Poll: How Important is Backwards Compatibility to You?

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

Microsoft's current-generation console is now "building momentum," according to new comments from Microsoft CFO Amy Hood. Some of this foretold success is attributed in part to the Xbox One's latest backwards compatibility feature (currently available for a few select games). But is backwards compatibility really that important? Tell us what you think.

SAPS10111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 SAPS10111
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts

I still have my PS3 to play old games on but rarely play them due to spending most time on the PS4. Definitely won't jump ship top Xbox just for that.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Ehh. I still have my PS3 and Xbox 360. If I want an old game, I'll just buy it for those instead of wasting space on my new console.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

I really don't think backwards compatibility is such a big deal, don't get me wrong, I do think it's nice. But they should stop advertising it like it's gaming breakthrough of the year. The main reason people got Xbox One/PS4 is to play new games. Microsoft should focus on new IPs and exclusives which they are doing yes, but doing there 1st party exclusive [looking at you Gears of War remastered] is not what gamers want these days, new IPs. I for one didn't bitch about lack of BC for both consoles and I always keep my old consoles for future gameplays anyways. I got my Xbox One/PS4 to play new games.

Voted: I don't care. I'd rather play something new.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The third option is missing: IT´S NOT A MUST, BUT IT´S NICE TO HAVE IT !!!.

Those are my thoughts too.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#6 VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

Though I kept my PS3, X360, and Wii, I consider backwards compatibility an important aspect for any new console generation as well as an incentive for all those that want to trade in their old consoles without having to throw away all their former games or to purchase them as "remasters" anew. Good move as to XB1; hopefully some of the old Xbox games will be available for download finally, too.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

It won't be as big as most people are hoping or thinking. We probably won't see many games be backwards compatible outside of games Microsoft published or owns. Publishers would rather re-release the game than let you play the one you already have. Just look at Prototype 1 & 2. If Activision will re-release 2 games nobody asked for, there is no way they will let games like Call of Duty be backwards compatible.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Its not a big deal and the sales reflect this, xbox had a brief jump in sales after the announcement and then the sales spike died.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I voted very important but it's probably a little less then that in actuality. It's definitely a fantastic feature to have and I'm very happy to see that the Xbox One will be getting it. While I still have my 360 and will keep it when Xbox One gets bc it makes everything so much more convenient. I don't have to keep my 360 hooked up or take it back out of the box everytime I get the urge to play one of my 360 games.

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 1

#11 LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

I play on PC so I have almost 100% backwards compatibility for all my games.

Still, I don't care that much. I rarely play old games. Too boring.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

It's important to me. I don't get rid of my systems, but the less of them that I have to plug in, the better.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

it's not important to me. i have a pc to play older games.

i had a 360 last gen and decided to make a switch to the ps4 as i wasn't impressed with the one or its games, so backwards compatibility is useless to me as i don't have any ps3 games. having said that, there's not a huge abundance of games for the ps4 so maybe i would have picked up some of the big ps3 games to fill the gaps between releases

jlenoconel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jlenoconel
Member since 2010 • 534 Posts

I don't see any reason why a console can't have it. Only reason some companies don't have it is because I think they stand to gain from it e.g. PS Now.

AaronElWhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By AaronElWhite
Member since 2003 • 1402 Posts

It's absolutely not important to me. Very rarely will I go back and play a game from a previous generation. Now, having the ability to do so would be nice, but the reality is most people will not being doing this and are more excited about having the ability to do it than likely to actually do it.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

It depends on the Console TBH. if you're talking about PS3 i don't care but i do care about the HUGE library of PS2 games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

It's definitely a cool feature to have, and I'm glad we'll be getting it, but I wouldn't say it's extremely important to me.

rdeachin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rdeachin33
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

@GameSpot: Most of the games I'll play from here on out will be of the Xbox One variety. However, having the games backwards compatible and readily available on my Xbox One (instead of having to power up the 360, change TV inputs, controllers, etc.) means I'm more likely to play some older games when the nostalgia sets in!

TheSeptopus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheSeptopus
Member since 2010 • 309 Posts

Like most things, it's a spectrum. For example, I feel very strongly about the importance of backwards compatibility in the digital marketplace, especially closed systems, because if there is not backwards compatibility then you eventually have unsupported systems and closed marketplaces where digital content is lost to the void of time, especially if developers don't bother to port it to the new marketplace. The lack of backwards compatibility hinders my desire for a new console mostly because I have content in my backlog that is unnecessarily locked onto my PS3 because the digital marketplaces are not unified. I don't think there's any reason why PS1 classics cannot be emulated on the PS4, especially if they're able to be emulated on all other sony platformers (PSP, PS3, and PSV). I didn't pay much for these because I saw had the foresight to know this would be a problem and only regulated purchases to flash sales, but it's just sad that Sony and Microsoft didn't have enough foresight to know this would be an issue; people often say that it was the early days of digital distribution that the original iPhone hadn't even released yet, but this hasn't stopped apple from ensuring all there old software is compatible with future software.

I'm glad that in the last few months this hasn't really been a thought or problem because I've built a decent computer which has very few issues with old games running on it.

saffire7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 saffire7
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

For me it is important because I don't want have a series of machines to plug in and I do love some of the older games and may want to play them again. I also consider backwards compatibility an important aspect for any new console generation as well as an incentive for all those that want to trade in their old consoles without having to throw away all their former games or to purchase them again.

DaFoozLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaFoozLady
Member since 2014 • 36 Posts

There's a reason I won't part with my 'fat' 80g PS3, and it's that backwards compatibility. As someone with a decent selection of PS1 and PS2 games still in my home and getting a good amount of nostalgia play, it Was a big deal to me last console generation release. Nowadays, as I ponder more the possibility of getting a PS4, it's not quite as much of a deal maker or breaker. Why?

I have open HDMI ports, open space on the power strip for another system, and the idea of once again going through download timesink to get games originally purchased of the PSN Store to a PS4 is more tiring than it once was. So the backwards compatibility Used to be very important to me. Not anymore. It's more of a, meh nice to have but not required.

Getting lazy in my old gamer age!

allbulldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 allbulldogg
Member since 2005 • 139 Posts

I'm happy that it exists I fear my old elite could die any day and knowing that hopefully i could just play it on the one would be reassuring. I also think the xbox 1 controller is better imo.

garywood69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 garywood69
Member since 2013 • 518 Posts

What kind of polling wizardry is this?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Couldn´t care less, i never sell my old consoles so if i want to play something on that ill just pick it up and play.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

New for Xbox One!....all..your old..games. Yay?

I always looked at this feature as most important to people who relied on their parents to get a new console. because you know the first thing they ask is "what are you going to do with all your old games?"

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I definitely prefer having BC, but it's not hugely important. I keep all my old consoles for the most part anyway.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Its extremely important to have backwards compatibility, having your library of content follow you and playable in every gen is a no brainer.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#29 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

Ehh. I still have my PS3 and Xbox 360. If I want an old game, I'll just buy it for those instead of wasting space on my new console.

Same, but I'm actually thinking about picking up an extra PS3 and 360 when they do another price cut! I still got tons of games for both systems.

joe_b1_kenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 joe_b1_kenobi
Member since 2007 • 849 Posts

I dont care much for playing last gen games. But for those who do it's a nice feature. And its obviously a better solution than sonys ps now.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

I loved my old PS3 (60GB model). PS1 and PS2 games upscaled to 1080p and almost unlimited storage for saves. It was so convenient. Now they're "remastering" games and expecting consumers to pay close to full price for a game that's several years old. I really hope PS Now fails and Sony brings back backwards compatibility.

GeminiJ13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GeminiJ13
Member since 2015 • 275 Posts

@raugutcon: That was exactly the same thought that I had as well. One day none of the past generation consoles that I have will work. What will become of the physical catalogue of games that I have for them? It would be nice to have them stored in the cloud or as technology gets better with massive storage, locally on my current gaming system. At least with a PC platform, you have access to all the games you've purchased at any given moment. And however good your PC becomes due to upgrades all those games are still playable at any time.

Deuterium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Deuterium
Member since 2015 • 80 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Agreed.

StingrayX5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#34  Edited By StingrayX5
Member since 2007 • 634 Posts

It's unnecessary. Why not buy a 360 on the cheap and play the games on they system it was intended for. It's not that hard to switch out cables. You will also find that the games being played on the One will be downgraded because it wasn't meant for that system.

eilegz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 eilegz
Member since 2004 • 87 Posts

its important hopefully sony realize it and made it possible too

avenger4tw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 avenger4tw
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts

In terms of having a hard disk and being able to play it on current gen no but having made a digital purchase last generation and being able to play it on current gen consoles (something like telltale's the walking dead) backwards compatibility is a big deal

Jstreet76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jstreet76
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

For me it's great never played Xbox 360 games before always had a ps3 so I'm very excited to have a Xbox one now can play xbox 360 games it just gave me a whole new console

maitkarro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By maitkarro
Member since 2004 • 1517 Posts

Third option, don't care as I'll never get a M$ console.

Fourth option, it's important if it were with Sony.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

It's pretty important, but since I game mostly on PC it's not ever an issue.