Your NES History

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hamau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Hamau
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

Hello, GameSpot!

This is my first post here, so for it I decided to start the following topic:

Tell me your history with the original NES/Famicom! What was the first game(s) you played? What's your favourite game?

For me, personally, gaming began with the NES. Some of the first video games I played in my life EVER are Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt, and later on Contra, Guerilla War and Whacky Racers. Only then did I move on to other platforms such as the PC. So what about you?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Pretty much the only NES games I played was the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo cart at a friend's house. My first console was the SNES.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

My first game that played on the NES was Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt because they came packed in with the system. I had a great time with the NES and played sooooo many games on it like the Super Mario Bros., Contra, Castlevania, Mega Man games etc. I also very fondly remember my introduction to the JRPG genre when Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy first came out.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

As a kid in the fall of 1986 I walked into JCPenney's and purchased the deluxe set. Gyromite was a fun game and one that could make a resurgence in some fashion. I don't remember a Nintendo craze that first Xmas but in 1987 I sure do recall the hype and insanity.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11664 Posts

My first was playing Kirby on my Dads old Famicom. He only had three games on the system. But honestly as a kid it was pretty forgettable with all the platforms that I had access too so never thought of investing in more games.

So, didn't really play any others till they became downloadable.

And even now I don't know if older people just look back with nostalgia or what? I appreciate what the console did for gaming, however I can't think of many games on it I like playing.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I got the Action Set for Xmas when i was in elementary school, I remember it was $113.00 and of course SMB/Duck Hunt combo was the first I played on it. We had a video rental store nearby, well several actually and I rented most of my games. Played all the ones every NES owner played but I only owned 13 games for that system before moving onto the Genesis. I had Zelda 1, Karnov, River City Ransom, TMNT, SMB combo car, SMB 2, SMB 3, Ninja Gaiden 1&2. I forget the rest.

Then one day after HS, I got tired of it taking up storage space so I pitched everything out with the trash never thinking that maybe one day I'd want to collect it.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I used to play mostly Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3, Contra, Duck Hunt, Rad Racer, and World Class Track Meet on my cousins' NES. These days I just primarily play the Mega Man games.

Hamau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Hamau

@Solaryellow: Oh, yeah, I remember that game! Had kinda forgotten about it, thanks. Gotta dig it up outta one of the boxes of cartridges.

Hamau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hamau

@Renegade_Fury: Mega Man were far too difficult for me when I used to seriously play on the NES. x)

Nowadays, however, whenever I go back to try an old game on the NES I have no trouble playing them.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Gyromite

Duck hunt

Mario bros

Football

That's what got me started in gaming. I played so much Football it's ridiculous lol

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Mario Bros/Duck Hunt Combo

Punch Out

Excitebike

Contra

TMNT

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

The NES was not my first console, but it was the first one that really opened up the realm of what is possible with video games and their design. I didn't get the console until 1988, which was perfect because by that time there was a great library for the system. The first game I ever played was Adventure Island, as I played this before I played the Mario/Duck Hunt game that came packed with the system. There were so many games that made an impression, Adventure Island, Legend of Zelda, Bubble Bobble, Castlevania, River City Ransom, 1942...It would take me an hour to list them all. Great system, and for the time when it came out maybe the best ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

During the NES era I owned Mario/Duck hunt combo and played it a lot, I also had Mega Man 3. But I played Mega Man 2 before. I also played Final Fantasy and many many many game that I just couldn't tel what was going on but I played !

Like I remember the Ghostbuster game that I didn't understand what to do. TMNT was super difficult for no reason. Mario 3 was great. I remember that I couldn't got past like the 4th or 5th level in Gi Joe. Oh and Contra and the famous cheat code haha that was great, same thing with Alien.

I haven't played Metroid back then. I played Zelda but didn't get what I had to do but I remember it was special in its gold cartridge.

I have to say I didn't speak english back then but every video games were in English because of where I lived so yeah a confused NES days at least it was more action or platformer back then.

Hamau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Hamau

@cejay0813: I used to play a shit ton of TMNT The Manhattan Project

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts

@hamau: Maniac Mansion, Final Fantasy, Shadow Gate...trying to open the memory paths...lol. These were good times :)

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Too young.

pook99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17 pook99
Member since 2014 • 915 Posts

Can't remember the game I played first(might have been metroid or zelda) but the nes defined my childhood. Every weekend my mom would take my brother and I to the video store and rent a game or two for the weekend. As a result I have played tons of nes games in my life.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I was at a local electronics store called Fritter. They went out of business in the early 90's. Around 1986 or so they had a NES demo and a couch. My buddy and I would walk up there and sit for hours and play Mario Bros. I asked my parents for a NES for Xmas and they said no. My grandfather bought me one to smite my parents. The first game I bought was the shinny gold cart with my Xmas money. I had no idea what it was it just stood out because it was gold. The electronic store only had like 10 games. Video games have been a big part of my life since 1981. Having played so many video games over the years I'm kinda cynical when it comes of newer stuff. I'm not easily impressed with trailers and reviews. I really have a dislike for anything to do online gaming. I really hate DLC microtransactions unfinished games patches and multiplayer. Online multiplayer was fun and all for the first few years of COD but ever since then it just started to feel repetitive and redundant.

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

Mario Bros.

SMB/Duck Hunt

SMB 2

SMB 3

TLoZ

TLoZ: The Adventure of Link

Metroid

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#20 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

For six years of my childhood, I had to go to other friends' houses to play their NES. Or, I'd have to rent one. It wasn't until 1990 when I bought my first NES, and I didn't even get to enjoy that much because the SNES came out a year later. Still, for what little time I had with it, it was a fantastic system. And, I'm pretty sure my first game I ever played on it was Super Mario Bros.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

99% of my NES life was playing mario 3 love that damn game