when he had a career game was a fluke (and partly because the Raiders D# just sucked last year)....he just tossed the ball up in the air in double and triple coverage and basically just got lucky he didn't have about 4 INTs.
EscoDaddy14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 EscoDaddy14
Member since 2003 • 821 Posts
Bingo^^^^^ I rmembewr that gme, they were like how good he did cuz his dad just die, Im sorry bout with all the $ he gets, Id still play witha death like that, you just gotta let things go. Anyway, yea like 3 of those TDs were misplays by like Bunchanon and Gibson.
--2fast2good--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 --2fast2good--
Member since 2005 • 501 Posts

Forget the Minnesota Vikings.

In what might just be Favre's final season, the big question is simply this...

Can Green Bay hold off Chad Hutchinson and the Bears?

yamabushi98

It is now probably "The Brilliant Kyle Orton and the Bears"

Chad Huthinson would probably put the ball where the packers D would have no choice but to intercept it.

Avatar image for thetombradyhate
thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 thetombradyhate
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
The NFC is figin weak and the pack will easily make the playoffs that guy is smokin crack Favre is amazing and this might not be his last year. The pack have a bad defence but there offence can compete with almost anyone but Indy and KC. Like i said the NFC is weak, the vikings got into the playoffs with 8 wins last season. The pack shouydl be able to pull out at least 9 which should get them in the playoffs. Look at the packs schedule Sep 11 @Detroit 4:15pm 713 WIN Sep 18 Cleveland 4:15pm 714 WIN Sep 25 Tampa Bay 1:00pm 710 WIN Oct 3 @Carolina 9:00pm I am gunna be pessamistic Loss Oct 9 New Orleans 1:00pm 705 WIN Week 6 BYE Oct 23 @Minnesota 1:00pm 710 LOSS Oct 30 @Cincinnati 1:00pm 705 WIN Nov 6 Pittsburgh 4:15pm 713 LOSS Nov 13 @Atlanta 4:15pm 712 LOSS Nov 21 Minnesota 9:00pm WIN Nov 27 @Philadelphia 4:15pm 712 LOSS Dec 4 @Chicago 1:00pm 710 WIN Dec 11 Detroit 8:30pm WIN Dec 19 @Baltimore 9:00pm LOSS Dec 25 Chicago 5:00pm WIN Jan 1 Seattle 4:15pm 713WIN ok i gave the pack 10 but look i wrote loss for some games that the pack pack can win: such as Carolina, Minnesota, and Baltimore. they have a good chance of winning any or all of those games i say the pack win 9-12 games this season
ARealChiefsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ARealChiefsFan
Member since 2005 • 1249 Posts
i say draft Leinhart
--2fast2good--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 --2fast2good--
Member since 2005 • 501 Posts

The NFC is figin weak and the pack will easily make the playoffs that guy is smokin crack Favre is amazing and this might not be his last year. The pack have a bad defence but there offence can compete with almost anyone but Indy and KC. Like i said the NFC is weak, the vikings got into the playoffs with 8 wins last season. The pack shouydl be able to pull out at least 9 which should get them in the playoffs. Look at the packs schedule Sep 11 @Detroit 4:15pm 713 WIN Sep 18 Cleveland 4:15pm 714 WIN Sep 25 Tampa Bay 1:00pm 710 WIN Oct 3 @Carolina 9:00pm I am gunna be pessamistic Loss Oct 9 New Orleans 1:00pm 705 WIN Week 6 BYE Oct 23 @Minnesota 1:00pm 710 LOSS Oct 30 @Cincinnati 1:00pm 705 WIN Nov 6 Pittsburgh 4:15pm 713 LOSS Nov 13 @Atlanta 4:15pm 712 LOSS Nov 21 Minnesota 9:00pm WIN Nov 27 @Philadelphia 4:15pm 712 LOSS Dec 4 @Chicago 1:00pm 710 WIN Dec 11 Detroit 8:30pm WIN Dec 19 @Baltimore 9:00pm LOSS Dec 25 Chicago 5:00pm WIN Jan 1 Seattle 4:15pm 713WIN ok i gave the pack 10 but look i wrote loss for some games that the pack pack can win: such as Carolina, Minnesota, and Baltimore. they have a good chance of winning any or all of those games i say the pack win 9-12 games this seasonthetombradyhate

Your giving the packers too much credit. I agree that Farve still has at least 3 years left in him, but hes going to be running for his life the whole time because of an O-line that looks like the Bears O-line last year. I dont even think that the great amhan green could run with an O-line like that unless he ran to the outside. And they have a defense that even the bears could rough up. the Bears great D-line would get to farve almost every time and put alot of pressure on him. So there goes their offense.

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Toucanbird
Member since 2004 • 6440 Posts

[QUOTE="thetombradyhate"]The NFC is figin weak and the pack will easily make the playoffs that guy is smokin crack Favre is amazing and this might not be his last year. The pack have a bad defence but there offence can compete with almost anyone but Indy and KC. Like i said the NFC is weak, the vikings got into the playoffs with 8 wins last season. The pack shouydl be able to pull out at least 9 which should get them in the playoffs. Look at the packs schedule Sep 11 @Detroit 4:15pm 713 WIN Sep 18 Cleveland 4:15pm 714 WIN Sep 25 Tampa Bay 1:00pm 710 WIN Oct 3 @Carolina 9:00pm I am gunna be pessamistic Loss Oct 9 New Orleans 1:00pm 705 WIN Week 6 BYE Oct 23 @Minnesota 1:00pm 710 LOSS Oct 30 @Cincinnati 1:00pm 705 WIN Nov 6 Pittsburgh 4:15pm 713 LOSS Nov 13 @Atlanta 4:15pm 712 LOSS Nov 21 Minnesota 9:00pm WIN Nov 27 @Philadelphia 4:15pm 712 LOSS Dec 4 @Chicago 1:00pm 710 WIN Dec 11 Detroit 8:30pm WIN Dec 19 @Baltimore 9:00pm LOSS Dec 25 Chicago 5:00pm WIN Jan 1 Seattle 4:15pm 713WIN ok i gave the pack 10 but look i wrote loss for some games that the pack pack can win: such as Carolina, Minnesota, and Baltimore. they have a good chance of winning any or all of those games i say the pack win 9-12 games this season--2fast2good--

Your giving the packers too much credit. I agree that Farve still has at least 3 years left in him, but hes going to be running for his life the whole time because of an O-line that looks like the Bears O-line last year. I dont even think that the great amhan green could run with an O-line like that unless he ran to the outside. And they have a defense that even the bears could rough up. the Bears great D-line would get to farve almost every time and put alot of pressure on him. So there goes their offense.

Somebody certainly hasn't been paying attention to Brett Favre's career. A few years after the Packers won the Super Bowl, the Packers had a ton of rookie offensive lineman and were just downright awful. However, Brett Favre was still great at evading the pressure and was still an MVP. Look at Brett now, he's lost over 10 pounds and has dramatically strenghened his torso.

If you watched his one possession in the Buffalo pre-season game. He tore the Bills defense up himself. Including the evasive maneuvers when he passed to Ahman Green for an 8 yard TD pass.

To tell you the truth, I agree with this sports writer almost fully. Their defense is going to be horrible as usual but the offense is still productive. I don't know if the Packers will get 10 wins or even 9 for that matter but keep this in mind. Brett Favre hasn't had a losing season since his first year with the Packers and they've had their share of good and bad teams since then.

Kratos33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kratos33
Member since 2004 • 1652 Posts
i got lost on like the fifth line but i agree totally with this, they have nothing, Farve may be a great QB but from what i hear, the line won't be able to give them enough time to make the plays that he excels at
ARealChiefsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ARealChiefsFan
Member since 2005 • 1249 Posts
i'm not sure about the ahman green thing, if he's really as good as they say he is he will be able to perform well, much like Tiki Barber, the NY line is just above horrible or it was awhile ago, and he was still managing 1,000+ yard seasons
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Toucanbird

Although the line isn't as great as it used to be, I still think Ahman Green will be a 1000 yard rusher.

thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thetombradyhate
green can easily be a 1k rusher dudes what are u thinkin the packs line is not that bad Last year they had one of the best in the league with poout starting center flanagan this year they got him back and lost 2 guards so they lost one stater compared to what is shud be so they will be slightly worse then last years o line which was great to good so this year they should be good to average u guys think they will be horrible but they still have 3 top quality o line me
Lee1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lee1255
Member since 2005 • 387 Posts

I agree with this assessment. I'm a Packer fan, and I can plainly say that this is all Mike Sherman's fault.

Look, they had to let go all those players. The Packers were cap-strapped. Who was running the cap the past few years? Sherman!

Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt not playing hard? Who's the coach? Sherman! Who does he have to replace them? James Lee or Donell Washington! Whose fault is that? Sherman!

Could they pick up any players in the offseason? Maybe even THINK about getting Corey Simon? No! CAP-STRAPPED.

Favre tossing up picks? Poorly coached! Sherman!

Look, Favre should have won at least three Super Bowls by now. All Sherman has done is resign the players Ron Wolf gave him and make stupid moves (anyone for some R-Kal Truluck?).

Thompson had to give Sherman an extension, or the team wouldn't listen to him at ALL. It's not guaranteed, though, and after this year's 6-10 season, Sherman's out.

PS In the ONE draft that Thompson has run, he's drafted more starters (Whitticker and Collins) than Sherman did last year. Just look at Sherman's 2003 draft:

Nick Barnett
Kenny Peterson
J
ames Lee
Hunter Hillenmeyer
Brennan Curtin
Chris Johnson
DeAndrew Rubin
Carl Ford
S
teve Josue

Only one starter out of the ENTIRE draft. Heck, only one PLAYER out of that draft. And picking a first-round pick is not that difficult. Let's be frank: Most guys who watch college football can pick out the best 32 players in a year. It's not hard. The real gold comes in late rounds, where Sherman has been particularly lacking. Just pathetic.

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Toucanbird

You are exactly right. Everything you just said is right. I am shocked at the Packers off-season moves. I always knew Sherman was a terrible coach but he has really taken the Packers franchise down the toilet for too long.

So what if he's won three straight NFC North championships. Has he won a Super Bowl? No! He has done nothing to improve a good Packers team. In fact, he's only hurt it!

thetombradyhate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 thetombradyhate
okay Mike Sherman has been doing a bad job but the pack are no way going to be as bad as this guy wrote.
Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Toucanbird
I do agree with you, but I don't understand what Thompson sees in Sherman. He is an awful coach for a pretty good team. The Packers the past few years had the talent to make the Super Bowl but Sherman screwed them out of it countless times. I know it wasn't a very big extension but it's an extension none the less.
Lee1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lee1255
Member since 2005 • 387 Posts

Thompson had to give an extension. If he didn't extend the contract, the team would have no reason to try and win this year, and they wouldn't listen to the coach at all. They already don't respect him. Besides, it's the NFL. When has a contract ever meant anything? (Hi, Bill Parcells!)

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Toucanbird
True, true
DRAGON467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 DRAGON467
Member since 2005 • 17119 Posts
true,u might be write
VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VanHalun040604

I agree with this assessment. I'm a Packer fan, and I can plainly say that this is all Mike Sherman's fault.

Look, they had to let go all those players. The Packers were cap-strapped. Who was running the cap the past few years? Sherman!

Grady Jackson and Cletidus Hunt not playing hard? Who's the coach? Sherman! Who does he have to replace them? James Lee or Donell Washington! Whose fault is that? Sherman!

Could they pick up any players in the offseason? Maybe even THINK about getting Corey Simon? No! CAP-STRAPPED.

Look, Favre should have won at least three Super Bowls by now. All Sherman has done is resign the players Ron Wolf gave him and make stupid moves (anyone for some R-Kal Truluck?).

Thompson had to give Sherman an extension, or the team wouldn't listen to him at ALL. It's not guaranteed, though, and after this year's 6-10 season, Sherman's out.

PS In the ONE draft that Thompson has run, he's drafted more starters (Whitticker and Collins) than Sherman did last year. Just look at Sherman's 2003 draft:

Nick Barnett
Kenny Peterson
J
ames Lee
Hunter Hillenmeyer
Brennan Curtin
Chris Johnson
DeAndrew Rubin
Carl Ford
S
teve Josue

Only one starter out of the ENTIRE draft. Heck, only one PLAYER out of that draft. And picking a first-round pick is not that difficult. Let's be frank: Most guys who watch college football can pick out the best 32 players in a year. It's not hard. The real gold comes in late rounds, where Sherman has been particularly lacking. Just pathetic.

Lee1255

When I look at all of your blatantly wrongful accusations, it's obvious that you're just looking at Sherman as a scapegoat to justify your crappy team. By the way, they aren't "cap-strapped" according to ESPN's Insider. Moreover, you cannot fault the coach for underachieving players...You do, however, have a legitimate beef with saying Sherman's drafts have turned out to be total busts. Sometimes, though, teams are just unlucky in that department. They've also had bad winning teams the past few years, so they've obviously been relegated to drafting late-round picks...You can't blame Sherman just because the team sucks (and basically always has) ever since Lombardi died.

Toucanbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toucanbird
[QUOTE="Lee1255"]

Nick Barnett
Kenny Peterson
J
ames Lee
Hunter Hillenmeyer
Brennan Curtin
Chris Johnson
DeAndrew Rubin
Carl Ford
S
teve Josue

VanHalun040604

When I look at all of your blatantly wrongful accusations, it's obvious that you're just looking at Sherman as a scapegoat to justify your crappy team. By the way, they aren't "cap-strapped" according to ESPN's Insider. Moreover, you cannot fault the coach for underachieving players...You do, however, have a legitimate beef with saying Sherman's drafts have turned out to be total busts. Sometimes, though, teams are just unlucky in that department. They've also had bad winning teams the past few years, so they've obviously been relegated to drafting late-round picks...You can't blame Sherman just because the team sucks (and basically always has) ever since Lombardi died.

Do you have a really bad grudge against the Packers or something? It seems like it's the only team you talk about that have a crappy team. It's not like they are as bad as the Browns or 49ers.

VanHalun040604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VanHalun040604
[QUOTE="VanHalun040604"][QUOTE="Lee1255"]

Nick Barnett
Kenny Peterson
J
ames Lee
Hunter Hillenmeyer
Brennan Curtin
Chris Johnson
DeAndrew Rubin
Carl Ford
S
teve Josue

Toucanbird

Do you have a really bad grudge against the Packers or something? It seems like it's the only team you talk about that have a crappy team. It's not like they are as bad as the Browns or 49ers.

He's just blaming the team's incompetence for the wrong reasons. I don't have a grudge against them; I just don't really care for them. However, I don't care for a lot of teams.