Will current/old games/comics look better or worse on Ipad 3's insane screen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

Just wondering because the Ipad 3 has a super high resolution. Will current games and apps look like trash on them or no?

I really hope not. I have a a megaton load of comics that are native to Ipad 2's 1024x768 res or whatever. Will these comics look as good on Ipad 3 or will they look blurry?

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Apple has said everything will scale to match the new resolution and that it will look fine,but to truly take advantage of the new resolution your going to have to update your apps/comics/books and that's upto weather or not whoever created that content will update for the new screen.
oldskooler79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 oldskooler79
Member since 2004 • 1632 Posts

Apple has said everything will scale to match the new resolution and that it will look fine,but to truly take advantage of the new resolution your going to have to update your apps/comics/books and that's upto weather or not whoever created that content will update for the new screen.blacktorn

You didn't really answer my question. I don't feel like updating sh*t. Will my current stuff look blurry or worse on the new ipad? What do you mean scale? I hope you mean a 1:1 scale like PS Vita since it's double the res unlike 3DS where all my DS games are blurry. That's what I'm talking about.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]Apple has said everything will scale to match the new resolution and that it will look fine,but to truly take advantage of the new resolution your going to have to update your apps/comics/books and that's upto weather or not whoever created that content will update for the new screen.oldskooler79

You didn't really answer my question. I don't feel like updating sh*t. Will my current stuff look blurry or worse on the new ipad? What do you mean scale? I hope you mean a 1:1 scale like PS Vita since it's double the res unlike 3DS where all my DS games are blurry. That's what I'm talking about.

he did answer your question, you just didn't comprehend it. Lamens terms: No. All your stuff will look the same to you. Nothing gets worse.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts
I was expecting it to be like when the iPhone 4 was released - many apps came out with a bunch of HD updates, but I haven't seen any of this yet for the iPad.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

I was expecting it to be like when the iPhone 4 was released - many apps came out with a bunch of HD updates, but I haven't seen any of this yet for the iPad.mjc
It probably will be.

Iphone 3gs res 480 x 320

iPhone 4 960 x 640 (exactly double so scales proportionally

iPad 2 1024 x 768

The new iPad 2048 x 1536 (exactly double again)

Like blacktorn said though, it depends on whether the developers will release an upscaled version to take full advantage of the resolution upgrade. If not it will still look ok just a little pixelated when stretched.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

[QUOTE="oldskooler79"]

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]Apple has said everything will scale to match the new resolution and that it will look fine,but to truly take advantage of the new resolution your going to have to update your apps/comics/books and that's upto weather or not whoever created that content will update for the new screen.Kid-Atari

he did answer your question, you just didn't comprehend it. Lamens terms: No. All your stuff will look the same to you. Nothing gets worse.

BINGO!

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#8 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I was expecting it to be like when the iPhone 4 was released - many apps came out with a bunch of HD updates, but I haven't seen any of this yet for the iPad.mjc
All of Apple's apps have already been updated. I expect many companies to follow their lead, though it may not be as swiftly as it was for the iPhone 4. The new iPad's resolution is unreal.
The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
[QUOTE="oldskooler79"]

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]Apple has said everything will scale to match the new resolution and that it will look fine,but to truly take advantage of the new resolution your going to have to update your apps/comics/books and that's upto weather or not whoever created that content will update for the new screen.Kid-Atari

Basically this and also the 3DS can play the DS games at it's native resolution. Just hold select while starting the game.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blacktorn
[QUOTE="mjc"]I was expecting it to be like when the iPhone 4 was released - many apps came out with a bunch of HD updates, but I haven't seen any of this yet for the iPad.musicalmac
All of Apple's apps have already been updated. I expect many companies to follow their lead, though it may not be as swiftly as it was for the iPhone 4. The new iPad's resolution is unreal.

It is super high resolution but i have a ipod touch 4g (the retina one) and whilst the screen does look pin sharp and really very nice i'm not really amazed by it,nice but not oh wow i need to buy one of those right now kinda nice.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 musicalmac  Moderator
It is super high resolution but i have a ipod touch 4g (the retina one) and whilst the screen does look pin sharp and really very nice i'm not really amazed by it,nice but not oh wow i need to buy one of those right now kinda nice.blacktorn
Here is what I predict: Much like it was when Apple released a retina display iPhone/iPod Touch, the original iPad display seemed low resolution. It was noticeable. Here's the biggest problem with the current iPad. That resolution is huge, and the display is 9.7". I tend to think that people who end up with this iPad are going to look at their home computer, and think, "Man, this resolution seems really bad."

Mark my words...
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="blacktorn"]It is super high resolution but i have a ipod touch 4g (the retina one) and whilst the screen does look pin sharp and really very nice i'm not really amazed by it,nice but not oh wow i need to buy one of those right now kinda nice.musicalmac
Here is what I predict: Much like it was when Apple released a retina display iPhone/iPod Touch, the original iPad display seemed low resolution. It was noticeable. Here's the biggest problem with the current iPad. That resolution is huge, and the display is 9.7". I tend to think that people who end up with this iPad are going to look at their home computer, and think, "Man, this resolution seems really bad."

Mark my words...

Are you saying the biggest problem with the new iPad is that the other displays people have will seem inferior? If so that would be the problem of the other displays, not the iPad. The screen is THE defining feature of the new iPad.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 musicalmac  Moderator
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

Are you saying the biggest problem with the new iPad is that the other displays people have will seem inferior? If so that would be the problem of the other displays, not the iPad. The screen is THE defining feature of the new iPad.

I don't think you understand. I agree 100% with you, and all the reviews point to the amazing screen. Every screen that isn't an iPad screen is going to look crappy by comparison, especially your computer monitor. Which is why I think Apple is well on its way to releasing "retina" iMacs and MacBook Air/Pro models this year. Ivy Bridge supports those resolutions all by itself.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

musicalmac

I don't think you understand. I agree 100% with you, and all the reviews point to the amazing screen. Every screen that isn't an iPad screen is going to look crappy by comparison, especially your computer monitor. Which is why I think Apple is well on its way to releasing "retina" iMacs and MacBook Air/Pro models this year. Ivy Bridge supports those resolutions all by itself.

I agree as well, but what is the biggest problem with the iPad? What don't I understand? :P

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blacktorn
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

Well actually not every review is amazed by the new screen with some examples from the wall street journal for example says the new ipad is definitely not a needed upgrade if you already own a previous ipad but would be a great start for new comers to the ipad/tablet range. So i mean the difference is definitely there but weather or not it's a big enough difference to want someone to upgrade to the new ipad is going to be a individual decision probably based on how good there eye sight is. It's a bit like the old argument against 720p vs 1080p when the whole HDTV thing started to kick off,when 1080p tv's use to have a high premium people use to argue that they can't even notice a great difference between the two resolutions while some will swear it's a no going back kind of jump,so individual perception of what they can actual see will determine weather or not these high resolution screen's are worth investing in new equipment. If i were to buy a new ipad i would probably get the new ipad retina version as the price difference between ipad 2 and retina ipad isn't a massive difference,but if the ipad 2 was around half the price of the new one then i think i would buy ipad 2.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 musicalmac  Moderator
It's a bit like the old argument against 720p vs 1080p when the whole HDTV thing started to kick offblacktorn
Have you seen it? I think the difference will be more striking than you realize. Lets do a little math...

There are approximately 1,152,000 more pixels on the screen in a 1080p picture vs a 720p picture. In the new iPad, there are a whopping 2,359,296 more pixels than in the iPad 2 and original iPad. Put that on a screen 9.7" thick, and you have yourself one very, very stunning and dense display.

The new iPad display has 34.1% more pixels than a 1080p TV. That's a stunner on a 9.7" screen when you think that 1080p TVs come in 60"+.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="blacktorn"] It's a bit like the old argument against 720p vs 1080p when the whole HDTV thing started to kick offmusicalmac
Have you seen it? I think the difference will be more striking than you realize. Lets do a little math...

There are approximately 1,152,000 more pixels on the screen in a 1080p picture vs a 720p picture. In the new iPad, there are a whopping 2,359,296 more pixels than in the iPad 2 and original iPad. Put that on a screen 9.7" thick, and you have yourself one very, very stunning and dense display.

The new iPad display has 34.1% more pixels than a 1080p TV. That's a stunner on a 9.7" screen when you think that 1080p TVs come in 60"+.

I had the luxury of playing on both the new and old iPad and while there was a difference , it was not as big of a difference as you make it out to be, i found the iPad 2's screen more than capable The game tested was sky gamblers air supremacy.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musicalmac  Moderator

I had the luxury of playing on both the new and old iPad and while there was a difference , it was not as big of a difference as you make it out to be, i found the iPad 2's screen more than capable The game tested was sky gamblers air supremacy.

mystic_knight
That's one place we'll just have to disagree. :P
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

musicalmac

Thats fine, but are you saying just for that bump in resolution you think people should sell their iPad 2 and buy the iPad (2012) If thats the case i will definitely disagree, but if its a brand new purchase i would without a doubt recommend the iPad (2012). It seems silly to me to sell the iPad 2 and get the new one, unless of course you make very good money out of it, unfortunately i think its a little too late for that.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blacktorn
[QUOTE="musicalmac"][QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

mystic_knight

Thats fine, but are you saying just for that bump in resolution you think people should sell their iPad 2 and buy the iPad (2012) If thats the case i will definitely disagree, but if its a brand new purchase i would without a doubt recommend the iPad (2012). It seems silly to me to sell the iPad 2 and get the new one, unless of course you make very good money out of it, unfortunately i think its a little too late for that.

Right that's what i said pretty much,and just going by statistics of the improvements vs the perceived difference is alot different. Another example is the gpu in the ipad 3 is suppose to be 4x higher than the tegra 3 and 18 times faster than the original ipad,do the games look 18 times better?Absolutely not,massive jumps in technical numbers can actually only lead to a small perceived improvement. So ya it's best to just get these devices into your own hands then just decide instead of basing your buying decision on the technical numbers.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="blacktorn"][QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="musicalmac"] That's one place we'll just have to disagree. :P

Right that's what i said pretty much,and just going by statistics of the improvements vs the perceived difference is alot different. Another example is the gpu in the ipad 3 is suppose to be 4x higher than the tegra 3 and 18 times faster than the original ipad,do the games look 18 times better?Absolutely not,massive jumps in technical numbers can actually only lead to a small perceived improvement. So ya it's best to just get these devices into your own hands then just decide instead of basing your buying decision on the technical numbers.

Im in full agreeance with you :P, I got your back bro
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#22 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

musicalmac

You obviously dont know how PPI and resolution work.

A computer is used 2 feet away(or altleast it should be) so even a 1080p 23" monitor appears razer sharp. Smartphones have had higher PPI than computer monitors for a long time and that didnt make anyone throw away their computers.

Same reason why you have matte coatings on monitors and not on the ipad, because you use the ipad much closer to your eyes than a monitor and if the ipad had matte coating it would completely ruin the image quality.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 musicalmac  Moderator

A computer is used 2 feet away(or altleast it should be) so even a 1080p 23" monitor appears razer sharp. Smartphones have had higher PPI than computer monitors for a long time and that didnt make anyone throw away their computers.

Same reason why you have matte coatings on monitors and not on the ipad, because you use the ipad much closer to your eyes than a monitor and if the ipad had matte coating it would completely ruin the image quality.

Gambler_3
My only real complaint with the original iPad was that the screen was noticeably less sharp than that of my iPhone. With the new time I've spent with the new iPad, I can't help but feel the same way about every computer monitor I use from home to work. The pixels are clearly everywhere, even on my 22" 1080p monitor. Even on the two professional grade monitors I use at work. The same cannot be said of the iPhone or the new iPad. It's really quite beautiful, and I welcome that for the future.

Right now, all signs are pointing to high DPI screens for Apple's mobile line, and I hope the same can be said of the new iMacs, both of which are set to release this year.

I know you're really struggling with Apple's innovations, but like it or not, the standard has once again been set by the most valuable traded company in the world. This is not fanboy talk, this is reality.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

My only real complaint with the original iPad was that the screen was noticeably less sharp than that of my iPhone. With the new time I've spent with the new iPad, I can't help but feel the same way about every computer monitor I use from home to work. The pixels are clearly everywhere, even on my 22" 1080p monitor. Even on the two professional grade monitors I use at work. The same cannot be said of the iPhone or the new iPad. It's really quite beautiful, and I welcome that for the future.

Right now, all signs are pointing to high DPI screens for Apple's mobile line, and I hope the same can be said of the new iMacs, both of which are set to release this year.

I know you're really struggling with Apple's innovations, but like it or not, the standard has once again been set by the most valuable traded company in the world. This is not fanboy talk, this is reality.

Samsung has innovated more than apple in the smartphone display line. It is superAmoled blacks and perfect motion smoothness which make me think my computer monitor is so behind the times not some barely noticible pixels.

The new ipad still has TERRIBLE blacks, it still judders with motion. It only brings more pixels, IPS computer monitors have had very accurate color reproduction for quite some time now. However they still fail in contrast and motion smoothness, 2 things which matter infinitely more for gaming.

How on earth can a gamer call a display that has terrible blacks and motion judder a revolutionary display is beyond me. Oh ya apple love can do that!!

A person has such high standards with pixel density and yet could care less about contrast lol couldnt get more ironic. OLED tech is the future, not retina LCDs.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 musicalmac  Moderator

Samsung has innovated more than apple in the smartphone display line. It is superAmoled blacks and perfect motion smoothness which make me think my computer monitor is so behind the times not some barely noticible pixels.

The new ipad still has TERRIBLE blacks, it still judders with motion. It only brings more pixels, IPS computer monitors have had very accurate color reproduction for quite some time now. However they still fail in contrast and motion smoothness, 2 things which matter infinitely more for gaming.

How on earth can a gamer call a display that has terrible blacks and motion judder a revolutionary display is beyond me. Oh ya apple love can do that!!

A person has such high standards with pixel density and yet could care less about contrast lol couldnt get more ironic. OLED tech is the future, not retina LCDs.

Gambler_3
Well, there's nothing much I can say. It's clear you don't really know what you're talking about. I don't have to spend time proving how great the iPad is or how terrible any competing tablets may be. Regardless of how much you kick and scream, it's still the premier tablet available, with one of the industry's best screens. No matter how hard you fight, it's not going to matter. It doesn't take Apple blinders to read the reviews and the opinions of the professionals. One cantankerous forumite doesn't register. I don't quite understand why you have decided to launch such a campaign against a piece of glass and silicon.

I also feel that I should point out that there aren't any OLED tablets, and if you want to consider OLED tech, we should also probably consider the next iPad when we're comparing it to current generation gaming technology. For all we know, Apple may adopt OLED tech when it's honed and cost-effective. Then you'll really have a fit to throw. :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

Well, there's nothing much I can say. It's clear you don't really know what you're talking about. I don't have to spend time proving how great the iPad is or how terrible any competing tablets may be. Regardless of how much you kick and scream, it's still the premier tablet available, with one of the industry's best screens. No matter how hard you fight, it's not going to matter. It doesn't take Apple blinders to read the reviews and the opinions of the professionals. One cantankerous forumite doesn't register. I don't quite understand why you have decided to launch such a campaign against a piece of glass and silicon.

I also feel that I should point out that there aren't any OLED tablets, and if you want to consider OLED tech, we should also probably consider the next iPad when we're comparing it to current generation gaming technology. For all we know, Apple may adopt OLED tech when it's honed and cost-effective. Then you'll really have a fit to throw. :P

Thats the thing it is "one" of the best display not THE best.

And actually there is an OLED tablet.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_p6800_galaxy_tab_7_7-4136.php

Size is obviously it's biggest weakness.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deleteduser198

Gambler has a raging hate boner for Apple's apparent success.

He's been "foreseeing" the failure of apple products for the past half decade and has launched his own mud-slinging campaign to cope with how horribly wrong his "projections" were.

Hundreds of reviews and professional analyzations later, the iPad 3 kicks the crap out of everything out there above and beyond the moon and rainbow. The Retina Display MATTERS. Place an Retina iPad and especially the Retina iPhone next to their non-retina counterparts and which one are people going to choose?

Stop being a trolling tool, Gambler.

I don't understand why mods don't just suspend your account for this.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 musicalmac  Moderator

Gambler_3
And abysmal stock UI and software support. Android in general is a train wreck. On tablets, though, it's a mid-air plane collision.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Gambler_3

Gambler has a raging hate boner for Apple's apparent success.

He's been "foreseeing" the failure of apple products for the past half decade and has launched his own mud-slinging campaign to cope with how horribly wrong his "projections" were.

Hundreds of reviews and professional analyzations later, the iPad 3 kicks the crap out of everything out there above and beyond the moon and rainbow. The Retina Display MATTERS. Place an Retina iPad and especially the Retina iPhone next to their non-retina counterparts and which one are people going to choose?

Stop being a trolling tool, Gambler.

I don't understand why mods don't just suspend your account for this.

Kid-Atari

I have never projected such a thing.

Many people will choose a lower resolution SAMOLED display over retina LCD.

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

musicalmac

And abysmal stock UI and software support. Android in general is a train wreck. On tablets, though, it's a mid-air plane collision.

Nothing abysmal about the stock UI of my nexus S. Just as smooth as iphone with way more functionality. Problems only happen when people put loads of widgets on their homescreens and/or live wallpapers. There is a price you have to pay for such eye candy.

My nexus S has brilliant software support, always running the latest version of android. Anyone who wants top notch software support on their android device should buy a nexus phone, simple really.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

And abysmal stock UI and software support. Android in general is a train wreck. On tablets, though, it's a mid-air plane collision. musicalmac
This sort of talk should be saved for System Wars. "Cross-platform discussions belong in System Wars." You should know better than to let this go on.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 musicalmac  Moderator

This sort of talk should be saved for System Wars. "Cross-platform discussions belong in System Wars." You should know better than to let this go on.

NVIDIATI
Two things- my comment isn't made to simply get people riled up. Apple's polished and well-oiled ecosystem makes Android look like a fragmented mess. Secondly, I'm not letting anything go on so much as I am giving people the benefit of the doubt. My goal is not to troll everyone who feels differently, but I will express my opinions honestly. Things on this board were very level and nice until very recently...
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deleteduser198
[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

musicalmac
Two things- my comment isn't made to simply get people riled up. Apple's polished and well-oiled ecosystem makes Android look like a fragmented mess. Secondly, I'm not letting anything go on so much as I am giving people the benefit of the doubt. My goal is not to troll everyone who feels differently, but I will express my opinions honestly. Things on this board were very level and nice until very recently...

The trolls started surfacing once Apple stock surpassed $600 and the video-game industry started hailing iOS as the holy grail of mobile gaming. It's called the "sore loser" syndrome.