Wii Sports Resort thread of 1:1 awesomeness!

• 53 results
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Truewiseblade
Member since 2005 • 2607 Posts

Earlier this afternoon, my copy of Wii Sports Resort arrived. Now that I've finally played all 12 of the games, I can safely say that it's all I expected it to be and more. The Wii Motion Plus shows that it's an accessory that if you can look past its little quirks, the the Wii experience everyone hoped for before launch.

(i've only been able to play the single-player so far)

Swordplay

Pretty much the the flagship sport of this game, I don't really need to go into much detail on it. Duel mode and Speed Slice are pretty fun and have been shown to death, but showdown is where the single player action is. It's basically just you fighting around other opponents in waves along a road. most of them drop like flies, but one or two (but eventually many more) that are a bit tougher and will block and counter you. with only three hearts you have to think more carefully about when to strike and when to defend. turn the swords into lightsabers and you have the best selling game of all time. definitely one of my favourites.

Wakeboarding

Holding the Wii NES-styIe, you perform tricks off of the wake of the boat ahead of you. this one takes a little getting used to as the timing for pulling off tricks, positioning yourself flat and the camera angle are all a little weird.

Frisbee®

Is really hard to get the hang of. Frisbee® dog is an exercise in frustration for me, as I can only ever get the blue zone and ALWAYS miss the balloons. :x

Frisbee® Golf however, as awesome. for some reason I'm doing a lot better in it.

Archery

Is pretty cool. There's not much to it, but it's pretty fun.

Basketball

Is a surprise favourite. The 3 point contest is REALLY fun once you get into a rhythm. one "problem" I have is that when you get close you your high score, a little "break your record!" moniker shows up and JINXES me. who knew three little words could pile on so much pressure?

3-on-3 is a lot better than I though it would be. It's got a bit of a tactical element and it's really cool to see your Mii pull off a one handed slam dunk.

Table Tennis

Hey, remember Table Tennis in Wii Play? Yeah, that game isn't fit to clean this one's boot straps. It's way faster paced than Wii Sports Tennis and the ability to ad spin give it more depth. it's odd that Match mode is unlocked first as Return challenge is a much better introduction. One of may most played games.

Golf

I hated Wii Sports golf, but this knocks it out of the park. They finally added an 18 hole mode with 9 new holes and the 9 holes from the original.

Bowling

Maybe it's just me, but I cant notice anything different. 100 pin mode is nice though. These three make it unlikely I'll ever play Wii Sports again.

Power Cruising

Is pretty hard to control. Steering is odd and it doesn't help that I have to hold the wiimote in my right hand. Lefties are likely to have a bit of trouble with this one.

Canoeing

It controls well, but there isn't much to it. One of the few game that can be played comfortably sitting down.

Cycling

The butt monkey of the package. The controls are a nightmare. They're very similar to boxing, weirdly enough. Steering is really weird. Someone may like it though.

Air Sports

Skydiving and Island Flyover are pretty pedrestrian. Skydiving in particular has a tech demo feel out everything in the game. I really want to try out Dogfight!

There were bound to be a couple flops *cough*cycling*cough* but there's at least one game for everyone. Cant' wait to hear your impresions on sunday!

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I think i'll pick this up at my next Costco trip this weekend.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
I want to try out basketball and table tennis as I play those in real life.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
I want to try out basketball and table tennis as I play those in real life.kage_53
I played Table Tennis at E3, and it was my favorite of the bunch I played so far. I really do want WSR someday... :(
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts

I want to try out basketball and table tennis as I play those in real life.kage_53

Table Tennis looks really fun. I wonder if it will help me practice for real life >_>

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

Meh

/anti-wii response

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts

Wahoo! My copy arived this morning. I've only been playing Duel mode with sword figthing so far and i've white-washed every opponent. It won't be long till i get PRO status. Also, for those who are worried about the motion becoming out of sync, you can easily calibrate it by pointing forwards and pressing down on the d-pad, it doesn't even take 1 second!

I'll post more when i've played more of the other games. For now, i'm having a blast! :D

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pangster007

Got to PRO status easy on duel mode.

Did some wakeboarding and got 1341 pts on my first try. I thought it was going to be easy but i did fall down a few times because i didn't keep the handle level why landing.

I did some archery and frisbee dog but i'll post more about those later because i have to go to work now.

P.S. I usually have a negative stance when it comes to achievements/trophies but the stamps in WSR make so much sense. I like how each stamp is described for and listed. Anyway, GTG.

Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Truewiseblade

Got to PRO status easy on duel mode.

Did some wakeboarding and got 1341 pts on my first try. I thought it was going to be easy but i did fall down a few times because i didn't keep the handle level why landing.

I did some archery and frisbee dog but i'll post more about those later because i have to go to work now.

P.S. I usually have a negative stance when it comes to achievements/trophies but the stamps in WSR make so much sense. I like how each stamp is described for and listed. Anyway, GTG.

Pangster007

The flavour text livens them up a lot. I wish each stamp had a unique image though.

EDIT: I left something out of the OP that's pretty important. This game is hard. Reaching PRO status on record based games is a real achievement. The Later levels of Swordplay, Basketball and Table tennis have legitimate challenge. The Table tennis champion 6-0s me every time I face her. But one of these days I'll get my revenge. I'll smash that ball right in her FACE! :twisted:

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

Omg, Wii is supr lame guiz, I cant belieive u atcually plai dis game, waste of ur time. SERIESLY!!!

On another note, I would like to try this game at some point some of the mini games look fun but other eh... not so much but I will hold off REAL judgement until I actually get to play it.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pangster007

Wii Sports Resort Impressions

Omg, Wii is supr lame guiz, I cant belieive u atcually plai dis game, waste of ur time. SERIESLY!!!

On another note, I would like to try this game at some point some of the mini games look fun but other eh... not so much but I will hold off REAL judgement until I actually get to play it.

spinecaton

NOO! RAGE! You have to get this game now!

There is a LOT more depth to the games than it looks. And the chances are, the game won't go down in price for a long time due to high demand.

(playing it on my 50 inch plasma instead of my monitor. :P)

I'm at work now but i managed to take some photos before i left. Here are some of my scores;

Archery, Beginners mode. 1st and 2nd attempt.
This game is awesome, it mimics the real thing really well. OK, it lacks some tactile feedback, but it gets the jist of the real thing and nails it.

Frisbee Dog, Manual mode. Not brilliant but a good effort on my 1st try.

I'm looking forward to getting back home and putting some hours into it. Anyway, i hope more WSR owners will post in this thread. It'd be great to see GUFU high scores.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Dang you Pangster....I want that game so bad right now. It has been one of those games I have been looking forward to all year. I have to help someone out right now and buying games from him to help him out. So I can not afford it right now. 2 more weeks and I will own it or buy it for my son's birthday.

I love buying things for me and saying they are for the son. It works so well on the wife.

One of these days I will buy a sofa. There are just too many games I want. 

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pangster007

Dang you Pangster....I want that game so bad right now. It has been one of those games I have been looking forward to all year. I have to help someone out right now and buying games from him to help him out. So I can not afford it right now. 2 more weeks and I will own it or buy it for my son's birthday.

I love buying things for me and saying they are for the son. It works so well on the wife.

One of these days I will buy a sofa. There are just too many games I want.

HarlockJC
That's too bad. While there's plenty to do in singleplayer right now, i'll have to think about getting second M+ as multiplayer would be really fun. I recommend getting a second M+ with it seeing as you could immediately share with the family.
SMR-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SMR-Venom
Member since 2007 • 6500 Posts
The SW thread is hilarious.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HarlockJC

The SW thread is hilarious.SMR-Venom

There is always a lot of Wii hate. But it seems more than ever the last 2 days. 

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

[QUOTE="SMR-Venom"]The SW thread is hilarious.HarlockJC

Why is that?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HarlockJC
Not sure..I think with Wii Resort being yet another AA game. Haters use to be able to use scores to attack the Wii. Now that it's becomming harder because the Wii is keeping up with the other consoles. It seems the attacks are not moving away from fact and more towards opinion. Which is never a good base to make a good argument.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
It seems the attacks are not moving away from fact and more towards opinion. Which is never a good base to make a good argument. HarlockJC
And when has SW ever been a place for good arguments?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HarlockJC

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]It seems the attacks are not moving away from fact and more towards opinion. Which is never a good base to make a good argument. Hoffgod
And when has SW ever been a place for good arguments?

There is normally a number of people who are good to argue you with most of though are part of GUFU expect SteveO. Who has became a great person to argue with also.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spinecaton
Are you guys still talking about Wii Sports Resort? I thought I told you it was lame! :P
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Truewiseblade

Are you guys still talking about Wii Sports Resort? I thought I told you it was lame! :Pspinecaton

If by "lame" you mean "Signalling a new era of awesome Wii games" then yes, it is "lame". :P

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]Are you guys still talking about Wii Sports Resort? I thought I told you it was lame! :PTruewiseblade

If by "lame" you mean "Signalling a new era of awesome Wii games" then yes, it is "lame". :P

Of course that is what I ment! Just got done trying it out at a friends house, he got it early from Gamestop since he works there(he always gets to buy stuff early but he said his manager allows it). Really enjoyed it for the most part, sword dueling wasn't as good as I was hoping and biking was annoying but besides that it was fun to watch and play. Just like the first time playing Wii Sports.

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 spinecaton
Oh and after playing WSR Table Tennis with M+ I hope R* comes out with another Table Tennis game for the Wii which would be full of win.
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HarlockJC

Oh and after playing WSR Table Tennis with M+ I hope R* comes out with another Table Tennis game for the Wii which would be full of win.spinecaton

I like your new sign

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pangster007
So i've come home after long hours at work and started playing a few games. It keeps throwing surprises at me: like how if you throw a frisbee perfectly, the dog will actually jump up to catch it. When sword duelling, it's really important to pay attention to the opponents guard - i got knocked down for the first time just because i took one strike in the wrong angle causing mii to lose balance. Also, i thought for one moment that i was playing against other people online in speed slice (2nd mode of sword fighting) because the friend code popped up at the top-right. It was actually just the friend code of whoever created that opponent mii character, from the online Mii channel.
Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Truewiseblade

I noticed a while back that you can hit a guarding opponent in Swordplay by slashing at their hilt. It's a lot deeper than I first expected, which makes me surprised that the GS reviewer could call it a "mess of random waggling".

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pangster007

I noticed a while back that you can hit a guarding opponent in Swordplay by slashing at their hilt. It's a lot deeper than I first expected, which makes me surprised that the GS reviewer could call it a "mess of random waggling".

Truewiseblade
I was thinking of this too. I think it's best to slash at the exact angle their sword is at whether it's from the hilt or point of the sword. And i think you can be blocking even if you've lost balance because the CPU opponents do that sometimes.
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts
[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]

[QUOTE="SMR-Venom"]The SW thread is hilarious.IronBass

Why is that?

Because everyone is saying tech demo's shouldn't get AA scores...In a week or so the hate switches to another system causing a neverending circle.
killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

It seems the attacks are not moving away from fact and more towards opinion. Which is never a good base to make a good argument. HarlockJC

It has always been like that.:P

The game sounds like alot of fun. I haven't seen anything of it since E3, but the E3 demo looked awesome. 

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pangster007

Was playing Table Tennis this morning, and OH MY GOD, this game is Godly Awesome! :shock:

I can apply all the spins and curves of the real thing - of course, it lacks a little sublety because it's a lot harder in real life!. It still uses the timing mechanic for left and right direction (like in Wii Sports Tennis) but then it adds in the information of how fast and angle of shot which gives it that amazing depth.

MAN I need to get a seoncd M+ and play it with someone!

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pangster007

I'm still having a lot of fun, especially swordfighting and table tennis.

The cycling was a bit iffy when you want to turn and it doesn't seem to show off M+ all that well. However, i could see the mechanics at play - and getting good times/coming first requires a bit of thought of when to burst and take advantage of slipstreams. Had 3 tries and moved on.

I've been doing the island flyovers to try and collect every info point while shooting ballons. It soon grew on me and it constantly reminds me of how bad i want a new pilotwings game. It's not too exciting but i like how it unlocks more things like time of day and abilities. This is something that will appeal to completionists, i guess.

I got PRO status in speed slicing and showdown and swordfighting is just simply fantastic. Swordfighting requires a lot of concentration and fast reflexes later on - and as the game gets harder, the more absorbed into the game i become.

One thing i read about is the ability to change somethings during the games - like turning off the archery aiming reticle or changing the 6 point match in table tennis to 12 points. You have to press the '2' button before the game or something. I've yet to try it and it's not even documented in the manual. Anyway, i'll just say it here for those who want an even bigger challenge.

Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Truewiseblade

The cycling was a bit iffy when you want to turn and it doesn't seem to show off M+ all that well. However, i could see the mechanics at play - and getting good times/coming first requires a bit of thought of when to burst and take advantage of slipstreams. Had 3 tries and moved on.

I've been doing the island flyovers to try and collect every info point while shooting ballons. It soon grew on me and it constantly reminds me of how bad i want a new pilotwings game. It's not too exciting but i like how it unlocks more things like time of day and abilities. This is something that will appeal to completionists, i guess.

I got PRO status in speed slicing and showdown and swordfighting is just simply fantastic. Swordfighting requires a lot of concentration and fast reflexes later on - and as the game gets harder, the more absorbed into the game i become.

One thing i read about is the ability to change somethings during the games - like turning off the archery aiming reticle or changing the 6 point match in table tennis to 12 points. You have to press the '2' button before the game or something. I've yet to try it and it's not even documented in the manual. Anyway, i'll just say it here for those who want an even bigger challenge.

Pangster007

I just heard about it too. I've only tried it in Table tennis so far, but I can confirm it works. Except it changes to 11 point matches.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pangster007
[QUOTE="Pangster007"]

Truewiseblade

I just heard about it too. I've only tried it in Table tennis so far, but I can confirm it works. Except it changes to 11 point matches.

Right, my mistake. 11 points. I'm wondering what it does for other games atm but i'm not going to try until i've played every game 'normally'.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pangster007

I was browsing neogaf and i spotted this map for use for island flyover:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=167274&st=0&p=2148797&#entry2148797

And erm... yeah, there's a lot to do. I'll leave this link here if anyone feels the need to try and 'complete' island flyover and is having difficulties.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts
I'll probably put it on my Christmas List.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ontain

finally got it. got pro in table tennis and sword fighting last night.(and my arm is tired today)

I really liked the sword fighting. it felt very responsive and worked well.  can't wait for a jedi game that uses motion plus. 

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ontain

Truewiseblade

they probably only played the first level. the regular guys you can just waggle through. but the tougher guys will kill you if you aren't paying attention. heck at the reverse stages even the fodder can block and attack if you don't watch it. 

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pangster007

finally got it. got pro in table tennis and sword fighting last night.(and my arm is tired today)

I really liked the sword fighting. it felt very responsive and worked well. can't wait for a jedi game that uses motion plus.

Ontain
That was quick. I only just turned pro this morning at that. And yeah, my arms get tired too - especially in speed slice and table tennis.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ontain

yeah i was over 2000 skill on wiisports tennis and i actually play tennis and pingpong as well so i'm fairly used to games like that.  I don't play the speed slice much. pretty much addicted to the showdown mode and got pro on that last night too. i'll probably try to get pro in every event unless i find one really boring (which cycling and canoeing might be)

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 789shadow
[QUOTE="Truewiseblade"]

Ontain

they probably only played the first level. the regular guys you can just waggle through. but the tougher guys will kill you if you aren't paying attention. heck at the reverse stages even the fodder can block and attack if you don't watch it. 

Get out of my office and come back with some proof. Seriously, this crap annoys me to hell.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ontain
[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="Truewiseblade"]

789shadow

Get out of my office and come back with some proof. Seriously, this crap annoys me to hell.

well the proof would be that a mess of random waggling will get you owned in later levels. ;) 

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
[QUOTE="789shadow"][QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="Truewiseblade"]

Ontain

well the proof would be that a mess of random waggling will get you owned in later levels. ;) 

That is only proof that you are an apologist for this game, not proof of point.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ontain

That is only proof that you are an apologist for this game, not proof of point.

jechtshot78

to me the point is that the "mess of random waggling" statement is incorrect.  everything after is just trying to explain how the reviewer could be that wrong. 

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pangster007
Wahoo! I got 325 pts in table tennis return challenge in my first 'serious' session! What score did everyone else get?
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 789shadow

Wahoo! I got 325 pts in table tennis return challenge in my first 'serious' session! What score did everyone else get?Pangster007

Nothing!!! Because I don't have it yet!!!:P

Truewiseblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Truewiseblade

Wahoo! I got 325 pts in table tennis return challenge in my first 'serious' session! What score did everyone else get?Pangster007

Mine is the comparatively unimpressive 132.

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pangster007

[QUOTE="Pangster007"]Wahoo! I got 325 pts in table tennis return challenge in my first 'serious' session! What score did everyone else get?Truewiseblade

Mine is the comparatively unimpressive 132.

Most of my early attempts didn't break 100. My level rating actually yoyo-ed up and down. And then i got better, broke 100 consistently and then out of the blue i did 325. I think i was 'in the zone'.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ontain

wow. i only got a 92. though i've only done it like 3 times. 

have any of you beating the table tennis cham yet? she totally stomps me 6-0 most times. :(  she seems to move faster than we can too :P 

Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pangster007

have any of you beating the table tennis cham yet? she totally stomps me 6-0 most times. :( she seems to move faster than we can too :P

Ontain

I haven't met the champ yet, but i'm slowly but surely raising my levels. Doing return challenge helps a LOT in shot placement, direction and timing skills. I actually recommend playing return challenge and then play match games.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

have any of you beating the table tennis cham yet? she totally stomps me 6-0 most times. :( she seems to move faster than we can too :P

Pangster007

I haven't met the champ yet, but i'm slowly but surely raising my levels. Doing return challenge helps a LOT in shot placement, direction and timing skills. I actually recommend playing return challenge and then play match games.

i think i just get bored and lose patience after a while in the return challenge :)  i'm still hovering around the 1300-1430 skill in match play. the champ is about 1450. she's insane. played her like 6 times and only gotten 1 lucky point off a serve.Â