This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts

Well Okami is the first of that type of game Ive ever played and enjoying it so far, have I ruined the Zelda games or are they better in ther own ways? Whats the current opinion on the two franchises now that the fanboy wars have settled (at least a bit...).

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I don't like the ZELDA series at all.

As for OKAMI, it was a beautiful and very enjoyable game when it came out for the PS2.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I love Zelda, but I absolutely hated Okami. Everything from the artstyle to the combat, I thought it sucked. That's just me though, so try out both and see for yourself.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Okami is better than certain Zelda games,not as good as others. Depends on which game we're comparing Okami to.  For instance, IMO Okami> A Link to the Past (raises flame shield).  However, Majora's Mask or Wind Waker> Okami.  

That being said, I loved the hell out of Okami. I think it is a truly amazing game, and definitely deserves to be played by anyone who just loves greatness.  

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Okami has its amazing aspects, but Most Zelda games are better than it.  Okami is more like Skyward Sword tier (though both games have very different issues) and not on the level of OoT, MM, and WW.  

Okami needed better puzzles and less hand holding.  Loved the art, music, and presentation all wrapped up in a solid zelda like game, but not amazing.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts
About on Par with Wind Waker and the GC version of Twilight Princess, better than the Wii version of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.
benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#7 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I love Okami for what it was, I would love to see another game like this

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts
Okami's not as good as ALTTP but just as good or even better than OOT. Overall Okami > Zelda
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
both good zelda is better
senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Zelda. Okami is boring.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

I can see where people draw similarities between Okami and the Zelda series, however they felt like very different experiences to me when I played Okami versus playing any Zelda game. I definitely would say Zelda is better overall, at least Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. I did enjoy Okami more than Wind Waker though.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
Well that is kind of a unfair comparison since there have been way more Zelda games than Okami games,that said, I enjoyed Okami on PS2 to a level that is unimaginable. I've played several Zelda games but Okami just felt so much more inspired and beautiful, Its combat was incredibly rich and flexible. Maybe because it is more unique and its art style is absolutely gorgeous and in some aspects it surpassed even some comparable Zelda games like Wind Waker. Its world and its inhabitants felt more vibrant, alive, as if every nook and cranny was a piece of art imbued with the spirit of Japan's rich mythology and millenarian aesthetics. Zelda's mythology is small in comparison. I like Zelda but the original Okami holds a special place among the best games I've ever played.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#13 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Depends which Zelda game you compare Okami to but overall Zelda has had more games and is far superior.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

To me nothing compares to the greatness of Zelda games, ever.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I have played every zelda console game up until the Wii game and consider myself to be a fan of the series. But, IMO, Okami out zelda'ed every zelda game. -much larger world and bigger story -better characters -more charm -better combat The only area it did not do better in was the fact that it took a while to get going...whereas many (though not all) zelda games start out stronger
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#16 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

I have played every zelda console game up until the Wii game and consider myself to be a fan of the series. But, IMO, Okami out zelda'ed every zelda game. -much larger world and bigger story -better characters -more charm -better combat rawsavon

And a wolf-god is a much more compelling central character than Gary green hat.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 turtlethetaffer

I love Okami for what it was, I would love to see another game like this

benleslie5

Okamiden was released on DS. Nowheere near as good as Okami, but still really good and worth playing.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Okami is a beautiful game, no doubt. But there's just no comparison to a series as high-quality and as long-running as Zelda. Nearly every single Zelda games (excludng the CD-i, of course) is a masterpiece. And there's a bunch of them.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#19 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I think Okami is much more unique, at least now it is, but it's difficult to argue with a video game that's followed the same formula(more or less) for 20 years and is still successful.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

1 game vs a legacy franchise? kind of ridiculous dont you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I love Zelda, but I absolutely hated Okami. Everything from the artstyle to the combat, I thought it sucked. That's just me though, so try out both and see for yourself.

Renegade_Fury
I thought Okami stunk as well. The game felt like one bill ol gimmick.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#22 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Not a huge fan of either, but I pick LoZ for OoT, which was the only LoZ I finished, and loved it. Started Okami but pushed it back into my backlog.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Love both, can't really decide which one's better!

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#24 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are the only Zelda games I've played through all the way but I feel they were better than Okami. Okami was about twenty hors longer than it needed to be. It felt padded out and the script was pretty obnoxious That said, I still feel like Okami was still a great game and you have to give it credit for it's creativity and presentation too. I just feel like the Zelda games were better paced.
LAN7ERN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LAN7ERN
Member since 2013 • 352 Posts
The Zelda series is one of the best ones of all time.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I have no idea why people like Okami's combat, or how they can say it has better puzzles.  Zelda is far superior.  

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blueresident87

I have no idea why people like Okami's combat, or how they can say it has better puzzles. Zelda is far superior.

NaveedLife

I think you said before that Zelda is pretty much superior in every way that matters most, and you're right. Okami has its place for what it does, Zelda is better overall.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

I have no idea why people like Okami's combat, or how they can say it has better puzzles. Zelda is far superior.

Blueresident87

I think you said before that Zelda is pretty much superior in every way that matters most, and you're right. Okami has its place for what it does, Zelda is better overall.

I personally think that Okami has a better overworld design than many Zeldas... It was a very fun game to explore.  Only a few Zeldas compete with it, like MM and WW.

Not saying Okami is better though, just in that way.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts
am current playing okami ( 5hr in) and while it looks amazing and has bucket loads of charm, i finding it quite boring.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

turtlethetaffer

I personally think that Okami has a better overworld design than many Zeldas... It was a very fun game to explore. Only a few Zeldas compete with it, like MM and WW.

Agreed that Okami does have better overworld design, but I don't find that the poor design of most worlds in Zelda hurts the games that much. A Link to The Past has the best overworld design of any Zelda game for me, along with MM and WW like you said. But even other Zelda games that lack in this department provide a solid 'Zelda' experience.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Interesting responses from everyone. Im currently on the final boss and Ive enjoyed the game mainly for the mood it creates and the steady unlocking of abilities that make revisiting older sections an enjoyable activity. Its dungeons and puzzles are really basic though, and there are only a few but they help to break up the game and are not the focus. Its also a pretty simple game, how do the Zeldas compare in that regard?
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blueresident87

Interesting responses from everyone. Im currently on the final boss and Ive enjoyed the game mainly for the mood it creates and the steady unlocking of abilities that make revisiting older sections an enjoyable activity. Its dungeons and puzzles are really basic though, and there are only a few but they help to break up the game and are not the focus. Its also a pretty simple game, how do the Zeldas compare in that regard?GulliversTravel

The dungeons in the Zelda games are far more complex overall than anything you'll find in Okami. The puzzles are a main focus of the Zelda games.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, how are the two franchises comparable?

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
I've never been able to get into the Zelda series but I will keep trying. Okami is one of my favourite games though. Truly a work of art and enjoyable to play.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#35 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, how are the two franchises comparable?

Business_Fun
In both games you use a being with legs, duh :roll:
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

Dudersaper

In both games you use a being with legs, duh :roll:

And the answer was staring me in the face :( Complete idiot it is, then.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Blueresident87

I personally think that Okami has a better overworld design than many Zeldas... It was a very fun game to explore. Only a few Zeldas compete with it, like MM and WW.

Agreed that Okami does have better overworld design, but I don't find that the poor design of most worlds in Zelda hurts the games that much. A Link to The Past has the best overworld design of any Zelda game for me, along with MM and WW like you said. But even other Zelda games that lack in this department provide a solid 'Zelda' experience.

Oh totally I didn't mean to say the world designs in Zelda games are bad. Just that I think Okami got the feel of it down better than many Zelda games.

The reason I love MM and WW's worlds so much is because they actually feel like adventurous worlds.  MM is dripping with atmosphere, so there's always something cool to see or something to find.  WW just has a grand sense of advanture, of sailing toe ocean blue and really discovering new things. It's awesome.

IMO ALttP overworld is just all right, I think the game as a whole is kinda overrated. That being said, it's still one of the btter Zelda games, and definitely one of the all time greats. I just don't think it's as godly as some people say.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Okami> A Link to the Past turtlethetaffer
I usually like your posts but this is just laughable. Anyway, Okami is an pretty fun.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]Okami> A Link to the Past YoshiYogurt
I usually like your posts but this is just laughable. Anyway, Okami is an pretty fun.

Like I said, flame shield raised. I don't really think ALttP is as godly as some people say. Is it a great game? Absoultely, one of the best. But I don't think it's God tier.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Blueresident87

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]Okami> A Link to the Past turtlethetaffer

Like I said, flame shield raised. I don't really think ALttP is as godly as some people say. Is it a great game? Absoultely, one of the best. But I don't think it's God tier.

I think I have plenty of nostalgia that clouds my judgement of ALttP, in fact I know I do. I haven't played the game in a very long time. But I do remember the overworld being full of mystery and I remember it being interesting in a way that I wanted to explore it just as much as I wanted to conquer the dungeons. I don't think I've felt that for any other Zelda game save MM. As you said, MM has a tremendous overworld.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] I usually like your posts but this is just laughable. Anyway, Okami is an pretty fun.Blueresident87

I think I have plenty of nostalgia that clouds my judgement of ALttP, in fact I know I do. I haven't played the game in a very long time. But I do remember the overworld being full of mystery and I remember it being interesting in a way that I wanted to explore it just as much as I wanted to conquer the dungeons. I don't think I've felt that for any other Zelda game save MM. As you said, MM has a tremendous overworld.

Very true. But the same holds true for the original Legend of Zelda, IMO. I bombed, flamed, and rocked-pushed the hell out of that overworld looking for secrets.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="YoshiYogurt"] I usually like your posts but this is just laughable. Anyway, Okami is an pretty fun.Blueresident87

Again, I'm not bashing ALttP in any way. I beat it a few years ago and it really is still a fantastic game. I just think Okami is better, that's all.  I liked the atmosphere, story and exploratory elements better, although ALttP had much better dungeon design.

From what I think, I'd say that Okami is more about the world and Zelda tends to be more about the dungeons. Not always, but a lot of the time.

And I think Wind Waker also had one of the better overworlds in the series.  It had a fantastic feeling of adventure. It just made you want to hop in the boat and set course for uncharted islands. (I thought the sailing wasn't bad, I liked the anticipation and found it relaxing.)  Although MM has quite possibly the best atmosphere in any game ever, WW is a close contender for one of the best overworlds in gaming.