Poll: What Was the Best Assassin's Creed Game?

#1 Posted by GameSpot (901139 posts) -

Here is a run down of all the optional Assassin's Creed games:

The first game in the Assassin's Creed franchise is set in 1191 AD, when the Third Crusade was tearing the Holy Land apart.
GameSpot Score: 9
User Score: 8.6

Assassin's Creed II returns with a new adventure set in the Italian Renaissance.
User Score: 9

Ezio returns in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood as he struggles against the powerful Templar Order . Defeating the corrupt tyrants entrenched there will require not only strength, but leadership, as Ezio commands an entire Brotherhood that will rally to his side.
GameSpot Score: 8.5
User Score: 8.9

In Assassin's Creed Revelations, you will control master assassin Ezio Auditore, who walks in the footsteps of the legendary mentor Altair, on a journey of discovery and revelation.
GameSpot Score: 8
User Score 8.5

Assassin's Creed III is an upcoming free-roaming action-adventure game for the PS3, PC, Xbox 360, and WiiU that takes place both in a near-future setting and 1775 colonial America.
GameSpot Score: 8.5
User Score 7.9

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is a free-roaming action adventure game for both current gen and next gen consoles. Players will take the role of young captain Edward Kenway whose exploits earn the respect of pirate legends like Blackbeard, but draw him into an ancient war that may destroy everything the pirates have built.
User Score: 8.6

Assassin's Creed Rogue for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 lets you play as a Templar during the Seven Years' War, bridging the gap between Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Assassin's Creed III.
GameSpot Score: 6
User Score 7.5

Assassin’s Creed Unity is the next-gen evolution of the blockbuster franchise powered by an all-new game engine. From the storming of the Bastille to the execution of King Louis XVI, experience the French Revolution as never before, and help the people of France carve an entirely new destiny.
GameSpot Score: 7
User Score: 6.4

#2 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -

The best game is 2 then 1 and then the brotherhood and revelations.

Ezio is without a doubt one of the absolute best characters ever written in any game.

#3 Posted by mastermetal777 (3232 posts) -

I have a soft spot for 2, but I'd say it tied with Black Flag, personally.

#4 Posted by MarcRecon (8163 posts) -

AC2

#5 Posted by The_Funyarinpa (504 posts) -

AC2 is the best, but there are aspects of 1 that were done better, anything past 2 took a nosedive in quality

#6 Posted by chocolate1325 (33007 posts) -

Assassins Creed 2 without doubt nice setting great lead and it also had the best lead character Ezio Auditors best character of the generation.

#7 Posted by SoNin360 (7088 posts) -

Black Flag... and I hardly even see that as an Assassin's Creed game, which is why I loved it. It was more of a pirate adventure game with some Assassin's Creed elements thrown in. Other than that, I had a pretty strong liking to Brotherhood for some reason. I preferred it over AC2, even.

#8 Posted by SOedipus (11508 posts) -

Assassin's Creed II.

#9 Posted by Meathead373 (1024 posts) -

Only finished one and two, so if those two is better playing by far but what I played of brotherhood was awesome

#10 Posted by Crypt_mx (4739 posts) -

AC Blag Flag, by far. IMO followed closely by AC2.

#11 Posted by Kevin-V (5418 posts) -

The right answer is Assassin's Creed II, and I have an Assassin's Creed tattoo, which must mean...something? Maybe? *crickets*

#12 Posted by gamimgGT (24 posts) -

Assassin's Creed II

#13 Posted by Mr_Q_Oz (103 posts) -

I loved Black Flag and AC2, but Ezio was a better character so AC2 gets my vote. :)

#14 Posted by Xanatos357 (785 posts) -

The Ezio trilogy is so great and whoever voted for AC3, get out.

#15 Posted by Borlng (109 posts) -

Assassin's Creed II was my favorite for campaign. Ezio really made Assassin's Creed really enjoyable.

Favorite for multiplayer was Assassin's Creed III. Sadly, all the best techniques I discovered (well, learned from my betters) in 3's multiplayer were deemed as glitches, and thus not in 4's multiplayer.

#16 Posted by AdmiralKhara (36 posts) -

I chose Black Flag because you are a pirate there.

#17 Posted by bamir0 (241 posts) -

2, 4, Unity, Brotherhood, 3, Rogue, Revelations, 1

#18 Posted by registradus (33 posts) -

Black Flag. because pirates.

#19 Posted by Alfie03 (10 posts) -

The final game of Desmond, Assassins Creed III, jumps from Ezio's era to the American Revolution. The player controls a half-English, half-Native American Connor Kenway or also known as Ratonhnhake: ton, in the fight against his father, Colonial Templar Grand Master Haytham Kenway.

#20 Posted by DrSpoon (628 posts) -

Went for the first one as it had the best story. Despite it having somewhat repetitive missions at least the game felt fresh and it hadn't suffered from the rehash of some of the later entries...

#21 Edited by Catalli (3451 posts) -

Assassin's Creed IV for me. I'm surprised II is winning by such a huge margin.

#22 Posted by soul_motor (2347 posts) -

Sea chanties. Enough said.

#23 Edited by LordCrash88 (526 posts) -

My personal favorite is Revelations.

#24 Posted by zassimick (10460 posts) -

I'd say the best Assassin's Creed game is Assassin's Creed 2. My favorite Assassin's Creed game though is between Black Flag and AC2.

#25 Posted by Macutchi (6791 posts) -

it's always been a series that never quite hit the spot for me. black flag kept me interested the longest though

#26 Posted by RSM-HQ (8399 posts) -

Stopped playing them at Creed 2, from my understanding that's the game the series peaked at.

#27 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18971 posts) -

Black Flag... by a huge margin.

#28 Posted by Archangel3371 (28116 posts) -

I went with Black Flag.

#29 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2549 posts) -

Brotherhood was my favorite, mainly because it felt tighter than 2, which was also very good, but something about Brotherhood seemed a little more polished. Then it went all over the place, Black Flag is fun but to call it a good AC game is difficult (still a good game but AC, not so much).

#30 Edited by Running-Target (413 posts) -

I'd say the best AC game is between ACII and Brotherhood. Well my favorite AC game is Assassin's Creed 1 & Altair is my favorite assassin. Black Flag is one of the best pirate games.

#31 Posted by Sir_William2 (103 posts) -

Assassins Creed II for sure and Brotherhood since it was an extension of Assassins Creed II. I would say that after those two game is when i began to feel franchise fatigue though.

#32 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@GameSpot: Black Flag is the best one yet. Best story and awesome supporting characters. Brotherhood comes in a close second

#33 Posted by starcrafthenry (94 posts) -

I've played 1, 2, and 4. I've enjoyed all of them. I picked Black Flag because I really enjoyed the ship battles. 2 was pretty awesome, but I think I'm biased because I'm very interested in Leonardo da Vinci. The original game was probably the coolest setting, and best story, being during the crusades.

#34 Posted by Ariabed (2121 posts) -

@mastermetal777 said:

I have a soft spot for 2, but I'd say it tied with Black Flag, personally.

#35 Posted by thanos999 (12 posts) -

black flag loved the ships and pirating got bored off the assainations but loved stealing ships

#36 Posted by Riprock (191 posts) -

Definitely AC2. AC1 was classic with a great story and everything was new and you had no idea what was going to happen next (similar to Halo:CE). But AC1 was missing pieces and had a mission/quest system that was too repetitive, which AC2 improved upon substantially. AC2 also improved a number of game-play mechanics and had it's own classic story. Since then there have been way too many AC releases and everything feels as though it's simply rinse and repeat - though Black Flag was a departure with it's pirate theme (which is why it's coming in 2nd in the poll). I wish more developers took an approach to their marquee games as Blizzard and Bethesda does. Take all the time that is required to make this the best game it can be, then release it (and not until then). AC has become watered down. I don't get excited for the next release of AC like I do for Elder Scrolls, or Diablo (and other games of a similar ilk). Ubisoft has completely sucked dry the excitement and thunder of this franchise. But thank God for AC1 and the definitive AC2.

#37 Posted by megantereon (114 posts) -

I have played all of them and they are all good games. I enjoyed Black Flag and Brotherhood the most and AC3 the least, and think Rogue is like an improved Black Flag with better graphics and smoother controls and some settings from AC3, and recommend it more than ACBF. Unity has by far the best maps, graphics, and context of all of them, though not so well written. So they are all somewhat different so depends on your preferences. None of these is best.

Assassins started in Persia around 1100AD, and as long as Ubisoft sticks to their recipe of focusing on placing Assassins and Templars in the keystone events in world history since 1100 AD that shaped world civilization then I will keep playing these games. They have hit the mark by staying historically relevant with the rise of the assassins, the renaissance, the American revolution, French revolution, and the industrial revolution. I predict a prequel with the Mongolian eradication of the Assassins, the post-civil war expansion into the American wild west, or returning to Turkey and the Ottoman Empire at the start of WW1 are likely future entries in this series. Ubisoft stays historically relevant and tries new mechanics each game, some work and some don't. If they stray form this by going to japan or China, or get into the comic ridiculousness that COD has done than I will stop playing AC.

#38 Edited by FenrirsPack (95 posts) -

It's a tie between 2 and Black Flag. They are both great for different reasons. When I think of the quintessential Assassin's Creed game, I think of AC2. When I think of one of the most fun games I've played in the last decade, I think of Black Flag. It wasn't a traditional AC game, but rather a sort of pirate simulator that used story elements from the Assassin's Creed world. An essential part of all Assassin's Creed games is city navigation and exploration. AC2 had the most interesting and beautiful cities to explore, so if someone were to ask me which AC game they should play (if they could only play one) I would say AC2. It best represents the true spirit of series and has its most iconic character. That said, there is nothing I can think of in AC2 that was as exhilarating as ship combat from Black Flag.