jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
Copy and paste job from the other board: Edge magazine(a magazine I have never seen in my entire life, but is apparently note worthy) shared the 15 games it has given a rating of 10 out of 10 since 1996.

And gufu being GUFU, I wanted to see how you would react to all 15 games(read I was aiming for the usual gufu bitch session). What are the 15 games? Also I took this whole idea from Foolz3h's podcast from right here: http://gameunder.net/http/gameunderlibsyncom/rss/2013/8/3/game-under-episode-17

But then little Billy I thought to myself, all we f*cking do here is usually bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch and bitch about something. And I'm really not in the mood to argue for why without a shadow of a doubt to anyone with a working brain that Grand Theft Auto 4 is the least deserving of a 10 on that list of 15 games. So how about we aim for something more positive: I want you to pick out 1 game from that 15 that you felt is the MOST deserving of the praise given it, why it's excellent(or if you really hate all those games that much, the least shit of those games?), and all that jazz.

Also bonus: 2 games you feel like should belong on that list of games that were given a 10.

Side note: a 10 out of 10 does not mean perfection. That seems to be the go to reaction here. Being flawless is virtually impossible, and any scale where the highest mark is for perfection would be a stupid scale. No the 10 is reserved for the elite, the top of the line, one of the all time greats in its genre or in this medium as a whole. So spare everyone the "I'm above that" shit, you're not. You swallow semen.

Here are the 15 games.

1: Super Mario 64
2: Gran Turismo 1
3: Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
4: Halo: Combat Evolved
5: Half Life 2
6: Halo 3
7: The Orange Box
8: Super Mario Galaxy
9: Grand Theft Auto 4
10: Little Big Planet
11: Bayonetta
12: Super Mario Galaxy 2
13: Rock Band 3
14: Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
15: The Last of Us

Anyway my picks

[spoiler]

Bayonetta: The easy answer was actually Mario Galaxy 2. 242 stars, I only really hate the wiimote centric levels like the ball and the bird. So I didn't feel like going with the easy one. My pick is actually gonna be Bayonetta. As far as I'm concerned excellent from beginning to end. As lousy as some of those quick time event evade exploding building things are or the f*cking sega homages to Space Harrier and some other shit that overstay their welcome that game is sublime.

The combat system is both accessible and disgustingly deep with options that you could go 10 playthroughs and still find something new and awesome to add to your move lists. The pacing is actually surprisingly well done as the game progressively builds up its brand of crazy into even more insane yet somehow still satisfying spectacles. It even does recycling boss fights in a way that not only doesn't feel lame, but actually is effective for how it wants the player to feel(Powerful). A shit load unlockables, a grading system and difficulties that more than test the player should they really want to master the game(Platinums or bust), a metric-ton of cancels, oh and some kick ass boss fights. Oh and the soundtrack does not get enough love. And the game is incredibly replayable for all of it on top of being excellent enough to be worthy of another spin in the disc tray.

And when it really comes down to it. The only 2 action/beat em up games in its class are Ninja Gaiden Black and Devil May Cry 3. And frankly its a slicker game than both NGB and DMC3, has less bland levels than DMC3, and has a deeper battle system than Ninja Gaiden Black. It just lacks their raw up front difficulty.

Then again That Rodin fight was pretty f*cking difficult. Repeat is difficult(I still haven't beat it).

So yeah Bayonetta

As for 2 games I would argue deserve to be on that list of games given a 10

1: Resident Evil 4
2: Metroid Prime

[/spoiler]

Also yes you can take into account the year it was made and in relation to the games of that era.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts
Yeah, you already know my thoughts on one of those games, so...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jg4xchamp
Yeah, you already know my thoughts on one of those games, so...nintendoboy16
And it would have jack shit to do with what I'm asking in this thread.

I'm asking of those 15 what do you think most deserves it, and as a bonus 2 games you feel like should be on that list, but aren't on that list. Basic.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

I'll pick a couple on the list: SMG1 (though SM64 was great too) and OoT as those stick out to me most there. 

Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
A 10 for Metroid Prime I'm cool with. Everything else, nah. But I could (and haven't) only play the PS3 version of Bayonetta if I wanted to, which would obviously make it a -10/10.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jg4xchamp
A 10 for Metroid Prime I'm cool with. Everything else, nah. But I could (and haven't) only play the PS3 version of Bayonetta if I wanted to, which would obviously make it a -10/10.Foolz3h
That's the Tom Towers Scale

10=Metroid Prime
9= Games that are amazing, but they aren't Metroid Prime?
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts

[QUOTE="Foolz3h"]A 10 for Metroid Prime I'm cool with. Everything else, nah. But I could (and haven't) only play the PS3 version of Bayonetta if I wanted to, which would obviously make it a -10/10.jg4xchamp
That's the Tom Towers Scale

10=Metroid Prime
9= Games that are amazing, but they aren't Metroid Prime?

And it's a damn fine scale.