RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11669 Posts

Made one of these threads all the way back in 2019 when Iceborne was the new MH worth talking about.

Now with the success of Rise, and 3.0 coming along, would be interesting to see how new Gen5 hunters have broaden their horizons with three entries, along with veterans just recalling how outlandish and excellent these monsters, for over fifteen years have been.

My list is uninteresting and the same, but have expanded it to a top 20. Not asking anyone to go this outlandish, a top 5/10 is fine_

• 1. Zinogre
  • 2. Brachydios
  • 3. Kirin
  • 4. Ukanlos
  • 5. Bazelgeuse
  • 6. Kecha Wacha
  • 7. Khezu
  • 8. Daimyo Hermitaur
  • 9. Rathalos
  • 10. Namielle
  • 11. Dalamadur
  • 12. Rajang
  • 13. Seltas Queen
  • 14. Nargacuga
  • 15. Gore Magala
  • 16. Chameleos
  • 17. Teostra
  • 18. Diablos
  • 19. Nerscylla
  • 20. Yama Tsukami

*Feel free to discuss and state anything related to the monsters of this series. Just please keep it on point, do not turn this into some platform-wars garbage.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

Never really thought about a favorite. But I got some. They are not in order, I hope you'll forgive me. :P

Magnamalo (new fave!)
Ukanlos
Dalamadur
Gore Magala
Nerscylla
Bazelgeuse
Zinogre
Mizutsune
Rajang
Daimyo Hermitaur
Diablos
Najarala
Rathalos
Seltas Queen
Brachydios
Deviljho
Glavenus
Nibelsnarf

All of these are either because I think they look awesome, or that they're really fun to fight.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RSM-HQ

@Litchie: No problem in not using a number for listing, good to see so many monsters at anycase. And is a great list. Two that stand out are_

Magnamalo (new fave!)

Magnamalo is very fun, the demo was very intense too. Get the feeling we'll see a variant when the remaining story progresses in 3.0. Much like Gore Magala I expect some drastic changes to make its abilities more potent. It's tough for me to personally think too highly of any of the new monsters because haven't had enough time to really decide if I like them compared to others. Mag is a great monster however and a lot of depth to its design.

Nibelsnarf

Am a huge fan of tunnelers in Monster Hunter, is why I love Ukanlos. Is a shame we have a lack of good ones in World/Iceborne, Diablos was the only one worth mentioning. Rise is also really lacking in this area, even if Almudron is pretty cool. Nibelsnarf is one of the better examples of a tunneler, and would welcome its return.

Happy hunting!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RSM-HQ

From Update 3.0 Mags helped me against my first All-Mother hunt. And Mag was sadly slapped down like a punk. After a few runs seems any of the high-end monsters can join to help against All-Mother, I've had Teostra, Kushala, and Magnamalo. The purpose of all of them is just to get a free ride honestly then they'll ditch you like a bad habit.

Am curious if anyone got a Rajang for this. Or Chameleos, Valstrax.

Of the three new monsters Apex Zinogre is the toughest of the three in my view. Apex Diablos now being a regular hunt is no joke either. So good to see some challenges now in Rise. All-Mother was more of a sponge than a tough fight, Valstrax wasn't much of an issue, closer to a Kushala Daora in difficulty.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

I'm not a fan of Monster Hunter and struggled to get into it, but I remember going to a video game shop and picked up the PS2 copy because I liked the monster design. What's the name of this monster?

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RSM-HQ

@omegamaster: It's a difficult series to enjoy I've noticed for a few, due to the many systems in the games, and doesn't help that MH typically favors a cooperative experience for replayability and end-game content. Also seen some feel the combat should be closer to a horde slashing Musō, which for me would weaken the series appeal drastically.

Name of the monster is Rathalos_

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Cover monsters are generally termed as 'flag-ship monsters', Rathalos is the OG flagship. Weakness is dragon typically.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

@RSM-HQ: Thanks. I have only played Monster Hunter on the PS2. Haven't touched it for about 15 years.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RSM-HQ

@omegamaster said:

@RSM-HQ: Thanks. I have only played Monster Hunter on the PS2. Haven't touched it for about 15 years.

Have very fond memories of the original.

An extremely rough game yet still was a very charming MH, laying the ground work for refined sequels. Hunting for the very small and peaceful Kokotto Village is something I won't forget_

Loading Video...

Plus I preferred the classic save system of jumping in a big comfy bed. Capcom ditched that with Gen 5, and still a little disappoint with the lack of it

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts
@RSM-HQ said:

@Litchie: No problem in not using a number for listing, good to see so many monsters at anycase. And is a great list. Two that stand out are_

Magnamalo (new fave!)

Magnamalo is very fun, the demo was very intense too. Get the feeling we'll see a variant when the remaining story progresses in 3.0. Much like Gore Magala I expect some drastic changes to make its abilities more potent. It's tough for me to personally think too highly of any of the new monsters because haven't had enough time to really decide if I like them compared to others. Mag is a great monster however and a lot of depth to its design.

Nibelsnarf

Am a huge fan of tunnelers in Monster Hunter, is why I love Ukanlos. Is a shame we have a lack of good ones in World/Iceborne, Diablos was the only one worth mentioning. Rise is also really lacking in this area, even if Almudron is pretty cool. Nibelsnarf is one of the better examples of a tunneler, and would welcome its return.

Happy hunting!

Thenks. Yeah, I really enjoyed Nibelsnarf. And not only because the name is funny. And now that you mention Almudron, that one should definitely be in my list too. Really cool, and very fun to fight. Charging up that great sword and unleash 1000+ damage on the tail ball making it go pop was very satisfying. :P

@RSM-HQ said:

From Update 3.0 Mags helped me against my first All-Mother hunt. And Mag was sadly slapped down like a punk. After a few runs seems any of the high-end monsters can join to help against All-Mother, I've had Teostra, Kushala, and Magnamalo. The purpose of all of them is just to get a free ride honestly then they'll ditch you like a bad habit.

Am curious if anyone got a Rajang for this. Or Chameleos, Valstrax.

No, same as you. I've only got Teostra, Kushala and Magna to come so far. Hmm..

LoonelyTress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LoonelyTress
Member since 2017 • 119 Posts

My overall favorite is Tigrex. It’s such a weird mix of wyvern, and T-rex with nice stripes. I was pretty terrified of it in Freedom2 even though every monster was horrific in the older games. Recentish favorite is Zamtrios. Everyone loves a hefty shark with arms and legs!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RSM-HQ

@loonelytress: Tigrex is commonly a fan favorite since its introduction in Gen 2. A great monster, I think many enjoy that Tigrex is raw power and an iconic roar that rivals Rajang.

Zamtrios is a fun hunt with its two drastic transformations, ranging from big-balloon to armored powerhouse, a shame we have its lesser kin in Rise and not the real deal.

Avatar image for follothetraincj
folloTheTrainCJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 folloTheTrainCJ
Member since 2021 • 1 Posts

@RSM-HQ turned this topic into a game. Feel free to share https://pickr.lol/11e06210-9f94-4e15-b5af-d34ad4be2236