This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Because I felt this board needed one.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

Maybe we can have the forum back when Game finishes his novel.

I watched Tinker Tailor a few nights ago, it was awesome. I could see why it was not an oscar magnet though, it wasn't braindead enough. :O 

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I watched Evil Dead last night for the first time. Not my kind of horror, and I didn't like the ending, but I was entertained. 3/5

I only ended up watching it because I just discovered Army of Darkness Defense on iOS, which is a pretty awesome game. It was even free when I got it, though it probably isn't anymore.

Oh, also video games are for dumb babies.

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

"For your inner Ebert"

So this is the thread for reviewing films that we don't understand?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

The Hunger Games (watched without reading the books) 8/10

There wasn't enough "world building" and history for my taste, but it was well paced and the characters well made. Katniss is the anti-Bella, and thank goodness. Though ironically, a Breaking Dawn trailer was in the previews.

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 110million

"For your inner Ebert"

Foolz3h

Ebert does a pretty good job, he justifies his views very well and more often than not he is spot on.  

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 110million

There wasn't enough "world building" and history for my taste, but it was well paced and the characters well made. Katniss is the anti-Bella, and thank goodness. Though ironically, a Breaking Dawn trailer was in the previews.

jimkabrhel

Oh yeah, I saw that too. Same situation, without reading book. I'd give it a 7/10, it was pretty good. Sometimes I can feel when something is clearly an adaptation of something else, with the speed at which it goes through things it makes that pretty obvious. On the opposite side of the spectrum, though it has a lot more time to adapt the book, Game of Thrones as a TV show feels very much like its own thing. 

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 FireSpirit117
Member since 2012 • 1926 Posts
The Hunger Games (4/5) Good movie, if a little slow in some parts. The movie got me thinking: how come the fashion sense in the future always looks stupid? I've noticed this a lot in movies (Brazil, Back To The Future, Fifth Element, etc.).
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]

"For your inner Ebert"

110million

Ebert does a pretty good job, he justifies his views very well and more often than not he is spot on.

He does not understand even vaguely complex films, and when reviewing them we are given a description of his inability to understand them, then a ham-fisted conclusion as to whether he enjoyed what he did not understand. This would be okay if he couldn't comprehend highly complex films; okay they're just not for him, but often he reviews mainstream films that are slightly out of the norm and is left looking like an idiot.

Most of the time he is good, though. Just don't get him out of his very limited comfort zone.

The movie got me thinking: how come the fashion sense in the future always looks stupid? I've noticed this a lot in movies (Brazil, Back To The Future, Fifth Element, etc.). FireSpirit117

Because it's an exagerrated, garish version of the fashion when the film was made.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b78379493e12

The Hunger Games (4/5) Good movie, if a little slow in some parts. The movie got me thinking: how come the fashion sense in the future always looks stupid? I've noticed this a lot in movies (Brazil, Back To The Future, Fifth Element, etc.). FireSpirit117

I have to agree with that statement. I didn't like the fashion of the Capitol at all, although it did make a very stark contrast to the clothes of the districts.

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FireSpirit117

[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]The Hunger Games (4/5) Good movie, if a little slow in some parts. The movie got me thinking: how come the fashion sense in the future always looks stupid? I've noticed this a lot in movies (Brazil, Back To The Future, Fifth Element, etc.). jimkabrhel

I have to agree with that statement. I didn't like the fashion of the Capitol at all, although it did make a very stark contrast to the clothes of the districts.

Yeah I don't know if it's just the Capitol that dresses like that (I haven't read the books). BTW, I've been seeing a lot of deadmau5 avatars and sigs lately. Something happen lately or is it just coincidence?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="FireSpirit117"]The Hunger Games (4/5) Good movie, if a little slow in some parts. The movie got me thinking: how come the fashion sense in the future always looks stupid? I've noticed this a lot in movies (Brazil, Back To The Future, Fifth Element, etc.). FireSpirit117

Yeah I don't know if it's just the Capitol that dresses like that (I haven't read the books). BTW, I've been seeing a lot of deadmau5 avatars and sigs lately. Something happen lately or is it just coincidence?

Maybe his appearance at the Grammy's raised his profile enough that people are really starting to pay attention. One of my students suggested his music and I immediately liked it.

On topic: some of the costumes reminded me of the Dune mini-series on the SyFy channel. Rich = bright colors, poor = drab.

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

jimkabrhel

I agree on the score and I read the books 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Brilliant cinematography, great acting, solid screenplay, but pretty bad in a historical context. I understand that Coppola wanted to portray George S. Patton in a way that will please everyone but it wasn't very historically accurate. They made him seem as someone that didn't care for casualties sustained and was only in it for personal glory, which is utter nonsese. Bernard Montgomery's portrayal was also bizarre. He was a badass British Field Marshall who was portrayed as a blithering idiot just because he was British. The History major in me was annoyed by this but otherwise it was a great film, would recommend.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I just watched the Descendants. It's a great movie but i'm kinda burned out on hollywood A-listers starring in weepy feel-good movies about their wives dying.
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

I just watched the Descendants. It's a great movie but i'm kinda burned out on hollywood A-listers starring in weepy feel-good movies about their wives dying.Ninja-Hippo

But at least it was written by a Craigular Joe.

FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FireSpirit117
I rewatched Warrior last night with some friends. I just love this movie. 5/5
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]I just watched the Descendants. It's a great movie but i'm kinda burned out on hollywood A-listers starring in weepy feel-good movies about their wives dying.Slow_Show

But at least it was written by a Craigular Joe.

And now i just watched We Bought a Zoo. It's a weepy feel-good movie about a guy's wife dying, starring matt damon. FFS....
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#19 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Watched The Hunger Games. It was decent. Violence was toned down from the book--that was disappointing. But I guess they wanted to appease the tween crowd.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

The Breakfast Club. I'm not a fan of teen dramas, but I do love this movie.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I watched Double Indemnity and Bonnie & Clyde over the weekend.

The former was sharply written, acted, and paced. Some very fine film-noir

The latter was also good, despite some pacing and development issues. The ending was great.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Cherokee_Jack

Hunger Games was pretty good. I'm glad there's a delivery mechanism for the story that isn't a novel, because the author's writing is too young-adult for me to handle. Interested to see the next one.

3/5. Docked 1 point for the character names being wretched.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ninja-Hippo

Hunger Games was alright, but i kinda felt like they spent way too much time preparing for the hunger games and far less actually taking part in them. The books are a little young-adult in the writing department, but one thing they do very well is setting up a sense of dread that death could come at any second which was totally lost in the movie as soon as the initial scrap over the supplies was over. It was promising though, i'd go and see the next one.

EDIT: i think the hunger games also shows how ridiculous film ratings have become. They're completely fine with 12 year olds watching a kid get his throat slit, just make sure there's no blood. Perform the exact same action with a dash of red stuff on the blade and you've got an R rating. Silly system is silly.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cherokee_Jack
Yeah, I definitely found myself wanting it to be R-rated, just so the violence could be a little more impactful. They resorted to quick cuts a lot.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Wonder Woman (2009)

A decent animated film that makes me enjoy the Wonder Woman character more and it's messages, but I felt like the plot moved WAY to fast just to see some action. Then again, I should read some of the comics (maybe after FMA two and three and SE three and four).

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#26 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Silly system is silly.Ninja-Hippo
It's stupid that they focus on trivial matters like actual counting the amount of profanity (they make a mark for each word used), and a huge emphasis on sex. Gruesome violence isn't as bad, but two women having sex (while not showing anything). NC-17!
Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

EDIT: i think the hunger games also shows how ridiculous film ratings have become. They're completely fine with 12 year olds watching a kid get his throat slit, just make sure there's no blood. Perform the exact same action with a dash of red stuff on the blade and you've got an R rating. Silly system is silly.

Ninja-Hippo

Nothing will ever top the Bully controversy: only the MPAA could come to the conclusion "Jinkies! Look at how profane those real kids are in a documentary about bullying! We better make sure kids aren't exposed to that sort of profanity!" and slap an R rating on the film, ensuring it can't be seen in its original form by the very audience it was designed for (for comparsion, us superior Canadians gave it a PG rating).

lafigueroa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lafigueroa
Member since 2004 • 6648 Posts
Reserved for Indie Game: The Movie. Edit: Too Long; Didn't Write: Very nice in execution, but utterly lacking in anything substantial beyond a select few developers (Phil Fish, Jonnathon Blow, and Team Meat) attempting to justify their status as "artists" for why they still live with their parents.
FireSpirit117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireSpirit117
[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]Silly system is silly.Stevo_the_gamer
It's stupid that they focus on trivial matters like actual counting the amount of profanity (they make a mark for each word used), and a huge emphasis on sex. Gruesome violence isn't as bad, but two women having sex (while not showing anything). NC-17!

I don't think that rating even exists anymore. Just about anything can go in an R-rated movie nowadays.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 110million

Hunger Games was pretty good. I'm glad there's a delivery mechanism for the story that isn't a novel, because the author's writing is too young-adult for me to handle. Interested to see the next one.

3/5. Docked 1 point for the character names being wretched.

Cherokee_Jack

Basically. My younger sister was doing a report on the book, had me read some excerts to give an opinion on what she should write, it was kind of painfully... young adult.