New Droid Razr! So Soon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

A new droid razer codenamed droid razr maxxis now in verizon's listing. A little soon after the original, my guess is they are upping the screen to a 720p display as it seems the current standard. a nice phone to look forward to. the current razr is amazing already.

But quad cores are far too close to invest in a potential dual core. what are your thoughts on this and what are your speculations on the modifications done to this phone.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#2 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

But quad cores are far too close to invest in a potential dual core.

mystic_knight

Well in the smartphone world there is ALWAYS something far too close so you may as well never get a phone. :P

Plus the tegra 3 is not an architectural jump, just more cores. Dont expect apps to be taking advantage of quad cores when they dont even need dual core, a tegra 3 only provides better multi-tasking nothing more. An architectural jump isnt happening that soon.

I see quad core as useful for a tablet, not so much for a phone to be honest.

And as for the topic I really dont like this trend of the "weekly best phone" :?, the companies really need to keep a non-complicated porfolio of smartphones. These sort of revisions only confuse the consumer.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]

But quad cores are far too close to invest in a potential dual core.

Gambler_3

Well in the smartphone world there is ALWAYS something far too close so you may as well never get a phone. :P

Plus the tegra 3 is not an architectural jump, just more cores. Dont expect apps to be taking advantage of quad cores when they dont even need dual core, a tegra 3 only provides better multi-tasking nothing more. An architectural jump isnt happening that soon.

I see quad core as useful for a tablet, not so much for a phone to be honest.

And as for the topic I really dont like this trend of the "weekly best phone" :?, the companies really need to keep a non-complicated porfolio of smartphones. These sort of revisions only confuse the consumer.

Definitely agree on all aspects. I think the new exynos processor or the cortex a15 inside that beast will be interesting. Since i still have the single greatest single core handset available, i am waiting on something amazing to come out, ill skip dual core and jump on quad core or i might get something that utilises the cortex a15 chip. HTC actually were the ones to start this terrible trend of "weekly best phone" stupid idea but got a good phone out of it :P
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts
It's probably been redesigned to run ICS more efficiently.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

It's basically the Chinese Razr, it has a 720p screen and 13mp camera. And I want to say the battery is a little bigger to accomadate the screen, but I could be wrong. Can't remember where I saw this info, but it's not made up (by me anyway)

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Gambler_3

Since i still have the single greatest single core handset availablemystic_knight
Nexus S says hi. :o

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Since i still have the single greatest single core handset availableGambler_3

Hahaha your jokes are awesome man :x (in your dreams its better :P)
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Since i still have the single greatest single core handset availablemystic_knight

Hardware wise there is not much of a contest to be honest. :P

Even in the HTC camp the incredible S is better than desire HD. :)

*runs away*

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Nexus S says hi. :o

Gambler_3

Hardware wise there is not much of a contest to be honest. :P

Even in the HTC camp the incredible S is better than desire HD. :)

*runs away*

See that little toy car chasing you... its got an artillery built in there to hunt you down. :P If my desire HD was so bad they wouldn't officially be releasing sense 3.0 ( n.b. this was only available to top tier phones due to hardware constraints) on it, sense 3.5 is lighter on the pohones and a little prettier with animations hence why i got it on my DHD, but none the less, it would still work beautifully. Also desire hd is one of the first phones getting Custom UI treatment from developers.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gambler_3

See that little toy car chasing you... its got an artillery built in there to hunt you down. :P If my desire HD was so bad they wouldn't officially be releasing sense 3.0 ( n.b. this was only available to top tier phones due to hardware constraints) on it, sense 3.5 is lighter on the pohones and a little prettier with animations hence why i got it on my DHD, but none the less, it would still work beautifully. Also desire hd is one of the first phones getting Custom UI treatment from developers.mystic_knight
Not that your phone is bad by any means but there are certainly more capable single core phones like the nexus S, xperia arc S and a few others.

Desire HD had really good processing power for it's time and it still holds well today but it's display is really average and so is the camera despite being 8 megapixels on paper.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]See that little toy car chasing you... its got an artillery built in there to hunt you down. :P If my desire HD was so bad they wouldn't officially be releasing sense 3.0 ( n.b. this was only available to top tier phones due to hardware constraints) on it, sense 3.5 is lighter on the pohones and a little prettier with animations hence why i got it on my DHD, but none the less, it would still work beautifully. Also desire hd is one of the first phones getting Custom UI treatment from developers.Gambler_3

Not that your phone is bad by any means but there are certainly more capable single core phones like the nexus S, xperia arc S and a few others.

Desire HD had really good processing power for it's time and it still holds well today but it's display is really average and so is the camera despite being 8 megapixels on paper.

Yes I know :cry: im just overhyping my phone till i get a quad core or something with an A15 cpu chipset. I did overclock my desire HD to 1.5ghz so in theory its better than the others :P my quadrant scores are >2100

I don't know if this new droid will be worth it though, im hoping its something amazing.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

really...what is the point of dual and quads in phones expect for better games? do they serve any other purpose? Windows phone 7 says "hi, k thnx, bai!" to dual cores (it to, does not see the point).

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

really...what is the point of dual and quads in phones expect for better games? do they serve any other purpose? Windows phone 7 says "hi, k thnx, bai!" to dual cores (it to, does not see the point).

kungfool69

1080p video recording.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

It's going to be marketed as the Droid X3.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

Gambler_3

1080p video recording.

Is that true? My old SE Vivaz with it's single core 720 mhz CPU could record in 720p. I doubt 1080p is that much more demanding.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="kungfool69"]

UssjTrunks

1080p video recording.

Is that true? My old SE Vivaz with it's single core 720 mhz CPU could record in 720p. I doubt 1080p is that much more demanding.

1080p is twice the resolution man. Be it games, movies or anything 1080p is much more demanding.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

I got one, glad I held off on the Razr, only real difference from what I've seen it doesn't have as large of a camera bump on the back and a better battery.