AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

I've been an avid collector of comics for many years. I'm not so active any more, but I'm still a fan and this is a summer that excites me to no end. So without further ado, the flicks to look out for:
IRON MAN
See Trailers

This one already being out is easy to talk about. And what else is there to say but... IT KICKS ASS... With an Iron Boot no less :D It's nice to see that once again, film makers are being very faithful to the source material. The origin story of Tony Stark becoming IronMan (even being updated for the times) is spot on. I LOVE how they pay tribute to the history of the character with the original armor, what was truly an "iron man", and even one other in between version before we get to the recognizable Red and Yellow. The action is great and is paired with a great deal of witty humor. Especially the scene in Tony's private plane, haha. Of course it goes without saying the FX brilliantly brought the armor to life without worry of how to adapt the "flexible metal" as it was drawn in comics.
I'm sure most of you have already seen it. But if you haven't seen this movie yet.... for *bleep*s sake what the *bleep* are you WAITING FOR??? What, you can't peel yourself away from GTA4 for 2 *bleep*ing hours? I will NOT accept any excuses from any of you. Go out and see it NOW!!!!
Important Note!!! When the movie is done, do not, I repeat DO NOT leave the theatre. WAIT for the end of the credits. Trust me it'll be worth it 8)
INCREDIBLE HULK
See Trailers

OK, now I know what you're about to say - "But Adobe, the 1st movie sucked, it was a stinkin pile of maneur!!"
Yes, yes it was indeed.
"What? You're not disputing that? Then why the hell would we go out and see this??"
I'll be the 1st to admit, there should seemingly be no reason. SEEMINGLY. But remember how bad the 1st Fantastic Four movie was? Yeah we all do. Yet somehow, soooooomehow they managed to turn things around completely for that franchise with Rise of the Silver Surfer, improving greatly on this movie adaptation. I'm not sure but it seems like they got an entirely different production team on this, from director to producer. They did it right that time and more accurately captured the essense of FF.
So taking a page from that, we have a new team behind this latest Hulk movie. Not just the writers, directors and producers. It's been completely recast with Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, Liv Tyler (rrrrrrowwrrr) as Betsy Ross, and now Tim Roth as the villain for this piece, Abomination. And when I saw the trailer, I was alreasy thinking FF series all over again. This one has promise.
And now for the Crowning Jewel of the Box Office, none other than the greatest comic hero of all time;
THE DARK KNIGHT
See Trailers

Returning from an already highly successful movie, the entire high calibur cast returns along with a re-envisioning of one of the top rated comic book villains of all time, The Joker. And wow, this looks like the most disturbing one yet. Where all the others were very stylish and polished, this Joker is much more chaotic, edgy, and truly demented looking. It really conveys dangerous insanity. I also just LOVE that they titled this simply as "The Dark Knight". Not only because it ties into the Batman mythos from comics, a nick name he's been called by fans and characters alike in the universe for years, but in the originality of the title approach. Not simply putting a number after the main character name, not going by the other old standby of having the name followed with a sub-title to indicate sequel (just think Batman Returns, or Matrix Reloaded). They knew how to call it a Batman movie without even having to have his name in the title. How cool is that?
And it's in my estimate that THIS will be the premiere comic movie of all, and even with Iron Man's already establisshed box office success, will kick his Iron Butt!!!! Now some of you IronMan fans may dispute me. But I ask you this - what is it that truly makes the hero movies? Why the villains of course, the key counter point to the main character. It is the compelling nature of the villain that provies the challange for the main character, that which serves to define him as well bt drawing the contrast. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with IronMan as a character (again, LOVED the movie) but lets face it, NO villain in his entire rogues gallery comes even close to the intense evil of the Joker. Joker really IS the elite of comic villains, which will provide an awesome challenge and counter point for Batman in this movie.
But there is a poll here, so evn with one already being out, vote for your favorite adaptation of 2008 :D

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AdobeArtist  Moderator

ooooo, and I just saw that Trailer 3 for Dark Knight is up on the Warner Bros site. A MUST see :D

Trailer 3

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Iron Man was fantastic, but the Hulk movie... well, I'll wait and see. It looks like they've done a better job on focusing on the raw capability of the Hulk in combat, but the trailer didn't do too much for me. I'll check the reviews. As for The Dark Knight, well it looks fantastic, but the new Harvey Dent only reminds me of how tragic it is that Billy Dee Williams, who played Harvey Dent in Batman, never wound up playing Two Face.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
i'm guessing batman because Bale and Ledger look like they do an amazing job.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

I was so disappointed that they had farking Scarecrow as the main villain in Batman Begins. I mean, come on...Scarecrow? Seriously? Joker is probably my second favorite villain of all time, bested only by Darth Vader. He may be a lunatic in every sense of the word, but he's perhaps one of the smartest nutjobs you will ever encounter. He doesn't need super powers or artificial advantages to bring the heroes to their knees. No, he goes straight for the mind, and he is such an expert at being bat**** crazy that he knows EXACTLY what to do to make them snap. Also, I've yet to find a villain who dispatches people in completely unforgettable ways as the Joker does. I mean, having a 'BANG!' flag unfurl out of a gun after pulling a trigger...only to shoot out and impale the victim in the chest a few seconds later? I don't think it's possible to top that. And, of course;

"Bob, gun!"

*Hands gun over to Joker*

*Joker shoots Bob*

He is just so damned unpredictable that it boggles the mind. Is his lapel flower going to shoot acid? Or maybe it will be lethal laughing gas. Perhaps arsenic. Or, just water. And it is this total instability, both in his methods and mind, that has earned him the honor of being the only villain that the DC super-villains fear. That's right, people with super powers are afraid of this psycho in a suit. He is that badass, folks. To quote the villain Trickster; "When super-villains want to scare each other, they tell Joker stories".

The fact that Heath Ledger seems to have captured what the Joker truly is perfectly, I have no doubt that The Dark knight will be the best comic movie this year, if not the bloody decade.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

I also liked the Joker's ultimate plan in The Dark Knight Returns. He kicked the s*** out of Batman by dying.

I was very skeptical about Iron Man but I guess since everyone says it's good I'll have to go see it now.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts

I was so disappointed that they had farking Scarecrow as the main villain in Batman Begins. I mean, come on...Scarecrow? Seriously? Joker is probably my second favorite villain of all time, bested only by Darth Vader. He may be a lunatic in every sense of the word, but he's perhaps one of the smartest nutjobs you will ever encounter. He doesn't need super powers or artificial advantages to bring the heroes to their knees. No, he goes straight for the mind, and he is such an expert at being bat**** crazy that he knows EXACTLY what to do to make them snap. Also, I've yet to find a villain who dispatches people in completely unforgettable ways as the Joker does. I mean, having a 'BANG!' flag unfurl out of a gun after pulling a trigger...only to shoot out and impale the victim in the chest a few seconds later? I don't think it's possible to top that. And, of course;

"Bob, gun!"

*Joker shoots Bob*

He is just so damned unpredictable that it boggles the mind. Is his lapel flower going to shoot acid? Or maybe it will be lethal laughing gas. Perhaps arsenic. Or, just water. And it is this total instability, both in his methods and mind, that has earned him the honor of being the only villain that the DC super-villains fear. That's right, people with super powers are afraid of this psycho in a suit. He is that badass, folks. To quote the villain Trickster; "When super-villains want to scare each other, they tell Joker stories".

The fact that Heath Ledger seems to have captured what the Joker truly is perfectly, I have no doubt that The Dark knight will be the best comic movie this year, if not the bloody decade.

Verge_6

I have to agree with everything you say. The Joker is also one of my favorite villains as well. You just don't know what he's going to do next One thing he's po0isoning a group with laughing gas and he'll be making girls fall into deadly pits in another. You just don't know what's going to happen next. Heath Ledger did a great job of capturing the insanity of the Joker. That's why I'm hyped for The Dark Knight

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AdobeArtist  Moderator

"Bob, gun!"

*Joker shoots Bob*

Verge_6

While from a casual observation, it may seem as though Scarecrow was the main villain of the piece, if you really examine the movie fully, it was in fact Ra's Al Guhl. Not the decoy at the beginning, the real Ra's who turns up in Bruce's mansion later on. Since his screen time was more obscure than Scarecrow's, I guess I can see how it would be perceived the other way around.

But really, it's the role Ra's plays which has the greater significance in Batman's life. It's he who plays mentor, he who serves as the counter point to the main character. While Scarecrow is providing the crime element for Batman to combat, it's Ra's who provides the true challenge for Batman, the challenge of his worldview and his very convictions - making him look at his approach to his goal. He doesn't want to destroy Batman like the typical badguy does. He wants to TURN him, to bring him to his own cause. And that is a far more significant antagonist role. Like I said, he's seen less than Scarecrow, it's just the way a true master villain operates - in the background, from the shadows, where manipulation and subterfuge are his weapons. But his presense is still there nonetheless. Don't forget the whole time Scarecrow is working for Ra's.

And I can't agree more about the Joker. What really makes him terrifying is his complete absense of reason and having no concept of consequence. Even with most hardened criminals, you can understand what motivates and drives them - protecting what they care about at the expense of all else (their home, their family), being angry at the system thus fighting back, revenge against those who wronged them, desparation compelling the need to break the law to survive, and of course just plain greed.

And while their actions may be deplorable, there's still reason behind it. If you understand what drives them, you may be able to counter them. You might be able to bribe them, plead with them, make them fear you more than what they feared that drove them to their actions in the 1st place. But with Joker, it's pure chaos and insanity. He doesn't care about power, wealth, or territory. If he sets out to kill you, there's nothing you can do to change his course of action. He can't be pleaded with or bribed. He'll just do it because he wants to, and that's that. He lives in his own world and completely disconnected from concepets of right and wrong. Even criminals know what they're doing is wrong, but they find their own justifications (my needs come first, it's dog eat dog, every man for himself, law of the jungle, the system is what's corrupt, etc...). But Joker doesn't even need to have a reason, or the need to justify his actions. He'll just act on any impulse that passes through his demented mind, with no regard to social mores. In other words, he'll do it just for the sheer hell of it. To him, killing is a light hearted diversion, what he sees as an amusing prank.

For good reason, other normal criminals fear this insanely evil clown

-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
The Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to Hulk.
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blizzvalve
Aftter seeing how bad Hulk was, I don't expect anything better with the new movie
grapefruit21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 grapefruit21
Member since 2007 • 3537 Posts
Dark Night without a shadow of a doubt. Batman is already the best comic book character and the best twist on superheroes, no power. Plus the movie looks well done.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Verge_6

Aftter seeing how bad Hulk was, I don't expect anything better with the new movieblizzvalve

Except this one isn't being developed by Ang Lee. No hour-long wait to see the Hulk, no stupid daddy-issues, no farking irradiated poodles...

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="blizzvalve"]Aftter seeing how bad Hulk was, I don't expect anything better with the new movieVerge_6

Except this one isn't being developed by Ang Lee. No hour-long wait to see the Hulk, no stupid daddy-issues, no farking irradiated poodles...

Believe me I can understand the apprehension about a new Hulk movie after the train wreck of the first. But as pointed out, as was done with Rise of the Silver Surfer, this is being handled by an entirely different team. New writer, new director, new producer, new cast, hell they probably even replaced the stage hands and craft services crew, lol.

Now I'm not saying this is going to be the best comic movie ever, probably not on the same level as Spider Man, X Men, or Batman. But again, SEE the new trailer (linked in the OP). This definitely looks like a vast improvement and if nothing else, will fair itself as a decent comic movie. It shows promise.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts

I was so disappointed that they had farking Scarecrow as the main villain in Batman Begins. I mean, come on...Scarecrow? Seriously?

Verge_6

Ra's Al Ghul was the main villain, not Scarecrow.

Also, I can't f'in wait for the Spirit and Watchmen, even though Watchmen is coming out in 2009.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AdobeArtist  Moderator
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

I was so disappointed that they had farking Scarecrow as the main villain in Batman Begins. I mean, come on...Scarecrow? Seriously?

Redmoonxl2

I actually replied to that too. Read above :)

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"][QUOTE="Verge_6"]

AdobeArtist

I actually replied to that too. Read above :)

Yeah, I just noticed. :P

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
I think it's awkward for the comic book/movie industry as a whole for them to have a do-over of the first Hulk film. Do you think they feel the awkardness, the people involved?
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Verge_6

I think it's awkward for the comic book/movie industry as a whole for them to have a do-over of the first Hulk film. Do you think they feel the awkardness, the people involved?Mordred19

Oh, I KNOW they're feeling the awkwardness. I imagine that there's some frustration with having to follow up from that needlessly 'deep' and dramatic Ang Lee Hulk as wekk. I mean, they're all clearly fans of that green machine, and to see him get so horribly butchered and having that flop of a film potentially damning their more appropriate version must be aggravating.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Mordred19"]I think it's awkward for the comic book/movie industry as a whole for them to have a do-over of the first Hulk film. Do you think they feel the awkardness, the people involved?Verge_6

Oh, I KNOW they're feeling the awkwardness. I imagine that there's some frustration with having to follow up from that needlessly 'deep' and dramatic Ang Lee Hulk as wekk. I mean, they're all clearly fans of that green machine, and to see him get so horribly butchered and having that flop of a film potentially damning their more appropriate version must be aggravating.

They couldn't put it off for a couple of years more? The problem is just that it's so damn soon after the other one.

chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"]

Redmoonxl2

Also, I can't f'in wait for the Spirit and Watchmen, even though Watchmen is coming out in 2009.

Don't forget Sin City 2. Dunno when that's supposed to come out but it's coming alright.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Screw Iron Man.

He sided with the Registration Act and locked several super-powered beings in the Negative Zone, taking away all of their civil liberties.

At least Spider-Man changed sides when he found he was wrong.

Yeah, Reed Richards, so much for your whole "we have to follow all the laws" shtick.

CAPTAIN AMERICA FOREVER!

>_>

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Who here has seen Iron Man?
lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts

Who here has seen Iron Man?Jandurin

me

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts

From worst to best

3. Iron Man

2. The Hulk

1. Dark Knight

I've already seen Iron Man, and i'll be seeing The Hulk and Dark Knight when they come out.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AdobeArtist  Moderator

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Who here has seen Iron Man?lafigueroa

me

*raises hand*

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
[QUOTE="lafigueroa"]

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Who here has seen Iron Man?AdobeArtist

me

*raises hand*

My
kage_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kage_53
Member since 2006 • 12671 Posts

Iron Man movie am best comic book movie ever made

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

I really liked Iron Man. First thing that comes to mind when thinking about the movie was the awesome animations and graphics on that suit of his. If one would ever get a hard on from a piece of rendered metal it would be from this movie.

I also liked the movie as a whole, however it's one of those movies that are good the first time you see it, but then not so much later on.

Too much talking, too much nothing going on is what made the movie not so pleasurable a second time.

I usually love seeing good comic book movies over and over, but this one was more driven by actual dialouge and character interactions and less about the actual superhero doing his thing, so while it made for a great first impression and an awesome movie overall it's just not something I feel holds up to my other favorites from the genre.

As for the Hulk, the trailer I saw before Iron Man was enough to spark my interst. Why? Edward Norton, enough said. Still, it looks a lot better even without him.

New Batman movie? I can't see them doing any worse than the original ones, and I didn't feel the time it took me to watch those was a waste so I'm all for it.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AdobeArtist  Moderator

I really liked Iron Man. First thing that comes to mind when thinking about the movie was the awesome animations and graphics on that suit of his. If one would ever get a hard on from a piece of rendered metal it would be from this movie.

I also liked the movie as a whole, however it's one of those movies that are good the first time you see it, but then not so much later on.

Too much talking, too much nothing going on is what made the movie not so pleasurable a second time.

I usually love seeing good comic book movies over and over, but this one was more driven by actual dialouge and character interactions and less about the actual superhero doing his thing, so while it made for a great first impression and an awesome movie overall it's just not something I feel holds up to my other favorites from the genre.

As for the Hulk, the trailer I saw before Iron Man was enough to spark my interst. Why? Edward Norton, enough said. Still, it looks a lot better even without him.

New Batman movie? I can't see them doing any worse than the original ones, and I didn't feel the time it took me to watch those was a waste so I'm all for it.

Cook66

umm, maybe I'm reading that last paragraph wrong. But it comes from a place of not having seen Batman Begins (or even known about it), the 1st film starring Christian Bale, which had nothing to do with the Burton/Schoemaker movies. Was in fact a new beginning for the franchise. THAT was the movie which really got Batman DONE RIGHT on film. And of course Dark Knight is the sequel to that, not the previous generation :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Old Batman > Batman Begins.

Batman Begins was good though.

Iron Man was pretty awesome.

I wish they'd explained... you know...

SPOILARS

[spoiler] How the magnet kept the shrapnel from piercing other things like veins and arteries and such. All it did was keep them from his heart? :? And then, when she pulled out the magnet, he just put in the glowy arc thingie and was all fine and stuff? [/spoiler]

I really enjoyed it though.

My mom made me take her for Mother's Day. My mom is awesome. She likes action movies so much :lol:

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Superhero movies are a big thing lately. X-Men, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, IronMan... all of them pretty damn good.

People are complaining about it, but then Iron Man came out and has shut everybody up :P.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Old Batman > Batman Begins.

Jandurin

You mean the Burton and Schoemaker movies? Or the Adam West TV show? Either way, there are SO many levels of wrongness there, I wouldn't even know where to begin!!! :P The 1st Burton movie with Keaton and Nicholson was good, don't get me wrong there. But ohhh did that series fall from grace starting with Batman Returns. Batman Begins puts them all to so much shame, even the 1st. I even go on record that Adam West is the worst thing ever to happen to Batman. Oh yes, I went there.

Speaking as a long time comic collector and particularily a fan of Batman, this is the movie that really got it RIGHT. The tone, the history, the nuances, the character work (both for main and supporting), the execution, all came together to bring the Batman from the pages to fully realized flesh. And Dark Knight is going to be a tour de force of comic book adaptation.

But Jandurin, you are so damn lucky to have the kind of mom you do. I mean it's rare enough to have a dad who can be into super heroes, but a mom?? Wow, just wow :lol::lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

I agree. ONLY the Keaton/Nicholson Batman was any good of that unfortunate "series" of movies. But, it was DAMN good.

And, that Batman is better than Batman Begins :x

Yeah. Both my parents are rather unique :P

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ontain

I agree. ONLY the Keaton/Nicholson Batman was any good of that unfortunate "series" of movies. But, it was DAMN good.

Yeah. Both my parents are rather unique :P

Jandurin

I liked the Batman Begins much more. although the original was good, it wasn't as true to the character of batman. he was gunning down guys in that movie with the batplane. it was much more of a burton movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Pfft. If I want original, I'll read all my Batman comic books.

I don't think Batman Begins feels any more "Batman" than the Keaton one.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ontain

Pfft. If I want original, I'll read all my Batman comic books.

I don't think Batman Begins feels any more "Batman" than the Keaton one.

Jandurin

I like Keaton's Batman. and Jack's joker but i don't like how Burton made Batman kill criminals like he did. also didn't like the joker being the one that shot Bruce's parents.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
I like Keaton's Batman. and Jack's joker but i don't like how Burton made Batman kill criminals like he did. also didn't like the joker being the one that shot Bruce's parents.Ontain
Yeah. Fair enough.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AdobeArtist  Moderator

I just got a killer idea for Grand Theft Auto V. It should take place in Gotham City. I can just see the new main character trying to jack the Batmobile... and getting trumped by its advanced security system :lol: :lol:

But think of the other possibilities;

* not just having police chases, trying to outrun the Batmobile
* encountering other Gotham cast memebers when on foot missions, like Huntress, Nightwing, etc...
* missions where you're working as part of Joker's gang, and even other villains like Riddler and Penguine
* a mission where you have to steal something before Catwoman does
* having an M rated seduction encounter with Catwoman :oops:

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts

Jandurin
Seriously? Sorry, I'm going to have to join in the disagreement. I didn't really like the Tim Burton "Batman" movie all that much. I just saw it for the first time two weeks ago and was rather unimpressed. First off, I have to say, Jack's portrayal of The Joker was fantastic. Unfortunately, he was the only good thing in that movie. Michael "There are expressions other than grim determination?" Keaton was horrible as Batman, doing little to be imposing or, for that matter, act. Of course, that leads to bigger problems with Batman himself. Batman is pretty much awful throughout the movie. Far, far too many times the fim relies on the established "Oh, Batman can't be hurt by bullets!" thing, to the point where it makes him seem much less imposing and more rote and predictable. And then using that exact same trick when he's not in costume when The Joker shows up at the throwaway love interest's apartment in a ridiculous way... it just made me lose respect for Batman. Throw in the limitations of when it was made (Batman swooping down on criminals looks lame, not intimidating) and that some parts of the movie just seemed to be done to look cool and were obnoxiously irritating in doing so (like when the plane flys over the moon, my eyes nearly rolled out of my head), and the whole thing just felt unsatisfying. If it weren't for Jack Nicholson (and the tidalwave of talent and charisma that is Billy Dee Williams), the whole movie would be a waste. In fact, I prefer Batman Forever to Batman (this conclusion reached after watching them back-to-back). Val Kilmer actually outacts Michael Keaton, creating a Batman that seems more like Batman, and the villian pairing of Tommy Lee Jones and Jim Carrey was fantastic. It was just a better and much more enjoyable movie.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Seriously? Sorry, I'm going to have to join in the disagreement. Hoffgod
I'll argue til you're blue in the face. :o

Of course, I was 7 when it came out, and I saw it in theater at a midnight showing. So that might be influencing me. But, nostalgia > reality, that's why Ocarina of Time is seen as better than Twilight Princess, for instance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Val Kilmer is better than Keaton, I just watched the Doors again last night.
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AdobeArtist  Moderator

Looks like Batman has a landslide lead in the poll. And while this thread will be going on for a while as the other movies release, I figure I'll switch up the polls once in a while. So now we move on to - which is the best Batman logo.

The 1st is the original as it appeared in 1939, and for the duration of the 40s, what's referred to as the Golden Age.

The next one debut in the Silver Age (60s and 70s) but was prevailant for the longest time, so I'm calling that the C|assic logo.

And of course the reinvention that came about with Batman Begins, the Updated logo.

I have to say, the 1st time I saw the Updated logo, I was kinda offset by it. I was so used to the C|assic logo, and thought it was a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I loved it's sharp curves and dynamic symmetry. But I have to say, the Updated logo has grown on me now, with it's slick streamlined look.

So what say the rest of you?

This is the best image of the Golden Age logo that I can find.

The C|assic logo long established

The new (and improved?) Updated logo

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mordred19
The updated logo reminds me of the Reich Eagle. :o
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AdobeArtist  Moderator

The updated logo reminds me of the Reich Eagle. :oMordred19

You... you take that BACK!!! :evil::evil:

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blizzvalve
Classic logo forever
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Mordred19"]The updated logo reminds me of the Reich Eagle. :oAdobeArtist

You... you take that BACK!!! :evil::evil:

Dude, it all makes sense now! Batman is der Ubermensch! :P

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Verge_6

The updated logo reminds me of the Reich Eagle. :oMordred19

Hmmmmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
What is this I hear about the Hulk? Is this a new Incredible Hulk, unrelated to the... other recent movie?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdobeArtist  Moderator

What is this I hear about the Hulk? Is this a new Incredible Hulk, unrelated to the... other recent movie?Jandurin

It is kind of a sequel. It doesn't start over in the sense where they have to go over the origins, that's already happened in the 1st movie. In fact from the trailer you can see it starts in South America where we last saw Bruce Banner, and the government is after him for the secrets in his mutated genes that they want to harness as a weapon.

But it IS a new writer, dirctor, producer team, with a completely different cast behind this. So chronologically it may be a follow up, from from a "series" point of view (like how we regard the Burton and Schoemacker movies as a series seperate from Nolan), it's a new starting point.

That clear things up? :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Who here has seen Iron Man?Jandurin

Yo.