Poll: Do You Want To Make Games For a Living?

• 60 results
tubingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 tubingo
Member since 2015 • 57 Posts

This is a good question

Well, one of my best friends has been creating games (as a fulltime dev) for mobile devices and he's living fine. However, he never sleeps well because his financial health is unstable.

Doing games is much dependent on game life cycle (which is short). At the beginning, money flood in, but that lasts for up to 6 months only. As the game gets beyond its peak, income quickly dwindles. To keep money flooding in, you have to carve out new ideas and make new games all the time. Problem is that it's not easy to come up with big ideas. Many games he made turned out to be failures.

If you invest in app, it's more promising. Maybe, a single good app will nourish you well for the rest of your life. My former boss at an app development company proves this. He made a free music app 2 years ago. Until now, his revenue from ad has accrued by tens of millions of dollars.

Final words, Yes or No is up to different people. But I think being creative and working hard will ensure success.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

If i was much better with my math in high school, i'd already be negotiating with Bill Watterson about doing a Spaceman Spiff FPS that takes cues from Quake. (Dunno if he'd approve of Spiff going back in time to undo an alien race's changes to history)

DGfishingtime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DGfishingtime
Member since 2013 • 35 Posts

@GameSpot: I would do what he was offered. A community manager for a game. I wouldn't want to be a dev though. Even people who are there to test games say it gets monotonous. I've actually met devs, and they seemed to like the job, but felt it was a thankless one.

willisons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#54 willisons
Member since 2002 • 62 Posts

If it was a 9 to 5 job, with no crunch time hours that I wouldn't have to sacrifice a lot of my family life for, then yes! Otherwise no.

SuperShrooms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SuperShrooms
Member since 2015 • 24 Posts

In the words of General M. Bison

"Of course!"

dothackjhe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 dothackjhe
Member since 2009 • 26 Posts

Yes!

Dargost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Dargost
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts

@GameSpot: Yea id like to make games and play them for money hehe...

Granskjegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Granskjegg
Member since 2015 • 75 Posts

Wow, only 13% voted no? That's pretty surprising. I guess being a community manager or something would be cool, but I'd rather not work in the games industry.

MegaDooOooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MegaDooOooM
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

Of course i would

I've got a lot of ideas but i don't have the least bit of knowledge on how to create games or even where to start learning.

Narutogx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Narutogx2
Member since 2011 • 104 Posts

@raugutcon: Why Not Both?