Idiottt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Idiottt
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

Buliding a new high-end gaming rig this week and investigating which games to play this year...

Why the hell do they need to put zombies or similar creatures in every game? Just to name a few:

• The last of us 2 (featuring the demogorgon from Stranger Things, sigh...)
  • Dying Light 2
  • Rainbow Six Quarantine

These are absolutely fabulous games but they're ruined by this cheap formula: "Put in zombies to make it more awesome!"

Uhhh no... It doesn't make games more awesome, it cheapens them! What's next? GTA 6 will be zombie-infested as well? Actually, GTA is a perfect example showing games with just "real" people in them can be great. We don't need the stupid zombies, aliens, monsters from other dimensions, biolab-created mutants and all other supernatural creatures! As if those somehow make a game more attractive...

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm a bit older? Perhaps teenagers lose their short ADHD attention span when they play "normal" games and the only way to keep them interested is by adding zombies? Is that why developers do this?

I just don't get it....

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11654 Posts

@idiottt: Dying Light and The Last of Us have 'zombies' as a plot device. And while The Last of Us isn't quite zombies it's following that same classic formula-

End of the world because people are turning into instinctual killing machines, in classic horror fashion. You could say 'zombies' are anchors for both series, they're following the trope turns out the real monster is man

For other series that add zombie mobs just to cater to the market for the **** of it however, I completely agree. If your series isn't built with it in mind why are they going against the games own identity.

Think zombies or alien parasite heads (or even robots) in general are usually an excuse to have shitty A.I. enemies because bad programming in that field. Not everything can do zombies good like D00M and Resident Evil.

Perhaps teenagers lose their short ADHD attention span when they play "normal" games and the only way to keep them interested is by adding zombies? Is that why developers do this?

You lost me here, Grand Theft Auto has flying tanks, police detection without an eye on you, floaty physics, magically pulling guns out your butt-crack, and surviving being ran over multiple times. That is not normal, it is fantasy. Just like most games. It's just more an american hollywood movie fantasy.

Making the bold claim that anything rooted in creativity/ fantasy is stupid teenage pandering comes across as absurd, and generally insulting to anyone who appreciates creativity/ the arts. Which is likely the vast majority or Gamers, young and old.

'Normal games' as you refer to them as are 'simulators', and they tend to play like hot garbage.

But because that's your preference go check out Drowning Simulator, it's very normal to drown

*And yes, the game exists. Enjoy, it's designed to promote/ make-aware the need of life jackets.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#3 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

Well, they're easy enough to avoid. The lore of such games as The Last of Us and Dying Light are centered on a world ravaged by a zombie/viral apocalypse, so of course there are going to be zombies/infected creatures as one of the main enemies to defeat. Then there are games that really don't have anything to do with zombies, but include a gamemode or DLC/expansion that centers around killing zombies. Why? People like mowing down hordes of zombies because it's mindless fun. I would say Call of Duty: World at War's Nazi Zombie Mode really helped popularize the whole "unrelated non-zombie game including a zombie mode" craze.

I never really got into these endless zombie horde game modes, but I enjoy the occasional zombie game. There are some franchises/games that do it well such as The Last of Us, Dying Light, and Resident Evil. I find appeal in such games beyond "oh look there's a bunch of zombies to kill", whether it be because of the narrative, survival elements, or whatever else.

At any rate, there are so many games out there to play that it's not worth the trouble to worry about all the games that don't appeal to you for whatever reason.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#4 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@idiottt:

"What's next? GTA 6 will be zombie-infested as well?"

- Are you kidding? That would be awesome!! I'd say all we really need is a proper open world game like GTA in terms of quality and scope.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11654 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@idiottt:

"What's next? GTA 6 will be zombie-infested as well?"

- Are you kidding? That would be awesome!! I'd say all we really need is a proper open world game like GTA in terms of quality and scope.

Know it's more GTA_cow boys but didn't Red Dead Redemption have a zombie centric expansion?

I recall playing the game at launch so missed on it, but assume Rock Star don't exactly have quarms with adding zombies if they think it'll work in the game.