best Android tablet under $250?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
First and foremost the price has to be under $300 with a price under $200 being the most ideal. i just wanna play music, watch movies, play games, download/share the same apps that i have on the market for my phone, i don't need 3G, decent speed so that web browsing is smooth and pages load quickly over wifi. are there any out there with HDMI and usb ports as well as sd card/memory slots? thanks :)
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

If you want to put some effort into it, and want a larger tablet, try to find a 16 or 32 gb HP touchpad. It runs WebOS but its so incredibly easy to put Ice Cream Sandwich its not even funny. Mines currently running alpha .6 and its basically flawless. The only problem is the camera, which I don't even use.

If you want a smaller tablet, and are again willing to put some work into it, Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. 200-250, and you can easily hack those guys and turn them into decent android tablets.

If you want to wait for a bit, Asus is releasing a 7inch tegra 3 tablet for 250 some time this year. Dat stylus makes it so tempting to me, I love those.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ZumaJones07
i guess loading android onto a cheaper tablet would suffice... but you're right, it'll take some work because i wouldn't know how to do that :P thanks
DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I would wait for the 7" transformer prime quad core tegra 3,8mp camrea,1280x800 resolution and only $250.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

if u want something right now, check out the prices of the Sony tablet S. they had a price drop to under $500 recently in australia, and that might translate to around $250US. even clearance Xooms if u can get them still. we were selling 32GB wifi for under $400AU (under $350 if u shop smart)

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I'd go with what was mentioned above about buying an HP touchpad and loading ICS onto it. There were piles of them when webOS was discontinued and suppliers dumped as much as they could for $100 retail. If that's not your thing, you're next best bet is probably a Kindle Fire which if you want it to properly act like a droid tablet will require some maintenance since the Amazon modded OS is very limiting. Beyond that, try and hunt down a Sony Tablet S for cheap or first version Transformer. Last Black Friday they were on sale at Best Buy for $250, some retailer might be listing them that low now that the Transformer Prime is out.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ZumaJones07
thanks everyone! :)
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts
if you are looking for an out of the box experience without having to unlock, root, and flash: the acer iconia tab a500 can frequently be found for less than $300 ditto for the htc flyer also check the acer iconia tab a100, i think the 8gb model is under the price cap ...and the lenovo a1 is under $250 i think, or right on it.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

If you want to put some effort into it, and want a larger tablet, try to find a 16 or 32 gb HP touchpad. It runs WebOS but its so incredibly easy to put Ice Cream Sandwich its not even funny. Mines currently running alpha .6 and its basically flawless. The only problem is the camera, which I don't even use.

If you want a smaller tablet, and are again willing to put some work into it, Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet. 200-250, and you can easily hack those guys and turn them into decent android tablets.

If you want to wait for a bit, Asus is releasing a 7inch tegra 3 tablet for 250 some time this year. Dat stylus makes it so tempting to me, I love those.

semianonymous

yeah i got my touch pad for $130 and it was def worth the money. Excellent tablet if support wasn't cut and the price had been cheaper t begin with but now it really is a great deal. Android does run quite well on it.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

The Kindle Fire. I have mine on ICS and clocked at 1.2ghz CPU/384mhz GPU and it's awesome, especially for only 200 bucks.

EBUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EBUniverse
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Kindle Fire
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZumaJones07
I ended up getting the HP Touchpad (unopened from Craigslist for only $180!) and I loaded Ice Cream Sandwich on it and it's freaking awesome! :cool:
davidpolanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 davidpolanski
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Hi guys Im thinking about buying "cheap" tablet from china. Prices is about 100 $ + free shipping (or dhl about 70$). Parameters is quite good. I would like to use tablet for: net browsing, external video player (connected with tv by hdmi cable), and as remote desktop. Did you have some experience with cheap tablets from china??? I can`t figure out if it`s worth buying (and wait 20-45 days free shipping method) this kind of tablet. Cpu 1,5ghz ARM10, gpu mali-400,ram 512mb ddr3, screen resolution 800x480. (i can`t insert the whole parametrs, getting html error sory).
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deleteduser198
Kindle Fire hands down would be the best Android tablet. The 400 and up range you may as well go with the new iPad if you're looking for top of the line hardware, otherwise you'd be spending a lot of money for much less performance.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZumaJones07
Kindle Fire hands down would be the best Android tablet. The 400 and up range you may as well go with the new iPad if you're looking for top of the line hardware, otherwise you'd be spending a lot of money for much less performance.Kid-Atari
i thought about it and was really really close to getting it, but the screen size is too small for me and the touchpad is near ipad size which is what i was looking for. if i had the $$$ i would get that ipad3, but i just need a smaller computer to read pdfs/slides and surf the net on campus.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts

Kindle Fire hands down would be the best Android tablet. The 400 and up range you may as well go with the new iPad if you're looking for top of the line hardware, otherwise you'd be spending a lot of money for much less performance.Kid-Atari
I am feeling a moderation coming, but I don't give a **** at this point. You do not have sufficient knowledge of android tablets, you admit exclusivity to apple. This is not the mobile gaming forum it used to be, if you want to talk about ipad vs android tablets, value or other relations between the two its system wars. In addition to this, this thread would only be open to other OS's if it was in system wars.

Now past that little rant, I think the hp touchpad was a good deal and a pretty good solution the hardware on it is definitely comparable to some mid-highend android tablets and will definitely take care of your needs. Since I have gotten more into using the functionality of android (for work purposes) feel free to post threads looking for good productivity apps. Me or someone else can definitely help you.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deleteduser198

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]Kindle Fire hands down would be the best Android tablet. The 400 and up range you may as well go with the new iPad if you're looking for top of the line hardware, otherwise you'd be spending a lot of money for much less performance.IvanElk

I am feeling a moderation coming, but I don't give a **** at this point. You do not have sufficient knowledge of android tablets, you admit exclusivity to apple. This is not the mobile gaming forum it used to be, if you want to talk about ipad vs android tablets, value or other relations between the two its system wars. In addition to this, this thread would only be open to other OS's if it was in system wars.

Now past that little rant, I think the hp touchpad was a good deal and a pretty good solution the hardware on it is definitely comparable to some mid-highend android tablets and will definitely take care of your needs. Since I have gotten more into using the functionality of android (for work purposes) feel free to post threads looking for good productivity apps. Me or someone else can definitely help you.

As an owner of a Droid phone I have every right to post in this forum as you do, and I've been given the grace to by the moderator as well. Your assumption that I'm Apple biased is your own problem to deal with. He asked for the best Android tablet at around $250, and for his specified use-scenario the Kindle Fire was the best recommendation I could make, which others have made as well. It's not my fault you assume every apple-device carrying person is a one-sided sheep. I'm what system-wars calls a "manticore."
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

[QUOTE="Kid-Atari"]Kindle Fire hands down would be the best Android tablet. The 400 and up range you may as well go with the new iPad if you're looking for top of the line hardware, otherwise you'd be spending a lot of money for much less performance.IvanElk

To be honest i agree with kid atari... The tablet scene android is not up to scratch yet, but you can get really good value from buying cheaper android tabs. Maybe and just maybe when samsung release the 11.6" tab the competition may start to arise. Don't get me wrong there are heaps of amazing tablets such as the transformer prime and the galaxy tab 7.7, but the support and the features of the iPad out weigh android tablets especially since you are spending similar amount. I do believe this year the competition will change and android will start to promote their tablet range, the concepts are improving such as the padfone--> tablet--> dock, Galaxy note and GPU's are upping the anti (can't wait to see the mali - t605)
annaflax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 annaflax
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
you can try this Acer Iconia Tab A100 (8GB). its price is $250
EBUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EBUniverse
I really cannot wait for Tablets to really take off and compete with the ipad because right now the ipad owns all. That said, the Touchpad is a good little machine for the $.
theru8543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theru8543
Member since 2009 • 94 Posts

Just wanted to add something again...I actually ended up gifting away my kindle fire, and buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (8gb) which goes for 250 at best buy...it has android 4.0 also btw, for that price i dont think ur gonna get anything any better, front and rear facing cameras, and also a micro sd slot. I love this tablet.

ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ZumaJones07

Just wanted to add something again...I actually ended up gifting away my kindle fire, and buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (8gb) which goes for 250 at best buy...it has android 4.0 also btw, for that price i dont think ur gonna get anything any better, front and rear facing cameras, and also a micro sd slot. I love this tablet.

theru8543
nice about the memory expansion and dual cameras, this touchpad i have feels outdated already. but it's still a good tablet. :P
Chrypt22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Chrypt22
Member since 2005 • 1387 Posts

If you have the money get the Asus Transformer Prime TF201... Its the sexiest thing since yoga pants.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Nexus 7

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#27 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

If you have the money get the Asus Transformer Prime TF201... Its the sexiest thing since yoga pants.

Chrypt22

It is not sexier than yoga pants...blasphemy...

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Love my Galaxy Tab 2...but I made a mistake as there is so much more available for that price with alot more power.

If I was to do it again I would probably go for the Nexus 7. Only reason I didnt was it only has a foward facing camera. Main reason I went for the GT2 was the IR Blaster. I love being able to replace all of my remote controls. But of course that keeps me from running prtty much any custom ROM, as none of them have support for the IR Blaster.

I wold say its between the Asus Transformer and the Nexus 7.

Nexus 7 is pretty much running the same ips screen as well as the Tegra 3 of the Transformer. But the Transformer has that awesome build quality and just looks plain sexy.

Pretty sure the Transformer also comes in higher memory configs as well.

Just don't do what I did. Do your research so you are not left wanting more.