Your view on Guitar Hero & Rock Band's objective

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pokefan_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 pokefan_10
Member since 2006 • 391 Posts

I was looking through Guitar Hero's cultural impact on Wikipedia & I saw a part of the article saying that he doesn't believe that people can learn how to play a guitar by playing Guitar Hero, Rock Band, etc. When I continued, it also said that Prince has the same view. They don't get it. Guitar Hero & Rock Band are meant to influence people to play guitar or drums or start a band not how to play one & it's also meant to introduce younger audiences to the music from the time before they were born or music from bands they never heard of & obviously, it's for entertainment. If you got a different view on their objective then post them here.

EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

I doubt many people have been influenced to play guitar from Guitar Hero. They were probably influenced to buy more editions of Guitar Hero and buy more songs, but I don't see any connection to an actual guitar other than the shape of the controller and how it's held. The difference between five buttons and 47 notes is huge. One is a game, the other is an instrument. I really don't see any comparison. I find playing a real guitar more fun because making music myself is more fulfilling than pressing buttons to correspond with signals on a screen.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Well i say Guitar Hero and Rock Band somwhat inspired me to buy a guitar which i have, i know a few will just bash saying milk which it is but its still fun to play really and well yeah its for entertainment
Mr_Versipellis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#4 Mr_Versipellis
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts
And there i was thinking that the objective of guitar hero was to make Activision money... I still enjoy the games, but I've been playing bass since I was a kid.
dr-bones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 dr-bones
Member since 2006 • 218 Posts
I don't understand why people expect gH to teach the player how to play the gutair. It's a video game, pretty much just made for entertainment purposes. Peaple to expect Street Fighter to teach player how to fight, so why would GH teach them how to play?
San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#6 San-Frodenzo
Member since 2008 • 14337 Posts
well even when GH and RB didn't teach me how to play guitar they did encourage me to buy a real guitar and start learning to play it... and of course is NOT the same as real guitar requires real effort and a LOT perseverance and practice.. and even if it doesn't encourage you to buy a real instrument, just the fact that it's getting this generation of kids closer to classic rock and old songs it's important enough for me. I'm 29yo love rock and roll and I was proud of the game the day my 12yo cousin asked me "cousin do you have music of this band jethro tull and black sabbath? coz I listened to them in rockband and I liked the songs" baby jebus bless RB2 for that bro
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

Rockband is pretty much group karaoke, with air guitar for score. It's an awesome party game.

If it gets a few kids (and adults) interested in learning a few power chords on an actual guitar, well, that's just a side benefit. :)

TylerW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 TylerW
Member since 2002 • 451 Posts

If I recall correctly, Alex Rigopolus of Harmonix said in an interview with us at E3... 2007? that he wanted Rock Band to allow people who didn't play instruments to be able to experience the sense of togetherness and symbiosis of playing music with other people. He also joked make a joke later on, once the drum controller had been revealed, that his other secret agenda was for Rock Band to help create "an army of rock drummers" in the world, but I don't think he was ever too serious about this.

I don't think that Harmonix or Neversoft had any aspirations of Rock Band or Guitar Hero to ever be proper learning tools to help someone play guitar or drums. Even the drums, which are a fairly close analog to the real thing, won't teach you anything about the root fundamentals of drumming. As a drummer, one thing I have appreciated through Rock band is playing through the music of other drummers. its greatly diversified the rhythms I come up with in the band that I play in.

Its easy to see how these games might provide the seed of an idea in someone's head that they'd like to pursue learning a musical instrument, but it isn't a teaching tool. Its a rock show simulator to bring together musicians and amateurs alike, and its a pretty fun one at that.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#9 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I can't see learning how to play Guitar from either game. They both are pure entertainment to me.