Galaxy Nexus Disappointing Battery Life

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I have an upgrade in April and I've been heavily looking into upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus. I've had not so great experience with my Droid 2 by Motorola so I'm steering completely clear of Motorola this time around. I just can't handle how terribly my battery life is. I can't even get a full day's use with moderate usage. I'm hoping the Galaxy Nexus would be better.

However, I've read that the Galaxy Nexus does not fair too well with battery life. This has pretty much completely turned me off from the Galaxy Nexus and possibly Android phones in general. My fiancee just got an iPhone 4S and there are things I like about it (especially battery life), but there are definitely things I do not like.

I prefer Android phones, but I'm not going to keep my phone tethered to a charger constantly just to stay Android. Is there any Android phone out there that will satisfy me?

TL;DR Are there any good Android phones with good battery life?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

I have an upgrade in April and I've been heavily looking into upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus. I've had not so great experience with my Droid 2 by Motorola so I'm steering completely clear of Motorola this time around. I just can't handle how terribly my battery life is. I can't even get a full day's use with moderate usage. I'm hoping the Galaxy Nexus would be better.

However, I've read that the Galaxy Nexus does not fair too well with battery life. This has pretty much completely turned me off from the Galaxy Nexus and possibly Android phones in general. My fiancee just got an iPhone 4S and there are things I like about it (especially battery life), but there are definitely things I do not like.

I prefer Android phones, but I'm not going to keep my phone tethered to a charger constantly just to stay Android. Is there any Android phone out there that will satisfy me?

Cwagmire21
Droid RAZR MAXX should have longer battery life than the iPhone 4S. It states it has 21 hours of talk time, in comparison the 4S has 9 hours. The difference being iOS handles standby a little more conservatively than android but with an increased battery size it should be able to withstand lengthy periods.
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

mystic_knight

Droid RAZR MAXX should have longer battery life than the iPhone 4S. It states it has 21 hours of talk time, in comparison the 4S has 9 hours. The difference being iOS handles standby a little more conservatively than android but with an increased battery size it should be able to withstand lengthy periods.

I appreciate the advice, but I'd rather stay away from Motorola as I do not like my Droid 2 very much.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
My GNex is pretty wildly inconsistent with battery life. It seems like if I'm getting hammered with e-mail/calendar updates from work my battery can die completely in 6 hours, but on a quiet day (or weekend) it'll make it through the day with 60% left. Haven't really gotten a handle on what's up. I came from a rooted OG droid with the Droid 2's extended battery... that thing had amazing battery life, it'd go through maybe 30% in a full day of decently hard use. :(
killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

I got a galaxy nexus with the extended battery i get 15 hours just fine

killblade37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killblade37
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

I should also note that im rooted haha

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

I hear android 4.0.4 is having some soak testing done right now, and I believe one of the fixes is battery life

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

I appreciate the advice, but I'd rather stay away from Motorola as I do not like my Droid 2 very much.

Fair enough, I suppose i would be the same too, see how the 4.0.4 fairs and if that fixes the battery issue it might be worth it.. Gingerbread did a great job over froyo with battery so Google know what they are doing.
hostX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 hostX9
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts

For more intel on which phone has a better battery life I suggest you go to XDA-Developers and look for some answers but in general I have to disappoint you because almost all Android phones lack good battery life. This is due to the lack of battery technology. We have AMOLED screens all up to 4.7'' and more plus Dual Core processors, Graphic CPU etc. Yes with such powerful hardware it's very simple to expect a higher battery drainage. Li-Ion battery technology dates back to 1991 (First commercial release) yet our hardware in the newest phones date to 2011/2012 including displays. Our hardware is not ready yet for our batteries or the other way around.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
The official extended battery can fit behind the stock battery door, and my friend has been able to get a solid day's worth of moderate use out of it.
UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

The difference being iOS handles standby a little more conservatively than androidmystic_knight

An app like Juice Defender can greatly improve your standby battery life.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I fixed by battery problem by buying two extra batteries off amazon for $40. I can go all day with heavy use all day without any issues now.
lamarwisneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lamarwisneski
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts

Now a days Samsung is on the top for touch screen..ANd the Samsung Galaxy is also very famous..I liked it very much..It has tremendous features..But I didn't use it ,So I don't have any knowledge regarding it's battery life...

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

Cwagmire21

What exactly about the droid 2 didn't you like besides battery life? You can't just condemn all product from a manufacturer given just one bad experience with them the Razr maxx is way more advanced and modern phone then the droid 2 and the battery life is the best you will find on a high speced smartphone. I'm using a motorolla phone myself(atrix 2) which I got about 2 months ago and am very content with it so far no complaints with the speed(smooth operation in the home screen and handles the lastest 3d games no problem) and stability of the phone(crashes and freezes are very rare) also the battery life is pretty good for me I can get several hours of constant heavy use and if I don't use it much the battery can easily last for over 24 hours altough I am using my phone without a data connection only wifi.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
[QUOTE="Makari"]My GNex is pretty wildly inconsistent with battery life. It seems like if I'm getting hammered with e-mail/calendar updates from work my battery can die completely in 6 hours, but on a quiet day (or weekend) it'll make it through the day with 60% left. Haven't really gotten a handle on what's up. I came from a rooted OG droid with the Droid 2's extended battery... that thing had amazing battery life, it'd go through maybe 30% in a full day of decently hard use. :(

Then why not buy an extended battery for the nexus? Not really fair to compare it the droid 1 battery life with an extended battery considering the screen and spec difference between the two.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ_Headshot"][QUOTE="Makari"]My GNex is pretty wildly inconsistent with battery life. It seems like if I'm getting hammered with e-mail/calendar updates from work my battery can die completely in 6 hours, but on a quiet day (or weekend) it'll make it through the day with 60% left. Haven't really gotten a handle on what's up. I came from a rooted OG droid with the Droid 2's extended battery... that thing had amazing battery life, it'd go through maybe 30% in a full day of decently hard use. :(

Then why not buy an extended battery for the nexus? Not really fair to compare it the droid 1 battery life with an extended battery considering the screen and spec difference between the two.

I've had an extended battery in this since day 1. And yeah, it's not fair. I wish there was a GNex with a 4" screen and just a 3g radio, not really caring about the resolution drop (though I suspect that'd basically be a Verizon'd SGS2 at that point). Basically this thing sips juice a heck of a lot faster than the old phone did. :)
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cwagmire21

[QUOTE="Cwagmire21"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] Droid RAZR MAXX should have longer battery life than the iPhone 4S. It states it has 21 hours of talk time, in comparison the 4S has 9 hours. The difference being iOS handles standby a little more conservatively than android but with an increased battery size it should be able to withstand lengthy periods.DJ_Headshot

What exactly about the droid 2 didn't you like besides battery life? You can't just condemn all product from a manufacturer given just one bad experience with them the Razr maxx is way more advanced and modern phone then the droid 2 and the battery life is the best you will find on a high speced smartphone. I'm using a motorolla phone myself(atrix 2) which I got about 2 months ago and am very content with it so far no complaints with the speed(smooth operation in the home screen and handles the lastest 3d games no problem) and stability of the phone(crashes and freezes are very rare) also the battery life is pretty good for me I can get several hours of constant heavy use and if I don't use it much the battery can easily last for over 24 hours altough I am using my phone without a data connection only wifi.

Motorola gives an impression that I've noticed more so than other phone developers of "make it and leave it." Granted, the D2 was lucky enough to receive the GB update, but I wish never gotten it. I have issues with 3G staying connected, ninja blur is ugly IMO, and even worse battery life just doesn't offset any of the positives.

Most people buy while on contract so that means most will have that same phone for two years and when you get crappy support after the first 3 months because the developer could is already moved onto the Droid 9 (exaggerating, I know) then I'd rather have a developer who will stick behind their product for those two years.

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

My Nexus' battery life is alright.

If I just have my phone with me all day, it will have about 60% left at the end of the day.

However if I use it, which I have it off my charger at 9AM and I use it until 1AM I usually get the low battery warning. I charge it for like 15 minutes before I go to sleep, and then for like two hours (where it usually says fully charged then) when I wake up. So the battery life isn't great, but with wifi off, 4g off, and screen brightness on automatic makes a HUGE difference. I was getting maybe 6 hours (without surfing, text messages, phone calls, or facebooking) before taking those tips.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mystic_knight

My Nexus' battery life is alright.

If I just have my phone with me all day, it will have about 60% left at the end of the day.

However if I use it, which I have it off my charger at 9AM and I use it until 1AM I usually get the low battery warning. I charge it for like 15 minutes before I go to sleep, and then for like two hours (where it usually says fully charged then) when I wake up. So the battery life isn't great, but with wifi off, 4g off, and screen brightness on automatic makes a HUGE difference. I was getting maybe 6 hours (without surfing, text messages, phone calls, or facebooking) before taking those tips.

verbtex
Take your screen off automatic and you will save more, leave it on about 40-60% brightness.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

You've gotta remember, most Android phones today are Bigger, Brighter, Faster than iPhone and also have 4G which takes its toll on battery life. I'd recommend an extended battery with the phone you choose. I have it with my Galaxy Nexus and I have no problem getting a full days use out of it. Thats heavy use by the way. Although, seeing as youre getting it in April, I'd wait to see what new phones come out by then. Theyre sure to be a lot better than the Gnex by then.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

The battery life is OK. It will be better than your Droid 2. Get the extended battery and it should last 10-15 hours.