gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

There has certainly been a lot of attention around "Let's Play" style videos and whether or not people actually enjoy watching them. What do you folks think about it? Are you a fan of people like PewDiePie, or the folks at Yogscast? Or do you not get why people would rather watch a game than play it themselves? Do you have any favorite Let's Play videos? Let us know.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@GameSpot: I usually watch videos like Angry Joe's Let's Play videos if it's a game that I might like or not. The resent one Angry Joe did was Super Hot Let's Play and after watching the video, it peak my interest in Super Hot. Let's Play are okay cause they do give you an idea if the gameplay is good and should you buy it or not.

Voted: They're Okay.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

I think they're great, I love them.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I'm a fan of them, especially if it's a game I've been wanting to play for a long time, but don't have the chance to buy yet. I do Let's Plays myself, though I haven't been updating very often (note: need to fix this).

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@GameSpot: I really like the idea of let's play. With a cam it's cool. Even more with commentary. And even more if you get a Youtubers that make sense with you. Like for example in my case, I'd hang with a Spanish over skilled princess.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I'd rather play the game then watch someone do it. I've only seen 1 or 2 of pewdiepies video didn't interest me in the slightest. I've gone on twitch a couple of times and same thing. I never understood why someone would want to watch someone else playing a game when I can play it for myself.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Personally i think its a waste of time and as Kimmel i play the games rather then watch some knobend play it and keep yapping.

But with that said that is just my personal opinion and clearly there are millions who like it and all power to them, as long as they do not force me to watch the shit :D

Smallisbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 146

#8 Smallisbig
Member since 2015 • 205 Posts

I only watch LP's of games I really want to play to but I can't because I don't have the right console - or any console at all- (e.g. The Order, The Last Of Us,...). I'm okay with it, even if i rarely watch them. I prefer playing or watching twitch and some youtube subscriptions (Heroes of the storm, mmo's,...)

RaiZdbyDINGOES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RaiZdbyDINGOES
Member since 2013 • 36 Posts

They're ok. I usually use them to see if I would like the game? Reviews are pure opinion based on one person. They fail to see the perspective of a wider audience. For eg: I got both Mad Max and MGSV, and I'm enjoying Mad Max a lot more. Imo it should have atleast averaged a 7 or 8. I think most reviewers were blinded by MGSV. What Mad Max delivers is a perfectly expansive world that is just like being Mad Max. Exploration, Car battles, Fuel rarity, the feeling of isolation in a beautiful desert landscape.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I thought TotalBiscuit does first impressions videos and PC port analysis?

Cherubas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cherubas
Member since 2007 • 54 Posts

I don't think I've ever liked anything with the words "Let's Play" in the title. I watch Gootecks and Mike Ross cause they're skilled enough to be impressive and educational, but they also get salty enough at their losses to be funny and entertaining. I watch things like AVGN and JonTron because they make funny commentary and entertaining cutaways. Sometimes I even watch Angry Joe's reviews, mostly because I want a legitimate detailed opinion on a game before I invest any money in it. Stuff like PewDiePie and Game Grumps and Markiplier though? The random screaming and swearing while struggling through a game with the grace of a stray cat having a seizure on the keyboard? No thanks. That sort of thing I don't see the draw of.

DanielL5583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 166

#12 DanielL5583
Member since 2008 • 1221 Posts

They're a great way to attract interest in a game that would otherwise not be as widely appealing, like Earthbound.

They also give us an insight into how the Let's Player plays the game, and in turn you could work what tactics they use into how you play...assuming they're viable, of course.

Although, I understand why one would say "I'd rather play the game than watch someone else do it", but at the same time, what's the likelihood of you play a game that you've not seen before yet has been covered by a widely known Let's Player?

Heck, I've done Let's Plays. They're nothing special, I must admit, and honestly I kinda wish I did them not only differently but also tried to keep some up...but what I've done, I enjoyed.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Like them or not like them.

If they make a living off of them then so what. There are worse way to a living.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I like them but im very fussy on the who i watch.

HC baily is my favorite lets player, i often binge watch some of his LPs even for games ive completed before myself.

jeffreybernabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeffreybernabe
Member since 2005 • 239 Posts

nowadays it's sad and laziness written all over it for the sake of youtube cash.. you want a good Youtube let's plays channels?

TheAuzzieGamer
PS4Trophies

Gagomkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16  Edited By Gagomkd
Member since 2009 • 287 Posts

I don't watch "Let's Play Videos". Why there is no option "I don't care"?

DanielL5583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 166

#17 DanielL5583
Member since 2008 • 1221 Posts

@thehig1: Need more DEEEEEUS EX MAAACHIINAAAAAAA!!

Oh, and more party members.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@DanielL5583:

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58949 Posts

Tend to watch other people play for walkthroughs, not into the personality thing.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#20 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I think there ok but I mainly watch them for researching a game that I want to buy.

Longclaw360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Longclaw360
Member since 2015 • 115 Posts

There are only two people that I enjoy watching play video games and they are Conan O'Brien and The Angry Video Game Nerd because they are really funny. Besides those two, I don't care to watch people play video games.

RockField

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 RockField
Member since 2017 • 500 Posts

Back when I was around 12-15 years old, I 100% love watching let's plays most especially, PewDiePie's lets play but when I reached 16, it started my slowly loss of interest in lets plays because some of them are way too long but anyway, I can still watch a few sometimes.

rakisseia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rakisseia
Member since 2017 • 17 Posts

Yeah its really great !!!!!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

I think they are stupid and one of the lowest forms of entertainment.

Melisajones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Melisajones
Member since 2017 • 29 Posts

@MarcRecon: Have you already played Let's play video game ? or are you ambitious to do so ?

SecondReality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecondReality
Member since 2017 • 1 Posts

I think they're great)

Avatar image for talestoastonish
talestoastonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 talestoastonish
Member since 2018 • 3 Posts

They’re not bad

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I'd rather be playing because a lot of these let's players suck at video games.

Remember walkthroughs? Either the silent ones or the smart, geeky person behind a mic discussing the best method or whatever?

Now it's just people acting obnoxious.

JustSharted18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JustSharted18
Member since 2018 • 5 Posts

It really depends on the person doing them

Avatar image for deactivated-5b370f16747d5
deactivated-5b370f16747d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b370f16747d5
Member since 2018 • 36 Posts

I think Let's Play videos can be super helpful if you're not sure where to go in a particularly difficult game/puzzle, or just need a good strategy to do well. They can also be great when trying to figure out if a game is worth buying or if it will be a letdown (I'm looking at you, No Man's Sky...).

Otherwise, they can be enjoyable to chill and watch if you're not feeling like putting the effort in or don't have access to a platform at that moment. Gaming is a hobby, right? Just like football or baseball, fishing, crafting, or any other interest, and people still watch and read about those. Just because you don't feel like participating in your hobby at the time doesn't mean you can't still be interested.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

The only one I ever watched was the world record for Max Payne 3. Actually, that was commentary added after recording. So I haven't watched any. Not interested.