Saxondale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Saxondale
Member since 2011 • 143 Posts

I know the topic makes me sound like a wuss but I can curse like a longshoreman with tourettes when provoked. It's just that this is...too much. The occasional f-bomb? Sure, ok. Need to season the dialogue a bit with garden variety profanity? Fine. But GTAV's writing is gratuitous and infantile. It ruins the experience. I get that this is supposed to be satire on some level - a caricature of our post-modern nihilistic, consumerist, kleptocracratic, dumbed down culture, etc. But this isn't even good satire. The writing is just atrocious. At least with some kind of profanity filter I could follow the mission plots without having to turn the volume completely down. Again, I don't mind some profanity in a game but this fast becomes nails on a chalkboard. 

When GTAV hits PC I guarantee a profanity filter will be one of the earliest mods available, since I will create one. 

Oh, and you're right. I probably should be more concerned about the game's objectification of women and its sadistic violence instead of some swear words. But you expect sex and violence in a GTA game. What you don't expect from Rockstar is entirely juvenile writing. 

SinisterCamel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SinisterCamel
Member since 2008 • 309 Posts

Well maybe you should expect it from Rockstar now and avoid the next game. I'm sorry you're so offended. You might consider Rockstar's writing juvenile, but that's the way they wrote it and there's no going around it at this point. Either suck it up, skip the cutscenes, or just don't play it altogether.

Avatar image for TAGGER_SK8ER101
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Hahahaha, no chance bud. Guess I'm used to profanity, cause it never bothered me once.
GD-1369211121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 GD-1369211121
Member since 2006 • 4087 Posts

There never was in any other GTA game, so I doubt it. Cannot wait for that PC version.

Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
I would kinda agree with you that they overly use profanity, but it's just the way it is. I'm already turning off the radio since most of the stations are gangster rap that i just don't care about. Not since VC has a GTA had a decent radio playlist with SA and V being the worst (mostly because it is almost all rap which i'm not a big fan of very much). Franklin is probably the worst offender, but i guess it's realistic and trevor is obviously insane, but at least with him i can sometimes laugh at what he says.
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TAGGER_SK8ER101
I would kinda agree with you that they overly use profanity, but it's just the way it is. I'm already turning off the radio since most of the stations are gangster rap that i just don't care about. Not since VC has a GTA had a decent radio playlist with SA and V being the worst (mostly because it is almost all rap which i'm not a big fan of very much). Franklin is probably the worst offender, but i guess it's realistic and trevor is obviously insane, but at least with him i can sometimes laugh at what he says.Kurushio
Dude, you know there are only 2 rap stations right?
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
Maybe only 2 rap only stations, but there are a few more where they do play rap and really besides a couple of rock songs, i really cant stand any of the music. I love country music as well, but they choose to go old back country type of country that is a bit too pure country for me. I would have been happy if maybe only the high end cars had a dock for your iFruit to play custom music or maybe do a car mod in the car shop for each car. It's not that i hate all rap or even all the rap songs in the game, it's just not worth listening to the station for 1 song that i'm kinda ok with. Listening to Rihanna with Trevor on a scooter is very funny though. Also once he changed the station because he didnt like it which was great.
linkdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 linkdarkside
Member since 2003 • 6279 Posts

dont play GTA games then.

Draken_Domingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Draken_Domingo
Member since 2004 • 185 Posts

You haven't been outside much, have you

fanirama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 fanirama
Member since 2003 • 1245 Posts
This is exactly what I'm wondering too. I have 2 young kids in the house and I cannot play till they go to bed. And my parents occasionally watch the game with me so I was in for a rude shock with very profane words being used. Now, I couldn't care less about it, but I browsed the menus to see if it could be turned off. It was jarring in the presence of my parents even though I'm a grown man with kids. The game itself is spectacular. I'd easily rate it a 9.9/10. It is freaking HUGE with loads of things to do. However, the black guy and Trevor scare me along with Michael's wife because I don't know what adult situation to expect in front of my parents. LOL.
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Dont even play as Trevor around them, haha.
GONtheSKYLORD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GONtheSKYLORD
Member since 2008 • 3042 Posts

Yes. Just hit the mute button bro. You're welcome.

ccgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 ccgod
Member since 2003 • 7915 Posts
Yea hit mute lol
BarkDogRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BarkDogRX7
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Perhaps you should go play Lego (Anything) for the rest fo your life then

Avatar image for deactivated-584419ec3a052
deactivated-584419ec3a052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 deactivated-584419ec3a052
Member since 2012 • 333 Posts
I would have appreciated that option too. A bit here and there I don't mind, but it's awkward with other people in the house hearing the N word 3 times every sentence.
dastud2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dastud2007
Member since 2005 • 268 Posts

No, I can't. Sorry.

Avatar image for AggrandizedUser
AggrandizedUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AggrandizedUser
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

boo hoo. Profanity is the least offensive part of a GTA game. If you have a problem with the profanity, the rest of GTA certainly isn't going to be you cup of tea.

Hoffymann07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Hoffymann07
Member since 2010 • 79 Posts
Sad to see that even though your thoughts were typed out so well that all some people could muster was, "Well don't play the game!" Too bad this was all that came to their mind since you obviously put a lot of thought and effort into stating what you have. There are so many games where I feel that profanity and heavy sexual tones detracted from the experience. While I don't choose to play these games or really criticize those who do, it does make me wish that companies would realize that in many instances these things are not even necessary for their game to be enjoyable. I have watched a lot of GTAV on streams, and all I can say is that for such a well made game, the content they choose to weave through the gameplay is definitely something that, for me, makes the game forgettable.
dastud2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dastud2007
Member since 2005 • 268 Posts

Sad to see that even though your thoughts were typed out so well that all some people could muster was, "Well don't play the game!" Too bad this was all that came to their mind since you obviously put a lot of thought and effort into stating what you have. There are so many games where I feel that profanity and heavy sexual tones detracted from the experience. While I don't choose to play these games or really criticize those who do, it does make me wish that companies would realize that in many instances these things are not even necessary for their game to be enjoyable. I have watched a lot of GTAV on streams, and all I can say is that for such a well made game, the content they choose to weave through the gameplay is definitely something that, for me, makes the game forgettable.Hoffymann07

Sorry that they didn't make this game perfect to your wants and needs.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
Hahahaha, no chance bud. Guess I'm used to profanity, cause it never bothered me once.TAGGER_SK8ER101
this, I dont hardly notice it.
Darkhearted91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkhearted91
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
The "N" word is apart of any ghetto hood black person's vocabulary and its placement it completely natural and fluid so when you hear it and youre in a room full of only middle class 9-5 white people just remember if there are no black people around its ok
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Haha, is the profanity that bad? I never got any complaints, and the "n word" is used commonly around here. So everything's in the norm.
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Sad to see that even though your thoughts were typed out so well that all some people could muster was, "Well don't play the game!" Too bad this was all that came to their mind since you obviously put a lot of thought and effort into stating what you have. There are so many games where I feel that profanity and heavy sexual tones detracted from the experience. While I don't choose to play these games or really criticize those who do, it does make me wish that companies would realize that in many instances these things are not even necessary for their game to be enjoyable. I have watched a lot of GTAV on streams, and all I can say is that for such a well made game, the content they choose to weave through the gameplay is definitely something that, for me, makes the game forgettable.Hoffymann07
The content makes the game GTA. Have you even played the older ones?
chenzo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chenzo22
Member since 2004 • 372 Posts
i like this topic a lot. it reminds me when i had my granddad over MY HOUSE and he told me to turn the channel and then stop playing the game. it was vice city and san andreas on the tv. he couldn't stand the cursing at all, lol! the next time i just muted it so he couldnt say anything but i thought it was funny. but rockstar just doesnt give a.....care, lol! the language is a big part of what makes this game so maybe thats why they didnt think to put in a filter or something.
TAGGER_SK8ER101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TAGGER_SK8ER101
Exactly
rbarrphd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rbarrphd
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
You cannot turn off the profanity because the game creators are worthless vermin that have no morals and only care about money. They probably do not understand what the word means. I hope that they never have children and that they spend the rest of their waking lives in front of some screen; or shape up and find something positive to do with their lives to make it a better world.
odgnj5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 odgnj5
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts

You can use the mute button and read subtitles.

odgnj5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 odgnj5
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts
You cannot turn off the profanity because the game creators are worthless vermin that have no morals and only care about money. They probably do not understand what the word means. I hope that they never have children and that they spend the rest of their waking lives in front of some screen; or shape up and find something positive to do with their lives to make it a better world.rbarrphd
Perhaps you haven't read the cover its called Stealing cars with rating M for Mature. That means its for Adults and not kids. Perhaps parents should actually do their job and not expect the world to raise their kids.
jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
[QUOTE="rbarrphd"]You cannot turn off the profanity because the game creators are worthless vermin that have no morals and only care about money. They probably do not understand what the word means. I hope that they never have children and that they spend the rest of their waking lives in front of some screen; or shape up and find something positive to do with their lives to make it a better world.odgnj5
Perhaps you haven't read the cover its called Stealing cars with rating M for Mature. That means its for Adults and not kids. Perhaps parents should actually do their job and not expect the world to raise their kids.

exactly, why people feel the need to complain about the adult stuff that happens in a M rated game is beyond me, that why the rating is there.
Avatar image for AggrandizedUser
AggrandizedUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AggrandizedUser
Member since 2013 • 79 Posts

To be honest, There's a cutscene after you save Lamar from the ballas where I'm sure they use the N word more in that 1 cutscene than they did in the entirity of GTA: San Andreas.

Legolose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Legolose
Member since 2007 • 536 Posts

dont play GTA games then.

linkdarkside
Simple isn't it lol ;)
shark547

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shark547
Member since 2007 • 411 Posts

You cannot turn off the profanity because the game creators are worthless vermin that have no morals and only care about money. They probably do not understand what the word means. I hope that they never have children and that they spend the rest of their waking lives in front of some screen; or shape up and find something positive to do with their lives to make it a better world.rbarrphd

I am thinking this is a joke^^^^( probably not though...)

On top of that,  where do you get off trying to impose your morals and views on other people?  People with your view point are why books get burned.  

I am not sure why anybody would want to play this with people around anyway.  Half the fun is listening to the crazy stuff that they say.  Can't do that with people blabbing at you all the time.

Hermes33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Hermes33
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts

Like others said, it's not so much the profanity, it's the sexual references. Pretty awkward when you're at the strip club or picking up a hooker when family members are watching you play... it's almost as if the game is deliberately designed to isolate yourself from one's family. No disrespect to Rockstar or anything though, I absolutely love their work, but there's still that aspect of GTA to it that tends to distance yourself from your family because of the sexual awkwardness. Intended? Don't know. Or care, actually. I just want Rockstar to keep doing what they're doing, even if it was maliciously intended. Like Ricky Jervais, he's an asshole but still funny and entertaining all the same.

jigaliath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 jigaliath
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@Legolose: I guess it is that simple. None of what Gta5 puts out offends me, but I am offended by stupidity. Some of you don't get the point of being able to change the settings. I won't play a game like this in front of my 10 year old. Not because I don't think he will ever curse, but because he doesn't know yet when NOT TO. I like the game, but I'm not raising trailer trash so I won't be buying this one for another 6 or 7 years. For those of you that can't keep up, that means, the game company won't be getting of my cash. Just say ' n

ThatPinkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ThatPinkDragon
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

Old thread, but yeah. I'd love to get the game if you could turn off the unnecessary vulgarities. Like all the business names, the middle-finger mouse pointer, the phone logo...
It's immature more than anything. It's not funny at that point. Just grating.

tony1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tony1l
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

Amazing that Rockstar uses the 'F bombs' like its carpet bombing the jungles of Vietnam. I want this game to be (adult or mature) but I can't think of proper reasons to defend the constant spewing of curse words when only driving about the city. I want this game to have the shock/awe of the series, but allow the user to turn off the profanity flood. I'm in no way wanting to censor, the issue isn't approving words its their 'over use' Its very much like using too much salt on tasty food until there's no flavor left. They added too much, happens to be curse words, but could have been anything repeated over & over. I'd be for modding it out, not for politically correct prudes sake but just for the shear fact they over did one aspect.

ChainSmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ChainSmoke
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

@odgnj5 said:

Maybe one day when you move out of your parent’s basement that you share with your grandmother you might work out what mature means…

Avatar image for theballisticpie
TheBallisticPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheBallisticPie
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

Although I don't play the game I can understand why they haven't made this an option. It's listed for 18+ (I think) and not for any age below that. However, I think Rockstar Games need to understand that loads of kids play the game because their parents allow them too and they may feel uncomfortable with all the swearing (even though it is there fault, they should've realised or researched it!) I think they should definitely make it an option because some people hate that stuff. On the other hand though, they should maybe create an option that clearly states "IF YOU HATE SWEARING CLICK THE MUTE BUTTON". But then again, that doesn't stop the stripping, does it?

GHOST-Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GHOST-Gaming
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I was wondering if there was an option to turn off the profanity as well. After reading the reply's on this post it's obvious that this game attracts the most ignorant people. I was born and raised in the hood of L.A. unlike most on this post. The profanity is way over used and very juvenile to say the least. It is no secret Americans are the dumbest on the planet and this post confirms that. Some one was asking a legit question and the reply's were straight outta the uneducated, brainwashed realm of the US. No one is asking to change the game...or to make it differently. Simply asking if there is "AN OPTION" to not listen to a second grader from the ghetto to commentate the game. I guess just keep listening to rap and living the life that NO RAPPER lives. Their actors you morons. Most average people or above know America is on it's way down in a hurry but the people on this post make it seem like it's already ended. Have fun living by your rulers (banks and corporations) will and may you be a good citizen and spend your whole life working and in debt. Good luck chumps! BTW it's fun being smart. I love all this money and true freedom. Have fun being poor!

SilentFraggerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SilentFraggerr
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

nope

tinycomet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tinycomet
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

this is akin to asking if someone could remove the sex scenes from that porn video you were watching... lol

gta5on_guide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gta5on_guide
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

no,you can't

sadps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points