NFLUMD: #7 New England Patriots (f/ SF 49ers)

geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts

McFadden's long wait is over as he is headed to New York. I would also like to ask those who miss a pick to not actually vote in the poll, because it might throw some people off. I don't want to close the thread, if only there was a way to close the poll without losing the results.

It's quite odd to see a team of this caliber this high, but that's what the 49ers get for trading into the bottom of the round last year. White Samurai says the Pats need: CB(to replace Samuel), LB(that arent getting social security), and thats about it, except for fillers of course.

I have a feeling I know who the pick will be.

Vernon Gholston, Ohio St. - DE/OLB - Really came on last year. Great at rushing the passer, and is very quick. Has good upside to become a Shawn Merriman type player.
Keith Rivers, USC - OLB - Rivers is regarded as the best pure OLB in the draft. Has good speed, and can also lay a hit. Sometimes runs himself out of a play.
Leodis McKelvin, Troy - CB - Leodis didn't play the best of competition, but he has the skills. Played mostly man-man at Troy. Great speed, evidenced by his 8 kick/punt returns for TD's.
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St. - CB - Played in Dvision 1AA, so he really didn't play good competition. He has been making the most of the off-season though. He had a great Senior Bowl, and a great Combine. He is a tall CB, but has great speed. Needs to add some weight. I think he will be one of the better CB's in the league in a few years.

2008 NFL Draft

1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long - DE - Virginia
2. St. Louis Rams - Jake Long - OT - Michigan
3. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan - QB - Boston College
4. Oakland Raiders - Glenn Dorsey - DT - LSU
5. Kansas City Cheifs - Ryan Clady - OT - Boise State
6. New York Jets - Darren McFadden - RB - Arkansas

Apocalypse30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Apocalypse30
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts
I say they should pick Leodis McKelvin just because of all the CB's they lost in FA sure they signed some guys but none of them are long term solutions.Gholston would be my second choice for them since they released Colvin.
wwe4ever_in05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#3 wwe4ever_in05
Member since 2005 • 5173 Posts
Keith Rivers, from USC looks to be right pick here, I don't know why but I just see him in a Patriots Uniform.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

I think they would take Cromartie if they had a choice at CB. Nice rivalry now when they play SD.

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

Keith Rivers, from USC looks to be right pick here, I don't know why but I just see him in a Patriots Uniform.wwe4ever_in05

Rivers is not a top 10 pick if you ask me.

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts
Vernon Gholston
Avatar image for WhiteSamurai209
WhiteSamurai209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 WhiteSamurai209
Member since 2004 • 1348 Posts
Cromartie is the best CB in the draft and thats their main concern, and there are no top 10 linebackers so this pick is easy, Cromartie.
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts
I don't think they could go wrong with any of those 4 guys. But since they lost both Asante Samuel and Randall Gay replacing at least one of them should be top priority. DRC is the pick. Tremendous upside, and they may be lured in by the fact that he is a Cromartie.
kalabo10688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 kalabo10688
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

I would say NE needs a DE

but they lost alot in cb position so Cromartie

haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
I'm gonna go with Leodis McKelvin. He has a badass name and the Pats need CB help with Asante gone.
Apocalypse30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Apocalypse30
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts
I don't get this fascination with Rodgers-Cromartie ? You guys have your opinions and I respect that but I don't see him being nothing more but a #2 CB in the league.
Avatar image for detroitpistons0
detroitpistons0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 detroitpistons0
Member since 2006 • 12910 Posts
Cromartie is their best bet here. It'll also be interesting when the Pats end up playing San Diego every year. The Pats' secondary has deteriorated greatly, so a CB is basically a need in this draft, though I don't think this was the best draft if you were looking for a CB as a top priority.
KFrandsen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 KFrandsen2
Member since 2006 • 11377 Posts
im going with cromartie
Jrodsly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 Jrodsly
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

To decide this, first, Rivers and Cromartie, please go to the left side of the room. (Cromartie goes to the left, Rivers goes to the right) No, your other left, genius. (Rivers goes to the left) Ok. Gholston and McKelvin, you are....... the group that wont be contending for my vote. (Rivers: YES!!!!) Easy, rook. You havent won yet. I'm thinking of a number between 12 and 38. What is it? (Rivers: 19)(Cromartie: 31) It's 34. (Cromartie: YES!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! (kisses Jrod's hand) Ok........

In case you didnt figure it out, my vote is Cromartie.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts

To decide this, first, Rivers and Cromartie, please go to the left side of the room. (Cromartie goes to the left, Rivers goes to the right) No, your other left, genius. (Rivers goes to the left) Ok. Gholston and McKelvin, you are....... the group that wont be contending for my vote. (Rivers: YES!!!!) Easy, rook. You havent won yet. I'm thinking of a number between 12 and 38. What is it? (Rivers: 19)(Cromartie: 31) It's 34. (Cromartie: YES!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! (kisses Jrod's hand) Ok........

Jrodsly
Yeah.... next time save us all the 20 seconds of our lives, now wasted, from reading that rubbish. I think the Pats need a CB, so Cromartie or McKelvin. I'll go with Cromartie as well.
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="Jrodsly"]

Bobbles

Yeah.... next time save us all the 20 seconds of our lives, now wasted, from reading that rubbish. I think the Pats need a CB, so Cromartie or McKelvin. I'll go with Cromartie as well.

British people call a trashcan a rubbish-bin. True story.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St. - CB
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St. - CBJackBurton

Same here

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
I don't see Cromartie being picked that high. I vote Gholston.
Ngamer05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ngamer05
Member since 2003 • 11577 Posts

I don't see Cromartie being picked that high. I vote Gholston. CommanderShiro

The great Todd McShay says Vernon is overrated and shouldn't be a top 10 pick. :shock:

Avatar image for sfgiantsfan8291
sfgiantsfan8291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sfgiantsfan8291
Member since 2005 • 12011 Posts
I'm gonna go with McKelvin, not Cromartie.
Jrodsly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jrodsly
[QUOTE="Jrodsly"]

Bobbles

well you didnt have to be that mean about it. just tried to be funny.

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wallymartin
[QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="Jrodsly"]

Jrodsly

Bobbles is an ass, don't worry about him. I appreciate your attempt to break the monotony.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bobbles
[QUOTE="Jrodsly"][QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="Jrodsly"]

wallymartin

Bobbles is an ass, don't worry about him. I appreciate your attempt to break the monotony.

Word.
Jrodsly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jrodsly
[QUOTE="Jrodsly"][QUOTE="Bobbles"][QUOTE="Jrodsly"]

wallymartin

It's what I do best.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]I don't see Cromartie being picked that high. I vote Gholston. Ngamer05

The great Todd McShay says Vernon is overrated and shouldn't be a top 10 pick. :shock:

The Todd McShay is a quack.
geaux321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 geaux321
Member since 2003 • 19424 Posts
Well DRC it is. I wonder what the highest pick a 1-AA has been.
JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JackBurton

Well DRC it is. I wonder what the highest pick a 1-AA has been.geaux321

This is a total shot-in-the-dark answer, as I am not versed on the 1-AA schools list...

Phil Simms, QB, #7 overall, 1979 Draft, Morehead State. (wiki)

If that's incorrect, my 2nd guess would be a Cowboys or Raiders pick -- if I only knew which schools were 1-AA football programs I could give u a list in 30 seconds or less :(

:edit:
according to 1-AA.org, Tennessee State is listed as a 1-AA school... If that was true in 70's, then answer is: Ed Jones, DE, #1 overall, 1974 Draft, Dallas Cowboys

:second edit: typo/correction Simms' draft cIass; links added

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wallymartin

[QUOTE="geaux321"]Well DRC it is. I wonder what the highest pick a 1-AA has been.JackBurton

This is a total shot-in-the-dark answer, as I am not versed on the 1-AA schools list...

Phil Simms, QB, #7 overall, 1975 Draft, Morehead State.

If that's incorrect, my 2nd guess would be a Cowboys or Raiders pick -- if I only knew which schools were 1-AA football programs I could give u a list in 30 seconds or less :(

:edit:
according to 1-AA.org, Tennessee State is listed as a 1-AA school... If that was true in 70's, then answer is: Ed Jones, DE, #1 overall, 1974 Draft, Dallas Cowboys

How did I know it would be you with the answer? :P

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bobbles
Ed Jones owns too.
detroitpistons0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 detroitpistons0

I've... never heard of him...

There, I said it.

Avatar image for WhiteSamurai209
WhiteSamurai209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 WhiteSamurai209
Member since 2004 • 1348 Posts

I've... never heard of him...

There, I said it.

detroitpistons0

He's better known as Too Tall jones

detroitpistons0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 detroitpistons0
Now I've heard of him.
JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JackBurton

Now I've heard of him.detroitpistons0
yeah, I was surprised (while looking for link) that NFL.com has him listed as "Too Tall Jones" in it's historical section - without any mention of his actual first name.

I was also surprised that Tennessee State has always been a 2nd-tier program... not often associated with a (State's name here) State school -- or he would have been my first guess instead of Simms. Though Simms was the ultimate Phil Who? / Morehead where? first-round draft pick of modern era.