Roll Call - Android edition

• 89 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Hey guys i think its ideal to have a roll call here, just for random talks and discussion which don't seem fir for anywhere else.

I just wanna shout out that Telstra have finally announced our HTC One XL so ill be getting it on 6th of july and it comes with a free $279 beats solo headset.

Also luckily for us our One XL has 32gb of storage compared to the US 16gb so i can't wait till i get my hands on it... Finally!!!!!

Feel free discuss anything you wish but keep it friendly.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
Thinking about trying to convince my mom to let me use her upgrade so that I can get an Evo 4G LTE.. I'm not due again until next October, and I'm leaving for college in August, which is right around when she gets her upgrade. If not, I'm considering paying full retail price for it. I want it. :cry:
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="SoraX64"]Thinking about trying to convince my mom to let me use her upgrade so that I can get an Evo 4G LTE.. I'm not due again until next October, and I'm leaving for college in August, which is right around when she gets her upgrade. If not, I'm considering paying full retail price for it. I want it. :cry:

Thats a nice phone... i heard sprints network is less than desirable though.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SoraX64
Yeah, it sucks in the places that matter most to me: home and school. Thankfully at home I have decent connection speed through Wi-Fi, and my school offers Wi-Fi, although it is firewalled so I can't access many sites. Most other places I'm fine with service though. Still not too fast, but usable for most situations. I'm hoping Sprint's planned rollout for better 3G service goes well in my area, and that I'll be able to get LTE in Maryland when I head off to college.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mystic_knight
I held the galaxy s 3 and it actually feels and looks nicer than the photo's made me believe, it felt surprisingly durable... while it looks and feels nice, it doesn't have that special feel that the one x has.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

I thought my Galaxy Note was dying an early death as its battery wasn't lasting half a day. It turns out a battery monitoring app I purchased was actually the problem!:roll: The culprit is called "Battery" by Macropinch. It's too bad as it was an awesome app.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight
Android handles battery better than any task killer or battery management system. ICS gives detailed info on exactly what drains your battery. For example the One XL indicates 48% of my drain is originating from my screen alone. -_-' damn you 720p display being so damn awesome.... i'm sure your galaxy note suffers the same issue. Your screen is gargantuan.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mystic_knight
Im gonna join the apple crew for one week and abandon you guys for one week, need to learn how to use the iPhone
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SoraX64
Android handles battery better than any task killer or battery management system. ICS gives detailed info on exactly what drains your battery. For example the One XL indicates 48% of my drain is originating from my screen alone. -_-' damn you 720p display being so damn awesome.... i'm sure your galaxy note suffers the same issue. Your screen is gargantuan.mystic_knight
It's like that for every phone I've ever used. The screen is just the biggest power draw.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
Purchased an Xperia Play a few weeks ago. Love it as a gaming platform. Kind of disappointed Sony canceled the ICS update for the phone, but I use it mainly for gaming and of course calls and texting, so I don't really mind.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mjc  Moderator
Purchased an Xperia Play a few weeks ago. Love it as a gaming platform. Kind of disappointed Sony canceled the ICS update for the phone, but I use it mainly for gaming and of course calls and texting, so I don't really mind.Soulreavercross
I love the PSP Go and always had an interest in getting the Xperia Play. Has the range of available PS1 titles improved since it was first released?
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mystic_knight
I know the sony tablet s still has a poor range, its as if Sony advertised for that specific reason, then disbanded its commitment to provide more. Best game on store was wild arms.
Avatar image for Soulreavercross
Soulreavercross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Soulreavercross
Member since 2003 • 19890 Posts
[QUOTE="Soulreavercross"]Purchased an Xperia Play a few weeks ago. Love it as a gaming platform. Kind of disappointed Sony canceled the ICS update for the phone, but I use it mainly for gaming and of course calls and texting, so I don't really mind.mjc
I love the PSP Go and always had an interest in getting the Xperia Play. Has the range of available PS1 titles improved since it was first released?

Actually the Playstation marketplace for the PSone games is region locked and I cannot access it from my location. The Xperia Play marketplace is accessible but limited at my location again. That marketplace contains android games custom made to use the Xperia Play control pad. It doesn't matter either way. The phone's an emulation machine and I'm using it for legal emulation of games.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#14 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Rooted my nexus S today. :D

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gambler_3

OMGGGG voodoo sound is AMAZING!!!!!

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight

Rooted my nexus S today. :D

Gambler_3
WELCOME TO THE AWESOME SIDE. Seriously Its pretty powerful once rooted, superuser features are brilliant. On top of that its always supported ;)
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mjc  Moderator

In both cases when I purchased my Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note, I was told ICS is just around the corner. However, there's still no news about its official release and people who are upgrading on their own are claiming their device is lagging bad. If the official release isn't out soon and doesn't work well, it'll no doubt further segment the Android OS market.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mystic_knight

In both cases when I purchased my Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Galaxy Note, I was told ICS is just around the corner. However, there's still no news about its official release and people who are upgrading on their own are claiming their device is lagging bad. If the official release isn't out soon and doesn't work well, it'll no doubt further segment the Android OS market.

mjc
Galaxy Note ICS should be out soon apparently samsung are nearly done with the update and will hand it to vodafone locally in the near future, but the stupid Tab 7.7 was indefinitely delayed. Darn thing is still the best tablet available on android IMO.I suppose the launch of the galaxy s 3 has been holding them back
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Gambler_3

It continues to appal me how samsung handles the updates, a company making billions surely can deploy more resources to have their products updated faster. :|

WELCOME TO THE AWESOME SIDE. Seriously Its pretty powerful once rooted, superuser features are brilliant. On top of that its always supported ;)mystic_knight
Yes am loving it. :)

touchmenot55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 touchmenot55
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

It continues to appal me how samsung handles the updates, a company making billions surely can deploy more resources to have their products updated faster. :|

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]WELCOME TO THE AWESOME SIDE. Seriously Its pretty powerful once rooted, superuser features are brilliant. On top of that its always supported ;)Gambler_3

Welcome to the club. I have given up on updates for my old Galaxy SL. I got a Galaxy Tab, thinking it was more popular so it would get updates, but then they shot me down by saying they won't update it. If they didn't make quality phones, I would ditch them already
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]WELCOME TO THE AWESOME SIDE. Seriously Its pretty powerful once rooted, superuser features are brilliant. On top of that its always supported ;)touchmenot55

Welcome to the club. I have given up on updates for my old Galaxy SL. I got a Galaxy Tab, thinking it was more popular so it would get updates, but then they shot me down by saying they won't update it. If they didn't make quality phones, I would ditch them already

I had the galaxy SL I was stuck on froyo for so long I gave up but it did eventually get gingerbread. Which galaxy tab are you talking about the original one? All others are getting ICS.

You should look into nexus products if you care most about updates.

touchmenot55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 touchmenot55
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I was talking about the original Galaxy tab. Anyways, I am on the Galaxy tab plus now. I know it's supposed to get an update, but they promised that about 3 months ago. Still no new word about it. I am starting to give up on it too. I should have waited for the Galaxy tab 2. (You can probably guess I have a thing for big phones) I would get the Nexus 7, but i heard that it won't have phone functionality. Not even an option. So I'm waiting out. Hoping they will keep their promise about the Gtab plus.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjc  Moderator

ICS is finally available for the Galaxy Tab 7.7!!! Update it through Kies.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mystic_knight
Finally LOL. Why through Kies though -_-' stupid PC update. My dads xperia neo had to update via PC too. My HTC's have always been OTA.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mjc  Moderator
Finally LOL. Why through Kies though -_-' stupid PC update. My dads xperia neo had to update via PC too. My HTC's have always been OTA.mystic_knight
Not sure, but they said no OTA for me. Kies is a bit of a pain as well. It took me two times just to install it due to a Java issue and I can't seem to get it to connect to the Galaxy Note yet :?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

Samsung just posted a profit of $6 billion for Q2 2012. They really need just one more big product apart from smartphones and they can reach apple level of profits, currently they are earning 70% of the profits from the mobile devision. Samsung continues to cut into apple dominance on the mobile industry profits, thats good for competition.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mystic_knight
HTC's profits have dropped a fair bit, :( their One strategy is not going too well :(. Shame too because the one xl is a killer device. The one s ain't too bad either.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Gambler_3

One XL is good for you most of the world only gets 16GB storage with only 12GB usable. HTC failed to capitalize on the desire brand, poor marketing decision to scrap the desire branding as the top HTC brand. The original desire and desire HD are still the most recognised HTC phones.

Anyways it is still $250 million profit which is better than being at a loss eh which all other android OEMs are currently in the likes of sony, motorola and LG.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Ok, this might be a dumb question but I'm fixated on this issue of Nexus 7 not having expandable memory. I did notice that it has Micro USB. If I use a Micro USB adapter to USB, then a USB to Micro SD.... would that work? I know, it'd probably look silly with a dangling tail though.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mystic_knight
Ok, this might be a dumb question but I'm fixated on this issue of Nexus 7 not having expandable memory. I did notice that it has Micro USB. If I use a Micro USB adapter to USB, then a USB to Micro SD.... would that work? I know, it'd probably look silly with a dangling tail though.flipin_jackass
Whats wrong with keeping it as a micro usb -> USb and having USB flash storage? BTW i'm not sure if it will work
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjc  Moderator
Ok, this might be a dumb question but I'm fixated on this issue of Nexus 7 not having expandable memory. I did notice that it has Micro USB. If I use a Micro USB adapter to USB, then a USB to Micro SD.... would that work? I know, it'd probably look silly with a dangling tail though.flipin_jackass
Perhaps you should check out the Galaxy Tab or another 7" tablet that would better suit your needs? If it bugs you now, it'll probably be worse once you're actually using it.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 flipin_jackass

Whats wrong with keeping it as a micro usb -> USb and having USB flash storage? BTW i'm not sure if it will workmystic_knight
That would actually do too. Something tells me the OS will only interact with the USB when there's some sort of driver installed on the other end. I should try it with my phone.
Perhaps you should check out the Galaxy Tab or another 7" tablet that would better suit your needs? If it bugs you now, it'll probably be worse once you're actually using it.mjc
Yeah I know, but dat quad core.... if I get, say, the Galaxy Tab, then it'd be the otherway, I'd get mad b/c it doesn't have quad core. I can't win with myself, as you can see. :P

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mjc  Moderator

Google Nexus 7 has been shipped! :D

LrEGON

Has anyone else's?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mystic_knight

LrEGON

Has anyone else's?

mjc
Aww thats so cool. Hope its worth the wait!!! Let us know how jelly bean performs.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 flipin_jackass

LrEGON

Has anyone else's?

mjc

No :( I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy and it gets shipped Aug 10 (here in Canada, if that makes a difference). :cry:

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjc  Moderator

[QUOTE="mjc"]

LrEGON

Has anyone else's?

flipin_jackass

No :( I pre-ordered mine from Best Buy and it gets shipped Aug 10 (here in Canada, if that makes a difference). :cry:

Bugger :( This was (obviously) direct from Google and it looks like it's being shipped from Hong Kong. It says 2 days to Australia, so hopefully here before the end of the week.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mjc  Moderator

[QUOTE="mjc"]

Has anyone else's?

mystic_knight

Aww thats so cool. Hope its worth the wait!!! Let us know how jelly bean performs.

It's a nice device and it runs very well, but I think I've been spoilt by the super screens on the Galaxy Tab 7.7 and new iPad. This one definately looks budget.

Q70Sk9

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gambler_3

Just got jelly bean on nexus S, I am loving it everything is faster now.:D

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mystic_knight
The screen looks far superior on the G Tab. I think id still prefer the G Tab personally. On another note i returned my One Xl. Had a dead pixel, power switch was faulty and wifi continues disconnecting. I bought a temp phone til the One XXL is released end of the year. Huawei Ascend G300 :cry: i was so spoilt with the best, now i have a bottom tier phone... Its similar spec'd to the original desire. Unfortunately i gave my Desire HD to my sisters boyfriend :(.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mystic_knight
LOL google acquires sparrow
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gambler_3

I bought a temp phone til the One XXL is released end of the year. mystic_knight
Why wont you just get the nexus...

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]I bought a temp phone til the One XXL is released end of the year. Gambler_3

Sub Par....?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]I bought a temp phone til the One XXL is released end of the year. mystic_knight

Sub Par....?

I am talking about the new nexus which will most certainly come at around the same time as you are waiting till.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mystic_knight
I'll check it out if it comes with quad core krait i will get it. Just to make you happy Gambler :P
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gambler_3

I'll check it out if it comes with quad core krait i will get it. Just to make you happy Gambler :Pmystic_knight
Haha.:D

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mystic_knight
I just rooted the Huawei ascend g300 and added clockwork mod :P I rooted this phone within 2 days, i had the one xl for 2 months and i never touched it lol.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
I got a Galaxy S3 on Friday. I wanted it when it came out, but when I tried it out at the VZW store, I hated it. I kept hitting the capacitive buttons, and the screen was really dim even after I messed with the brightness. It turns out the first time I tried it, it was a combination of bad lighting in the VZW store, and there were like three options for the screen in the browser, so even when I turned it all the way up, because of the option it was on it was still dim. So I had the intention of getting a Droid INC4G instead, despite the tiny screen. Well, people here convinced me to try the GS3 some more, and boy I am glad I did. The screen wasn't pixelated at all, and it was beautiful. I came from a Droid X/X2, the latter which was REALLY bad as far as lag and screen quality goes. That is why I was so hesitant to get a GS3 because I knew it used pentile. The fact that it was a motorola screen is pretty much why the Droid X2 sucked so bad. Motorola screens are just garbage. I bought an original Incredible which I used for a week, and the screen was good quality, but it was just too small. I'm loving the GS3. I got the blue one because, even though I enjoy white gadgets, the white used on the GS3 looks pretty bad. I thought the blue looked really cool, not sure why people say it looks purple. It looks metallic. And I feel like the blue enhances the screen more than white does. Even though I hate how samsung uses that glossy plastic, it is really nice feeling on the GS3. It just feels great, unlike past samsung devices. I tried the Nexus, but the plastic on that felt flat out terrible. I used the DINC4G, and I thought because of pictures, that it would have soft touch plastic, but it didn't feel like that. The lines on the back really hampered the feel of it, which stinks because the soft touch on the original incredible feels great. The DINC4G screen was sharp, but it was just too small for my giant hands. I love HTC Sense, and Beats Audio would have been great, but ultimately I'd rather wait for a bigger HTC device. I know I already said this, but I LOVE the design of the GS3, and the Pebble Blue is beautiful. I went for the 32 GB because I ripped some DVDs and have 13 GBs of music, and unlike apple who charges over $100 more, it was only $50 more, so it was a no brainer. Unfortunately I now only have 2 GB a month for 4g, so I'll have to stick with wifi most of the time, which sucks if I have to go on a road trip and want to watch netflix. :/ If I had one complaint, it would be that the physical buttons (home, volume, power) are really mushy and feel fragile. I'm also scared that I am going to scratch the back of the device. I bought a screen protector, but I struggled putting it on, so I basically wasted $13. I wanted the flip cover, but Samsung is INSANE for charging $40 for it. The music app sucks, so I will have to pay for power amp, and I will also be buying Beautiful widgets to get the HTC weather/clock widget. My battery has been really bad, so right now I tried a tip I read online that said to turn it off and charge it to 100%, so I am attempting that right now to see if it works. I've seen people get over a day, yet my phone dies after less than 8 hours. Something isn't right, because I listened to music for an hour and it went from like 58% to about 20%. I had a few glitches where the text under my apps turned into squares, but a reboot fixed that. I hope I don't have a lemon. :/ But overall, I want to thank the people here who convinced me to not go with the DINC4G. And the screen is NOT dim like I originally tried a few weeks ago, it is plenty bright, and no sign of the dreaded pentile! I Love this phone!!!!
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 flipin_jackass
Here's what I read:
I got a Galaxy S3 on Friday..... I Love this phone!!!! TonyDanzaFan
:P Glad to hear you're enjoying your phone.
TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Here's what I read: [QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"]I got a Galaxy S3 on Friday..... I Love this phone!!!! flipin_jackass

Lol. Only problem is that my battery is having severe problems. I have done every tip I have read to do, and it still doesn't work. Thirty minutes after charging to 100% and it's already down to 94%. Something is up. :/
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mjc  Moderator
[QUOTE="flipin_jackass"]Here's what I read: [QUOTE="TonyDanzaFan"]I got a Galaxy S3 on Friday..... I Love this phone!!!! TonyDanzaFan

Lol. Only problem is that my battery is having severe problems. I have done every tip I have read to do, and it still doesn't work. Thirty minutes after charging to 100% and it's already down to 94%. Something is up. :/

Under Battery Usage, which process is shown as chewing your battery the most?