S3/4 or Maxx HD?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

I'm do for an upgrade now and I would really like to get a new phone asap. I currently have a Galaxy S and I'm really torn on which phone I should ultimatley get. The maxx HD only draw for me is the awesome battery life which would be awesome and very nice to have. I'm always paranoid of running out of battery and charge my current phone several times a day.

The S3 though is .1 inch more screen with 1gb extra ram over the HD. I think it also may be better at taking photos, but im not sure.

Then of course the S4 which would be awesome, but the big negative would be waiting another 6-8 weeks and paying the premium price to get the phone.

So right now i'm kinda leaning S3 just because of the slight chance it will be more futureproof than the HD and probably cheaper now with 4 coming out.

Pretty much anything right now would be a massive improvement over my current phone.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
I'd get the s4. If you are due for an upgrade you get the big discount. Samsung is also releasing an official controller dock that doesn't look that bad.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kurushio
I'm already up for an upgrade but even then the 16gb will be at least $200-250 whereas the others should be about $100 less than that. Not to mention it depends on when verizon gets it in stock and i'm not going to be one of those people that wait in huge lines to get it either.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

Have you thought about the Droid DNA? I'm not on Verizon so I don't really know a lot about those Droid exclusive phone's but Review's say the DNA is the best Verizon offering at the moment.

Looking at Bestbuy.com The upgrade price for the DNA is also cheaper than the Razr Maxx at 150$ Vs 199$ Galaxy S3 being 99$ 

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Nexus 4?

TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwistedShade

Nexus 4?

NVIDIATI

At 300$ That's hardly a cheap option, and you'll likely need atleast the 350$ version.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
Maxx HD. Not many devices have the stamina that phone has.. Plus its more premium feeling and better built. But support wise the s3 is the one to go to.
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Nexus 4?

TwistedShade

At 300$ That's hardly a cheap option, and you'll likely need atleast the 350$ version.

Unlocked + off-contract, versus paying a little less and extending your contract 2 more years.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kurushio
I like to put a lot of video and music on it so i dont have to carry 2 devices so having a phone with a micro sd slot is kinda a must as well. They all have pluses and negatives. Obviously the S4 is the best, but im just not sure if it is worth the wait and the inevitable growing pains that the new phone will have with all the new tech jammed into it. I'm sure i wont even use half the features of the camera though they are interesting. I'm just not sure on how the maxx HD's camera stacks to the S3 or the software that is on it. If it can run pretty much any program as well then i guess i might as well go with the big battery.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TwistedShade

[QUOTE="TwistedShade"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Nexus 4?

NVIDIATI

Unlocked + off-contract, versus paying a little less and extending your contract 2 more years.

Being Unlocked and off contract hardly matters if he still sticks to Verizon. I don't think we save any money on our Contract with AT&T Regardless if we're locked in or not.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kurushio
Where i live Verizon is pretty much the only carrier that has good and reliable service. Wouldnt mind going to one of those no contract unlimited everything phones, but i also like to actually use the phone. Even still i guess i could find one on craigslist, but for the most part unless someone has in depth knowledge i dont, it seems like these are the about the best choices for a new phone. Either i can get a deal on some very popular and just slightly out of date phones, or i wait to get the latest and greatest. I really havent heard many great things about DNA and i have no idea how good it's battery, software, and camera are.
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TwistedShade

Where i live Verizon is pretty much the only carrier that has good and reliable service. Wouldnt mind going to one of those no contract unlimited everything phones, but i also like to actually use the phone. Even still i guess i could find one on craigslist, but for the most part unless someone has in depth knowledge i dont, it seems like these are the about the best choices for a new phone. Either i can get a deal on some very popular and just slightly out of date phones, or i wait to get the latest and greatest. I really havent heard many great things about DNA and i have no idea how good it's battery, software, and camera are.Kurushio
I would go to the store and just look at and tinker with the S3 and Razr Maxx HD, and see which one's UI you prefer. They both offer completely different experiences and it'll probably help you make up your own mind faster. If you don't like the S3's Touchwiz UI than you won't like the S4. I vote for the Razr Maxx HD, one of the things I regret with my S2 is how poor the battery has become since I use it so much. It's stuck on power saving mode just because it always feels drained.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="Kurushio"]Where i live Verizon is pretty much the only carrier that has good and reliable service. Wouldnt mind going to one of those no contract unlimited everything phones, but i also like to actually use the phone. Even still i guess i could find one on craigslist, but for the most part unless someone has in depth knowledge i dont, it seems like these are the about the best choices for a new phone. Either i can get a deal on some very popular and just slightly out of date phones, or i wait to get the latest and greatest. I really havent heard many great things about DNA and i have no idea how good it's battery, software, and camera are.TwistedShade

I would go to the store and just look at and tinker with the S3 and Razr Maxx HD, and see which one's UI you prefer. They both offer completely different experiences and it'll probably help you make up your own mind faster. If you don't like the S3's Touchwiz UI than you won't like the S4. I vote for the Razr Maxx HD, one of the things I regret with my S2 is how poor the battery has become since I use it so much. It's stuck on power saving mode just because it always feels drained.

Why buy and android phone for the UI? You can use a different launcher without even rooting.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Patience is a virtue. Be a kung fu assassin and use your extreme discipline to wait for the S4 which is only maybe a month/month and half away. Trust me, it will be worth it. You have already lasted this long with the original S, so one more month really isn't that long. You have it in you young padawan.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]I like to put a lot of video and music on it so i dont have to carry 2 devices so having a phone with a micro sd slot is kinda a must as well. They all have pluses and negatives. Obviously the S4 is the best, but im just not sure if it is worth the wait and the inevitable growing pains that the new phone will have with all the new tech jammed into it. I'm sure i wont even use half the features of the camera though they are interesting. I'm just not sure on how the maxx HD's camera stacks to the S3 or the software that is on it. If it can run pretty much any program as well then i guess i might as well go with the big battery.

I did not realize you are on verizon. Ignore my previous answer and go with the S3. It has significantly more lasting power than the Maxx. Motorola will ditch that device in a few months meanwhile the S3 should get all the necessary updates. Go S3. It is hands down better than the Maxx HD.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"][QUOTE="Kurushio"]I like to put a lot of video and music on it so i dont have to carry 2 devices so having a phone with a micro sd slot is kinda a must as well. They all have pluses and negatives. Obviously the S4 is the best, but im just not sure if it is worth the wait and the inevitable growing pains that the new phone will have with all the new tech jammed into it. I'm sure i wont even use half the features of the camera though they are interesting. I'm just not sure on how the maxx HD's camera stacks to the S3 or the software that is on it. If it can run pretty much any program as well then i guess i might as well go with the big battery.

I did not realize you are on verizon. Ignore my previous answer and go with the S3. It has significantly more lasting power than the Maxx. Motorola will ditch that device in a few months meanwhile the S3 should get all the necessary updates. Go S3. It is hands down better than the Maxx HD.

That's why I'd go with the S4. Samsung seems to update less than anybody else. It's this reason I stay away from iPhone. I bought an iPad 3 and am still on ios5.1 because I've read a lot of the updates for the apps I use lag on ios 6 because they now cater to the faster hardware.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kurushio
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"][QUOTE="Kurushio"] That's why I'd go with the S4. Samsung seems to update less than anybody else. It's this reason I stay away from iPhone. I bought an iPad 3 and am still on ios5.1 because I've read a lot of the updates for the apps I use lag on ios 6 because they now cater to the faster hardware.

[QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"][QUOTE="Kurushio"]I like to put a lot of video and music on it so i dont have to carry 2 devices so having a phone with a micro sd slot is kinda a must as well. They all have pluses and negatives. Obviously the S4 is the best, but im just not sure if it is worth the wait and the inevitable growing pains that the new phone will have with all the new tech jammed into it. I'm sure i wont even use half the features of the camera though they are interesting. I'm just not sure on how the maxx HD's camera stacks to the S3 or the software that is on it. If it can run pretty much any program as well then i guess i might as well go with the big battery.

If the S3 had a better battery it would be an easy choice. Even the S4 wont be as powerful as the Maxx. As for the updates i'm not so sure on that as the original max just got updated to jelly bean so i would imagine that the Maxx HD will still be supported for a while and im still on like 2.3 Gingerbread so 4.1 or 4.2 would be huge anyways. I really do just need to go into the store and get my hands on both to see for sure which i could live with.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#18 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

There is no point in considering the razr maxx for its battery when you can get this for the S3.

http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-extended-battery-galaxy-s3-pre-order-3000mah-40?style_mobile=0

And most certainly for S4 samsung will come up with something even bigger although at launch you will have to make do with the stock battery size.

ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

Hold off on any upgrades right now unless you just need it badly. Manufacturers have an annoying habit of releasing the next big thing only to release something else six months later. As far as the S4, sure it has nice specs, but I don't believe Android 4.2.2 can even take advantage of quad core processing let alone the app developers, not yet. And what will battery life be like anyway?

I'd hold off for a bit, just MHO.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kurushio

Hold off on any upgrades right now unless you just need it badly. Manufacturers have an annoying habit of releasing the next big thing only to release something else six months later. As far as the S4, sure it has nice specs, but I don't believe Android 4.2.2 can even take advantage of quad core processing let alone the app developers, not yet. And what will battery life be like anyway?

ZhugeL1ang
Well it's kinda like computer hardware in that respect. They are always going to release something better every several months or the prices will be reduced. From the prices i've seen it looks like the S3 is $100 and the Maxx HD is still $200. I guess for that much I might as well wait for the S4 and probably just get that so I wont have upgrade envy for quite a while. Quite a few of my friends and family already have the S3 and i'm not super keen on getting something that everyone else already has this late.
ZhugeL1ang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ZhugeL1ang
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

Well it's kinda like computer hardware in that respect. They are always going to release something better every several months or the prices will be reduced. From the prices i've seen it looks like the S3 is $100 and the Maxx HD is still $200. I guess for that much I might as well wait for the S4 and probably just get that so I wont have upgrade envy for quite a while. Quite a few of my friends and family already have the S3 and i'm not super keen on getting something that everyone else already has this late.Kurushio

You might also consider buying a S3 off contract as a stop-gap and saving your upgrade, if it's significant in terms of dollars that is.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kurushio
Any recent phone off contract is a huge price. The S2 might be feasible to do that, but i'd rather just upgrade now than wait for a maybe. I looked at the DNA, but with no expansion slot, it isnt worth it. More phones are doing away with it as well.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

ZhugeL1ang
There have been quad core phones for a while now. Android can use them fine. Modern CPUs are intelligent and can 'turn off' cores when they're not needed, so power consumption is barely effected by more cores. This is why we have multiple low clocked cores rather than one high clocked core. Similar to what happened on PC several years ago.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
[QUOTE="ZhugeL1ang"]

kraken2109
There have been quad core phones for a while now. Android can use them fine. Modern CPUs are intelligent and can 'turn off' cores when they're not needed, so power consumption is barely effected by more cores. This is why we have multiple low clocked cores rather than one high clocked core. Similar to what happened on PC several years ago.

I do think Key lime pie will optimize quad core technology even more. But you are right its handled quite well right now as it is.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#25 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I have a Razr and I like it.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="TwistedShade"]

[QUOTE="NVIDIATI"]

Nexus 4?

NVIDIATI

16gb for a high end phone without a microSD slot is a major letdown. If you can live with that its a great phone
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

ZhugeL1ang
well in the end you are gonna have to wait forever. If TC is coming of a single core phone circa 2010 the difference will be huge ( not just speed but camera quality new features etc ) . I upgrade to an S3 from S1 and totally worth it. I think for smartphones every 2-2,5 years are a good time to upgrade. Of course if he is coming from a decent dual core phone of 2011 like a galaxy s2 then yes waiting a bit more isnt a bad idea since by late 2013 galaxy S4/HTC one /Xperia Z/Lg optimus G will probably all get decent price cuts and google will release the new nexus phone
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kurushio
I think I'll wait another month for the S4. Since they don't want to drop the price on the Maxx HD, then i'll get something that beats nearly every feature, except for the battery of course, in spades.
7upCoolSpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 7upCoolSpot
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I totally would get the S4. It is an upgrade.
drift_shifter8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 drift_shifter8
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

S4 is a lot better. Just wait for it.