Calo64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Calo64
Member since 2020 • 15 Posts

Hey there, just wondering what everyone's favorite weapon from a First Person Shooter has been over the years?

For me, having a good alt fire mode adds so much more to the gun play and I've featured the absolute work of art that is Painkiller's shotgun here for all to enjoy. There's not much that comes close to how satisfying it feels to blow apart freshly frozen demons! See what you think:

So, what's your favorite boomstick?

...and happy Easter!

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8770 Posts

I like a da AK47.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

F.E.A.R. VK-12 shotgun

Loading Video...

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

Probably the double barrel shotgun in D00M IV (2016)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

The Fatebringer in Destiny.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#6 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

I've always been partial to shotgun or shotgun-type weapons.In particular:

• Unreal Tournament flak cannon. The alt-fire was pretty nice too (shrapnel grenade). Really turned it into a multipurpose weapon.
  • FEAR's seemingly bland but incredibly satisfying shotgun
  • Counter-Strike's Benelli. I was a damn surgeon with that gun, I loved it. Not sure if it's true or not, but I took pleasure in how not a lot of people used shotguns in that game but I did haha.

I also like large-caliber assault rifles, machine guns, etc. Something about shooting 7.62 rounds at a slower, more deliberate pace than the "rat-a-tat-tat" buzzing of a smaller caliber rifle is satisfying. I think they might also be called "Battle Rifles" on occasion. Of note:

• FN SCAR 7.62 as it is usually portrayed in games
  • AK-47, particularly in Counter-Strike. That first round was so damn accurate out of that gun.
  • M-14 and all it's different forms. Really like it in most modern games where it can be tricked out into something cool looking.

Calo64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Calo64

@RSM-HQ: Once that thing is upgraded, its a show stopper. So much fun. I'm not sure if you have played Doom Eternal yet, would like to hear what you thought of what they did with that one. The chain grabber is fun, but so few shots to be had with the ammo limitation!

Calo64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Calo64

@mrbojangles25 said:
  • FEAR's seemingly bland but incredibly satisfying shotgun

This is what I thought exactly - on the surface, its bland, and I'm sure any other developer would have messed it up, yet it gives you so much satisfying feedback and the slo-mo gunplay is glorious.

I actually found the FEAR 2 shotgun slightly better than the original, but both are incredible to play. I'll be covering it very soon in the next video or so as I get stuck into 2005's games next.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#10 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@calo64 said:

@RSM-HQ: I'm not sure if you have played Doom Eternal yet, would like to hear what you thought of what they did with that one.

Hmm, I've been very sceptical on Eternal overall. It just looks like a very different game than what I expect from D00M. D00M IV seemed to have been in the spirit of id Softwares best games; Quake and D00M series. Taking all the best parts of previous games. It's an intense horror ride of bullets and arena awareness.

I'm sure all the praise Eternal has gotten is justified, id Software are a very good developer, I even liked Quake: Champions which I have over 300 hours in that game (despite its crippling flaws).

But I dunno, Eternal seems it ditched the horror for over the top cheese. Weird platforming, bloating out the story (my least favorite part of D00M IV), and less about the hell monsters and now a constant praise of "The D00M Slayer". . . Since when was the character we play as an important factor to these games?

I expect that wacky tone from Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, and even Brutal Legend. But for D00M, it just seems out of place/ having a few identity issues.

May grab Eternal later in the year and judge more for myself. But for now I'm more interested in id Softwares next game. Hopefully they tone it down a notch.