JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Our 68th Game night will repeat one of the games/platforms as #66. However, it was important for us to have a game that everyone may either own easily have access to rent and a game that was on more than one platform.

---------

GameSpot's 68th Game Night will be held Tuesday, April 7th from 4-6pm PT (we may go later for some of you latecomers to get adjusted to the new time). We'll be playing Left 4 Dead on the PC and 360!

1. How do I get in on the action?
It is imperative that you join the chat room so staff and GameSpotters can communicate with all of you. We'll open the chatroom between 3 and 3:30pm PT.

1A. I am from another country and timezone other than California time (Pacific Time). What time is that for me?
http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc

2. Remind me-why are we doing this again?
For the fun of it! A lot of people want to play games that include GameSpot employees and other members of the community.

3. What mode will we be playing?
TBD. We'll release more information about the format as soon as we have it.

4. Why this game? Why not another one?
This game is on more than one platform! Many of you have requested to have more than one platform and we like to keep you happy!

5. Can I join once the match is going?
Of course! Why not?

6. What GameSpot folks will I be playing with?
Jody will be playing on the PC.

We may also have a staff member using the GameSpotLive gamertag to host matches.

Kevin hasnt decided which platform yet. Mods and other GameSpot users may also host matches. We'll see if we can gether some more staff members

7. What else do I need to know?

Join Chat! We'll be opening the GameSpot tournament chat room at least a half an hour to an hour before we're scheduled to play. To enter it, just go to this link:http://www.gamespot.com/chat/chat.php?room=GameSpot_Tournament. That way you can get information from GameSpot staff and chat with your buddies before the game starts.

Be nice! Any disorderly behavior disqualifies you from participation and may earn you a moderation, suspension, or permanent ban. Please refrain from using harassing, negative, or profane language in either the Tournament chat or the game instance.

Don't cheat. No cheats or hacks of any kind are to be used. Taking advantage of known exploits in the game is also considered cheating. Doing any of that is considered against the spirit of the event, and if you are found to be cheating, you will be asked not to join future game nights.

8. What about bad language?
Try to keep it to a minimum. If someone lets a swear or two slip in chat, we won't have a fit or anything. Sometimes we may slip too. As long as you aren't flaming others you should be fine.

9. You mentioned something about "bounties" in the Game Night FAQ. What is up with that?
Every week, a player that meets the bounty requirement will get to take part in a grudge match later in the year against other bounty hunters. That match will take place on a game that pretty much anyone can play, such as a free bowling game, or some other such frivolity. The winner of the Grudge Match will receive a special emblem in his or her profile. Other emblems may also be awarded to players based on performance, wins, or other criteria.

10. What's this week's bounty requirement?
The non-scientific method: the player(s) GameSpot staff feels kicked their asses most.

11. I am totally the best, and you know it. What if you give the emblem to some other dude, even if I know I am better?
It's the admin's call.... yep, truly is.

12. So, do I have a good chance of kicking GameSpot ass?

Of course you do! There has got to be a game that we stink at.

13. Do I get an emblem for playing?
The only emblem goes to the bounty winner(s). It's next to impossible for me to keep up with who enters the server and who doesn't. Besides, isn't gloating over GameSpot Staff a great reward?

14, Post in this thread to claim you were there.
After you have finished playing (or a few days later) be sure to report that you participated! We'd like to see how many people attend these events, who you are and to have a record of games that are popular enough, maybe we can repeat them. To check in for roll call, dropping by the chatroom already will track you joining. If you cannot log into chatroom you'll want to drop by this thread to let us know you stopped by and any feedbackabout the event.

UPDATE: We will be granting an emblem in celebration of the return of game nights in 2009. Participants will receive an emblem after roll call is complete. The sure way to receive the emblem is to join the GameSpot chatroom and show that you partiicpated in some matches. If you cannot get into the chatroom make sure staff or moderator have seen you partiicpate in a match and then post in this thread. 

Concept by sequekhan, designed by anthonyr1

15. Post your highlights!
If you'd like to post footage highlights or any comments about others you played, this thread should also be used for such content.

IMPORTANT UPDATE about mature rating: If you are unable to participate because of the ESRB rating or cannot attend this event due to the times, we still want you to celebrate the return of game nights and receive the emblem through another kind of participation. On Wednesday I'll post a zombie trivia. Another thread will be created for this little activity and everyone can participate regardless if they were in-game on Tuesday night or not. We don't want to exclude anyone. :)  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROLL CALL

Caddy06_88       
Chris_Watters
ciancr    
CodingGenius
dab198    
Dave_petrucci    
Daytona_178    
DouglasBuffone    
edubuccaneer    
Einhanderkiller    
emblem_2007    
fat_otter    
frogsoblivion21
Garrison_Ford    
Heatley2001   
horseyjesse
jediknight52501    
JodyR    
Justin125    
kevb84    
Legolas_Katarn    
Macgyver40    
Marksman2200    
Misfit1119    
msudude211    
naruto_444    
OrangeBlueZ    
Private_Adam    
remmbermytitans    
Scalper    
sequekhan    
Sidburn19    
Soulreavercross    
talool1    
tamsj04    
Tiberius    

I believe there were more than this, but not everyone dropped by chatroom. If you didn't get listed in this roll call post in this thread with your steam or XBL gamertag, which should show your activity for playing last night.

At least 5-6 others stopped by to chat and not play. Below are four additional users that dropped by but there was no indication that they played in a match. 

iamjct212
icytower38
dhandle76

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JodyR
I am trying to figure out if I should buy the game on Steam or play it on the 360. Much more ownage to you all if I play on the PC versus the 360. muhahaa
Marksman2200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Marksman2200
Member since 2007 • 23037 Posts
Awesome, I'm going to be playing on the 360. Well if we want to make sure we have the most players playing. We will have to play Versus mode. That allows 8 players of course.
Avatar image for Einhanderkiller
Einhanderkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Einhanderkiller
Member since 2003 • 13259 Posts
Left 4 Dead on the PC uses a lobby system. Somebody creates a lobby, people join it, then Left 4 Dead will start looking for a server to play on. You can buy your own server to host a game, but it's not necessary.
Misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#5 Misfit119
Member since 2004 • 418 Posts
Barring some severe stupidity on my end I'm so all over this on the 360 side of things. I'm just no good using mouse and keyboard controls anyways so it's much better for me this way.
Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Left 4 Dead on the PC ftw! :P

Well, it's about freaking time! :x Can't wait! :D

Heatley2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heatley2001
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

this sounds great. im looking forward to it. i should be there.

quick question. In the game for the people on 360 will we be creating a big party and talking in it?  just in case i cant get to the chat room. just wondering. 

anihimrox222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 anihimrox222
Member since 2006 • 12411 Posts

*grabs pad*

note to self...get left 4 dead:P

sequekhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#9 sequekhan
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts

Works out to about 11am start Wed morning in AEST. I should be able to squeeze it in before work, so I'll be there. Only got the game today though, so I'll be a bit of a newbie. Not a newbie to the genre though!

I'll be on the PC.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JodyR

By the way, there is an emblem being granted in celebration of the return of Game Night for the year!

If you are under the ESRB ratiing or cannot attend, please read the update about a little activity we'll have to continue the celebration!

Works out to about 11am start Wed morning in AEST. I should be able to squeeze it in before work, so I'll be there. Only got the game today though, so I'll be a bit of a newbie. Not a newbie to the genre though!sequekhan
Well, if needed we'll start a few games early.

edubuccaneer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#11 edubuccaneer
Member since 2003 • 4071 Posts

By the way, there is an emblem being granted in celebration of the return of Game Night for the year!

If you are under the ESRB ratiing or cannot attend, please read the update about a little activity we'll have to continue the celebration!

[QUOTE="sequekhan"]Works out to about 11am start Wed morning in AEST. I should be able to squeeze it in before work, so I'll be there. Only got the game today though, so I'll be a bit of a newbie. Not a newbie to the genre though!JodyR

I'll try to be there on the 360 version.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#12 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
I'll be on on my 360. See y'all there!
borninvincible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 borninvincible
Member since 2003 • 524 Posts

[QUOTE="sequekhan"]Works out to about 11am start Wed morning in AEST. I should be able to squeeze it in before work, so I'll be there. Only got the game today though, so I'll be a bit of a newbie. Not a newbie to the genre though!JodyR

thats cool ya got an emblem opportunity for those who cant make it... props.

ive never played this game before but ive been wanting too.. this could be my final motivation for picking it up.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Left 4 Dead, alright. I'll be on the 360 version.

If you are unable to participate because of the ESRB rating

How does that work?

tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 tmaclabi
Member since 2006 • 17109 Posts
Thats fun!
tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tmaclabi
Thank you very Much Jody, i am excited to get the emblem, thanks for not excluding us!
Misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Misfit119

Ooh an emblem. That just sweetens the pot. Much awesomeness. I'm definitely going to have to be all over that now, heh. I just can't resist the shiny things.

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Woohoo! I'll be there for sure. :D
tmaclabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tmaclabi

Ooh an emblem. That just sweetens the pot. Much awesomeness. I'm definitely going to have to be all over that now, heh. I just can't resist the shiny things.

Misfit1119

Me too! Can't wait 8)

Sidburn19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sidburn19  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 4715 Posts
I have the game, but I lent it to my friend for Mirror Edge :( I will still join the chat for fun
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
this would be fun!:lol:
kevb84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kevb84
Member since 2005 • 703 Posts

I'm in on the 360 and thanks Jody for the new earlier start time. :)

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts
this is odd.... today is my birthday and community night is back.
elfimis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 elfimis
Member since 2008 • 1099 Posts

this is odd.... today is my birthday and community night is back.1bigsmoke55

::all of GS jumps out!:: SURPRISE!!!!:shock:

::throws confetti:::lol:

OrangeBlueZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 OrangeBlueZ
Member since 2006 • 5350 Posts
I have every intention on being there on the 360, I've been meaning to do some of these hosted game nights for some time now. This looks like a great place to start! :)
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 caddy
Member since 2005 • 28709 Posts
I'll be there on 360 :)
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
I should be there on 360, thanks to the earlier timeslot.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts
i play on my pc!
kcwsk8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kcwsk8
Member since 2008 • 3585 Posts

IMPORTANT UPDATE about mature rating: If you are unable to participate because of the ESRB rating or cannot attend this event due to the times, we still want you to celebrate the return of game nights and receive the emblem through another kind of participation. On Wednesday I'll post a zombie trivia. Another thread will be created for this little activity and everyone can participate regardless if they were in-game on Tuesday night or not. We don't want to exclude anyone. :)  Thanks!

JodyR

Oh thank you so much! I get a chance to participate even though I dont have the game. Thank you.D

DJ_ranch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_ranch
Member since 2004 • 251 Posts
I didn't get it right, but how many hours more to the event? Or it is already over?
dab198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dab198
Member since 2003 • 3934 Posts
Another 5 hours until it's due to start. The chatroom should be open in 4 - 4.5 hours time.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JodyR

I planned to host some PC matches so if any of you want to host some 360 matches let me know. I'm still trying to gather more GS staff.

Also, do any of you have any suggestions about what game modes we should play?

caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 caddy

JodyR

There are only 2 game modes to play; 4 player campaign co-op and 8 player versus. There is a new game mode due out soon, but I don't think it is out yet. 

Avatar image for remmbermytitans
remmbermytitans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 remmbermytitans
Member since 2005 • 7214 Posts
Another 5 hours until it's due to start. The chatroom should be open in 4 - 4.5 hours time.dab198

Woohoo! I'm excited. I'll be there for sure. Who do we add to our friends list?
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Legolas_Katarn
[QUOTE="JodyR"]

Caddy06_88

There are only 2 game modes to play; 4 player campaign co-op and 8 player versus. There is a new game mode due out soon, but I don't think it is out yet.

Survival is the new mode and the other two maps will be in versus but the download is not out yet. Versus is pretty much all we can do, unless we get a small turnout.

emblem_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 emblem_2007
Member since 2007 • 3146 Posts
Ah sounds cool i whould be in the 360 matches but i dont know how i whould join the match everyones playing lol:P
Misfit119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Misfit119
We should probably be doing Versus to get more people into the games. Versus can get a little hairy at times but it's definitely the way to go here. Co-op is fun and all but there's no real competitive element to that sorta game.
Marksman2200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Marksman2200
What exactly is the gamertag we need to add for the 360?
caddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 caddy
What exactly is the gamertag we need to add for the 360?Marksman2200
There hasn't been anything announced yet. I would just make sure to be in the chat before the game night starts.
Marksman2200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Marksman2200
[QUOTE="Marksman2200"]What exactly is the gamertag we need to add for the 360?Caddy06_88
There hasn't been anything announced yet. I would just make sure to be in the chat before the game night starts.

Yea, I'm usually in the chat a good bit before the night begins.
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JodyR
Chris or another GS staff member will be on the GameSpotLive gamertag for about an hour.
emblem_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 emblem_2007
So where supposed to look for a gamespot live gamertag in a mode?
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JodyR
So where supposed to look for a gamespot live gamertag in a mode?emblem_2007
Goa ahead and send a friend request to gamespotlive (no space)
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
i will be there on the 360, my gamertag is jedimaster52501.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Legolas_Katarn
Added him and waiting to get in the chat
emblem_2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 emblem_2007
Gamespotlive added oh and my brother naruto 444 might be there too if he wants to play..
Avatar image for jediknight52501
jediknight52501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 jediknight52501
Member since 2005 • 69715 Posts
i also added gamespotlive.
ciancr

Forum Posts