Your favorite games from the 90's......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

User Lists: 0

#1 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Since my original thread on SW about this was closed. I will take a second crack at it.

Let's take a trip down memory lane shall we....

For PC:

1. Half-Life:

The game that revolutionized first person shooter. One of the best titles to ever hit the PC. Had great gameplay, interactivity and looked pretty good using a modified Quake 2 engine.

2. Unreal:

Without a doubt this game was the Crysis of 1998. Had stunning visuals, the len's flare, fantastic lighting, not to mention the levels, just like Crysis were vast compared to other shooters on the market.

3. Duke Nukem 3D

Duke Nukem 3D is probably the most time I spent as a kid playing a game in the 90's. It was SO Different from all the shooters out on the market at the time. Instead of being in dungeons or in an alien world, Duke Nukem 3D sets you in a real-life world where aliens have invaded and it's up to Duke to kick their ass and chew bubble gum. Did I mention the babes, t*** and strippers in the game. This game was about as adult as you can get.

2011 will be a watershed moment in gaming history. The longest time a game has been in development for has finally been released. I finally got to play another Duke game after....what seems like an eternity. Hopefully the next game won't be in development hell for 14 long years. With Gearbox holding the right to the Duke IP and are planning a new Duke game in the upcoming years, I think Duke is in new hands.

And oh yeah...Hail to the King baby!

Quake 2:

One of the best shooters that ID Software has produced in my opinion. It was un-adulturated sex riding on your 3D accelerator (yes people called GPU or graphics cards "3D accelerators") back in the day.

3. The Need For Speed

Who would have thought this would be the begining of the biggest racing franchise in history.

4. One Must Fall 2097:

Played this game to death on my PC. You fight as robots!

5. Raptor Call of the Shadows:

One of the best over the top shooters from the 90's. Had great graphics and gameplay.

6. Warcraft 2:

Ors and humans. I remember the last level being hard. And "are you still touching me".

7. Mortal Kombat

The best fighting series IMO.

8. Tomb Raider

One of the best, if not the best 3rd person action adventure series in history. Video games finally had a prominent and hot feminine lead.

9. Thief

One of the best stealth action adventure game of all time. Wish they would make another Thief game.

10.Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Need For Speed brought a Hot Pursuit mode to the Need For Speed franchise, where you could play as cop and be chased by the cops.

Let's move on to the consoles shall we....

1. Super Mario 64:

One of my favorite games from when I was a kid on the N64.

2. Goldeneye

Best FPS for the N64 in my opinion. An instant ****c. You could play a re-make version of the game on Steam called Goldeneye Source. I play it from time to time. It's free BTW.

3. Mario Cart 64

Sony Playstation:

1. Crash Bandicoot

Have fond memories of playing this on my childhood friend's Playstation.

2. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

Another great game. Wish they would made a re-make.

2. Need For Speed 2 PS

A great sequal to the original Need For Speed. If you had a PC you could played the Need For Speed 2 SE with a Voodoo graphics card.

Other notable mention:

1. Forsaken

A descent like game but the graphics were much better than Descent. It's easily the second best looking game of 1998 after Unreal. GS gave it a score of 8.9. I think this game went under-appreciated.

You could download the full game and run it in HD widescreen for free here:

http://forsakenplanet.tk/

I still remember the commercial they used to play with the slogan, "The Future is Forsaken!" , "The Future is Forsaken!".

2. Sin

This game went underappreciated mainly due to the hype surrounding Half-Life and initial bugs of the game (which was later fixed). Cast including the sexy Elexis Sinclaire, the villian in the game.

3. Mortal Kombat 3

Played this game a lot on the PC. Don't know what the hell is Midway smoking by not bringing the latest Mortal Kombat on the PC.

4. Lion King

A game based on one of my favorite childhood movies, The Lion King!

5. Moto Racer:

This game had super fast speed one of the best acrade type of games to be realeased in 1998. Did I mention how fast it was.

6. Moto Racer 2:

A good sequal to the original Moto Racer.

Lastly I have to pay hommage to 3DFX, one of great pioneers to bring 3D graphics from the 90's. Before there was ATI (now owned by AMD) and nVidia bringing state of the art graphics to the market it was 3DFX that played a leading role in the 90's. The great graphics we have today has it's roots from the great engineers and people who worked at 3DFX. I will never remember forget the first time I saw 3DFX graphics running on the arcade game San Franciso Rush powered by Voodoo graphics. It was quite stunning.

That's all I got for today.

So, what are your guys favorite games from the 90's? :)

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Crash Bandicoot

Spiderman (on PS1)

Jet Moto

Resident Evil 1 and 2 (ps1)

Wipeout (ps1)

Ace Combat 2

Twisted Metal

Super Street Figher II

Mortal Kombat II

NBA Jam (genesis)

Road Rash II (genesis)

Virtua Racing Deluxe (32x)

Area 51 (arcade)

Sonic 2

Need For Speed

Super Mario 64

Golden Eye 007

Mario Kart 64

NBA Showtime (Dreamcast)

and I'm sure I could go on for a while longer

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Personal favorite games I liked during the 1990s

SNES
Big Sky Trooper

Doom Troopers

Eye of the Beholder

Super Star Wars

Super Empire Strikes Back

Super Return of the Jedi

Killer Instinct

Playstation

Tomba

Eihnheinder

Ergheiz

Parasite Eve

Dino Crisis

Tomb Raider

Blasto

Twisted Metal

Gex 1 and 2

Azure Dreams

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

Spyro

Crash

Rayman

Spiderman (PS1)

Road Rash

Snatcher

Tomba

Driver

Sonic

Golden Eye

Gex

Resident Evil (PS1)

Shinobi

Castlevania

Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat

Tekken

Vigilante 8 (LOVED THIS GAME)

Gran Turismo

NBA Action

NFL Blitz

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

There's a ton really. The "golden age" of gaming imo :)

Avatar image for XxOskarxXTBXx51
XxOskarxXTBXx51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 XxOskarxXTBXx51
Member since 2010 • 151 Posts

(No specific order)

Super Mario 64, Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3, Sonic Adventure, Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Unreal Tournament, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and others.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

nameless12345
that, its very hard for me to pick a top 10 of anything though , I tend to change my mind on a regular basis on these kind of things.
yomanjdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 yomanjdf
Member since 2003 • 1166 Posts
final fantasy 7 shining force 2 oddworld 1997 duke nukem 3d sonic 2 half life day of the tentacle larry quest 7 another world flashback red alert starcraft 2 ecco the dolphin the dig
logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#10 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

90s is a bit broad. This is the time of my life when I had the most free time and so did the most gaming.

PC: Warcraft II, Starcraft, SimCity 2000, Diablo

Genesis: Mortal Kombat, first the Sonic games, NBA Jam, Lunar (Sega CD)

PlayStation: Final Fantasy VII, Alundra

N64: Mario 64, GoldenEye, Mario Kart 64

This is based on what I actually remember playing during the actual nineties.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#11 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

All I had was a Sega MegaDrive but my favourite game was-

Sonic 1

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Oh man, I grew up in the mid 80s-90s. So that was my personal golden age of gaming. So many classics and favorites from those years, oh so many:

Super Nintendo:

• Actraiser
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Final Fight
  • Hook
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Maximum Carnage (Spider-Man & Venom)
  • Raiden Trad
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Sega Genesis:

• Altered Beast
  • Comix Zone
  • Golden Axe
  • The Punisher
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Vectorman 1 & 2
  • X-Men 2: The Clone Wars

Playstation:

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Diablo
  • Doom
  • Einhander
  • G-Darius
  • Intelligent Qube
  • King's Field 1 & 2
  • Mega Man: Legends
  • Pac Man World
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Spider-Man

Sega Dreamcast:

• Marvel vs. Capcom
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica

Game Boy/Gameboy Color:

• Bionic Commando: Elite Force
  • DuckTales 1 & 2
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages & Oracle of Seasons
  • Operation C
  • Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
  • Super Mario Land 1 & 2
  • Wario Land
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
My favorite games of the 90s in not particular order: Doom 2 Duke Nukem 3D Mario Kart 64 Syndicate Wars Jazz Jackrabbit Gex Quake 2 Sonic 3 and Knuckles Starcraft Brood War
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Gaming started for me on the SNES, I was just a kid throughout the 90s. I could make a huge list of games that were my favorites in the 90s but I doubt anyone wants to read through 100 games there are my favorites.

Looking back though, there a few games that just stand out over all the others, so I'll list a few.

Donkey Kong Country - In my opinion, this entire series got everything right! The sound/music stand out, as it was simply amazing, esp coming out of that time period! The graphics were unique, there was just nothing else like it at that time. The gameplay was perfect, and I do mean PERFECT. The game had an amazing sense of challenge, but never once did I get frustrated when I died multiple times. The game also reminds me of the time I spent with my cousins all taking turns trying to beat levels on a Saturday morning! To me, Donkey Kong Country was everything a platformer could be in the 90s. THANK YOUR RARE!

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past- My all time favorite Zelda game for many reasons. I'll keep it short, it simply rocked! I was in love with this game the minute I started playing it. In fact, I still find myself still going back every few years to play through the game again. The first time I beat the wizard, I figured thed game was over, and much to my surprise it really had only begun. Transported to the Dark World, I was shocked as to how big the game actually was.

Earthbound - Can you honestly think of a game that had as much personality as Earthbound. This was one of the first RPG games I have ever played and it was by far the best. The music was rare and unique, the game's sense of humor was incredible, the gameplay found a perfect balance between fun and challenging, and I was hooked right from the beginning.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

nameless12345

I second that!

Though modern games are awesome and more functional.

Anyway.

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Super Mario 64

Yoshi's Island

Super Mario World.

Final Fantasy VII,VIII,and Mystic Quest :)

Resident Evil 2.

Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

DKC2

Others.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts

That first post was awesome!! :D oh and by the way, they are actually bringing out a remake of Oddworld! last I heard of it it is going to be released in January (this was a few months ago) in HD on the Xbox 360 and PS3 I think :D. I can't wait for that one. As for my personal favourites of the 90's... here they are. All on the PS1, by the way unless stated: Tomb Raider I and II - Tomb Raider is one of my favourite series, but I and II are my favourites. Ahh, such awesome games :D. Metal Gear Solid - The start of another of my favourite series. It's still an amazing and unique game! Resident Evil series, mainly2 and 3.Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey - Both were great but this was my favourite one. GTA (original), London AND 2. I really couldn't pick one over the other. GTA1 started it all, London was awesome and different and 2 had a lot of new features and better graphics. Driver 1 and 2 - GTA before GTA! (kinda) Croc Sonic The Hedgehog 1 and 2 - Sega Mega Drive. I played these games sooo much. Only recently played 3, and it's pretty awesome. Road Rash - Sega Mega Drive. Spent as much time playing this as I did Sonic! Back to PS1 - Doom - Again both were great, but Doom 1 was my favourite. Crash series 1 to 3. Die Hard Trilogy Overboard - I loved playing multiplayer with my brothers on this one. So funny and fun! :P Duke Nukem 3D All of the PS1 Wrestling games (pretty much). My favourites being SmackDown!'s 1 and 2. Also.. actually, I would be listing too many if I did that :P Those were my games of the 90's, pretty much :).

Sorry for the block paragraph, something happened during editing :(

SpikeyAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SpikeyAss
Member since 2011 • 221 Posts

There're too many games to list. You would've been better off asking people's top five favourites for every 90's console (or something along those lines).

That first post was awesome!! :D oh and by the way, they are actually bringing out a remake of Oddworld! last I heard of it it is going to be released in January (this was a few months ago) in HD on the Xbox 360 and PS3 I think :D. I can't wait for that one.

Ashley_wwe

No, they're just doing Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (the FPS on the original Xbox).

tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts
A LINK TO THE PAST!. anywoo, resident evil 1-3, starcraft, quake2, duke nukem 3d, metal gear solid, any of the final fantasies, doom1+2, shadow warrior, c&c red alert, super mario world, donkey kong country(all3), time crisis, half life, parasite eve, castlevania sotn, and a lot more i've failed to mention. i'm probably going to be the only one to mention it but, Abuse (dos) is one of my favorite games from the 90's.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#19 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

GreekGameManiac

Funny, that's actually one of my least favourite :o (Underworld being my least favourite, never played the PS3 version, but the PS2 version was bad)

My favourites from the 90's were Sonic 2, Tomb Raider, Darkstalkers 3, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros.64.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ashley_wwe
No, they're just doing Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (the FPS on the original Xbox).SpikeyAss
"It has since been announced that HD remakes of Abe's Oddysee (as well as possibly Exoddus), Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath have been planned for Playstation 3, PSVita, and PC release. Also, the next game in the series will be the completed Oddworld: The Hand of Odd real-time strategy game." ;). But wait... once AGAIN no Xbox 360?! just like many other HD re-releases out there... even though I swear reading Xbox 360 at one point :(!
Funny, that's actually one of my least favourite :o (Underworld being my least favourite, never played the PS3 version, but the PS2 version was bad)Dudersaper
I feel the same. TLR is like half and half. As for Underworld, it was cut down a LOT in the PS2 from graphics to length (as far as I am aware), but I own it on the Xbox 360 and I still think that it is a pretty average game. Not a bad game, just average. Of the latest era, Anniversary is my favourite, followed by Legend. But yeah, Tomb Raider's 1 and 2 are FANTASTIC! :D.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts
[QUOTE="SpikeyAss"]No, they're just doing Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath (the FPS on the original Xbox).Ashley_wwe
"It has since been announced that HD remakes of Abe's Oddysee (as well as possibly Exoddus), Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath have been planned for Playstation 3, PSVita, and PC release. Also, the next game in the series will be the completed Oddworld: The Hand of Odd real-time strategy game." ;). But wait... once AGAIN no Xbox 360?! just like many other HD re-releases out there... even though I swear reading Xbox 360 at one point :(!
Funny, that's actually one of my least favourite :o (Underworld being my least favourite, never played the PS3 version, but the PS2 version was bad)Dudersaper
I feel the same. TLR is like half and half. As for Underworld, it was cut down a LOT in the PS2 from graphics to length (as far as I am aware), but I own it on the Xbox 360 and I still think that it is a pretty average game. Not a bad game, just average. Of the latest era, Anniversary is my favourite, followed by Legend. But yeah, Tomb Raider's 1 and 2 are FANTASTIC! :D.

Underworld gets a 5.5 or a 6/10 from me, I have it on PS3, its not a bad game, but it kinda feels like a worse version of Legends, with more bugs and glitches too (one of which killed my game and forced me to start again) and I really don't know how Abe's Odyssey will look in HD, it might actually end up looking worse unless some extensive work is done on it.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#22 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
[QUOTE="Ashley_wwe"] I feel the same. TLR is like half and half. As for Underworld, it was cut down a LOT in the PS2 from graphics to length (as far as I am aware), but I own it on the Xbox 360 and I still think that it is a pretty average game. Not a bad game, just average. Of the latest era, Anniversary is my favourite, followed by Legend. But yeah, Tomb Raider's 1 and 2 are FANTASTIC! :D.

I think it was cut down, some videos on youtube show some stuff I didn't see in the game. And I don't know if it was just my copy that had problems, but the final boss didn't fight AT ALL :? she's launch a fireball every few minutes but that's about it, then I could freely run around and pull the trigger things and the boss would not fight :? And what's with the Kraken fight? It doesn't move at all either :? My top 5 would probably be something like Legend > Anniversary > Angel of Darkness (yeah, I'm one of those that enjoyed it) > Tomb Raider 2 > Tomb Raider
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

These:

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ashley_wwe
Underworld gets a 5.5 or a 6/10 from me, I have it on PS3, its not a bad game, but it kinda feels like a worse version of Legends, with more bugs and glitches too (one of which killed my game and forced me to start again) and I really don't know how Abe's Odyssey will look in HD, it might actually end up looking worse unless some extensive work is done on it.Darkman2007
I know what you mean. The colours also didn't seem as appealing as Legend's, because you saw a lot of dark greens and the like. It's not a bad game by any means, but it does have some negative stuff about it. As for Abe's Oddysey, I think it all boils down to what TV you have (for e.g. HD or standard)
I think it was cut down, some videos on youtube show some stuff I didn't see in the game. And I don't know if it was just my copy that had problems, but the final boss didn't fight AT ALL :? she's launch a fireball every few minutes but that's about it, then I could freely run around and pull the trigger things and the boss would not fight :? And what's with the Kraken fight? It doesn't move at all either :? My top 5 would probably be something like Legend > Anniversary > Angel of Darkness (yeah, I'm one of those that enjoyed it) > Tomb Raider 2 > Tomb RaiderDudersaper
I can't remember how the last boss fight was to be honest. I do remember it, but I remember it bored me and frustrated me to no end. I actually had to look up a walkthrough... something you really shouldn't have to do for a boss fight, as you just have to be skillful at the game, usually. I don't mind AoD, but I do feel that it gets a bit dull towards the end of the game (mainly when you start using Kurtis). The first half of the game seems so much more fun to me. It starts to get a bit stale around the time when you go to Prague (The Monstrum Crime Scene). But I personally think that TR1 and 2 are the best, pretty much equal. :)
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Waaaay to many.

FFVII will always hold a special spot in my heart:)

Los9090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#26 Los9090
Member since 2004 • 7288 Posts

Waaaay to many.

FFVII will always hold a special spot in my heart:)

Samslayer
Yeah, what a great decade. SNES, Genesis, PS, 64...
Avatar image for CrazyRacerXtrem
CrazyRacerXtrem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CrazyRacerXtrem
Member since 2011 • 27 Posts
ah first PC game i ever played was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and The first Prince Of Persia
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Sonic Adventure, Zelda Ocarina of Time and Mystical Ninja come to mind.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

mgs

thps2

tr2

pokemonred