This Is The Nexus 5, In Full-Size Official Press Photo Glory

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PinkiePirate
Member since 2012 • 1973 Posts

Today, the Nexus 5 briefly appeared in the Google Play Store, revealing the look of the final product, along with the price of the 16GB version. $349. And here it is.

Love it. 4.4 Kitkat looks really clean with the transparent navbar and status bar.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/17/this-is-the-nexus-5-in-full-size-official-press-photo-glory/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/17/breaking-nexus-5-partially-visible-in-the-play-store-ahead-of-release/

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Earlier today some Nexus 5 press images, for Canadian provider Telus, was leaked as well.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/nexus-5-press-images-with-telus-branding/

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I hope there's not glass/plastic on the back. Whoever thought it was a good idea to encase a phone in glass is an idiot.

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PinkiePirate

@Fightingfan said:

I hope there's not glass/plastic on the back. Whoever thought it was a good idea to encase a phone in glass is an idiot.

No glass on the back. It's a matte plastic. The plastic around the edge comes up flush with the front bezel, like the Galaxy Nexus did.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Oh yea, that's pretty.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts

I don't know why but I really really like the look of this phone. Do we have any idea what the specs might be?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7  Edited By JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

I got my Nexus 4 in February... Now I want this and not even had my phone for a year. Damn those marketing wizards!

Any way I want at least 32GB or even a 64GB one(unlikely I know) because 16GB just doesn't cut it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fightingfan

@PinkiePirate said:

@Fightingfan said:

No glass on the back. It's a matte plastic. The plastic around the edge comes up flush with the front bezel, like the Galaxy Nexus did.

That's good to hear. I don't like Aluminum as it's costly, and scratches easily.

I'm somewhat tempted to sell my Nexus 4, but than somewhat not. It works fine, and it just started lagging behind in real world performance (Lags in certain games like King Rush Frontiers).

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Hmmm do i want to sell my HTC one or not... This is a darn good phone

PinkiePirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PinkiePirate

@Zlurodirom said:

I don't know why but I really really like the look of this phone. Do we have any idea what the specs might be?

Snapdragon 800 @ 2.3 Ghz

4.95" 1080p IPS Display

2GB Ram

8MP Camera with Optical Image Stabilization

Android 4.4 Kitkat

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fightingfan

@mystic_knight said:

Hmmm do i want to sell my HTC one or not... This is a darn good phone

The only feature I say I like about your phone is the speakers. I hate my Nexus 4 speaker being on the back.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NVIDIATI

It would appear 30,000 Nexus 5's are at a warehouse in Canada: Link

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

Wind Mobile's (Canadian provider) Nexus 5 registration page was posted briefly on their Facebook page: Link

As well, it also listed the full specifications (not much of a mystery):

• Screen: 4.95-inch 1920×1080 display (445 ppi) Corning Gorilla Glass 3
  • Cameras: 1.3MP front facing 8MP rear facing OIS
  • Weight: 130 grams
  • Dimensions: 69.17 x 137.84 x 8.59 mm
  • Operating System: OS Android 4.4, KitKat
  • Chip Set: 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
  • Wi-Fi (2.4G/5G) 802.11 a/b/g/n/ncNFC (Android Beam) / Bluetooth 4.0
  • Storage / Memory / Ram: 16GB or 32GB internal storage 2GB RAM
  • Ports & Connectors: microUSB, SlimPort enabled, 3.5mm stereo audio jack, Dual microphones, Ceramic power and volume buttons
gigatrainer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gigatrainer
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

Day one buy. Period.

Zlurodirom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Zlurodirom
Member since 2006 • 1281 Posts
@PinkiePirate said:

@Zlurodirom said:

Snapdragon 800 @ 2.3 Ghz

4.95" 1080p IPS Display

2GB Ram

8MP Camera with Optical Image Stabilization

Android 4.4 Kitkat

Those are pretty good specs.

I had never heard of "Google Now" until a week ago. I did not realize how far google has come on the voice search department. Has it really surpassed Siri so quickly? It makes me sad I don't have access to some of those pretty amazing features (android 2.3). I started reading about the Moto x and the always listening feature, and if the Nexus 5 has it, that would be pretty great. If only I wasn't on Verizon I would very likely be checking this out for my overdue upgrade.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Got the phone a few days ago (ordered it 15mins after release), loving it

Sefrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#17 Sefrix
Member since 2011 • 1499 Posts

I was going to go with the HTC ONE Play Edition but the N5 will just look too good next to my N7.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mystic_knight

Got the phone 5 days ago.

Impressions in comparison to my HTC One.

Screen HTC One wins. - Colours on the HTC One more natural, screen does not look washed out in comparison

Audio - HTC One wins - With a better DAC/amplifier and stereo front facing speakers, The HTC one is one hell of an Audio phone.

Camera - HTC One wins - Photo's turned out better in most cases. OIS seems more stabilised on the htc one with less blur in most cases. The colours again appear more natural in photo's on the HTC one

Battery life - HTC one wins - 4.2 has seen a bit of a drain on the HTC one, but it still manages to out pace the nexus 5 in stamina. Also if you have the google play edition of HTC one the battery life is even better with 4.3

Power - Nexus 5 wins - snapdragon 600 could not match up to anything the nexus 5 outputs utilising the snapdragon 800. Dead trigger 2 loaded faster, had less fram rate issues and performed flawlessly in most usability tests

Software - (if stock htc one) Draw (if sense) Nexus 5. The google play edition still has jelly bean but is due to get kit kat by the end of the month. This is ultimately personal preference, i like my sense rom. But having played with the google play edition and the nexus 5 i can see the appeal of the vanilla software.

Right now i still think the HTC one is the best Android phone out there. The nexus 5 could have been so much more.

I think there is a camera fix coming out in 4.4.1 so hopefully it will fix the washed out colours/textures of the Nexus 5.

The only other competitor to the HTC One IMO would be the LG G2 and that is if you can tolerate the switches on the back.

But for those who want an authentic google experience The nexus device is the way to go.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

Screen HTC One wins. - Colours on the HTC One more natural, screen does not look washed out in comparison

Audio - HTC One wins - With a better DAC/amplifier and stereo front facing speakers, The HTC one is one hell of an Audio phone.

Camera - HTC One wins - Photo's turned out better in most cases. OIS seems more stabilised on the htc one with less blur in most cases. The colours again appear more natural in photo's on the HTC one

Battery life - HTC one wins - 4.2 has seen a bit of a drain on the HTC one, but it still manages to out pace the nexus 5 in stamina. Also if you have the google play edition of HTC one the battery life is even better with 4.3

Power - Nexus 5 wins - snapdragon 600 could not match up to anything the nexus 5 outputs utilising the snapdragon 800. Dead trigger 2 loaded faster, had less fram rate issues and performed flawlessly in most usability tests

Software - (if stock htc one) Draw (if sense) Nexus 5. The google play edition still has jelly bean but is due to get kit kat by the end of the month. This is ultimately personal preference, i like my sense rom. But having played with the google play edition and the nexus 5 i can see the appeal of the vanilla software.

Right now i still think the HTC one is the best Android phone out there. The nexus 5 could have been so much more.

I think there is a camera fix coming out in 4.4.1 so hopefully it will fix the washed out colours/textures of the Nexus 5.

The only other competitor to the HTC One IMO would be the LG G2 and that is if you can tolerate the switches on the back.

But for those who want an authentic google experience The nexus device is the way to go.

You want more from a phone that's sold for half it's competitors price?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mystic_knight
@chaplainDMK said:

@mystic_knight said:

Not necessarily, but the shortcomings were noticeable. Unfortunately the screen really is a bit of a let down, it is very washed out which really is a detriment to the phone, and that camera is near unusable when the competition is so great. The camera may get fixed but the screen you will have to just live with.

It surprises me that LG ditched on the screen especially since they are the market leaders in this area. Its one thing i expected for it to be better than the competition

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

The screen is great. I compared it with a friend's GS4 and prefered the nexus. GS4 was too saturated and unnatural.

I'm also finding the camera to be fine. If I wanted better I'd use a real camera.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@mystic_knight said:
@chaplainDMK said:

@mystic_knight said:

Not necessarily, but the shortcomings were noticeable. Unfortunately the screen really is a bit of a let down, it is very washed out which really is a detriment to the phone, and that camera is near unusable when the competition is so great. The camera may get fixed but the screen you will have to just live with.

It surprises me that LG ditched on the screen especially since they are the market leaders in this area. Its one thing i expected for it to be better than the competition

Odd, everyone is generally praising the screen. It's a LCD so maybe you're used to the blown up AMOLED colors?

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 jamesh-42
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

I've been pretty happy with the screen on my Nexus 5.

I've only done a few tests with the camera, but the new HDR+ mode seems a bit hit and miss. It does a good job of cutting down the glare from shots of water, but doesn't always bring out dark areas of the photo. In other cases, it looks like it just oversaturated the image without actually improving anything.