Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

This is probably the first season I have really been keeping track of the games and watching everyone I can. In New Zealand the only coverage we get is from ESPN, so I get only 2-3 games a week...

I really enjoy watching the sport, and to compliment my interest in the game, and to try and get more of a feel for the tactics, I borrowed Madden 04 from a friend (I know its fairly ancient).

Rookie is far too easy. Win everytime by a sizeable gap, to the point where its not really fun. However the next difficulty up (Pro) is too hard. I conced roughly four TD a half, and am lucky if I can get a couple of Field Goals.

I think my main problem is a lack of understanding the different formations etc. Nickels, Quaters etc. Theres a tonne and they are confusing.

Can someone please give me a 101 on general lineup formations? Cheers in advance.

themyrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 themyrmidon
Member since 2007 • 5567 Posts

3-4: 3 linemen, 4 linebackers, 4 secondary

4-3: 4 linemen, 3 linebackers, 4 secondary 

Nickel: 4 linemen, 2 linebackers, 5 secondary

Dime: 4 linemen, 1 linebacker, 6 secondary

Quarter: 3 linemen, 1 linebacker, 7 secondary.

There will be some variances (things like a dime with 3 linemen and 2 linebackers, quarter with 4 linebackers, etc.), but the general rule is 4 secondary for normal formations, 5 with nickel, 6 with dime, and 7 with quarter.  In terms of strategy you want to choose one main form (4-3, 3-4) and use nickel in some situations, with dime and quarter only being used in special circumstances. 

Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts
In simpler words, the most ''secondary'' dudes you have on the field, the better you should be able to deal with passing on defense. The more Linemens and Linebackers you have on the field, the easier it should be to stop the run. But if you stick with 3-4/4-3/Nickel 90% of the time you should be fine.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts
Wow. Thanks guys.
Put_in_Kitna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Put_in_Kitna
Member since 2009 • 2765 Posts
Im gonna be the one to say it. Bandwagon.
Avatar image for Darth_Revan_666
Darth_Revan_666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Darth_Revan_666
Member since 2005 • 2801 Posts

Im gonna be the one to say it. Bandwagon. Put_in_Kitna

Yeah, I agree :P  . There should be an official association of the ''Ravens and Cowboys fans uniting against the Steelers'' out there. I say lets do this.

Bobbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bobbles
Member since 2003 • 11678 Posts

[QUOTE="Put_in_Kitna"]Im gonna be the one to say it. Bandwagon. Darth_Revan_666

Yeah, I agree :P  . There should be an official association of the ''Ravens and Cowboys fans uniting against the Steelers'' out there. I say lets do this.

Word.