Any programmers here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Wondering what language would be a good start.

Ultimately would like to end up developing for iOS. I understand that it's largely Objecive-C based, but I'm told that before I dive into that language I should really start with the fundamentals and get into the swing of things.

Right now the languages I've caroused over were C, Python, Java and Javascript. Processing.js as well.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

java is often suggested as a good start. After that it mostly becomes a matter of understanding the smaller details like stack vs heaps, and other lower level stuff and how that affects the language and teh way u SHOULD program.

hellotony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 hellotony
Member since 2009 • 60 Posts

I recommand you read this:http://live.exept.de/doc/miscDocuments/readingSmalltalk.pdffirst if you know some Java. Although it's talking about Smalltalk, but after I reading it I figured out some concepts such as message dilivering is similar to them in Obj-C indeed, and I could say Obj-C was easier after that. Hope it helps.

deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

So digging online it seems that people recommend starting off with Java or C.

I intend on creating a richly detailed 2D top-down videogame. Based on this intention, would it be wise for me to start with Java or C?

I've also heard of Python coupled with Pygame, but I've heard there are limitations to it.

My utmost concern is being able to display rich 2D art coupled with fantastic visual effects, and running at a constant 50+ fps without a hitch.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

So digging online it seems that people recommend starting off with Java or C.

I intend on creating a richly detailed 2D top-down videogame. Based on this intention, would it be wise for me to start with Java or C?

I've also heard of Python coupled with Pygame, but I've heard there are limitations to it.

My utmost concern is being able to display rich 2D art coupled with fantastic visual effects, and running at a constant 50+ fps without a hitch.

Kid-Atari

Java. Definatly not C. Take a look at Cocos2D, Slick2D, or even just use Java2D which is built in.. Unity is also giving away free copy's of the lite version of their mobile Middleware. TODAY IS THE LAST DAY! DEFINATLY download that. You can use java in place of Unity script i believe.