john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By john_coronado
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

So The Game Awards 2017 is just around the corner. Perhaps, it's the most anticipated event gamers are looking forward. Games from different genres are gathered once again with one goal in mind and that is to create a remarkable history by winning the so-called GotY. So who's your top pick among the ever-anticipated list of your favorite AAA games? Here are the nominees. Please pick one and tell me why you've chosen it. Let your voice be heard! ;)

Top 5 so far according to The Game Awards:

1. Super Mario Odyssey

2. Persona 5

3. Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

My choice: Horizon Zero Dawn

Why: The game exceeded my expectation knowing it's an action-adventure RPG that entails a one-man mission to save the world from great ill-fortune. But the game which exemplifies, not only in plot, made a satisfying delivery of sympathy to the life of Aloy and at the same time, it didn't disregard the essence of a fun yet satisfying gameplay. From combat mechanics to open-world interactions, the game just feels a one's life mystery that needs to be discovered without the need to experience a dragging narrative. As for Aloy, she nailed each main mission which emanated me to furiously crave for more continuation amidst its moving ending.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I think it's pretty obvious that BotW will get most of the GotY awards.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 john_coronado

@ArchoNils2: Will get most of the awards but still, fingers-crossed for HZD to be the GotY 2017. But LoZBTW is a great choice as well. If I only own Switch, why not. ;)

BobTheHollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 BobTheHollow
Member since 2017 • 70 Posts

Ok, I haven't played PUBG, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be on this list. I think even its creator agrees, I think he said something along those lines, didn't he? Goes to show how meaningless these awards can be...

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 john_coronado

@bobthehollow: I wasn't actually expecting that as well. Couldn't care less... Maybe the organizers saw a potential in the game.

BobTheHollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BobTheHollow

@john_coronado: Maybe they saw a potential in the market. ; )

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 john_coronado

@bobthehollow: The game is totally fun actually. It's one of those Esport games that can par on DOTA, Overwatch, the likes..etc.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@john_coronado:

My choice: Horizon Zero Dawn

The game exceeded my expectation knowing it's an action-adventure RPG that entails a one-man mission to save the world from great ill-fortune.

Actually Guerrilla games had stated numerous times in interviews Horizon was intended to be the studios take on a Monster Hunter-like game. and many of the elements they wanted include never saw the light of day.

In that thought I don't believe they did a very good job. Will however commend Guerrilla for making a far better game than expected, considering the underwhelming reception of Killzone 3 and KZ: Shadow Fall.

Yet on it's best day Horizon is an open-world Rise of the Tomb Raider. No means a bad execution, especially if you're not dry from sandbox games mixed with an over-the-shoulder shooter (which we've had dozens recently). But when a developer states it's going to be a lot like Monster Hunter, try to hype up that fanbase, and as a fan of Monster Hunter, can't help be underwhelmed with the final result.

Maybe one day I should retry the game without that expectation I originally had, it's still got some fun robot beasts to take down that I never saw.

---

Moving on and based on the list, very strong year, likely to be Mario, or Zelda, maybe Persona.

I'm actually more curious if a DLC list is present for 2017, would be very surprised if DkSIII: The Ringed City doesn't grab the win, if that award exists lol.

BobTheHollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BobTheHollow

@john_coronado: I don't doubt that it's fun. That's most definitely relevant for a category such as "most popular," but maybe not so much for "best game." But since you found yourself surprised as well, what do you think was the driving factor that made the game make it to the list at all? And, do you agree that these awards mean absolutely nothing? They could. But they don't. Which is a shame, really, it could be either a sign or a stepping stone to moving the whole industry forward and allowing video games to be recognized as an artistic medium. As it is, we're no better than the Oscars. =P

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By john_coronado

@bobthehollow: I am clueless on their criteria really. I thought, simply, there were like a lot of games were discussed during their meeting perhaps, and/or the majority picked that game as enjoyable and GREAT. As for me, I think the game gained that spot because of its game design in multiplayer aspect. Fun yet intuitive. Well, after all, it depends on them, but for sure, plainly, it's for recognition purposes I believe. I can't judge totally since I haven't played the game at it's best yet. Though if you'll ask me, there are lot better games suited for that spot (other than PUBG).

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 john_coronado

@RSM-HQ: DLC is not included in a category. Haven't they got one before? But Monster Hunter World, I think was one of the nominees in their most "anticipated games" category.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RSM-HQ
@bobthehollow said:

Ok, I haven't played PUBG, but it seems to me that it shouldn't be on this list.

I've sunk a few hours into PlayerUnknown, personally think it's a pretty awesome game, that does its own thing and should be rewarded for doing something fresh with the over-saturated death match modes in modern games.

Shooting isn't just responsive with the game but the impact with every weapon is very satisfying, also jumping into a new match is really simple and easy.

Whether a Beta should be GotY contender is up for debate, World of Warcraft was technically in Beta when it won GotY awards so feel it's personally justified for the game.

And though I'd personally prefer if Divinity: Original Sin II got nominated instead of PUBG, who am I to argue on a popularity poll.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

I'm having a hard time deciding but for me it goes to Wolfenstein II.

I also really enjoyed Dishonored, Prey, Day of Infamy and Shadow of War this year :)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Wolfenstein II.

Followed by What Remains of Edith Finch.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RSM-HQ
@john_coronado said:

@RSM-HQ: But Monster Hunter World, I think was one of the nominees in their most "anticipated games" category.

Oh really? That makes me very happy :)

Though depending what it's up against I may not expect it to win anything, I don't follow these Awards so not sure what the prefered taste in games is.

Yet based on the above listing I'd imagine Red Dead Redemption 2 will take the win, and I'm fine with that (coming from a Monster Hunter fanboi)

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Cat Quest

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

Horizon zero dawn

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven't played that many games this year but HZD blew me away.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

I havent played many releases this year.

Out of that list, I only completed BOTW, which was a very good game but not great. STill its the only one I've played so... lol

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 john_coronado

@soul_starter: BOTW is a great game though. But it lacks that Zelda-ish vibe compared to other Zelda games. I am actually rooting for it as well if HZD can't get the GotY.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By john_coronado

@SOedipus: Cat Quest? what's that? didn't hear that game

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Definitely Persona 5 because it ticked all the right boxes for me. It was a lengthy JRPG with great artwork, characters, and music that wasn't afraid to go straight up turn based when most developers are shying away from old school JRPG mechanics. I'm also blown away that a niche RPG such as Persona was even nominated for GOTY this year but I'm happy because Atlus deserved it imo

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i'd probably go with horizon right now although i'm treating myself to a switch for xmas so there may be a couple of late challengers to the throne. i'm also waiting to grab a copy of persona 5 when i see it at the right price.

@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm having a hard time deciding but for me it goes to Wolfenstein II.

I also really enjoyed Dishonored, Prey, Day of Infamy and Shadow of War this year :)

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Wolfenstein II.

Followed by What Remains of Edith Finch.

what did you both like so much about it that made you pick it as goty?

despite a few highlights and nice touches here and there i thought it was pretty average as a shooter. i preferred the new order

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Macutchi: Same way I think about Horizon :)

I absolutely loved its world and visual design, I absolutely loved its cavemen vs robot dinosaur setting. But the gameplay of Horizon itself bored me to tears. I wanted to finish the game, but at the end I was struggeling through it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Macutchi

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Macutchi: Same way I think about Horizon :)

I absolutely loved its world and visual design, I absolutely loved its cavemen vs robot dinosaur setting. But the gameplay of Horizon itself bored me to tears. I wanted to finish the game, but at the end I was struggeling through it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

oh yeah 100%. i'm forever disagreeing with mates about the quality of games. i'm just curious with so many other strong contenders this year what it was about wolfenstein that made it your goty. makes me feel like i've overlooked some aspect(s). this does happen more often than i care to admit ha

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Macutchi said:

oh yeah 100%. i'm forever disagreeing with mates about the quality of games. i'm just curious with so many other strong contenders this year what it was about wolfenstein that made it your goty. makes me feel like i've overlooked some aspect(s). this does happen more often than i care to admit ha

Fair enough !

I've seen some people actually hate on Wolfenstein II a lot, calling it a lousy stealth game, or forcing you to do stealth... But that's not how I played at all.

The way I played Wolfenstein II was this: constantly being on my feet, constantly jumping and running and sliding and crouching.

All whilst holding an assault rifle in one hand and a SMG in the other... Blasting my way through entire legions of germans.

The gunplay in TNO and TOB were so much fun, and I loved those games. But in The New Colossus it seemed on a whole other level.

Whenever I picked up one of those four barreled shotguns (those mounted guns) I never wanted to let go of one of those, I just wanted to tear through as many enemies as possible.

I could go on and on about how I love wolfenstein II's world, weapons and enemies.

But there was this point where I cleared an entire level of enemies (the manhatten penthouse) and just before exiting the level I found this record.

It had this song on it:

Loading Video...

Right then and there i was just relaxing, relaxing after playing a very tense mission that I failed over and over but finally beat... Just had a big fat smile on my face :D

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01

@Macutchi: Simply put, I think it's the most memorable game I've played this year. It oozes character and tells an interesting story.

The gameplay is rock solid too. It was just such a roller-coaster ride and I can't wait to play it again!

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Macutchi

@hrt_rulz01: @R4gn4r0k: ha that's a quality tune tbf.

i loved the first level. really inventive, bit disorientating but getting through in one piece whilst in the chair felt like a huge achievement. then the cut scenes were exactly what you'd want from a wolfenstein game- completely bat shit over the top and the suit you inherit was really cool. the ship interior you get to initially was really pretty in parts too.

but then after that it was a bit hit and miss, both gameplay and visually wise. i think playing it guns blazing is definitely the way to play it. i'm a big stealth fan so the prospect of being able to mix up play styles was really appealing at first but the stealth ultimately felt a bit under realised and not a viable option for more than just an occasional kill here and there. i remember a few bits when i was hid well away from enemies, only to hear the alarm as they'd discovered a body i took out earlier in the level and suddenly have them all descend upon me, inexplicably all of a sudden knowing exactly where i was hiding. that kind of thing i found frustrating.

there were other little niggles too but i think ultimately my problem with it was i was trying too hard to force the stealth when i should have just given it up and gone all john rambo. i'll give it a few weeks and then give it another blast.

perversely i'm actually quite enjoying the cod ww2 campaign. don't judge me

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Macutchi: Nice to hear your thoughts.

I never gave the stealth a try myself, so it's a shame to hear it's not really viable (I was gonna stealth on my second playthrough, but then my first playthrough took so long doing all the ubercommander missions that I postponed it)

The first level is truly amazing, same with entering the nazi spaceship for the first time. It builds up to the laser weapons firing enemy, which seems like a boss as he is really tough to take out... But then you realise that wasn't even a boss but just a slightly tougher enemy.

I like how the panzerhund is much slower and more menacing than in the previous games, lighting up the New Orleans night sky with his flamethrower.

Talking about the stealth vs action debate:

I feel like Wolfenstein is this balls to the walls action game where you have to guns blazing, as the gunplay and loud gun sounds just force you to play it like that.

Meanwhile a game like Dishonored 2 or Death of The Outsider gives me the option to go action-y but I just always stealth my way through those games xD

_______

Oh and COD: WWII campaign is pretty damn wonderful !!! Lots of variation and nice blend of action and stealth ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online

@hrt_rulz01 said:

@Macutchi: Simply put, I think it's the most memorable game I've played this year. It oozes character and tells an interesting story.

The gameplay is rock solid too. It was just such a roller-coaster ride and I can't wait to play it again!

Same here, I'm gonna let it sink in for a bit. And then I'm gonna go for a second playthrough.

Also really looking forward to the DLC expansions :)

But I'll wait until they are all released before playing them all in one go.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah the DLC looks cool too. Picked it up on sale last week on XBL :)

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Macutchi

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Macutchi: Nice to hear your thoughts.

I never gave the stealth a try myself, so it's a shame to hear it's not really viable (I was gonna stealth on my second playthrough, but then my first playthrough took so long doing all the ubercommander missions that I postponed it)

definitely give it a go when you play it next. it'd be interesting to see if it works any better for you than it did me.

@R4gn4r0k said:

Talking about the stealth vs action debate:

I feel like Wolfenstein is this balls to the walls action game where you have to guns blazing, as the gunplay and loud gun sounds just force you to play it like that.

Meanwhile a game like Dishonored 2 or Death of The Outsider gives me the option to go action-y but I just always stealth my way through those games xD

_______

Oh and COD: WWII campaign is pretty damn wonderful !!! Lots of variation and nice blend of action and stealth ;)

yeah, for the stealth connoisseur dishonored 2 and doto have been a godsend this gen, what with splinter cell and thief going to shit. they're up there with the best games of the gen for me. and i'd wholeheartedly recommend a kill-everything-that-breathes playthrough with emily in d2. a very fun and rewarding experience.

and yeah ww2 has been a pleasant surprise, particularly considering i found infinite warfare's campaign a bit of a clusterf*ck. glad i'm not the only one who's enjoying it!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01

@Macutchi said:

@hrt_rulz01: @R4gn4r0k: ha that's a quality tune tbf.

i loved the first level. really inventive, bit disorientating but getting through in one piece whilst in the chair felt like a huge achievement. then the cut scenes were exactly what you'd want from a wolfenstein game- completely bat shit over the top and the suit you inherit was really cool. the ship interior you get to initially was really pretty in parts too.

but then after that it was a bit hit and miss, both gameplay and visually wise. i think playing it guns blazing is definitely the way to play it. i'm a big stealth fan so the prospect of being able to mix up play styles was really appealing at first but the stealth ultimately felt a bit under realised and not a viable option for more than just an occasional kill here and there. i remember a few bits when i was hid well away from enemies, only to hear the alarm as they'd discovered a body i took out earlier in the level and suddenly have them all descend upon me, inexplicably all of a sudden knowing exactly where i was hiding. that kind of thing i found frustrating.

there were other little niggles too but i think ultimately my problem with it was i was trying too hard to force the stealth when i should have just given it up and gone all john rambo. i'll give it a few weeks and then give it another blast.

perversely i'm actually quite enjoying the cod ww2 campaign. don't judge me

Yeah, being stealthy in this game seemed harder than New Order... that's one complaint I did have with it. It did feel like it was really designed to go in all guns blazing.

Even trying to stealthily take out the Nazi Officers that trigger the alarms, felt a lot harder in this game.

dark_drag765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dark_drag765
Member since 2005 • 1046 Posts

Super Mario Odyssey for me

James47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By James47
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

Wolfenstein II The New Colossus

Xabi1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Xabi1998
Member since 2017 • 34 Posts

I love Super Mario Odyssey

MemberGameSpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By MemberGameSpot
Member since 2017 • 22 Posts

The only game I played from this year was Double Dragon IV.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 soul_starter

@john_coronado: For me a great game must have a certain level of outstanding achievement, in terms of graphics, sound, controls, gameplay and gameplay mechanics and in this case, open world building, BOTW is good or very good but it is not outstanding.

None of that is to say its not a good game. It is very good but falls short of Ocarina and Majora's Mask as great Zelda games.

Anyway, as its the only one Ive completed, I have no problem in it being GOTY.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k  Online

@Macutchi said:

definitely give it a go when you play it next. it'd be interesting to see if it works any better for you than it did me.

yeah, for the stealth connoisseur dishonored 2 and doto have been a godsend this gen, what with splinter cell and thief going to shit. they're up there with the best games of the gen for me. and i'd wholeheartedly recommend a kill-everything-that-breathes playthrough with emily in d2. a very fun and rewarding experience.

and yeah ww2 has been a pleasant surprise, particularly considering i found infinite warfare's campaign a bit of a clusterf*ck. glad i'm not the only one who's enjoying it!

I love Dishonored 1, it's one of my all time favourite games

Didn't even play a lot of stealth games before Dishonored.

And I really liked The New Order too :)

So I was really happy to get a sequel for both of them in 2016 and 2017 ^^

hassanmaalik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hassanmaalik
Member since 2017 • 14 Posts

I say Destiny 2

HardMode88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HardMode88
Member since 2007 • 96 Posts

@soul_starter:

@john_coronado: For me a great game must have a certain level of outstanding achievement, in terms of graphics, sound, controls, gameplay and gameplay mechanics and in this case, open world building, BOTW is good or very good but it is not outstanding.

Yes, but sadly, it's not what we seem to happen. Basically, there are only two factors that a game can be considered GotY. 1) It's critical acclaim status 2.) the depth of the story.

Similarly, like The Witcher 3, that game was not actually a total package but it excels in building a great narrative that entails a good story overall, even it lacks that fun combat style which is too simplistic still won the majority of the awards. Gameplay-wise, Fallout 4 and MGSV:TPP surpassed Witcher's gameplay, but that didn't make them a GotY. Hence, even a game didn't achieve a GotY award, that doesn't mean the game is not great. I believe MGSV has a better sound/theme and gameplay and Fallout 4 did great in gameplay too but what lacks them both is the ascension of a great storyline from their previous games which is supposedly the case but it didn't happen. So I believe, BOTW is an average pick for the GotY but for some reason, I am not sure if it has a great story like Ocarina and Windwaker based on what I've read from the reviews. Still, if they win, it would not be that so impacting.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 john_coronado

@james47: Too bad Wolfenstein The New Colossus is not nominated in GotY category. But pretty sure, they are nominated in other categories like Best Narrative, Best Game Direction, and Best Action Game.

john_coronado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 john_coronado

@nibbin1191: I am pretty sure Prey is nominated under "Best Action Game" category along with Destiny 2. So torn between these two great games...

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 soul_starter

@HardMode88: I cant argue with that. BOTW is deserving of GOTY, with HZ probably a close second, although I havent played that. Heck, Mario might even win it from what I've read.

Cboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cboy95
Member since 2017 • 180 Posts

I think it should be Wolfenstein 2 or COD WW2 for their single player.

James47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 James47
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

@john_coronado:

Yeah too bad.

PETERAKO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PETERAKO
Member since 2007 • 2579 Posts

So many actually good games came out this year, bu tall I played from this year were the early demos of destiny 1.5 and battlefront not included. But they were free and I guess you get what you pay for.