Your opinion on Yoshi's Island (aka Super Mario World 2)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

I think Yoshi's Island (also known as Super Mario World 2) is one of the best platformers ever made and gets too little praise imo. I think it suffers from the same problem than Bros. 2 on the NES did, namely it doesn't play like a typical Mario game and is therefore underappreciated.

I think the level design in this game is brilliant and the game is still beautiful to look at (thanks to a great, cartoony art style).

The game also has amazing boss fights and is just massive.

The mini games are also good.

Some people may complain about the non-typical gameplay (we play with Yoshi 95% of the time after all) and the "kiddy" graphics and music but those able to look past this may find an amazing platformer.

Write your opinion on the game if you played it (or still intend to do so).

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#2 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

A quality platformer with cool power ups and excellent level design.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

It's a great platformer that had a good number of fun gimmicks and plenty of level exploration. The only real problems I have with it are that it's too easy, even when compared to other Mario games, and that it doesn't have enough powerup types (I still miss the days of SMB3 in this regard).

Overall I like it, but it's never captivated me enough to want to 100% it again.

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

Excellent game; possibly my favorite platformer on the SNES, and that's saying a lot since the SNES had a lot of quality platformers. The level and art designs were great, and the boss fights were fun.

I was so excited when Yoshi's Story was announced, but the end result didn't match the quality of YI.

MisterBucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 MisterBucky
Member since 2007 • 122 Posts

yeah this mario game with like the fruits and the hearts was really wierd but i did enjoy the game

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

basically my favorite SNES game. i love it. i think i might just go play that soon:P

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#7 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
It's probably one of the most creative games I've ever played and one of the most graphically-appealing. It's just an overall amazing game that I could play day-in and day-out.
crookedshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 crookedshoes
Member since 2008 • 138 Posts

One of my all time favorite games. Did you see they are making it for the 3DS VC, but it going to be using "New Features"? WHHHHHHOOOOOO

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#9 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) is without a doubt one of the best games ever made. I think the first thing that struck me was the graphics-I love the look and feel of it. Super Mario World is an excellent game and this is definitely a worthy sequel in every possible way.

Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

This was my favorite SNES platform by far! The visual style was unique and was one of the best looking 16 bit games at that time.

The level designs were amazing, and the gmae offered a lot of content.

I don't think there is anything else to say about this that hasn't already been said, but I agree, very underrated game

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

oops i seemed to have droped this link here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhEeynI6-k

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
It was really good. Different from the typical Mario formula, but that made me enjoy it more I think. I really liked the DS version too.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
This game is such a gem
dameon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dameon51
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

Totally a great game. At the time I thought it was "good", but looking back at it, it really pushed SNES to the limits, technically and in game play.

gamer_CNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamer_CNSK
Member since 2010 • 175 Posts
Great game. I really like the art style and level design. I thought the seaqual on the DS was pretty solid as well.
JuarN18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JuarN18
Member since 2007 • 4981 Posts

Great artstyle, good level design, overrated, awesome bosses and good music

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'm going against the crowd on this one. I didn't like it much. The graphics were way too cartoony and kiddie looking for me. And I hated having to babysit Baby Mario. I didn't care for the egg-shooting controls either, felt really awkward to me. I was also hoping for a true sequel to the in-freaking-credible Super Mario World game, and was quite disappointed we never got one.

Since I brought it up: What's stopping Nintendo from making a true Super Mario World sequel? They could release it for Nintendo DS/3DS and/or WiiWare. I'd be all over that as would millions of Nintendo/Mario/Platforming fans.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Since I brought it up: What's stopping Nintendo from making a true Super Mario World sequel? They could release it for Nintendo DS/3DS and/or WiiWare. I'd be all over that as would millions of Nintendo/Mario/Platforming fans.

Emerald_Warrior

Well the way I see it New SMB. Wii is a sequel of sorts. And although SMW is subtitled SMB.4 in the Japanese edition, I personally never felt it was.

I also find it funny how you write off Yoshi's Island just because of the "kiddy" graphics but to each their own.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

nameless12345

Well the way I see it New SMB. Wii is a sequel of sorts. And although SMW is subtitled SMB.4 in the Japanese edition, I personally never felt it was.

I also find it funny how you write off Yoshi's Island just because of the "kiddy" graphics but to each their own.

The graphics were only one of the reasons I mentioned for not enjoying it.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#20 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

The graphics were only one of the reasons I mentioned for not enjoying it.

The graphics in SMW2:YI were definitely different, but I embraced them completely-over time. At first I was like "whoa" and then eventually I had an appreciation for what I was seeing. The graphics arenot for everyone and I think more than the graphics the gameplay mechanics were a bit different too. I can honestly say that listening to Baby Mario cry could be quite annoying not to mention that I would have to get him back in a certain amount of time frustrated things a bit further. All in all an EXCELLENT game.