Your personal favourite arcade style racing game IPs/franchises?

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#1 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1309 posts) -

Hello there drivers in Game Discussion board!

What are your personal favourite arcade-style racing game IPs/franchises?

My personal favourites are:

  1. Forza Horizon
  2. Project Gotham Racing
  3. Test Drive: Unlimited
  4. Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune
  5. Grid
  6. The Crew
  7. Battle Gear
  8. Ridge Racer
  9. Sega Rally
  10. Initial D: Arcade Stage
  11. Motorhead
  12. Need For Speed
  13. Burnout
  14. Motorstorm
  15. Blur
  16. Midnight Club
  17. Daytona USA
  18. F-Zero
  19. Destruction Derby
Avatar image for vfighter
#2 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

Outrun

Project Gotham Racing

Chase HQ

Motor Storm

Mario Cart

Avatar image for Nuck81
#3 Posted by Nuck81 (7409 posts) -

Midnight Club

Avatar image for worlds_apart
#4 Posted by Worlds_Apart (153 posts) -

Ridge Racer

Top Gear

F-Zero

Street Racer

Mario Kart

I don't enjoy the newer racers.

Avatar image for davillain-
#5 Posted by DaVillain- (35975 posts) -
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Mario Kart
  • F-Zero
  • Forza Horizon
  • Need for Speed
  • Spyhunter
Avatar image for Archangel3371
#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (27548 posts) -

- Forza Horizon

- Ridge Racer

- Mario Kart

Avatar image for uninspiredcup
#7 Posted by uninspiredcup (32724 posts) -

Trackmania.

Avatar image for warmblur
#8 Posted by warmblur (2123 posts) -

The original Wipeout.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#9 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18667 posts) -

Forza Horizon (obviously). And Project Gotham Racing back in the day.

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#10 Posted by Sevenizz (3589 posts) -

Forza Horizon 3/4

Mario Kart: Double Dash

Burnout 3: Takedown

Stunt Race FX

Project Gotham Racing 2

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Ridge Racer 6

Avatar image for vfighter
#11 Posted by VFighter (4787 posts) -

@Sevenizz: Burn out, I,forgot about those games, love them!

Avatar image for heathen75
#12 Edited by HEATHEN75 (662 posts) -

Forza Horizon

Need for Speed

Mario Kart

Avatar image for with_teeth26
#13 Posted by with_teeth26 (9468 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

Trackmania.

this

Avatar image for judaspete
#14 Edited by judaspete (2903 posts) -
  • F-Zero
  • Motorstorm
  • Need for Speed (specifically the gen-6 Black Box era)
  • Split/Second
  • Excite Truck/Bots
  • Blur
  • Burnout

I love this genre. Slowed down a bit at the beginning of this gen, but seems to be coming back.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#15 Edited by MclarenMaster18 (1309 posts) -

@judaspete said:
  • F-Zero
  • Motorstorm
  • Need for Speed (specifically the gen-6 Black Box era)
  • Split/Second
  • Excite Truck/Bots
  • Blur
  • Burnout

I love this genre. Slowed down a bit at the beginning of this gen, but seems to be coming back.

Yep, there is a new racing game IP coming up: Xenon Racer

I still hope F-Zero, Motorstorm, Excite Truck/Bots/Bike and Burnout to return by next generation console era.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#16 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1309 posts) -

@davillain- said:
  • Hydro Thunder
  • Mario Kart
  • F-Zero
  • Forza Horizon
  • Need for Speed
  • Spyhunter

I missed Spy Hunter series so much!

It's also a shoot em'up as well.

Avatar image for jackamomo
#17 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -
  • Screamer 1, 2 and Rally (PC-DOS)
  • V-Rally 2000: Expert Edition (Dreamcast)
  • Metropolis Street Racer (DC), Blur (PC)
  • Outrun, Outrunners, Turbo Outrun, Outrun 2019 (holy crap that game is based on this year and it is exactly how it is) (Mega Drive)
  • Virtua Racing (Genesis/32x)
  • Colin McRae every single version including the Dirt games. (PC)
  • Road Rash 1 and 2 (Mega Drive) - sorry Road Rash 3 I don't like your digitised sprites.
Avatar image for judaspete
#18 Posted by judaspete (2903 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:
@judaspete said:
  • F-Zero
  • Motorstorm
  • Need for Speed (specifically the gen-6 Black Box era)
  • Split/Second
  • Excite Truck/Bots
  • Blur
  • Burnout

I love this genre. Slowed down a bit at the beginning of this gen, but seems to be coming back.

Yep, there is a new racing game IP coming up: Xenon Racer

I still hope F-Zero, Motorstorm, Excite Truck/Bots/Bike and Burnout to return by next generation console era.

Got my eye on that one for sure. Looks like Ridge Racer kicked up a few notches.

Avatar image for jackamomo
#19 Edited by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: Spy Hunter is a scrolling shooter where you play a flying car. It is in no way a racing game.

Good SMS game though.

I would say Dakar 18 is the best racing game out right now but one game isn't a series yet although they are planning annual releases.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#20 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1309 posts) -

@judaspete said:
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@judaspete said:
  • F-Zero
  • Motorstorm
  • Need for Speed (specifically the gen-6 Black Box era)
  • Split/Second
  • Excite Truck/Bots
  • Blur
  • Burnout

I love this genre. Slowed down a bit at the beginning of this gen, but seems to be coming back.

Yep, there is a new racing game IP coming up: Xenon Racer

I still hope F-Zero, Motorstorm, Excite Truck/Bots/Bike and Burnout to return by next generation console era.

Got my eye on that one for sure. Looks like Ridge Racer kicked up a few notches.

To me the gameplay is also like Motorhead by DICE.

Plus it has one similarity with F-Zero and Wipeout: vehicle's health condition

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#21 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1309 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@mclarenmaster18: Spy Hunter is a scrolling shooter where you play a flying car. It is in no way a racing game.

Good SMS game though.

I would say Dakar 18 is the best racing game out right now but one game isn't a series yet although they are planning annual releases.

Actually the Spy Car (G-6155 Interceptor) cannot fly, but in Spy Hunter 2001, the car can transform into speed boat but when the vehicle's condition becomes critical damage it will morph into a motorcycle or a jet ski.

Avatar image for judaspete
#22 Posted by judaspete (2903 posts) -

@jackamomo said:

@mclarenmaster18: Spy Hunter is a scrolling shooter where you play a flying car. It is in no way a racing game.

Good SMS game though.

I would say Dakar 18 is the best racing game out right now but one game isn't a series yet although they are planning annual releases.

Darkar is a series. There was just a 15-year gap between the last two releases :)

Avatar image for jackamomo
#24 Posted by Jackamomo (2157 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18: I was thinking of Action Fighter but just thought 'f*ck it - post your smart arsed comment anyway without checking, what could go wrong?'.

Avatar image for raining51
#25 Posted by Raining51 (800 posts) -

What's the NES one... but yeah I still ahve great memories of tha tone the one with palm trees and really low fi graphics that went well.

I think in general I just don't gravitate towards racigin so my preferences are w eird I recognize it's iportance to other peoiple though.

Avatar image for l34052
#26 Posted by l34052 (3902 posts) -

Not really an arcade racing fan, however, I did like V Rally on the PS1 and multiplayer F Zero on the n64 was fantastic fun sat around the TV with a group of friends.