Your Favorite Strategy Role Playing Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Todd134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Todd134
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Hello all, just have a quick question for those who enjoy this genre. I have only played 4 games in this genre and they are: FF tactics(ps1 and GBA), Makai Kingdom and Disgaea 1. I absolutely adore these games and I am in the process of trying to get to level 9999 in Disgaea. I am looking for games with this type of gameplay. If you have any to suggest, no matter how obscure, PLEASE post them here, console does not matter. Thanks guys!!!!!
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
fire emblem:path of radiance and radiant dawn were both great. you cant grind levels like you can in disgaea, but that alone adds more strategy to the gameplay.
Avatar image for michelle_moraes
michelle_moraes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3 michelle_moraes
Member since 2005 • 4198 Posts
I'm between FF Tactics (PSone, PSP), Jeanne D'arc and Fire Emblem 2... those games are awesome! Rich content, characters, storyline and music!
G4M3S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 G4M3S
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
FF tactics, and disgaea 2
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#5 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Well there are quite a few.... For ps2: Suikoden Tactics, Disgaea 2, Phantom Brave(from NIS), Front Mission 4, and one that isnt a full on tactical rpg but kinda is one is Gladius I think(I didnt really like it my first time and want to try it again). For ps1: Tactics Ogre, Vandal Hearts 1-2, Front Mission 3, and Its not really an rpg but X-com UFO Defense I think best fits into the tactical genre, another game that doesnt play exactly like a tactical rpg but is one is Azure Dreams. I thought it sucked at the time but a game I would like to retry is Kartia.
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts
Fire Emblem series, Advanced Wars, and FF Tactics. SRPG's are so addictive.
bluej33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#7 bluej33
Member since 2007 • 687 Posts
For me, Fire Emblem will always be the quintessential SRPG. It's got such a perfect balance of strategy of role-playing, especially compared to other games like Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea where strategy really takes a back seat to role-playing. That said, I really do love Disgaea. I'm just now really getting into Disgaea DS, my first game in the series, and it's finally starting to be fun. It took a while to get into, and leveling-up low-level characters was really annoying. But it's a great, fun, addictive game. On the other hand, I've never really been a fan of the Final Fantasy Tactics games. I've played both FFTAs and didn't particularly enjoy either of them.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
fire Emblem series. And my favorite FE was Path of radiance.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
I'll admit I'm not all that well versed in the Strategy RPG genre, I've missed out on quite a few key titles such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Shining Force, Disgaea and so forth; but from what I have played Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is my favorite. Brilliant mix of strategy and role playing, challenging but not too frustrating and great characters and story. Waahoo.
hsaitou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hsaitou
Member since 2005 • 243 Posts
I've played a lot of srpg so far, including some games from the fire emblem, shining force and disgaea series, but for me 2 rpgs are tied as the best of the genre, and they are Dragon Force for the Saturn and Valkyria Chronicles for the PS3.
Todd134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Todd134
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Thanks for your input all. I think I will try the Fire emblem series and Phantom Brave. I like those kinds of games that can take hundreds of hours to complete, and it seems like Phantom Brave fits the bill. I will also try Tactics Ogre also since it is so similar to FF tactics.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The only ones I have ever enjoyed were the Front Mission games.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _AbBaNdOn
PB is pretty cool and has different mechanics than Makai Kingdom or Disgaea. It has a Fusion system where you squish stuff together. Whats cool is that besides normal weapons there is crap laying all over each stage and you can pick them up and keep them but you can also turn any of them into the most killer weapons in the game. Each type of item also has special attacks built into them. You wanna kill people with a starfish, a brick, a crate, a cactus, a anthill ?? YOU CAN!! lol. The bad part is enemies can rip the weapons out of your hands and if that happens only bad things can happen. Then your godly bad ass starfish of death becomes your worst nightmare as you get beat to death by it lol. Most people hate that your units disappear after a set number of turns but they are stupid. Units disappearing is NOT a problem or an issue. 99% of the time all the bad guys will be dead before your first wave of units disappears. You also get to place people and items back at your home base kinda like in Makai Kingdom. You get limited to how many people and items can be out. Its hella fun.

The only thing that bugs the hell out of me in that game and is what makes me stop playing is the tiny ass maps and getting your weapons stolen lol. Death happens a little to often for my taste.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

I think best fits into the tactical genre, another game that doesnt play exactly like a tactical rpg but is one is Azure Dreams. . _AbBaNdOn

AD is a dungeon crawler (like Chocobo's Dungeon and Mystery Shiren Wanderer) that acts out on a turn-based, grid system rather than real-time. I recommend playing it, but not in hopes of enjoying an SRPG.

My faves are Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Dragon Force (SAT), Ring of Red, and Kartia.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _AbBaNdOn
Oh yeah !!!! Well if you wont let Azure Dreams be an SRPG then neither can Ogre Battle!!! So eat that.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts
Tactical strategy games were never my speciality. That said, the most enjoyable strategy RPG I've had fun with the most has to be Final Fantasy Tactics. Great gameplay, excellent music, fantastic story, etc....if you don't believe me, play the game yourself if you haven't. It's an amazing game.
_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _AbBaNdOn
My lv9999 Zombie with attack power and accuracy over 15 million puke attacks your scrawny chocobo. Now who's amazing hehehe.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is my favorite, but then again it's the only SRPG I've played before. :P
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Oh yeah !!!! Well if you wont let Azure Dreams be an SRPG then neither can Ogre Battle!!! So eat that. _AbBaNdOn

Ogre Battle is listed as a "Fantasy Turn-Based Strategy" by GS's classifier, which happens to be the same as Disgaea (and Knights in the Nightmare, which plays nothing like the previous two).

Azure Dreams is just called "Role Playing," so the system is just not expansive enough to really know what type of game you're really playing.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _AbBaNdOn
Well I think the #1 determing factor for a Tactical RPG is UNIT PLACEMENT(mostly using a grid system but sometimes not).
Faeryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Faeryan
Member since 2009 • 113 Posts

Ooh, I knew this was a great topic when I saw the title.

Gladius was already mentioned, it's great.

Fire Emblem: Radian Dawn I've heard is quite tough but due to "bluej33's" comment I'm going to buy it myself.

Front Mission was the mech thing for PS1? If it's the game I'm thinking of it's totally awesome. The amount of modifications you could do to the mechs was brilliant.

FF Tactics as mentioned already I liked a lot too.

Vandal Hearts was nice too, sadly I can't remember if it was exactly a tactics RPG. To tell you the truth I only remember the name and that I loved it.

Also a step out of the japanese RPG genre are Fallout Tactics and Jagged Alliance series.

On the MMORPG side you might want to check a free to play game called Dofus. Not sure if it's being actively developed anymore. If I remember correctly it runs on your browser without any kind of downloads.

Also the first UFO game got mentioned. I remember loving that game like no other back in the days. Also its predecessor, Laser Squad, on Amiga500 was a brilliant game. Wonder if they ever made remakes of those games.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
I haven't played many but out of the ones I've played, I'd vote for Valkyria Chronicles.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
Heroes of Might and Magic III if it counts as one.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#24 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
HoMM III is definitely one of my favorites but most people would see this as a straight TBS. Gladius was one about gladiators and I enjoyed it. I've always liked Tactics Ogre/ Ogre Battle more than FF Tactics. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen has a ton of replay value. Freedom Force controls a lot like an RTS game but with 1950's Comic Book super hero archtypes.
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
I like Disciples, Spellforce and HoMM most. :)
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Not exactly a SRPG, but pretty much plays like one.

Avatar image for shadow_X_hunter
shadow_X_hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 shadow_X_hunter
Member since 2003 • 1192 Posts
Onimusha tactics fot eh GBA, is a game I got on a whim and turned out to me one of the more enjoyable SRPG's I have played. Right up there with the FE's and FF tactics.