How long until Emmitt's rushing record is broken? Will it ever be?

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 wallymartin
Member since 2004 • 12165 Posts

This should stir up some debate. I'll let you guys talk amongst yourselves and I'll post my thoughts when I get back.

Ryder004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ryder004
Member since 2007 • 4371 Posts
Peterson can do it if he keeps having the seasons he is having for about 10 more seasons
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts
If Peterson stays healthy for more than a decade, then yes he will be able to break that record. But thats not likely to happen.
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wallymartin

Let's be realistic here. Peterson has played two seasons. You guys are already saying he has a shot at the rushing title? You cannot take someone so early in their career and simply say "Well, if he plays great the rest of his career..." You can use that with anybody. Jim Brown would still have it if he played longer.

As far as I am concerned, the only two people who can even be in the discussion of breaking it in the relatively near future are LaDainian Tomlinson and Clinton Portis. Both are up there on the list in rushing yards and they both probably have several seasons left to play.

But Tomlinson may have hit a wall. He will need a bit of resurgance to help gain ground. But if plays for 7 more years ( tieing Emmitt's 15 seasons), he won't even need to average 1,000 yards per season to beat it. 6 is easily doable as well, but 5 seasons gets a little more difficult at 1300 yards per season (Longevity is the reason you cannot include guys like Peterson in this discussion yet).

Portis is 2 year younger than Tomlinson and only 2,500 yards behind him. But Portis has never been the elite Runningback and halfway through his career, probably won't be getting too much better. He would have to match the next 8 years to his current 7, and I don't see that happening. I think his career may be nearer the likes of a Curtis Martin than Emmitt.

And think about this: we are in an age that loves to throw the football. 6 QBs threw for more than 4,000 yards last season, the most ever. Donovan McNabb was almost the 7th. ****in' McNabb! And the teams that aren't throwing the ball that much, and some that are, are increasingly moving to 2 or even 3 RB systems. Leads to fewer and fewer carries.

My conclusion: Portis has a daunting task in front of him, so for now I have to say No to him breaking the record, and I honestly don't think Tomlinson has 6 or 7 years of quality football left, and he isn't dominant enough to break it in 5. With RBs getting fewer carries, the chances get slimmer. The best RB out there may be forced to share and his opportunity lost.

Emmitt's record will not be broken for a long, long time. Come back in 2020 and we'll talk.

kalabo10688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 kalabo10688
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts
Unless their a rule change on the field I doubt anyone breaks it within the next 10 years
wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wallymartin

Unless their a rule change on the field I doubt anyone breaks it within the next 10 yearskalabo10688

Be specific, what kind of rule change are you talking about? I think this topic can generate a lot of debate, but not if the responses are vague.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts

Specific change: 18-game season.

If that happens then yes, Emmitt will be eclipsed with an *

If it stays 16 games, I don't think any of the current RB's have a chance, even Peterson.  He'll get injured, go somewhere that's not as good, if he does stay who's to say Minnesota will always be able to protect him. 

wallymartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wallymartin

If it stays 16 games, I don't think any of the current RB's have a chance, even Peterson. He'll get injured, go somewhere that's not as good, if he does stay who's to say Minnesota will always be able to protect him.

themyrmidon

Excellent point, that hadn't even occured to me. 18 games would definitely help.

Though on a personal note, I am against adding more games.

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
AP will do it.
ARealChiefsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ARealChiefsFan
Member since 2005 • 1249 Posts
[QUOTE="themyrmidon"]

If it stays 16 games, I don't think any of the current RB's have a chance, even Peterson. He'll get injured, go somewhere that's not as good, if he does stay who's to say Minnesota will always be able to protect him.

wallymartin

Excellent point, that hadn't even occured to me. 18 games would definitely help.

Though on a personal note, I am against adding more games.

Running backs are one of the worst about wearing down, but it goes with the territory, 99% of the time they get the ball, they get hit, and they get it most often second only to QB's. I don't think anyone can be the work horse for 18 games and play as long as Emmit did, so no, it won't be broken

Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts
AP will miss 12 games at least 2 years. He is fragile, and the way he runs makes him even more fragile. This is the guy who got hurt while diving into the endzone at OU.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
No one will break it any time soon. Maybe some other Gator rb in the next two decades, I dunno....
Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 Blazer88
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

Longer than his broadcasting career did.

DLateral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DLateral
Member since 2008 • 1240 Posts

Unless something goes horribly wrong Peterson will break it.

spfx30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 spfx30
Member since 2005 • 9945 Posts

I concur with the notion that it is highly unlikely anyone will break the record within 10 years.

Going out on a limb, Jim Brown was a beast. Ernie Davis? Same deal, or rather, he would have been a beast. F***in' cancer. :roll: :(

kalabo10688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kalabo10688
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

[QUOTE="kalabo10688"]Unless their a rule change on the field I doubt anyone breaks it within the next 10 yearswallymartin

Be specific, what kind of rule change are you talking about? I think this topic can generate a lot of debate, but not if the responses are vague.

[QUOTE="kalabo10688"]Unless their a rule change on the field I doubt anyone breaks it within the next 10 yearswallymartin

longer Season,Different formation being allowed,changes to overtime,
haloraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 haloraider
Member since 2006 • 3110 Posts
Who cares about his rushing record. Who will surpass him in dancing ability is what I want to know.
Espurs117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Espurs117
Member since 2005 • 22817 Posts

Who cares about his rushing record. Who will surpass him in dancing ability is what I want to know.haloraider

List of Records in sports that will never be broken.
1. Cal Ripken consecutive games played.
2. Joe DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak.
3. Brett Favre interception record.
4. Brett Favre retirement press conferences.
5. Emmitt rushing record/owning at dancing. 

gfxarts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 gfxarts
Member since 2006 • 1130 Posts

[QUOTE="haloraider"]Who cares about his rushing record. Who will surpass him in dancing ability is what I want to know.Espurs117

lol, well done.  The first thing I thought of was the change in the number of games.  If they decide to add teams within the next 10 years.. and it seems that they will.  Then we'll see even more games.. they'll be playing more weekdays too.  The increase in games is probably what is contributing to the split workloads though.

I watched only a few Chargers games last year and I have to say LT looks like chit.  I showed my dad a Falcons game and we watched Turner and Norwood fight for every yard.  Then we saw Adrian Petterson doing somersaults down the field in order to stay on his toothpick legs.  So when I saw a chargers game on I said, "dad, you have to see this LT guy.  He is the best in the league."  I thought our minds would be blown.  Listen, he was slow .. slow off the snap.. slow making a cut.. slower getting up and going back to the huddle.  The worst part about it was that he ran out of bounds almost every other play.  LT seems to be a guy that has lost the fire.  He's got his money and has forgotten the hunger and drive it takes to be the best and break big plays.  Some say that he'll wake up and smell the coffee this year.. we'll see.  It could be the turning point in his career.  Will he have one bad year and work his arse off to bounce back.. or is this the end of his reign?

I agree that Petterson shouldn't even enter the conversation yet.  He has mesmerized everyone.. like Tyson did.  He is the best right now IMO.. and maybe better than Emmitt on his best day.. but this record is definitely tied to longevity.

I had no idea Portis was as young as he is.  His career could blossom again, but he'll be sharing a load.  This NFL.. once you get into the latter 20's there is always a younger guy to groom.

I'd like to see the statistics on injuries to RB's now.  Are they taken care of more with all the technology.. or is the heavier faster Defense causing more injuries than before?  I mean, they weren't repairing soft tissue the same way even when Sweetness was on the field.

Blazer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 Blazer88
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

[QUOTE="haloraider"]Who cares about his rushing record. Who will surpass him in dancing ability is what I want to know.Espurs117

And if he comes back again you can add Brett Favre comebacks

chAzN93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 chAzN93
Member since 2004 • 34854 Posts
[QUOTE="Espurs117"]

[QUOTE="haloraider"]Who cares about his rushing record. Who will surpass him in dancing ability is what I want to know.Blazer88

And if he comes back again you can add Brett Favre comebacks

meh you should just add it now