musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

It's a complete annihilation. Apple is generations ahead of anyone else in the mobile world. There is no substitute for an iPhone.

And that single core performance...... wow.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Opening and closing dozens of apps within a few minutes has little to no relevance to the performance of a device. Comparing the actual performance of an application would be much more beneficial. For that matter, I don't see a test showing performance of two apps running side by side, something that would more likely occur in real world usage (of course that can't be done on an iPhone, so maybe not).

In terms of other features, the iPhone 7 doesn't have a display that comes anywhere close to whats on the Galaxy S8, and even its camera is behind. For day to day use, the display is a huge benefit, especially given the size of the device. There are also benefits for VR applications, something which is has been growing in the Android ecosystem.

Like previous Android devices with high resolution displays, Samsung allows the user to set the resolution they want. So if you want even greater performance, lower the resolution for an application to the same DPI as an iPhone.

Aside from the Galaxy, all of the other phones are using a Snapdragon 821, which is just an overclocked version of the Snapdragon 820 from early 2016, one would expect the A10 from late 2016 to outperform them.

I don't know why you're so impressed with single core performance, the design is inherently different on these SoCs which are used for different operating systems. It's been known, more smaller cores offer greater performance with respect to power consumption than less larger cores. This has been the direction Android has been moving in for years. Vulkan is an obvious example of that.

You also left out a huge crux of the A10. The massive throttling after about 10 minutes of use...

The A10 is still a great chip, but sensationalizing it with comments such as "Apple is generations ahead of anyone else in the mobile world", well that's just blatantly false, even for an exaggeration. All that does is just show your continued ignorance. I can't put the blame on you completely though, I'm sure you know very little about the hardware in these devices. You probably read some click-bait article and thought it would be a good idea to post it.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: I can see you're taking this very personally, calling me ignorant and all that. It's flattering that you still give me free rent inside your head.

Apple's flagship phone from last year is still ahead of this year's competition. It feels like the 7s/8 is practically unnecessary at this point. Apple could take a year off and still be fully competitive. Android as a whole performs poorly here, regardless of the hardware beneath it.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

My favorite part about samsung phones is how they explode.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 musicalmac  Moderator

@n64dd said:

Samesung is definitely the expert in the exploding phone field. That's one crown that they'll own for quite some time.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

@NVIDIATI: I can see you're taking this very personally, calling me ignorant and all that. It's flattering that you give me free rent inside your head.

Apple's flagship phone from last year is still ahead of this year's competition. It feels like the 7s/8 is practically unnecessary at this point. Apple could take a year off and still be fully competitive. Android as a whole performs poorly here, regardless of the hardware beneath it.

How is it ahead of the competition this year? Did you even bother reading my post? It's behind the Galaxy S8 in numerous ways.

Your comments show your ignorance, that's all on you.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI said:
@musicalmac said:

@NVIDIATI: I can see you're taking this very personally, calling me ignorant and all that. It's flattering that you give me free rent inside your head.

How is it ahead of the competition this year? Did you even bother reading my post? It's behind the Galaxy S8 in numerous ways.

Your comments show your ignorance, that's all on you.

I did. I just didn't find much of it to be meaningful. It was more of an emotional response than a logical one, just look through your own post again.

Rent free.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

I did. I just didn't find much of it to be meaningful. It was more of an emotional response than a logical one, just look through your own post again.

Rent free.

Antagonizing without facts. I know exactly everything I posted. Facts included.

The only one avoiding the actual discussion is you.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By N64DD

@NVIDIATI said:
@musicalmac said:

Rent free.

Samsungs explode.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI said:
@musicalmac said:

Rent free.

You did post a fact or two (some relevant, some not), but there were also a whole lot of subjective opinions and you were quick to resort to personal insults. I'm not beholden to answer how you want, much like the fellow in the video isn't beholden to conduct tests like you want.

Apple and Apple-users are enjoying the significant lead in performance, ecosystem, value, market and profit share the iPhone and iPad enjoys. The gap is set to grow again in September.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac said:

You did post a fact or two (some relevant, some not), but there were also a whole lot of subjective opinions and you were quick to resort to personal insults. I'm not beholden to answer how you want, much like the fellow in the video isn't beholden to conduct tests like you want.

Apple and Apple-users are enjoying the significant lead in performance, ecosystem, value, market and profit share the iPhone and iPad enjoys. The gap is set to grow again in September.

When you're using that test to back up your claim of "Apple is generations ahead of anyone else in the mobile world", it needs to actually justify that claim. The manner in which the test was conducted clearly does not. I'm not the one posting threads with said claim. Again, that's you.

Building a straw man argument after the fact isn't helping.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

I have an Iphone 6plus but i sure wish they would implement micro sd cards already. The storage space is crap.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 NVIDIATI

@vaidream45 said:

I have an Iphone 6plus but i sure wish they would implement micro sd cards already. The storage space is crap.

Apple is never going to use MicroSD, but they have increased the base amount of storage from 16 GB to 32 GB with the iPhone 7.

While the 128 GB and 256 GB options are expensive, they do exist.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Cool. I like my LG G5, especially being able to swap batteries on long trips.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@musicalmac: Okay, so how are the games compared to the Nintendo Switch? Can I play Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the iPhone?

KMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 KMP
Member since 2017 • 380 Posts

@musicalmac: he laid out some pretty convincing arguments and you act like some petty user who resorts to awkward pretentiousness.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mister-Man
Member since 2014 • 616 Posts

Numbers do not lie. Benchmarks results do not lie.

Apple is generations agead of any Android manufacturer. Science proves it.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

@mister-man: lol holy crap he rises from the grave. How ya been?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@n64dd said:

Indeed. They are the bomb. They really blow my mind.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mister-Man

@Celsius765: Just been taking time off Gamespot, resting in the proverbial laurels of being proved right in Apple winning and Android being a terrible platform and hardware enabler. ;)

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

Well Apple was bound to get one thing right.....

My S7 works perfectly fine. To be honest my S3 worked fine too until the power button broke. I'd probably still be using it. Performance-wise though any phone to come out in the past 5 years is fine for me. As long as it can make calls and run the Steam app.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Celsius765

@mister-man: my only gripe with apple is the ppi density. Aside from that I don't care for what android has to offer. Can you believe 3ven though I have a 1080p tv and hd phone never can play hd content from google play. If this android wasn't a gift I'd get iPhone or atleast an ipad

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mister-Man

@Celsius765: I can use my iPhone and get videos streamed to my TV in 1080p over any media app or website.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celsius765

@mister-man: is that how it works. I wish itunes could be an app for smart tvs

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mister-Man

@Celsius765: Why? For what purpose?

I haven't used iTunes since 2013

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Celsius765

@mister-man: I use it on pc currently to find shows I can't find on google play so I can watch shows without risk of viruses and ads. How have you not used it, don't you need to back up your phone occasionally.....unless you use other means to do so. I know there's google drive and one drive

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mister-Man

@Celsius765: everything gets backed up automatically through icloud.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Celsius765

@mister-man: not necessarily if I recall I cloud only gives you 5gb, don't know if I'm willing to pay apple for more space when ai can just get free space from google and one drive

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: The portables are VASTLY superior to ultra-mobile devices like phones for games. Only reason I'd use iOS for games is when I don't have the option to use a portable.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mister-Man

@wolfpup7: The only portable worth playing right now is Switch

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 N64DD

@mister-man said:

@wolfpup7: The only portable worth playing right now is Switch

and 3ds.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

@n64dd: And Vita! :-D Though in terms of games right now I'd put 3DS probably first, obviously Switch long term.

I honestly thought that 3DS was dead after Yoshi this year, and then instead it feels like it's had more games come out and get announced than LAST year!

Ugh, I want a cartridge release of Dragon Quest Heroes 1+2! I mean it's BOTH games on one cartridge, and the graphics while compromised are still really, really close to the PS4 version in the scheme of things. How cool is that? But no U.S. release :-/

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@musicalmac said:
Loading Video...

It's a complete annihilation. Apple is generations ahead of anyone else in the mobile world. There is no substitute for an iPhone.

And that single core performance...... wow.

Oh, that's nice. People can browse Facebook faster on an iPhone.

thomasrl101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#34 thomasrl101
Member since 2017 • 54 Posts

This might be a bit off topic but I've always wondered how the corners of the Samsung Galaxy screen work. Programs are usually designed to display a picture in a rectangle. Does a black border appear sometimes as the program is displayed as a rectangle in the middle? Are some apps distorted by the curved corners of the screen?

TTLockerroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TTLockerroom
Member since 2017 • 21 Posts

Sorry, Apple is miles behind its competitors...They're losing at the catch up game as well

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mister-Man

@ttlockerroom: You have conjecture. The other side has video and benchmarks.

PawelBodytko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PawelBodytko
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

Hardware wise, the differences between the platforms are what some wise person many years ago described as "narcissism of small differences"...

For me, there is one reason, that I as a developer, must pay attention to Apple more than Android -- Apple users feed their toys better (they spend more money on them).

Apple also allows eSport -- paid skill-based, real money tournaments. Google Play which has a de-facto monopoly on app distribution on Android does not allow them. So if you have some skills, and you want to make a buck doing what you love, plus you live in a state or a country where joining paid tournaments is legal -- you need an iPhone or an iPad.

The same applies to developers...

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

The one thing that Apple has always done well is that they have always had amazing hardware and software optimization. Both work extremely well together and this is expected, but it is also important to note that NO other company in the mobile market makes their own phones and mobile OS- Samsung makes their own phones (for the most part), but they use Google's Android OS. Google uses the latest version of their OS, but they don't make their own phones. That being said, for years Apple has lagged behind the competition in terms of screen quality, camera, SD slots, water / dust proofing and they are barely starting to catch up. These are things that companies like Samsung have had for years. Single core performance and optimized because they make it all in house- that's all you got? The statement "Apple is generations ahead" is nothing more than a hyperbole that has spewed out of the mouth of an Apple super fan.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Mister-Man

@mighty-lu-bu: No it’s pretty accurate.

I remember how long it took Android to get basic things, then it made me realize your entire post was negated before you even typed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
deactivated-601cef9eca9e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-601cef9eca9e5
Member since 2007 • 3296 Posts

@mister-man said:

@mighty-lu-bu: No it’s pretty accurate.

I remember how long it took Android to get basic things, then it made me realize your entire post was negated before you even typed it.

Basic things like what? Samsung has had SD slots since the original Note and the Galaxy S2. They have also had better screens and water proofing for a couple of years now so I don't understand your argument. The iPhone still doesn't have an SD slot and it probably never will. In addition, its IP67 water and dust proofing still lags behind Samsung's IP68 rating. The iPhone X does have a stellar camera though that is better than anything that Samsung currently offers, but it isn't as good as the Google Pixel 2.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14788 Posts

What about the iPhone 8?

BLN1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BLN1
Member since 2017 • 128 Posts

My Android is pretty good, but I do know people who prefer the iPhone above all else.

Mister-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mister-Man

@mighty-lu-bu: Not sure if you remember the first years of Android. Didn't have fully functional multi-touch capabilities for a long time, it was a ghetto copy of Apples capacitive multi-touch technology.. Took two years for a Facebook app to appear. Took several years for any sort of cohesive tracking service capability. Still waiting for a dedicated motion processor. Not sure if any Android phones out there even has a dedicated GPU yet. Laughably, only a few Android handsets recently started 64-bit support, if any at all.