FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

Well, I keep using my Mcafee and use Malware-bytes, Windows Defender and Ad-Aware. These darn viruses keep coming back! Heck, I even stopped my System Restore and always restart my computer, but they always keep coming back! Help me :(

Here is my log from Malwarebytes

blank_page

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 89083
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 26 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 1
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 3
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 7

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
C:WINDOWSTempmsb.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunautochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunautochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunautochk (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:WINDOWSTempmsb.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Delete on reboot.
C:Documents and SettingsOwner.PABLOSCOMPUTERprotect.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:WINDOWSsystem32autochk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:WINDOWSsystem32configsystemprofileprotect.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:Documents and SettingsOwner.PABLOSCOMPUTERStart MenuProgramsStartupChkDisk.dll (Worm.Autorun) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:Documents and SettingsOwner.PABLOSCOMPUTERStart MenuProgramsStartupChkDisk.lnk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:WINDOWSTempnsrbgxod.bak (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Do you own a shotgun?
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
I had used Mcafee for a very long time until he did not get 4 virus on my computer and all most shut it down for good. AVG is free and a much better program. Sometimes I use both.
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Do you own a shotgun?Wasdie
:lol:
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FireEmblem_Man

I wish, because I just want to shoot my Laptop!

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
try avg like Harlock suggested. 
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Win. :lol:
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FireEmblem_Man

I had used Mcafee for a very long time until he did not get 4 virus on my computer and all most shut it down for good. AVG is free and a much better program. Sometimes I use both.HarlockJC

Okay, but will having AVG free as a virus scan mess up my Mcafee?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
That sucks, you need a better anti-virus program, AVG or Avast! would work.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
:lol: nice
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ontain

obligatory

"Kill it with FIRE!" 

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
:o Did you know what you done? You have released...a VIRUS ALERT!!!
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I had used Mcafee for a very long time until he did not get 4 virus on my computer and all most shut it down for good. AVG is free and a much better program. Sometimes I use both.HarlockJC

Is AVG really free? I mean completely, fully functionally free, for as long as you use it? I remember for a good amount of time hearing about this free anti-virus program, but for the longest time had kept myself dedicated to the Symantic suite for my protection. They have a very well established and trusted name in system protection.

But more recently, I hear lots of people liking AVG and calling it just as good, if not better. Plus they say it's more resource efficient than Norton's apps. But when I go to Grisoft's site (getting redirected to AVG.com) I see them selling various levels of the AVG app. The only "free" version I see is really just a 30 day trial version, which you'd have to pay to keep using continuously.

* So is there really a fully free version of AVG, and where do I get it?
* How do you think a free anti-virus app (something anyone considers crucial) compare to the paid services
* How up to date are they on virus definition updates to Norton's suite?

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]I had used Mcafee for a very long time until he did not get 4 virus on my computer and all most shut it down for good. AVG is free and a much better program. Sometimes I use both.AdobeArtist

Is AVG really free? I mean completely, fully functionally free, for as long as you use it? I remember for a good amount of time hearing about this free anti-virus program, but for the longest time had kept myself dedicated to the Symantic suite for my protection. They have a very well established and trusted name in system protection.

But more recently, I hear lots of people liking AVG and calling it just as good, if not better. Plus they say it's more resource efficient than Norton's apps. But when I go to Grisoft's site (getting redirected to AVG.com) I see them selling various levels of the AVG app. The only "free" version I see is really just a 30 day trial version, which you'd have to pay to keep using continuously.

* How do you think a free anti-virus app (something anyone considers crucial) compare to the paid services

I had a huge number of problems with Mcafee which I get free from Comcast. It was making my computers hang and it was not getting everything. I now use AVG on all my computers but one and it works great. To answer the question I have 6 computers. One for each person and 2 laptops. I know it's better than McAfee but past that on my own I don't know if it is better than any others. But my father loves AVG and rants about it. He knows much more about that area of computers than I do. So I just take his word on it.

http://free.avg.com/

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FireEmblem_Man
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]I had used Mcafee for a very long time until he did not get 4 virus on my computer and all most shut it down for good. AVG is free and a much better program. Sometimes I use both.HarlockJC

I had a huge number of problems with Mcafee which I get free from Comcast. It was making my computers hang and it was not getting everything. I now use AVG on all my computers but one and it works great. To answer the question I have 6 computers. One for each person and 2 laptops. I know it's better than McAfee but past that on my own I don't know if it is better than any others. But my father loves AVG and rants about it. He knows much more about that area of computers than I do. So I just take his word on it.

http://free.avg.com/

I'm going to have to agree with you Harlock, because Mcafee usually has an On Demand Scan error on mine and I tried everything. I called Mcafee customers service to fix the error and they say it's a Microsoft problem and so I called Microsoft and they say it's my computer manufactures problem, and so I called gateway and they say it's Mcafee's problem.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with you Harlock, because Mcafee usually has an On Demand Scan error on mine and I tried everything. I called Mcafee customers service to fix the error and they say it's a Microsoft problem and so I called Microsoft and they say it's my computer manufactures problem, and so I called gateway and they say it's Mcafee's problem.

FireEmblem_Man

Gotta love how they point their fingers at each other.

McAfee sucks anyway. I had a trial on my current PC and didn't find anything after scanning. I downloaded AVG Free after the trial ended, did a scan, and it found a Trojan in some ancient file I downloaded via MSN messenger from a friend.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I use the best anti-virus known to man. It's called "don't download shady files from weird places". Best part: totally free!
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdobeArtist  Moderator

I use the best anti-virus known to man. It's called "don't download shady files from weird places". Best part: totally free!Teufelhuhn

Hold the phone! Most people using some form of anti-virus programs still follow this "common sense rule". So you're telling us, that's all you do, without running any kind of anti-virus app at all? :o:o

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]I use the best anti-virus known to man. It's called "don't download shady files from weird places". Best part: totally free!AdobeArtist

Hold the phone! Most people using some form of anti-virus programs still follow this "common sense rule". So you're telling us, that's all you do, without running any kind of anti-virus app at all? :o:o

It's exhilarating, like running down the street in the nude. You'd be amazed at how much faster your PC runs without AV clogging up everything. :P
Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

Ad-Aware

FireEmblem_Man

I love Ad-Aware. :D

When I had McAfee it worked well but it really slowed my laptop down.

I tried AVG and it worked well for awhile... but nothing, NOTHING compares to Avast! It is troublesome to start up at first, and when it updates it can slow your computer down for a minute while an annoying voice pops up, but it's my favorite of the anti-virus software.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AdobeArtist  Moderator
[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]I use the best anti-virus known to man. It's called "don't download shady files from weird places". Best part: totally free!Teufelhuhn

It's exhilarating, like running down the street in the nude. You'd be amazed at how much faster your PC runs without AV clogging up everything. :P

aaaaand, what's your IP address again? :twisted: ;) :P

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#22 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
[QUOTE="FireEmblem_Man"]

Ad-Aware

Moon_of_Majora

I love Ad-Aware. :D

When I had McAfee it worked well but it really slowed my laptop down.

I tried AVG and it worked well for awhile... but nothing, NOTHING compares to Avast! It is troublesome to start up at first, and when it updates it can slow your computer down for a minute while an annoying voice pops up, but it's my favorite of the anti-virus software.

Yes, another person who uses Avast! besides me on this board, congrats. It's better than AVG IMO, AVG is slighty overrated.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FireEmblem_Man

Jokes aside, I am willing to get a shotgun and shoot my laptop!

I have tried AVG and I still have the same results. After the lockdown, I am still receiving "google-redirect" I really need to get rid it pronto!

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

1. Format your computer. 2. Install Firefox. 3. Add WOT, AdBlockPlus, NoScript and don't click links with a red button next to it.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Whoa, is a complete reformat really going to be necessary? And what's "WOT"?
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FireEmblem_Man
Whoa, is a complete reformat really going to be necessary? And what's "WOT"?AdobeArtist
It maybe the case, there is no end and I can't delete msb.dll since it's in my TEMP folder.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FireEmblem_Man

1. Format your computer. 2. Install Firefox. 3. Add WOT, AdBlockPlus, NoScript and don't click links with a red button next to it.

Cook66

Yeah, I have been using Firefox for quite a while and so far it's infected with google-redirect. Formatting my computer is definetly my last resort, however, I think it is going to happen soon.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Cook66

A complete format might not be necessary, but removing spyware these days can be extremely difficult. I often find it's simpler to start over, but you might want to google for specific removal instructions, because while it is hard to remove these programs it is never impossible.

WOT stands for Web of Trust which is a firefox addon where users submit reviews on the security of websites. While browsing goolge, wikipedia or other major sites and search engines the system will add a review button next to it to warn you if the site is unsafe. It doesn't protect you very well should you be unlucky enough to enter one, but thats where adblock and NoScript comes it. You might also want to try Flashblock, but theres a similar feature already included NoScript.

Many Antivirus programs have features similar to WOT, but none that I've seen relies on user reviews as well as professional security sites which means a lot of websites slip through.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireEmblem_Man

A complete format might not be necessary, but removing spyware these days can be extremely difficult. I often find it's simpler to start over, but you might want to google for specific removal instructions, because while it is hard to remove these programs it is never impossible.

WOT stands for Web of Trust which is a firefox addon where users submit reviews on the security of websites. While browsing goolge, wikipedia or other major sites and search engines the system will add a review button next to it to warn you if the site is unsafe. It doesn't protect you very well should you be unlucky enough to enter one, but thats where adblock and NoScript comes it. You might also want to try Flashblock, but theres a similar feature already included NoScript.

Many Antivirus programs have features similar to WOT, but none that I've seen relies on user reviews as well as professional security sites which means a lot of websites slip through.

Cook66

Thanks Cook, those really helped a lot :)

I was also able to find the right program to permanent delete the files that were locked in my Temp folder. I had to use Combofix and it worked.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AdobeArtist  Moderator
[QUOTE="Cook66"]

FireEmblem_Man

Thanks Cook, those really helped a lot :)

I was also able to find the right program to permanent delete the files that were locked in my Temp folder. I had to use Combofix and it worked.

And now, to ensure this never happens again, you got some serious protection. Though the fees might kill ya ;) :P

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FireEmblem_Man

And now, to ensure this never happens again, you got some serious protection. Though the fees might kill ya ;) :P

AdobeArtist

Nah, I'll pass. Thanks for the offer though, but I'll go with Wasdie idea of using the shotgun ;)

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
First of all Get rid of McAFEE secondly Download AVAST.and another thing download CCleaner and Ncleaner i use both
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FireEmblem_Man

First of all Get rid of McAFEE secondly Download AVAST.and another thing download CCleaner and Ncleaner i use bothUnforgiven2870

I'm sorry Unforgiven, you're kind of too late. My laptop is clean now, but I'll keep AVAST in mind in case if I get caught again.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Teuf_
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVERuse anything that claims to be a "registry cleaner". They do terrible things that have 0 chance of having any benefit, and a near 100% chance of screwing something up.

The windows registry is basically a place where apps you install store settings and other information they need to keep track of it. When a program writes something there, the only program that knows what that information means is the program that put it there in the first place. To a human or some "registry cleaning program", it will mostly look like a big pile of gibberish. In other words, there's no way to discern "junk" from "useful information that some program will crash if it can't find it".

I say this as someone who writes Windows software for a living and therefore actually deals with the registry on a regular basis: don't mess with it. Leave it alone. Pretend it doesn't exist, if you have to.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#35 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Never ever ever ever ever ever ever EVERuse anything that claims to be a "registry cleaner". They do terrible things that have 0 chance of having any benefit, and a near 100% chance of screwing something up.

The windows registry is basically a place where apps you install store settings and other information they need to keep track of it. When a program writes something there, the only program that knows what that information means is the program that put it there in the first place. To a human or some "registry cleaning program", it will mostly look like a big pile of gibberish. In other words, there's no way to discern "junk" from "useful information that some program will crash if it can't find it".

I say this as someone who writes Windows software for a living and therefore actually deals with the registry on a regular basis: don't mess with it. Leave it alone. Pretend it doesn't exist, if you have to.Teufelhuhn
Well. That's pretty definitive. Sound advice, if you ask me.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdobeArtist  Moderator

I say this as someone who writes Windows software for a living and therefore actually deals with the registry on a regular basis: don't mess with it. Leave it alone. Pretend it doesn't exist, if you have to.Teufelhuhn

awwwww, now all of the sudden I want to poke around in there even more :P

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ontain

I use registry cleaners from time to time... of course i also review what they are removing before hand. I don't suggest the average user to do it though. 

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ontain

awwwww, now all of the sudden I want to poke around in there even more :P

AdobeArtist

make sure you have a recovery disk which you can use to boot up and manually edit the registry using commandline.  if you don't have or don't know what i'm talking about. avoid the registry.

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cook66

[QUOTE="Unforgiven2870"]First of all Get rid of McAFEE secondly Download AVAST.and another thing download CCleaner and Ncleaner i use bothFireEmblem_Man

I'm sorry Unforgiven, you're kind of too late. My laptop is clean now, but I'll keep AVAST in mind in case if I get caught again.

Thats pretty good advice. Avast shouldn't be something to sintall after a problem has happend, by that time Avast is pretty much worthless, it's suppose to stop bad things from happening as it's an antivirus/firewall program. CCleaner can be used to clean the registry, but thats not all it does. It can clean up dead files for you, temporary folders and other junk. You should be careful about using it though, and unless you do have a problem I wouldn't recommend it for regular users.
Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cook66

Well, sure. Using Registry Cleaners to "clean" your computer is not really a good idea, and one should never use it to clean up old files without knowingexactly what you're doing.

There are however registry cleaners created to seek out adware and viruses in the registry and targets those specific files for removal. If that is your only solution short of removing stuff on your own or formatting the disk (which can have horrible results) I think it's a viable option.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts

I use Nortan 360. My buddy got it for free from his college and gave me his extra key.

Seems to work pretty good. Definitely picked up on some stuff I would have completely missed. As Tuef said, It is best to just avoid files from sources you don't completely trust.Â